Rotel Owner's Thread - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 316Likes

post #61 of 2014 Old 02-08-2007, 09:27 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I currently have an hk avr 325. I was going to slowly upgrade to seperates. First the 1075 amp and use my hk as pre until i coud afford the rotel pre. The salesman at my local store recommended getting the rotel 1057 reciever and the using that as a pre later. Will I notice much difference initially between the hk and rotel reciever? Also is the salesman's suggestion a good one or would I be sacrificing sound quality. Thanks for any suggestions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 2014 Old 02-08-2007, 10:06 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 15
What speakers are you using?

My HK 645 is fine for now but I'm considering upgrading to Wharfedale Opus 2 or 3, and add the Rotel RB-1080.

B&W seems to be the popular favorite for Rotel users. I noticed that Rotel ads also show B&W, suggesting a partnership. Any Wharfedale owners here?

Comparing amps is even more overwhelming than speakers. In browsing forums, it seems that some people don't even consider the likes of Rotel, NAD and Rega "hi fi." But I'm skeptical that improvements beyond $1k amps are worth the extra grand or two.
post #63 of 2014 Old 02-08-2007, 04:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Since they are in the same "family" (B&W Group), I thought I'd mention that the new CM 7's mate very well with the Rotel gear I have. It is shown here standing next to a Klipsch RF5.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 2014 Old 02-09-2007, 03:02 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Peter,

What ARE you doing with "nick-nacks" on your speakers? It takes a brave man to post these pictures. (Just joking, of course.)

The things we do so we can still all live together, I assume those items on your speakers are your wife's.
post #65 of 2014 Old 02-10-2007, 01:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by donjulio View Post

Peter,

What ARE you doing with "nick-nacks" on your speakers? It takes a brave man to post these pictures. (Just joking, of course.)

The things we do so we can still all live together, I assume those items on your speakers are your wife's.

Well, you know how it goes. The living room doubles as our home theater. It is MY listening room, but OUR room where we entertain guests. Speakers look like plant and nick-nack stands to some people.

After almost 33 years of marriage, one learns to compromise on some things for the sake of harmony.
post #66 of 2014 Old 02-10-2007, 07:53 AM

Amen to that. We have been at it for just 5 years, so I have more compromise to look forward to it would appear. My equipment must be kept out of sight, so I ended up moving My theater to the basement, of course as soon as my better half comes to the basment, the room becomes her's, and we discuss what I have been up to. There is some comfort in knowing that this happens to most everyone.

On another note, and back to the thread, does anyone know what DAC's Rotel uses in their equipment? Looking at the RSX-1057 or perhaps the new RSX-1058.
post #67 of 2014 Old 02-10-2007, 04:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by donjulio View Post

Amen to that. We have been at it for just 5 years, so I have more compromise to look forward to it would appear. My equipment must be kept out of sight, so I ended up moving My theater to the basement, of course as soon as my better half comes to the basment, the room becomes her's, and we discuss what I have been up to. There is some comfort in knowing that this happens to most everyone.

On another note, and back to the thread, does anyone know what DAC's Rotel uses in their equipment? Looking at the RSX-1057 or perhaps the new RSX-1058.

Oh, it gets worse than that in the bedroom:

We have her stuffed animal collection on the speakers there. However, I do get to have a 5.1 system plus a Sony KDF-50E2000 there. The compromise is worth it!
post #68 of 2014 Old 02-10-2007, 06:26 PM

Now that is funny; gave me a chuckle.
post #69 of 2014 Old 02-10-2007, 07:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 16
Im sure the stuffed animals were carefully placed to mitigate high-frequncy reflections.

Also, the Kermit and Ms. Piggy improve the imaging.
post #70 of 2014 Old 02-10-2007, 08:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonomega View Post

Im sure the stuffed animals were carefully placed to mitigate high-frequncy reflections.

Also, the Kermit and Ms. Piggy improve the imaging.

Why yes, absolutely. Those are Klipsch RF 81s, so the precise number of stuffed animals are needed to tame the upper range. Apparently 4 monkeys and 4 bears are the right combination to make them blend in seamlessly with the Velodyne CHT 12.
post #71 of 2014 Old 02-10-2007, 08:44 PM

Liked: 10
Peter I see you have a set of the CM-7s. I listened to a set today and I was very impressed.
I would like to hear/read your opinon on them if you have time.
post #72 of 2014 Old 02-11-2007, 02:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv the tunes View Post

Peter I see you have a set of the CM-7s. I listened to a set today and I was very impressed.
I would like to hear/read your opinon on them if you have time.

Sure. I've only had them for less than a week so consider these initial impressions.

