Simaudio Owners Thread - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 20Likes

post #31 of 607 Old 06-10-2007, 01:02 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
How much 2-channel bliss would I be missing with a Titan instead of a W? Hard to describe?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 607 Old 06-11-2007, 10:08 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Sorry to hijack this thread a little but I have a question for you Sim Audio guys. I've thought about pairing Sim Audio with my Kef's. I once heard a JmLab setup with Simaudio though and thought it was sounding a little bright. Kef's aren't the most forgiving either. Is this a good move or no? I'm trying to add a little more musicality. (For comparison, I've heard Arcam w/ Kef and thought that sounded neutral.)

Thanks, Mark
post #33 of 607 Old 06-19-2007, 09:47 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark LP View Post

Sorry to hijack this thread a little but I have a question for you Sim Audio guys. I've thought about pairing Sim Audio with my Kef's. I once heard a JmLab setup with Simaudio though and thought it was sounding a little bright. Kef's aren't the most forgiving either. Is this a good move or no? I'm trying to add a little more musicality. (For comparison, I've heard Arcam w/ Kef and thought that sounded neutral.)
Thanks, Mark

Your not HiJacking it at all i am a KEF dealer as well as a Sim dealer... i have had my 207's on my W-7m's and mmmmmm mmmmm good You'll love it, remember the Simaudio components are about as neutral as they come. With the KEF's you'll expect a brilliant mid-range and some incredibles highs and very detailed lows, my thoughts are... GO FOR IT!

Middle Tennessee & S.W. Florida
www.premieracousticlifestyles.com
see it. hear it. feel it.
Brad Bossman
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 607 Old 06-21-2007, 09:14 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Due to the increase of steel and custom labor prices in Canada, was well as the American Dollar loosing its value vs. the Canadian dollar Simaudio is doing a price increase July 1st. This is one of the largest they have done in quite a while, as a Sim dealer we are trying to close deals so as to save our customers some money, if your thinking about a Simaudio package, do it before July 1st to avoid an up to 15% price increase in some cases! You have been warned... Example I-7 old price $6000 new, $6,900. W-7m old price $7,200, new price $8,800. Just FYI the evolution line was worst hit. Others examples are the Titan-5 now 7,500 new price $8,300.

Brad Bossman
post #35 of 607 Old 06-22-2007, 11:39 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I am pleased to announce that our Tennessee location is approaching completion all that we need to add is some painting and some flooring... I think something that will really stand out is the almost 30 ft. long 18 ft. wide listening room for all you audio fanatics! The listening room will be filled with KEF. Dynaudio, Thiel, Simaudio, Parasound Halo, and Arcam and only the best cabling from StraightWire and MIT! I would like to invite everyone to take a stop in and listen before they make their final decision on speakers and audio components! Just 25 mins out of Nashville, TN.
1696 Fairview Blvd.
Suite 100
Fairview, TN. 37062

Brad Bossman
post #36 of 607 Old 06-29-2007, 09:28 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Hey all you guys wanted to let you know, if your thinking of doing any Simaudio purchases, do it today! The price increase goes into effect Monday, and it's a big one, some are up to 15%... So contact your local Sim dealer and get those things you've been wanting today!

Brad Bossman
post #37 of 607 Old 07-03-2007, 04:39 AM

Hey folks, looking for your opinion;currently running Bryston 6B-SST for front three (Dynaudio 3.4S and SCX center) with plans to upgrade to C4's with the SCX eventually. Along with the speaker upgrade, I was tinking about putting some simaudio amps into the chain to squeeze even more performance out of my dyns, based on others opinions about the synergy of the two companys.

Well the reality is, there is only so much money to do this, so my question to you is in you honest opinion could a titan series simaudio five or seven channel amp handle the load of a pair of dynaudio C4's, a SCX center, and lets say for arguments sake a pair of dynaudio SR surrounds as well or better than a Bryston 6BSSt combined with a Bryston 4BSSt?

Am I giving too much up in dynamics with a simaudio single chassie dual torrodorial transformer design used to run five or seven channels vs the individuall transformer per channel that the Bryson offers. My concern is that even though most here will say that the simaudio is sonically superior coupled to dyns, I am just not sure if a single Titan can replace two Bryston Amps in dynamic driving ability. I am sure the easy anwser would be to be looking at a two chassie simaudio amp set up or moving up to the w amp line of simaudio, but my question is specific to the titan series because that is all that the budget can currenty handle f I wanted to upgrade sooner than later.
post #38 of 607 Old 07-04-2007, 06:56 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Well, I'm not an owner. I want to be one though. I almost bought a used P7, though it was just out of my price range so for the time being I've "settled" on a Cary C306. I haven't received it yet but am looking forward to hearing with my JM Labs. I still want that P7 by the way ...
post #39 of 607 Old 07-04-2007, 08:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynomike View Post

Hey folks, looking for your opinion;currently running Bryston 6B-SST for front three (Dynaudio 3.4S and SCX center) with plans to upgrade to C4's with the SCX eventually. Along with the speaker upgrade, I was tinking about putting some simaudio amps into the chain to squeeze even more performance out of my dyns, based on others opinions about the synergy of the two companys.

