Do power conditioners really work? - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #31 of 44 Old 03-16-2005, 01:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
Originally posted by Tom Grooms
I've got half that stack in my personal reference system (HTPS-7000SS+MPA2250). Its good stuff!
And I've got the other half(AVS2000/HTPS7000). Neither is current limiting. Actually while watching a movie(LOTR) the most my setup draws is 3.5A and thats with a 56TXi/NADS250 combo hooked to the 7000 along with the rest of the gear.

Kevin

LG OLED65B7P.
Denon X8500H, OPPO 203
Paradigm Prestige 95F, 55C, 25S and Prestige 1000SW.
PS Audio P12, AQ1200
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 44 Old 03-16-2005, 02:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 213
3.5 AMPS? I draw over 5 amps at idle. 10-11-12 happens regularly when @ reference levels. The Dynaudio+MPA combo pulls some current.

Hear me now, Listen to me later....
post #33 of 44 Old 03-16-2005, 02:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
3.5 AMPS? I draw over 5 amps at idle. 10-11-12 happens regularly when @ reference levels. The Dynaudio+MPA combo pulls some current.
Whats your setup consist off to make it use that much juice? At idle I draw 2 amps.

Kevin

LG OLED65B7P.
Denon X8500H, OPPO 203
PS Audio P12, AQ1200
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 44 Old 03-16-2005, 03:23 PM
DMF
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally posted by pepar
That's not true. I can't believe no one has mentioned parallel conditioning a la the RGPC units. While one plugs A chain devices directly into the units, amps are plugged into an outlet on the same circuit, preferably the one next to the RGPC's plug.
You want to explain that, please? Sounds like the amp outlet bypasses the conditioner circuits. If it doesn't, how is there no load limit on the circuit?

No matter where you go. ... There you are.
post #35 of 44 Old 03-16-2005, 03:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Before buying a Monster HTS3600 I had read an excellent independent review of the HTS3500, the previous year's model. Even though the review (I believe if memory serves it was at AudioReview.com) extolled the virtues of the difference it made in his system I was still skeptical going into the store. But I needed some surge protection anyway, and the salesman of course also claimed how important it was to get the most out of higher end system. I didn't have the room for anything bigger so I went ahead and bought the 3600.

To this day I am not sure if it makes a real difference or not, mainly because I started with it from Day 1 when I bought most of my current system, and it's just too difficult to get back there and change things so I have not experimented with it in and out of the system. I plugged all of my components (including my receiver) in and everything looked and sounded great, so I didn't mess with it.

However when I added a separate amp a few months later, the amp manufacturer (Odyssey Audio) strongly urged me to NOT plug it into anything other than straight into the wall outlet, saying that this method would produce the most open and detailed sound. I have read on another dedicated Odyssey owners forum that their own experience supports what the manufacturer recommends, after having tried it both through a conditioner (even some very high end ones) and straight into the wall [many owners have dedicated 20 amp circuits just for the amp(s)]. I don't particularly like the amp going completely unprotected (it stays turned on all of the time - also as recommended) but I want the most sound quality that it can give, so I continue to follow this recommendation.

I do have one question on the Monster, and it also applies to other conditioners that show a read-out of the actual voltage going to the pieces plugged in: at what lower voltage will sound and/or picture quality begin to suffer? My HTS3600 always reads 120 (or maybe 119) with the system turned off, but when I fire everthing up and maybe turn a few lights on in the room, it sometimes drops to 118 and even 117. The HTS3600 will not regulate the power (as the 7000 model and other makes apparently do). I have not ever seen it go any lower than 117, but when does the load begin to affect performance? Anybody know?

Vizio M80-C3
Denon AVR-X7200WA
Odyssey HT-3 Plus
Infinity Prelude MTS
HSU ULS-15 MK2 DualDrive
Oppo BDP-83
post #36 of 44 Old 03-16-2005, 03:52 PM
DMF
AVS Forum Special Member

I think you're fine down to below 110V, depending on the specific power supply.

On the, amp, I'd follow Odyssey's recommendations.

post #37 of 44 Old 03-16-2005, 04:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I don't think Brickwall or SurgeX are current limiting. You could try getting one of those and plug the amp and the monster conditioner into it.
post #38 of 44 Old 03-16-2005, 05:14 PM
Wireless member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1536 Post(s)
Liked: 965
Quote:
Originally posted by DMF
You want to explain that, please? Sounds like the amp outlet bypasses the conditioner circuits. If it doesn't, how is there no load limit on the circuit?
For amps, the power conditioners are "wired" parallel, i.e. not in a series. I am not a shill or even a RGPC fanboy; I am merely a believer. If you've never heard of them, you owe it to yourself to at least learn. Here's their site.

Q – HOW DOES RGPC DIFFER FROM ALL OTHER POWER RELATED PRODUCTS?

Answer
• RGPC is wired in parallel to the A.C. line, between the A.C. outlets and the components, so it cannot limit current because it adds no resistance to the line.
• Wired to the hot and neutral leg of the circuit, electricity doesn’t actually flow through the device; therefore, power flows straight through to your equipment.
• It restores back onto your soft or weak AC line instantaneous high-current-on-demand to satisfy transients of power hungry amplifiers and powered subwoofers. Names upon request.
• To our knowledge it is the only power management device recommended by so many manufacturers of amplifiers and video equipment.

