The "Official" Denon AVR-2807 Thread - Page 141 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 21Likes

post #4201 of 4224 Old 01-01-2018, 06:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I was messing with the audio settings, and when I turn to tuner, and into mode, I can hear static through the speakers. I go out of mode, and silence. I have hooked up the the wire antenna and hooked into the back. When I go out of mode, the display shows check antenna. I cant figure out what that issue is. Looks like it must be a particular setting...any one encounter this
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4202 of 4224 Old 01-12-2018, 07:21 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Denon AVR 2807 Buttons not responding

Just bought a new TV, unplugged everything, plugged it back in, and now it's unresponsive. All of the lights come on, however the standby button doesn't work. It just has the green ring around it. I've seen issues online when there is a blinking red light, but haven't seen this issue. I tried factory resetting, and unplugging for a bit. None of the dials seem to do anything either. Was working fine before I had it unplugged for a bit. Is this thing just shot somehow?
post #4203 of 4224 Old 01-13-2018, 06:40 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 757 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22883 Post(s)
Liked: 12508
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyh73 View Post
Just bought a new TV, unplugged everything, plugged it back in, and now it's unresponsive. All of the lights come on, however the standby button doesn't work. It just has the green ring around it. I've seen issues online when there is a blinking red light, but haven't seen this issue. I tried factory resetting, and unplugging for a bit. None of the dials seem to do anything either. Was working fine before I had it unplugged for a bit. Is this thing just shot somehow?
Try connecting it to the old TV to determine if it's shot. Regardless, if you just bought a 4k TV, you'd need to upgrade to a more current model anyway.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4204 of 4224 Old 01-14-2018, 10:13 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
Regardless, if you just bought a 4k TV, you'd need to upgrade to a more current model anyway.
Is the absolutely true for everybody?

I currently use my 2807 as the switcher and use my current DLP TV basically as a simple one-input video monitor. I am looking at upgrading to 4k TV and Ultra BluRay. I believe the 2807 would not handle those, but I was thinking that I would change roles and the new 4KTV would become the switcher of multiple inputs. Then let the TV audio out flow to the 2807. Therefore the 2807 would not do any source switching and it would not handle video anymore. Would this work and let me keep my 2807?
post #4205 of 4224 Old 01-14-2018, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneW View Post
Is the absolutely true for everybody?

I currently use my 2807 as the switcher and use my current DLP TV basically as a simple one-input video monitor. I am looking at upgrading to 4k TV and Ultra BluRay. I believe the 2807 would not handle those, but I was thinking that I would change roles and the new 4KTV would become the switcher of multiple inputs. Then let the TV audio out flow to the 2807. Therefore the 2807 would not do any source switching and it would not handle video anymore. Would this work and let me keep my 2807?
Sure. With a down grade in audio quality as TV's cannot pass HD audio, however, if a Blu Ray player is your only 4k source, then most 4k BDPs feature (2) HDMI outputs so you can pass the 4k video to the TV using one HDMI output and the HD audio to the AVR using another HDMI output. With more than one 4k video source, you'll be better served using the AVR as the switcher.
post #4206 of 4224 Old 01-14-2018, 04:55 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
With a down grade in audio quality as TV's cannot pass HD audio,
Thanks. I knew that some new TVs had constant audio out and I (wrongly) assumed it would be a 5.1 output (or better). My current DLP TV only has active audio output when using the TV's tuner, so I never used it.

Or, when you referred to "HD audio" were you meaning something well beyond 5.1?

The UBDP is my only currently planned 4k source, so you dual HDMI advice may be the best bet.
post #4207 of 4224 Old 01-14-2018, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneW View Post
Thanks. I knew that some new TVs had constant audio out and I (wrongly) assumed it would be a 5.1 output (or better). My current DLP TV only has active audio output when using the TV's tuner, so I never used it.

Or, when you referred to "HD audio" were you meaning something well beyond 5.1?

The UBDP is my only currently planned 4k source, so you dual HDMI advice may be the best bet.
HD Audio = Dolby TrueHD, DTS HD-MA

Although some TVs can pass 5.1 over ARC or optical, that isn't HD audio that is possible when connecting a Blu Ray player to the AVR via HDMI.
post #4208 of 4224 Old 01-14-2018, 07:36 PM

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 2222 Post(s)
Liked: 1465
I have an old 2807 and it can't handle Dolby TrueHD and DTS-MA anyway, it only has HDMI 1.1 and can't decode those lossless formats.