Well the reality is, there is only so much money to do this, so my question to you is in you honest opinion could a titan series simaudio five or seven channel amp handle the load of a pair of dynaudio C4's, a SCX center, and lets say for arguments sake a pair of dynaudio SR surrounds as well or better than a Bryston 6BSSt combined with a Bryston 4BSSt?

Am I giving too much up in dynamics with a simaudio single chassie dual torrodorial transformer design used to run five or seven channels vs the individuall transformer per channel that the Bryson offers. My concern is that even though most here will say that the simaudio is sonically superior coupled to dyns, I am just not sure if a single Titan can replace two Bryston Amps in dynamic driving ability. I am sure the easy anwser would be to be looking at a two chassie simaudio amp set up or moving up to the w amp line of simaudio, but my question is specific to the titan series because that is all that the budget can currenty handle f I wanted to upgrade sooner than later.

The Titan is more than capable of running the C4s and matching center/surrounds. If you want higher SPLs for home theater, stick with your Brystons. If you want a smoother more musical experience then the Simaudio Titan will give you that. The Simaudio stuff is generally higher current than Bryston, whereas Bryston has more watts useful for dynamic home theater playback.

You need to audition the pairing. I would find a local dealer that has Simaudio and ask to do an in home demo, or likewise find a Sim/Dyn dealer and bring your Bryston by. This is the only way you can really tell the pairing.

There are some things I like about the Bryston, and then there are other things I like about the Simaudio.
post #40 of 607 Old 07-04-2007, 08:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by neverman View Post

How much 2-channel bliss would I be missing with a Titan instead of a W? Hard to describe?

The Classic line only has a W5.3 which is a dual-mono stereo amplifier rated about 150 into 8, 300 into 4. Now it can be bridged for mono operation producing somewhere in the neighborhood of 400-500 watts into 8, and fully capable of driving 800 watts into 4 ohms, a rarity for bridging an amplifier.

It is a better amplifier, but justified, only you can tell.

What Dyns do you have?
post #41 of 607 Old 07-06-2007, 03:55 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynomike View Post

This answer comes straight from Costa at Simaudio:
Hi Brad,

The answer is easy, and one we wrestled with when designing the Titan and Aurora:

When it comes to the choice of one or two mains toroidal transformers vs. one for each channel, it is superior theoretically to have one for each channel. However, realistically, this is far from ideal. Here's why, described in a fictional example:

In a 5 x 100Wrms amplifier, putting 5 x , say, 150VA (volt-amperes, or watts, since P=VA), transformers will NOT give you the dynamics you are thinking you're getting. In a typical HT setup, the channels that work hardest (your fronts, and your center, each have access to 150VA of wattage to draw on, while the other channels may typically never use a significant portion of each of their 150VA capacity. So, the front channels are left "wanting more" in difficult conditions, but CANNOT draw on the channels that have the reserve, because each channel has its own transformer.

Now, 5 such transformers, with a total combined capacity of 5x 150VA, or 750VA (remember they cannot share power with each other), costs MORE than one or two transformers with a total combined capacity of, say 1200VA or more. When you have less transformers, they are shared between channels, so those that need more can draw more than a proportional amount. Do you see what I'm saying? This gives them the extra reserve they need for the additional drive of difficult loads.

I haven't even touched on transformer quality, and the Plitron many others use are much inferior in terms of actual VA they can give (instead of theoretical VA, kind of like Japanese receiver watts vs. North American watts) compared to what they actually deliver under difficult conditions. This spec is rarely if ever given out, because it is almost always poor, and can be described by the regulation factor of the transformer. It is here where Simaudio leaves its mark, with custom in-house designed toroids that deliver their rated VA under hard conditions, with a regulation factor of about 3%, which is quite excellent, and, usually an order of magnitude better than many "higher VA designs".

Brad Bossman
post #42 of 607 Old 07-06-2007, 06:02 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Pal - What are your impressions of the Aurora compared to the Titan. I don't have room in my rack for the later...Was considering a pairing between the Aurora and the Anthem D2, but may reconsider based on the news about SA's new AVP lineup (launch dates?).

Any showrooms that you know of in the B'more/DC area?
post #43 of 607 Old 07-06-2007, 06:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Are they coming out some day with a new A/V pro.
post #44 of 607 Old 07-10-2007, 03:56 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

sorry i have been gone all, trying to get the store in TN. up and ready to open.

