Pseudo-Official 3805 Thread - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 2692 Old 03-20-2004, 08:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Kwkarth apparently hooked up composite connections as well and was able to display functions when using component. See "Just got my 3805" thread. I don't know...but he seems to have something working.

J.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 2692 Old 03-20-2004, 08:13 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Here's the deal on the OSD - the best I can tell. I too have the 3805 and the OSD overlay will work on component, but your component input on your TV/Monitor must be able to accept a 480i signal. On my Sammy DLP Component 1 will accept 480i/p and Components 2&3 will accept 480p and higher, not 480i.

Which sucks because my HD Sat box is obviously fed thru component 2(or3) and the on-screen won't work. When the 3805 monitor out is fed to my Sammy Component 1, the OSD works, but Component 1 on my Sammy won't accept a high def signal.

Ultimately, it won't matter for me cause this going to fed to a new Optoma H76 PJ whose component inputs accept 480i through 1080i.

Otherwise, great little receiver so far.
post #33 of 2692 Old 03-20-2004, 09:57 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I got my 3805 last night (replacing a 3803) and so far so good. The remote is kind of cool but I will stick my my MX500. I have not been able to do any type of critical listening yet to compare to 3803 but so far it does sound as good if not better. I like the overall look of the receiver: I was getting tired of 2800 then 3802 then 3803. The display is nice but quit larger than the one on the 3803. It might actually be a distraction during a movie.
I am glad I sold my 3803 for $700 and bought the 3805 for $900. The $200 upgrade was worth it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 2692 Old 03-20-2004, 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by JasonColeman
Kwkarth apparently hooked up composite connections as well and was able to display functions when using component. See "Just got my 3805" thread. I don't know...but he seems to have something working.
J.

Yes that is correct. Here's the deal:
The internal character generator seems to only function at 480i. So If you're watching any source material that is 480p, 720p, 1080i, etc, the receiver will NOT overlay setup screens on top of those component images, but will blank whatever source you're watching and send the character generator output to the component outs at 480i. As dfrey mentioned, your monitor has to be able to synch with that signal to display the setup screens. I have my PJ hooked up to the component out of the 3805 and my HD Cable receiver and progressive DVD hooked to component inputs of the receiver. I wanted to continue to be able to view my video source while tweaking the setup menu so I hooked a composit out from both the DVD and Cable receiver to the appropriate composit video ins in the 3805. Now when I bring up the setup menu, the 3805 overlays the setup screen on top of the composit version of whatever video source I happen to be watching and sends it to the component out. The on screen volume display overlay does not show up on the component out regardless.

ÂOutside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. --Groucho Marx
post #35 of 2692 Old 03-21-2004, 05:14 PM

Well I have spent a good number of hours playing around with my 3805 I picked up on Friday. So far basically I am pleased. I can live with the unit not being able to do a video overlay when viewing component signal sources. The unit does display the setup menus on the component outputs, just not as an overlay on top of the existing video signal.

I however have an issue with the new remote that comes with the 3805. While it looks really cool. And how it lights up when it is picked up there is a flaw, at least on mine anyway. I have discovered that sometimes the display on my 3805 keeps changing intensity. Even though I set it to be bright sometimes I notice it has gone to dim or even to off. And I found out why. The remote is sending out the command to toggle the display brightness on the 3805. If I set the remote down on a hard surface the jolt is triggering the button for brightness. Sometimes if I try to use the remote and use buttons that are near the display brightness button it keeps changing the brightness even though I'm trying to stay away from that button. I also notice that it feels like the pressure needed to toggle the brightness is very light. It would seem that on my remote the button under the flat surface is over sensitive. I would rather have a remote that has real buttons. Too hard to 'feel' what is being pressed.

So far the audio quality is good. The remote I say is a big letdown.
post #36 of 2692 Old 03-22-2004, 01:14 AM

My remote was defective as well. I took it back to my dealer and they gave me a new remote on the spot.

ÂOutside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. --Groucho Marx
post #37 of 2692 Old 03-22-2004, 06:28 AM

Liked: 11
Seems Denon dropped the ball on the remote for the 3805. Mine only displays half of the buttons. Seems to work overall but its a pain to use when your not sure exactly where the buttons are. Taking it back to the dealer today to see if they will swap it out.
post #38 of 2692 Old 03-22-2004, 06:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

So as far as the issue with the 3805 and component OSD, is this new to Denon equipment? Is this something that is or will be showing up in other manufacturer's receivers or is this an atypical setup. How does Yamaha's 1400 or 2400 do OSD?

Kind of surprising to hear that there are already 2 defective remote controls out there. Hopefully those will be isolated experiences.

Has anybody received their Denon mics yet?

J.
post #39 of 2692 Old 03-22-2004, 08:40 AM

Quote:

So as far as the issue with the 3805 and component OSD, is this new to Denon equipment? Is this something that is or will be showing up in other manufacturer's receivers or is this an atypical setup. How does Yamaha's 1400 or 2400 do OSD?
Has anybody received their Denon mics yet?
J.