It's sitting in a closet now. Plus the fact it has only 2 HDMI inputs makes it very limited.

Afro GT
post #4209 of 4224 Old 01-28-2018, 06:45 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
hi all, new to all of this so I apologize now... Someone just gave me a denon avr 2807. I only want to use it at work as a stereo with a powered sub woofer hooked up to a pair of Cerwin Vega At-15 speakers that are also a gift. . Instead of getting a degree in audiophile (?) how do I hook this up. I'm a fairly smart guy in other areas of life but not this area. Any help on this? Thank you!!
post #4210 of 4224 Old 01-28-2018, 09:23 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by devildog8541 View Post
hi all, new to all of this so I apologize now... Someone just gave me a denon avr 2807. I only want to use it at work as a stereo with a powered sub woofer hooked up to a pair of Cerwin Vega At-15 speakers that are also a gift. . Instead of getting a degree in audiophile (?) how do I hook this up. I'm a fairly smart guy in other areas of life but not this area. Any help on this? Thank you!!
First of all congrats Here is the manual:

http://pdfstream.manualsonline.com/3...e968a2a2b1.pdf

And here is a showcase of my awesome art skills. The circled areas are where speakers are connected (F for front - your Cerwin Vegas and S for your subwoofer)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Speaker Connections.JPG
Views:	59
Size:	154.6 KB
ID:	2353062  
post #4211 of 4224 Old 02-05-2018, 12:58 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Old Receiver not playing nice with new TV

Hi everyone,

For the past seven years (give or take), I've been running this setup on the video side:
- Sharp 60" LC60E78UN
- Denon AVR-987 (retail big box version of AVR-2807)
- HDMI connection to TV for video only, switching between Mac Pro and a PS2
- Oppo BD-83
- HDMI connection to TV for video only. Audio decoding handled by player, 5.1 analog out to Denon
- Mac Pro
- DVI to HDMI cable for video to Denon

All of this worked fine for me up until I got a deal on a new LG 65" B7A I couldn't pass up, so in came the new TV. However, upon plugging all of the devices into the TV, the receiver would lock up. It would still pass video from the Mac to the TV, and audio would still play, but the front panel screen wouldn't change, and the front panel controls wouldn't change inputs or volume. Considering this had worked fine two hours before when the old TV was still plugged in, the incompatibility had to stem from the new TV. As an aside, the Oppo worked perfectly, and we could watch a movie once the AVR to TV HDMI cable was unplugged.

Was wondering if there was a way to make my new TV play nice with my old receiver? Maybe there's some setting that I'm overlooking.

Alternatively, what's a good replacement? I'd like full surround analog inputs (5.1 is fine, though 7.1 is better if I ever get more speakers), full surround preouts (fronts go to a McIntosh MC300 right now), and a smattering of legacy analog video inputs - I'd still like to be able to play my N64 and PS2. It's slightly comical how Goldeneye looks on a 60" TV, but that doesn't mean it's not still a fun game.

As I have other devices doing decoding and most of the amplification duties, the receiver itself doesn't have to be especially nice, just able to connect all of my gear together... any help on fixing the old one or recommending a new one would be great!
post #4212 of 4224 Old 02-05-2018, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliasfox View Post
Hi everyone,

For the past seven years (give or take), I've been running this setup on the video side:
- Sharp 60" LC60E78UN
- Denon AVR-987 (retail big box version of AVR-2807)
- HDMI connection to TV for video only, switching between Mac Pro and a PS2
- Oppo BD-83
- HDMI connection to TV for video only. Audio decoding handled by player, 5.1 analog out to Denon
- Mac Pro
- DVI to HDMI cable for video to Denon

All of this worked fine for me up until I got a deal on a new LG 65" B7A I couldn't pass up, so in came the new TV. However, upon plugging all of the devices into the TV, the receiver would lock up. It would still pass video from the Mac to the TV, and audio would still play, but the front panel screen wouldn't change, and the front panel controls wouldn't change inputs or volume. Considering this had worked fine two hours before when the old TV was still plugged in, the incompatibility had to stem from the new TV. As an aside, the Oppo worked perfectly, and we could watch a movie once the AVR to TV HDMI cable was unplugged.

Was wondering if there was a way to make my new TV play nice with my old receiver? Maybe there's some setting that I'm overlooking.