As you probably know, they have both a Nautilus tweeter and an FST midrange which typically are found in their "big brothers". Because of that, I find that the midrange and high end are exceptionally clear. Also, for a three way system that sports "only" a 7 1/2 woofer, it produces a surprizingly solid low end.

However, I tend to like to hear very deep bass when it is in certain recordings (such as an organ pedal), so I am using the second set of output jacks on the Rotel RC-1070 preamp to feed an SVS 20-39 PC+ sub. I have the crossover on the sub set for 60 hz and it blends in very well with the output from the CM 7.

Sizewise, they are very compact compared, for instance to my Klipsch RF 5s which I use for HT. The CM 7s are for music listening only.

So far I have tested them with a fairly wide variety of music from Alison Krauss to classical. Vocals are extremely clear with a sense of "space" around them.

Massed orchestral music has good placement of instruments across the soundstage and a nice sense of depth.

Although I have them 2 feet from the back wall, I found that in my situation, I need to use the included port plug.

Not that you can tell too well from the photo, but the finish I picked is maple. It is a very light one. The cabinet is very well braced. I have them on the included spikes for stability and to ensure there are no microvibrations to distort the sound.

The combination of the CM 7s with the SVS sub produces a very "big" sound. I would say they are a serious contender.

Just as an aside, I read in another forum a posting suggesting that B&W speakers are somewhat mellow in sound. I'm not sure which models to which that may refer, but the CM 7s are far from mellow. In fact, they are closer to the sound of my Klipsch RF 5s in terms of high end detail.

I have these sitting in a room with wall-to-wall carpeting, drapes, bookcases and lots of furniture, so the high end is never out of control, or harsh. I could see, however, that in a room with bare floors, reflective surfaces and minimal furniture that they might tend to sound a bit on the "bright" side. I don't see that as a flaw in the speaker. I recommend room sound treatment for any system.
post #73 of 2014 Old 02-11-2007, 06:49 AM

Thank you Peter. Did you listen to the CM-7s on any other gear, before the Rotel gear?
I heard them on MF I think it was a 3.5 and matching CD player and then switched them over to the Rotel RC1070 with a RB-1070.
Anyway I was really enjoying the sound of the CM-7s on the MF gear. I had the saleman switch it over to what was closer to the gear I own. (Rotel RB-1070, RCD-1072, RSP-1068, RMB-1075) Well I hope it was just a fluke but the sound stage just collapsed, the center image was gone. The overall sound was just a disapointment. I was not at my local Rotel dealer but as soon as my local dealer gets his CM-7s I will will be trying that again or even demoing a pair of the CM-7s at home.
post #74 of 2014 Old 02-11-2007, 06:59 AM

I have to take my prized RB980BX in for repairs. My 16 month old boy decided to mimic what he had seen me do recently, unplug the bananas from my speakers. Problem was I was listening to music at the time and he must have shorted them. No sound from the right channel. Hope it doesn't cost too much

I have a question though, should I take it in to the dealer and have him send it in or should I have a local electronics repair shop work on it. The local shop buys and refurbs older high end gear, and they have a good reputation. I had them repair my M&K sub a few years ago, and it works great.
post #75 of 2014 Old 02-11-2007, 07:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv the tunes View Post

Thank you Peter. Did you listen to the CM-7s on any other gear, before the Rotel gear?
I heard them on MF I think it was a 3.5 and matching CD player and then switched them over to the Rotel RC1070 with a RB-1070.
Anyway I was really enjoying the sound of the CM-7s on the MF gear. I had the saleman switch it over to what was closer to the gear I own. (Rotel RB-1070, RCD-1072, RSP-1068, RMB-1075) Well I hope it was just a fluke but the sound stage just collapsed, the center image was gone. The overall sound was just a disapointment. I was not at my local Rotel dealer but as soon as my local dealer gets his CM-7s I will will be trying that again or even demoing a pair of the CM-7s at home.

Well, I'm not sure what happened there. I have a similar setup as yours: the RCD 1072 CD player, RC 1070 preamp and RB 1070 amp and I am not experiencing any issues. Then again, I bought the CM 7s after I had acquired all of the electronics. Up to that point I had been using the Klipsch RF5s for both music and HT.

The Klipsch produce a very wide, detailed and deep soundstage with those electronics. The CM 7s enhance it in a subtle, though positive way. It is always best to audition new speakers in your own listening room with the associated equipment you will be using, whenever possible.
post #76 of 2014 Old 02-11-2007, 07:53 AM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ndgame View Post

Hello everyone,

I am shopping for my HT system. I am working with my local deal "Audio Encounters" in Dublin OH.

I need to find an AVR that will pass a 1080P to my JVC 1080P tv. I was looking at the Marantz 7001 but have read on the forums that there are problems with the PS3 and passing 1080p. So I started looking at the new Rotel RSX-1058 that will be out in the next few weeks.