Re the OSD, the 3805 and some of the newer AVReceivers now have the ability to at least output *something* to the component outs, even if it is only 480i. On most receivers, *no OSD output* to component outputs is the norm, so at least they're moving in the right direction.

post #40 of 2692 Old 03-22-2004, 09:47 AM

Liked: 11
Just returning from Tweeter's. Showed them what the remote was/wasn't doing properlly and they exchanged it with another remote. No problems what so ever. Thats the kind of customer service that keeps people like me going back to they're store for more business.
post #41 of 2692 Old 03-22-2004, 12:01 PM

Can anyone tell me why "Multi" is lit on the display? I have PowerAmp set to Surround Back (no SB speakers, though), Zone2 and Zone3 inputs set to Source, and Zone2 and Zone3 powered off.

//t0pher
post #42 of 2692 Old 03-22-2004, 07:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

How many owners of the 3805 have had problems (other than familiarity) with their remotes?

Also, have any of you (lucky *******s) gotten your mics yet?

J.
post #43 of 2692 Old 03-22-2004, 07:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

That wasn't supposed to look that dirty. I just said *******, it's a type of fencing sword...like an epee.
post #44 of 2692 Old 03-22-2004, 07:33 PM

If you want to use the Behringer microphone instead of waiting for the Denon one, how do you hook it up. Apparently it needs some sort of external amplifier and conversoin cable to be able to connect to the 3805?

azarby
post #45 of 2692 Old 03-22-2004, 07:40 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Here is the other mic that will work according to Denon, for a cost of $39. But you will need a adapter. As it comes with a XLR connector. So figure on about another $8 to $10 for the needed adapter, because lit looks like you will need two. Both a XLR to 1/4" and then a 1/4" to 1/8"

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshow...25&ctab=2#Tabs
post #46 of 2692 Old 03-22-2004, 07:45 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally posted by azarby
If you want to use the Behringer microphone instead of waiting for the Denon one, how do you hook it up. Apparently it needs some sort of external amplifier and conversion cable to be able to connect to the 3805?

You may want to email Denon about that, as they are the ones that said the Behringer microphone would work with the 3805. But if needs a amp or some sort of "boost" then I would guess it needs one of these adapter, with a transformer in it. BUT!!!!! I do NOT know this to be a fact, and or if it will work!!!!
So like I said, it would be a LOT better if you email and ask Denon, as they said that the Behringer was one that indeed would work.

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=240-398
post #47 of 2692 Old 03-22-2004, 09:11 PM

Quote:

How many owners of the 3805 have had problems (other than familiarity) with their remotes?

J.

My remote does not work properly. It keeps sending out commands for my display brightness even if I press a different button. Also, if I set it down on a hard surface the jolt make the remote send out false signals making changes to my 3805.

Neo
post #48 of 2692 Old 03-23-2004, 05:16 AM

NeoSNJ

I assume the remote is a LED type not wireless!
cheers laurie
post #49 of 2692 Old 03-23-2004, 01:14 PM

My remote works fine, but there is a "rattle" in it. So I will be returning it. Other then that all is well, and I really like the receiver.
post #50 of 2692 Old 03-23-2004, 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by NeoSNJ

I discovered that I could use my Radio Shack sound level meter as a calibration microphone ! See the pictures in the post following this one. I set my Radio Shack meter to the 80 scale, C weighting, and fast response mode. Connected an audio coax from it to the V. AUX L jack on the front panel of the 3805 and in the setup menu of the 3805 I selected V. AUX instead of MIC. During the auto EQ setup it takes the signal being fed into it from that input instead of the microphone jack !! And it worked. It successfully determined the speaker configuration/distance/ and EQ settings. (Well I guess one could say that the EQ settings are hard to tell if they are really correct or not but they sound pretty good once applied). So there you have it. I'll post more as I play more with it.

NeoSNJ,

I have a Radio Shack SLM (digital) and tried the same thing. WOW! It really increased the quality of the sound quite bit. I set the "ROOM EQ" on "FLAT" and it really gives it a nice punch. All channels have a consistent tone and the surround effect is cleaner. The Delay Measurements were pretty darn accurate as well. I, like you, am not sure of the "correct" setting for the EQ area, but it sure sounds better to me. Pretty neat trick.

Cabber
post #51 of 2692 Old 03-23-2004, 02:59 PM

Cabber... sounds like you had good luck with the SLM also. I'll have to try the 'flat' setting and see how that sounds.

I still have a Denon mic on order so whenever that comes in it will be interesting to see how it compares. Some folks have said that the radio shack SLM does not have a flat enough response to be accurate for EQ measurements. But for now they appear to work fairly well.

I just wish my remote would work correctly. Darn thing really is a let down.