Alternatively, what's a good replacement? I'd like full surround analog inputs (5.1 is fine, though 7.1 is better if I ever get more speakers), full surround preouts (fronts go to a McIntosh MC300 right now), and a smattering of legacy analog video inputs - I'd still like to be able to play my N64 and PS2. It's slightly comical how Goldeneye looks on a 60" TV, but that doesn't mean it's not still a fun game.

As I have other devices doing decoding and most of the amplification duties, the receiver itself doesn't have to be especially nice, just able to connect all of my gear together... any help on fixing the old one or recommending a new one would be great!
As of 2015, all AVRs generally must be HDCP 2.2 to connect to a 4k TV, otherwise consider purchasing a 3rd party device (eg. HD Fury Key).
post #4213 of 4224 Old 02-05-2018, 03:12 PM

Quote:
As of 2015, all AVRs generally must be HDCP 2.2 to connect to a 4k TV, otherwise consider purchasing a 3rd party device (eg. HD Fury Key).
Thanks for that. Is the requirement not enforced for BluRay players? I can’t imagine my 2008 era Oppo has HDCP 2.2 compliance. Does this HDCP compliance extend to computers, too – ie, if I connected my Mac Pro directly to the TV, would it end up messing up my computer, as well?

Alternatively, would I have any issues connecting my non HDCP compliant devices to an HDCP 2.2 compliant receiver?

Lastly, what do I do with my trusty old AVR-987?
post #4214 of 4224 Old 02-05-2018, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliasfox View Post
Thanks for that. Is the requirement not enforced for BluRay players? I can’t imagine my 2008 era Oppo has HDCP 2.2 compliance. Does this HDCP compliance extend to computers, too – ie, if I connected my Mac Pro directly to the TV, would it end up messing up my computer, as well?

Alternatively, would I have any issues connecting my non HDCP compliant devices to an HDCP 2.2 compliant receiver?

Lastly, what do I do with my trusty old AVR-987?
Yes, all components in the chain passing 4k video must be HDCP 2.2 compliant. You can purchase dual HDMI 4k/HDCP 2.2 BluRay players passing the video to the TV directly and the HD audio to the non-4k AVR. If you want to get into Atmos/DTS:X, you can use the 987 to expand a 9CH model to 11CH if you want to go to a 7.1.4 setup, otherwise, the 987 can also be used in another room with a non-4k display connecting the Zone 2 HDMI monitor output of the new 4k AVR to the 987.
post #4215 of 4224 Old 02-05-2018, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Yes, all components in the chain passing 4k video must be HDCP 2.2 compliant. You can purchase dual HDMI 4k/HDCP 2.2 BluRay players passing the video to the TV directly and the HD audio to the non-4k AVR. If you want to get into Atmos/DTS:X, you can use the 987 to expand a 9CH model to 11CH if you want to go to a 7.1.4 setup, otherwise, the 987 can also be used in another room with a non-4k display connecting the Zone 2 HDMI monitor output of the new 4k AVR to the 987.
Thing is, none of my gear is 4k, and none of my content is 4k, so getting into 4k isn’t actually that important to me yet – I just got the OLED for the colors - yes, I know 4k has wider gamut specifications, but I’d rather just get the most out of my blurays for now. My BD-83 works on HDMI, is it because it’s called itself out as a 1080p only device?

Also, it sounds like there’s a lot of effort to try to keep the 987 in the loop – and maybe it makes more sense to grab something like a Denon 3300 or Marantz 5011, provided I could plug my computer into that newer AVR and have it work.

This content protection thing really is a bit annoying.
post #4216 of 4224 Old 05-09-2018, 08:25 AM

hello all!

SUMMARY (a bit of a strange question): a Denon AVR-2807 that i've recently bought works fine when fed with any digital input (via HDMI or with an optical or co-ax audio signal) but i can't get any sound out of it when i try to feed it anything analogue! i've download the manual and i think everything is setup correctly - is there some trick that i may be missing e.g on the setup menu or the control panel/remote?