"The future is already here, it's just not evenly distributed." W. Gibson

"I like the future, I'm in it." F. Theater
post #39 of 44 Old 03-16-2005, 05:22 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I purchased this one from Belkin's PureAV line :

http://catalog.belkin.com/PureAV_det...duct_Id=178914

I made too many changes to my system when I added it, therefore I can't say for sure whether or not it has improved anything. I found it on the Net for $211. It has 3 inputs for high current equipment and my HK 7200 fills one of those spots. I wish it had one more high current input because I have 3 Outlaw M-block amps which leaves one of my amps without a high current input. All seems well though, I just watched Saw(man that 6.1 really rocks!), King Authur, Friday Night Lights & Forgotten. No problems using my Belkin PureAv conditioner all the movies sound great! Not to mention it is a good looking piece of equipment and solidly built too.
post #40 of 44 Old 03-16-2005, 07:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Kevin. W
Whats your setup consist off to make it use that much juice? At idle I draw 2 amps.

Kevin
Denon 3910 Universal player, Sony XA-9000ES SACD player, Pioneer VSX-56TXi, PS Audio GCP-200 (2 channel pre-amp), Monster MPA 2250 two channel power amp (80 lbs), Adcom GFA-5503 three channel amp (center/rears), Velodyne DD-15 servo sub and a big plasma :D

post #41 of 44 Old 03-16-2005, 07:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Denon 3910 Universal player, Sony XA-9000ES SACD player, Pioneer VSX-56TXi, PS Audio GCP-200 (2 channel pre-amp), Monster MPA 2250 two channel power amp (80 lbs), Adcom GFA-5503 three channel amp (center/rears), Velodyne DD-15 servo sub and a big plasma :D
Holy c#$p! Nice setup. Do you run your sub through the 7000 or directly into the wall?

Kevin

LG OLED65B7P.
Denon X8500H, OPPO 203
PS Audio P12, AQ1200
post #42 of 44 Old 03-16-2005, 08:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Thanks, It's a really good two channel rig with a HT layered on top. 80% of the time the pio/adcom/denon/velo pieces are not even powered up. Although thats changing because of that damned discrete multichannel music. ;)

Everything goes through the Monster HTPS7000 Sig except the PS Audio GCP-200 and the Sony XA-9000ES. They run off a PS Audio Power Plant. The sub has a 14' power cord fed directly into the unbalanced, "High current" port in the back of the HTPS

post #43 of 44 Old 03-16-2005, 09:04 PM
DMF
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by pepar
For amps, the power conditioners are "wired" parallel, i.e. not in a series. I am not a shill or even a RGPC fanboy; I am merely a believer. If you've never heard of them, you owe it to yourself to at least learn. Here's their site.

Q – HOW DOES RGPC DIFFER FROM ALL OTHER POWER RELATED PRODUCTS?

Answer
• RGPC is wired in parallel to the A.C. line, between the A.C. outlets and the components, so it cannot limit current because it adds no resistance to the line.
• Wired to the hot and neutral leg of the circuit, electricity doesn’t actually flow through the device; therefore, power flows straight through to your equipment.
• It restores back onto your soft or weak AC line instantaneous high-current-on-demand to satisfy transients of power hungry amplifiers and powered subwoofers. Names upon request.
• To our knowledge it is the only power management device recommended by so many manufacturers of amplifiers and video equipment.
They're not entirely clear on what they do, and some of the ad copy is simply nonsense, e.g. "electricity doesn’t actually flow through the device; therefore, power flows straight through to your equipment." But it looks like a 1:1 isolation transformer, maybe a ferro-resonant. Not sure that it qualifies as a "power conditioner", nor do I see much advantage (other than storing energy and maybe regulating voltage), but you may be right that it doesn't limit current. Wish they had a better technical explanation.

post #44 of 44 Old 03-16-2005, 09:46 PM
Wireless member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1536 Post(s)
Liked: 965
Quote:
Originally posted by DMF
They're not entirely clear on what they do, and some of the ad copy is simply nonsense, e.g. "electricity doesn’t actually flow through the device; therefore, power flows straight through to your equipment." But it looks like a 1:1 isolation transformer, maybe a ferro-resonant. Not sure that it qualifies as a "power conditioner", nor do I see much advantage (other than storing energy and maybe regulating voltage), but you may be right that it doesn't limit current. Wish they had a better technical explanation.
I understand your skepticism completely. Their statement about "electricity doesn’t actually flow through the device; therefore, power flows straight through to your equipment." is addressing the hook up scheme for power amps. Sources, pre/pros, projectors, etc DO plug into the units, with the additional benefit being direct surge protection. As the power conditioning effect on amplifiers is not immediate, but takes several minutes, I'm guessing there's circuitry that acts like a big flywheel absorbing over-voltage and giving back energy in under-voltage situations, i.e. when power amps hit peak current draw. If you unplug the RGPC, the loss of conditioning is nearly immediate. Google for "Richard Gray Power Company reviews" or link to them from their site. I thought it was snake oil, too, when I first heard of them. I still think a lot of things are snake oil, but not these anymore.

"The future is already here, it's just not evenly distributed." W. Gibson

"I like the future, I'm in it." F. Theater
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page