My problem is when I went to Audio Encounters to ask about the product I was informed that they are dropping Rotel because of all the problems they have had out of Rotel and their customer support.

So I was hoping that someone could help me here on that subject. I honestly feel like he is pushing Marantz down my throat. Honestly all I want is great hardware that won't have a problem with my PS3 and 1080P.

Thanks for you help.

NDGAME

I've been to that place a few times. The last time to audition some Paradigm Sig's, with the Mac equipment. Not too bad. I ended up going to Canton to get my Rotel stuff.
post #77 of 2014 Old 02-11-2007, 01:22 PM

Do any of you use 4 Ohm speakers with your Rotel equipment? Looking at either RSX1057 or 1058 when it comes out, however, the 1058 literature indicates 8 Ohm minimum for speaker impediance. I am running 5 Totem Acoustic, 4 - Arro's and Mite-T Center, which are 4 Ohms. What are your thoughts?
post #78 of 2014 Old 02-11-2007, 04:07 PM

Hey, I've got an RMB1075 and used to have a RCD971. I wished I kept the CD player as it was fantastic. Right now I'm using the amp connected directly to my X-Meridian in my computer and the sound is very good. However I have an A2 and would like to take advantage of TrueHD and maybe get a PS3 so I need a processor that does audio over HDMI. Has anyone heard anything about a replacement for the 1098 with HDMI and is Rotel going to do a receiver with that feature soon?
post #79 of 2014 Old 02-11-2007, 06:13 PM

donjulio,
I am using 4ohm speakers on both my RB-1070 and on my RMB-1075 and I have not had any issues with either. If you must know the truth the RSP-1068 runs hotter than either of the amps.
post #80 of 2014 Old 02-11-2007, 07:04 PM

Hi Everyone,

Has anyone heard news that the Rotel 1095 amp will be discontinued? If so, what is the reasoning? Also, can anyone touch on 1095 hum issues and are they adequately resolved? Are there any new five channel amps ready for release?

I have been considering Rotel and would like to understand product availability and what's around the corner.

Thanks,

Mike
post #81 of 2014 Old 02-11-2007, 07:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I read the new Rotel RC-1082 preamplifier has been shown at CES.

It seems to me the RC-1082 is not replacing the RC-1070, but the RC-1090. Is this correct?

I'd like to know if this new preamp includes a HT bypass connection as well
post #82 of 2014 Old 02-12-2007, 07:19 AM

Hey Peter thanks for setting up this thread. A good opportunity for me to ask the many Rotel and B&W owners.

My current set up:
Yamaha RX-V2700
B&W 603 S3 Fronts, LCR 60 Centre and 601 S3 surrounds
Marantz 63 SE Diva Mod
Oppo 981

Iam currently thinking of adding a Rotel 1080 to match with my 603 S3 for music listening. Is there other Rotel models i should also consider? Anyone here with similiar set up?

Darthfunk Mini Review

OPPO DV-983H
post #83 of 2014 Old 02-12-2007, 09:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 624 Post(s)
Liked: 207
i have somewhat similar setup:

Rotel rsx1056
B&W 603s3
B&w LCR600
DEf.tech. Pro100's (surrounds)
I would recomend the lcr600 over the LCR60 as it's better matching to the 603's.

Sony XBR65A1E,(Pioneer 500m relocated), AppleTv 4K,Marantz sr7012, System Audio Loudspeakers( sa1750 mains), ML Grotto.
Eastern Electric Minimax cd, Oppo UDP-203, Toshiba HD, Pro Ject 1expression Carbon TT.
post #84 of 2014 Old 02-12-2007, 12:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunkisagoonie View Post

The RSX-1057 doesn't support audio over HDMI - the HDMI on this model only functions as a video switch with no analog video transcoding. It's essentially an RSX-1056 with an HDMI switch board slapped into it.

Now technically you CAN enjoy TrueHD and dts-HD over the 7.1-ch. analog inputs on the '1057, but the HD/BD player itself will need to do the decoding. Right now, the current HD/BD players that "support" TrueHD/dts-HD will only decode the core streams (DD Plus and dts Encore, respectively; in other words, enhanced versions of legacy codecs). Players with full decoders should start appearing later this year and we'll probably find out a lot more tomorrow at CES.

I own this reciever and I love it. I was a little disappointed when I found out after the fact that the HDMI inputs do not recieve audio. I have contacted rotel customer service about the possibility of an upgrade that would enable it recieve audio over the HDMI but did not get a reponse that was very promising. Would this be possible and how hard would it be to pull off?

