MARANTZ SR7500 "PROTECT" PROBLEMS amp shutting off - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 11-17-2005, 10:55 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My new marantz sr7500 is having a rather odd problem. During high peaks in sound, not really even near reference volumn at -20 , the amp will go into "protect" mode shut down for 10 seconds, then restart. I've checked all loose wires, and there is nothing blocking the amp to get proper cooling, what else could be the issue? Is there anyway to just disable this feature, as I don't know understand why its doing it ? If my speaker wires are not phased properly red/black could that be it?

Is this "protect" mode only a feature on certain marantz because I never had this problem with my MARANTS SR5500 in the exact same setup 2 weeks ago, speakers/wires, ect.

Thank You so much!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 11-17-2005, 08:09 PM
ekb
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 12
This is very often due to shorting in the speaker wires either at the receiver connections or the speaker connections. It can be a single thin strand that you might not have noticed unless you inspect carefully. It will not be due to phasing.

Ed
post #3 of 8 Old 11-17-2005, 08:51 PM

What speakers are you running?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 11-17-2005, 10:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Is your crossover set to 80? Try that and see if that solves the problem.
Are you using the zone 2 feature during movie playback to send the sound to another room? If so turn that off.
And as said before, check your wiring. Disconnect the back two speakers and play your torture test and see if it shuts down, if not reconnect the back and disconnect the front, play the same scene. Continue this process until you narrowed it down to the one speaker, at this point it is either that speaker or amp channel the way to tell is switch speaker wires and see if the problem stays with the speaker.
post #5 of 8 Old 11-17-2005, 10:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
to answer your other question, Yes Most marantz receivers do have the protect feature and as far as I know their is no way to turn it off.
I have a 8400 and have only had it peak out when my zone 2 speakers where playing during intense movie scenes. This causes feed back as the speakers in my zone two cannot handle the lfe and I am pushing 7 speakers off of my zone 2.
post #6 of 8 Old 11-18-2005, 06:52 AM
Advanced Member

Disconnect all speakers from amp side...

Start something playing in surround mode.
Connect speakers one at a time.
As you connect each speaker wait for the protect light for like 2 mins.
When you have the amp shut down then you find the bad line or speaker.
Next check the connection the speaker side.
If it looks good you have to inspect the whole line from end to end for splices of nicks.

Bad splice or crossed wire at the amp or speaker end is the issue 90% of the time.
post #7 of 8 Old 11-18-2005, 11:38 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for the replys. I certainly know the speakers are fine, as I had another MARANTZ 5500 connected to the entire system just a week ago.

The speakers are all PINNACLE BLACK DIAMONDS. My only guess is its a speaker wire issue, but I find that hard to believe again since its the same wiring I used before. I will try to reconnect everywire tonight, although i'm worried it could be more.

:confused:
post #8 of 8 Old 11-18-2005, 11:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 18
i have the 7500 from a while and its been running fine but i ran into the very same problem with my earlier yamaha 5790, the speakers were all good and the connections seemed to be fine too.. but i disconnected all the cabling from the speakers and the reciver, made sure all the exposed wired had no loose strands and reconnected- the receiver started working fine. So maybe you can just try and reconnect all the wires and see if that helps. Make sure the exposed ends connecting to reciever are not too long at the reciever.

You can also try connecting speakers one by one or removing the speaker wirings one by one from the reciever to see if its a problem with one of the speakers/connection with that speaker.
My 2 cents..

My HT Setup
My Blu-Rays
PSN Id:blitz500

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page