BACKGROUND DETAIL:
i have a Cambridge Audio CXU Bluray player (awesome!) connected to a pair of KRK Rokit 10-3 G3's (awesome x2!) and a REL Storm 5 (set at a low-level as it's already overkill!), using the variable phono pre-outs on the back of the CXU to control the volume. it's a whole hi-end system in just a few small boxes (apart from the massive active speakers...) and blissfully simple for CDs/SACDs/DVD-As/mp3s (my desktop soundcard is connected to the optical input on the CXU), as well as movies (blurays obviously but the CXU also has an HDMI-input for my FreeviewHD PVR, where it all benefits from the Darbee processing, before heading to my projector). however, this is only a 2.1-setup and so i figured it was about time to add some surround-action. i can't afford 4 small KRK Rokits for the surround channels (and didn't fancy running mains cable all over my room to power them, anyway), so i decide to use some Elac passive satellite speakers i had in storage. this means i need some means of powering the Elacs. given the horrific price of multi-channel power amps (for my budget, at least!) and my lower focus on AV vs stereo, i decided to look for an older but decent AV amp with a 7.1-analogue input, so that i could send the remainder of the 7.1-preouts (centre, sub, surround L/R and side-rear surround L/R, while noting that i don't have a centre speaker as KRK don't make a centre to match the 10-3's yet) i.e use the integrated AV amp as a dumb power amp. i'm aware that i'd need to match the volume of the AV amp to my KRKs but, borrowing a friend's SPL meter, i thought it wouldn't be too hard to achieve a reasonably even soundfield (not perfect, but certainly good enough). it also has the power-saving advantage that i can just switch-off the AV amp when listening in stereo, which is most of the time, for me. and it doesn't interfere at all in the purity of my existing stereo signal path.

so, i buy myself a Denon AVR-2807 and connect up all the preouts on my CXU to the EXT-IN 7.1 input on the Denon (apart from front L/R, which continue to go straight to the KRKs), switch the input selector to EXT-IN and... - nothing. there is definitely sound coming from the CXU surround preouts, as plugging the KRKs in to any of the surround preouts produces sound from the KRKs. so it's not the CXU. i connect my CXU to the Denon via HDMI (plus add a pair of front L/R speakers to the Denon for testing purposes and ensure output is set to A+B) and there's sound coming from everywhere (i.e carrying out a speaker config for each individual speaker using test tones works as expected). so the power amp stage for each channel on the Denon is ok. i start scratching my head... as a test, i then connect the front L/R CXU preouts to various standard phono inputs on the Denon (marked DVD, TV, VCR etc on the 'in' side, not on the 'loop/out'-side, of course,) check in the on-screen menu that all these inputs are not set to expect a digital input, then scroll through each in turn via the input selector, where each input shows 'analogue' on the display - no output from the speakers connected to the Denon from any of the inputs. so the Denon appears to work fine for digital inputs but not at all for any analogue inputs. is this a weird fault? or am i missing something?

the guy i bought it from has been very helpful and friendly but cannot recall if he ever had anything analogue connected up to it (after he had it, it had been used in an in-ceiling install then sat unused for a while, before he got round to selling it to me), so there's a possibility that perhaps there's something wrong with the analogue input stage/ADC (i presume all analogue signals get converted to the digital domain?)? or perhaps with the way the control circuitry is handling analogue inputs? i've successfully factory reset the unit ('small power+night+pure direct' buttons, display flashed, kicked in to 'tuner 87.50' etc) but this made no difference. i could just send everything via HDMI from my CXU to the Denon and use the preouts on the Denon to drive the KRKs but i really don't want to do this - as good as the Denon is, this adds another element to the signal path and i've found that the Denon's signal-handling and DAC/preout-stage is just not as good as the CXU's (and it'd mean having to keep the Denon switched-on all the time, while i'm just listening to music).

apologies for the lengthy message and look forward to hearing if anyone can shed some light on things
post #4217 of 4224 Old 10-02-2018, 04:19 PM

Bose 901 Equalizer Connection to AVR-2807

I recently purchased a DENON AVR-2807 and thought I could connect my Bose 901 Series IV Speakers to it. I have connected the Bose 901 Equalizer to the PRE OUT and EXT IN (L and R) connections and can't seem to get the audio to flow through the equalizer by selecting EXT IN during setup.

Can someone walk me through the proper connection and receiver set up or let me know that the receiver is not compatible with the Bose 901s?

Many thanks.
post #4218 of 4224 Old 11-10-2018, 02:16 AM

Liked: 10
Hello All can anyone guide me how do the sound from my TV to the amp when watching shows through a fire stick connected directly to my TV? Thx’s
post #4219 of 4224 Old 11-10-2018, 02:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hubert Francis View Post
Hello All can anyone guide me how do the sound from my TV to the amp when watching shows through a fire stick connected directly to my TV? Thx’s
Connect an optical cable from the TV's optical audio output to one of the AVR's optical audio input (eg. OPT1) and use the AUDIO INPUT SETUP (p. 47 Owner's manual) to assign a source name (eg. "TV") to that input. Then select "TV" on the remote when you want to listen to the Fire Stick audio. On the TV, you may also have to set audio to "external speaker/home theater".
post #4220 of 4224 Old 12-29-2018, 02:15 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Denon Receiver not working with new TV

I have a Denon avr 2807 receiver, and just purchased a new Vizio M65 Smart tv.