Neo
post #52 of 2692 Old 03-23-2004, 03:23 PM

The brick of a remote that came with my 3805 just sits on the shelf. I've been using my harnony 659 which I had programmed for the old 3803. Didn't even have to change any of programming. Small lighter and easier to use.

azarby
post #53 of 2692 Old 03-23-2004, 03:27 PM

Bummer on the remote. Mine seems to be working fine....for now. Thanks for the headsup on the SLM trick. I have the mic on order as well so we will see the difference when it arrives. Quick question. I was lsitening to DIrect TV music (Channel 824) via the optical input on the Denon today and turned it up as loud as it would go 8db I believe. The sound wasn't overly loud and I was curious if you have cranked out those Klispch Speakers yet to see how far they can be pushed. I have the same speakers and wasn't impressed with the output. I thought it would be much louder than it was.

Just as a side note, the DVD Audio and Regular CDs are a bit louder, but not as loud as the Yamaha I used to have. Same wattage.

Cabber
post #54 of 2692 Old 03-23-2004, 05:14 PM

I'll let you know cabber... Will try to give that a try later tonight.

Neo
post #55 of 2692 Old 03-23-2004, 06:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Cabber-

Which Yamaha did you used to have? I've heard that apples-to-apples, Denon is usually less conservative with their receiver power estimates which would lead me to believe that their 120 wpc might out-do Yamaha's 120 wpc. As far as the Yamaha 1400 or 2400, you're preaching to the converted...the 2400 was my first choice (and may still be). I have found myself with the need for 3 component inputs, which led me to the interest in the 3805. I definitely need a receiver with some meat on its bones that can drive Paradigm Studio 100's until my continuously vapid A/V budget recovers from whichever receiver I end up getting and supplement the setup with a front-end amp.

J.
post #56 of 2692 Old 03-23-2004, 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by cabber
Bummer on the remote. Mine seems to be working fine....for now. Thanks for the headsup on the SLM trick. I have the mic on order as well so we will see the difference when it arrives. Quick question. I was lsitening to DIrect TV music (Channel 824) via the optical input on the Denon today and turned it up as loud as it would go 8db I believe. The sound wasn't overly loud and I was curious if you have cranked out those Klispch Speakers yet to see how far they can be pushed. I have the same speakers and wasn't impressed with the output. I thought it would be much louder than it was.

Just as a side note, the DVD Audio and Regular CDs are a bit louder, but not as loud as the Yamaha I used to have. Same wattage.

You may in fact be dealing with an input/sensitivity issue rather than a power issue.

post #57 of 2692 Old 03-23-2004, 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by NeoSNJ
I'll let you know cabber... Will try to give that a try later tonight.

Neo

Thanks

Cabber
post #58 of 2692 Old 03-23-2004, 07:41 PM

[quote]Originally posted by JasonColeman
Cabber-

Which Yamaha did you used to have? I've heard that apples-to-apples, Denon is usually less conservative with their receiver power estimates which would lead me to believe that their 120 wpc might out-do Yamaha's 120 wpc. As far as the Yamaha 1400 or 2400, you're preaching to the converted...the 2400 was my first choice (and may still be). I have found myself with the need for 3 component inputs, which led me to the interest in the 3805. I definitely need a receiver with some meat on its bones that can drive Paradigm Studio 100's until my continuously vapid A/V budget recovers from whichever receiver I end up getting and supplement the setup with a front-end amp.

J.
[/QUOTE

I had the 2400 for about a month. I really liked it is alot, but thought the Denon (with my Denon 5900 DVD) would be a better fit. The "Denon iLink" is pretty slick, but having to use analog multi channel inputs for SACD really defeats the purpose. If I didn't have to do that I would be using two wires into the receiver. Ilink for all SACD, DVDA/V , CD and the Optical from my Direct TV receiver. As you can tell, I only use the receiver for Audio no video passing. I'm still trying to figure out if this is the one for me. That Yammy is pretty sweet.

Cabber
post #59 of 2692 Old 03-23-2004, 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by kwkarth
You may in fact be dealing with an input/sensitivity issue rather than a power issue.

Could you elaborate a bit on that? I'm very interested in your thoughts. Thanks.

Cabber
post #60 of 2692 Old 03-23-2004, 07:56 PM

Just a quick update. I sat down to listen to some DirectTV music and started with the volume at the bottom (-80db). The room is completely silent and I have no hearing issues. With the remote in hand I couldn't hear the music from -80db to -60db. At -60db the music started in very softly and stayed the same up to -50db. From -50db on up it gradually gets louder, but still is not putting out the power I would expect. I sit in a room that is 25 ft long and 15 ft wide. Basically a media room. I'm running 7.1 set up and one would think that with the volume all the way up, you couldn't hear yourself talk. No problem here. DO you think it may have something to do with the DirectTV feed because DVD A does get louder.

Cabber
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page