On a side note I have an Toshiba HD XA1 HD DVD player hooked via the analog inputs and the sound is amazing! It blows regular DVD away and I am very happy. BTW it does decode Dolby TrueHD 5.1 with the firmware version 2.0
post #85 of 2014 Old 02-13-2007, 01:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by petergaryr View Post

Oh, it gets worse than that in the bedroom:

We have her stuffed animal collection on the speakers there. However, I do get to have a 5.1 system plus a Sony KDF-50E2000 there. The compromise is worth it!

Is that Kermit and Miss Piggy THX certified?
post #86 of 2014 Old 02-13-2007, 02:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Of course. I used an SPL meter to properly place Kermit and Miss Piggy to control the specific defraction patterns resulting in an improvement in high frequency dispersion and lower intermodulation distortion. Transient response has also dramaticallly improved (see, and you thought just exotic cables and power cords could do all that).
post #87 of 2014 Old 02-16-2007, 12:11 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Tbrunet,
Thanks for the sound calibration advice. I found this piece of info in another post/article somewhere and this is the way I calibrated. I've tried various tones, meter settings, etc. in the past but I'm very pleased with the overall sound of my setup after using this method. I'd give credit to the author it I knew who it was!

"First of all, turn off your subwoofer for calibration of the other speakers. This is because the bass management in your receiver or pre/pro re-directs the bass from "small" speakers to the sub, and makes measurements on the other speakers difficult. Full bandwidth pink noise contains bass frequencies, and the bass coming from the sub will skew your measurements and cause the meter to jump around needlessly.

As a compromise between absolute full range accuracy and practical ability to follow the needle on your SPL meter, set the "weighting" to "A", rather than the more common "C", and the meter response to "slow". "A" weighting makes the meter more sensitive to the mid range frequencies and less so to the bass and treble, but nowhere near as extreme as the bandwidth limited test tone built into receivers, pre/pros, and on most test DVDs.

Switch the pink noise to each main speaker, and set the output of each speaker to the same level with the trim controls of your preamp or receiver, using the procedure you would use with conventional test tones, i.e. with the SPL meter's microphone pointing upwards toward the ceiling at the main listening position.

After you get all the main and surround speakers to the same level, switch to "C" weighting and note any differences: this will be mainly due to the greater sensitivity in the bass region of the meter. If the needle is still relatively easy to read, you might want to do any final touch-ups in the level of any speakers that give largely different readings from the "A" weighting reading.

Finally, switch on your subwoofer and calibrate it with your SPL meter in the "C" weighting position, using the dedicated subwoofer test tones from the Avia test DVD or your receiver. You can use band limited test tones here since the signal the subwoofer is reproducing is limited in bandwidth anyway.

The Avia home theater DVD test disc is unique in that it has 5.0 full range pink noise test signals, and this is all you need to do the above calibrations. Note however that the pink noise on the Avia disc is recorded at -20db below digital full scale verses -30db on other consumer discs (and from receivers and pre/pros). You have two choices if you are calibrating to a "reference" level on your receiver or pre/pro. You can either calibrate to 85db SPL verses 75db with the volume control at "reference" level, or if the pink noise's volume is too bothersome, reduce the volume control on your receiver or pre/pro to -10db and calibrate your system for 75db SPL."

Rick

post #88 of 2014 Old 02-22-2007, 05:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Hey fellow Rotelers. How's it going?

I currently have an RTC-965 pre-pro. I fell in love with Rotel stuff back in 2000 when I auditioned many pieces. I recently acquired new speakers which I think are capable of higher resolution than the 965 delivers. My options as I see them are,
1) Do nothing - I already spent a lot on speakers.
2) Upgrade to the 1068. How much better is it?
3) Upgrade to NAD T163. A dealer locally is selling them new for $750. How much better is this piece than the 965? How do the 1068 and T163 compare sonically?
4) Use a sound card as pre-pro in my HTPC. Last time I tried there were integration issues as far as using a remote control and boot/shutdown loud popping noises.
5) Hold off a bit because better stuff is around the corner. Pre-pros are like computers these days. Obsolescence is right around the corner.

Due to my love of Rotel, I'm currently favoring the 1068, although a good tax return would help. These must be pretty good because I never see them on ebay.
post #89 of 2014 Old 02-22-2007, 05:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by petergaryr View Post

the new CM 7's mate very well with the Rotel gear I have.

Hey Peter, which Rotel model pre-amp/amp combination are you using with your B&W's?
post #90 of 2014 Old 02-25-2007, 04:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
OK. I guess I threw out too much stuff at once. I was tired that night and was trying to get you guys to decide this for me. So let's stick with Rotel....

Can someone attempt to describe the sonic improvements between the RTC-965 and the RSP-1068?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Rotel , Rotel Rsp 976 Surround Sound Preamplifier Processor , Rotel Rsx 1550 Home Theater Receiver , Rotel Rsx 1562

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page