I have narrowed the issue down to the HDMI connection from the Receiever to the TV. When I make this connection it freezes up the Denon completely. I then have to reboot it with the On/Off. Even standby button won't work. However, when j unplug the HDMI cable, the Receiever lets me into the System Setup and does not freeze. I have tried multiple HDMI cables, and I have also tried every HDMI input on the TV. Is it possible some newer TV's just aren't compatible with this Receiever? How is that possible??
post #4221 of 4224 Old 12-31-2018, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyh73 View Post
I have a Denon avr 2807 receiver, and just purchased a new Vizio M65 Smart tv.

I have narrowed the issue down to the HDMI connection from the Receiever to the TV. When I make this connection it freezes up the Denon completely. I then have to reboot it with the On/Off. Even standby button won't work. However, when j unplug the HDMI cable, the Receiever lets me into the System Setup and does not freeze. I have tried multiple HDMI cables, and I have also tried every HDMI input on the TV. Is it possible some newer TV's just aren't compatible with this Receiever? How is that possible??
Yes, it possible especially with a 12 year old AVR using a much older version of HDCP which was upgraded in both 2010 and again in 2015.

Connect your sources to the TV and use optical from the TV back to the AVR.
post #4222 of 4224 Old 05-20-2019, 12:38 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkiejack View Post
Any of you guys using this receiver connect a Chromecast to it directly? I have one plugged into HDMI2 and powered by AC and everytime I power it up I need to unplug and restart the chromecast so the AVR can see it. Otherwise, the receiver just sits there waiting for input. Have xbox 360 plugged into HDMI1 which works fine but of course I always turn that off and on with the receiver.

EDT: the chromecast does seem to stay connected if the receiver is only off for a short period of time (a few hours). But if I leave the AVR/projector off overnight, 99% chance it won't find it in the morning.
Works ok for me....I have a chromecast on HDMI input #2 of a newly acquired 2807...is the chromecast possibly powering off too when you turn off power to the receiver? My chromecast stays powered on 24/7... It defaults to the ever changing photo that the Chromecast first displays when you switch to it and then I use an older smart phone with no call capability strictly using wifi as a remote to go to whatever youtube,etc channel.
post #4223 of 4224 Old 06-25-2019, 07:57 PM

I just got this receiver as a hand me down, but I can only get my HDMI outs to play in stereo mode. Is there a way to get it through the back surround sound speakers? Using the other inputs like Tape/CD it can play over all four speakers.

Thanks!
post #4224 of 4224 Old 06-26-2019, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noel Basta View Post
I just got this receiver as a hand me down, but I can only get my HDMI outs to play in stereo mode. Is there a way to get it through the back surround sound speakers? Using the other inputs like Tape/CD it can play over all four speakers.

Thanks!
The 2807CI is a 7.1/5.1 + Zone 2 model. If you only have 4 speakers, the two surround speakers should be connected to the "SURROUND" speaker posts rather than the "SURROUND BACK" speaker posts. These speakers are ideally placed to your sides (from 90-110 degrees); however, should you decide to place them behind you, they must still be connected to the "SURROUND" speaker posts. If you had 1 or 2 additional surround speakers, only then would it/they be connected to the SURROUND BACK speaker posts. The original factory settings will not pass audio through these SURROUND BACK speaker posts unless the SB CH OUT setting (p. 26 Owner's manual) is changed to other than OFF; however, as you don't have SURROUND BACK speakers, this setting does not apply to your current configuration. If however, by "four speakers", you mean the four surround speakers (ie. 7.1 setup), then the setting would have to be changed for the HDMI source input being used.

Whenever you first obtain a "used" AVR, the first thing to do is to reset the microprocessor (p. 42 Owner's manual) to ensure the settings are returned to their original factory settings. Once completed, in order to play a stereo 2.0 source to all speakers, you would want to change the SURROUND PARAMETER to Dolby PLII.

If you don't have the Owner's manual, it can be downloaded from Denon's website here ---> https://usa.denon.com/us/downloads/m...-and-downloads

Last edited by jdsmoothie; 06-26-2019 at 12:12 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page