All rite the Aurora and the Titan are 2 totally diff. beasts...

BEFORE I GO ON THERE IS A BIG B STOCK LIST ROM SIMAUDIO OUT RIGHT NOW PRETTY MUCH EVERYTHING IS ON IT!!!! I JUST DID A SYSTEM WITH A P-8 AND ANDROMEDA FOR A RIDICULOUS PRICE!!! CALL YOUR SIM DEALER!!!

The titan is like the all you could ever if you can't decide between 2-channel and multi-channel, its based on the W-5 design and has incredible head room... Not a multi-channel amp for the faint of heart. The Aurora is for those who "just aren't man enough for it" J/K. The Aurora offers many of the features of the titan without as much frontload headroom. Same power though....

AS FAR AS PRE/PRO's.... and another Simaudio amp?? C'mon you think Sim is going to make another Processor to replace the Stargate, that would have HDMI switching, be fully balanced, and be in an Evolution format???? HA! ha... ha.. ok... well um... maybe tey are... and maybe they are amking another one thats in a more affordable price point thats not balanced.... hmmmm....

Brad Bossman
post #45 of 607 Old 07-10-2007, 04:30 PM

Brad,

First of all congrats on the new store. I just wanted to take a second and thank you for posting up the info from Costa at Simaudio in refrence to my question, that is definitly going above and beyond. It is people like you that make this board a great place to hang out.

I must admit that I am very tempted to give the Titan at the very least an audition, now that the rest of my system is complete.
post #46 of 607 Old 07-12-2007, 07:50 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

A couple of question about the Titan:

12V trigger: mono or stereo mini-plug or does it matter?

The Owner's Manual indicates it is best to leave the Titan powered up at all times for optimal performance. Yet, later on it indicates that the amp should be turned on after the processor and turned off before the processor. These are mutually exclusive statements.

By powered on do they mean in standby or fully powered on?

Thank you.

Mike

"A banker: the person who lends you his umbrella when the sun is shining and wants it back the minute it rains" - Mark Twain
post #47 of 607 Old 07-12-2007, 02:48 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Powered on at all times, Sim poducts do much, much better when they stay on 24/7 you can actually hear the difference when they have been off for a few hours. I have a customer that has a pair of W-10 750W mono blocks and when he turns them off during a lightning storm he said it sounds like torture when they come back on for the first few hours.

As far as the mini... i believe its either/ or.

Hope that helps

Brad Bossman
post #48 of 607 Old 07-12-2007, 02:51 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

P.S. There is a Titan 5 and a Titan still on the B-Stock list in mint condition.... i almost bought the Titan 5 but i got the Andromeda that was on there instead

Brad Bossman
post #49 of 607 Old 07-12-2007, 02:52 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

P.S. There is a Titan 5 and a Titan 7 still on the B-Stock list in mint condition.... i almost bought the Titan 5 but i got the Andromeda that was on there instead

Brad Bossman
post #50 of 607 Old 07-31-2007, 07:40 AM

Yep, the price rise has certainly hit home here in Asia. It seems the whole integrated line is going to "RS". For example all the i5.3's are gone and been replaced with a i5.3RS - price differential is 15%.

Can anyone tell me if there are real differences between a RS and a non-RS?

I just had a listen to a i3-RS, i5.3-RS, and pre/power combo P5.3. There was a slight diff between the i3-RS and i5.3RS with the latter being "more", sound was smoother and seemed less strident even though in terms of wattage, the lower model was higher in wattage. But the diff between the separates and the integrated was even more pronounced - especially noticable in the mid-range.

The dealer said there might be some demos of the i7 hanging around. I am trying to get my ears on this as it might be worthwhile to buy as they are being replaced with a i7-RS. Any comments from the Sim owners here?
post #51 of 607 Old 08-05-2007, 07:13 PM

I just went and pulled the trigger - found a dealer with a i5.3 demo model, and bought that yesterday.

One comment - although the remote that comes with it is heavy and quite substantial, it does have a rattle and the rubber feet that covers the top screw just fell off. Also the aluminum back panel of the remote is not really flat.
post #52 of 607 Old 08-05-2007, 09:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Nice to see a SimAudio thread.

I am using a Aurora 7 Channel with my Dynaudio S5.4 great set up, looking to pick up some mono amps from Audigon one of these days. Would really like a Titan.
post #53 of 607 Old 08-16-2007, 09:41 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

About the remote Zero8 call Sim and they will deal with it, great company!

Brad Bossman
post #54 of 607 Old 08-16-2007, 09:42 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthemAVM View Post

Nice to see a SimAudio thread.

I am using a Aurora 7 Channel with my Dynaudio S5.4 great set up, looking to pick up some mono amps from Audigon one of these days. Would really like a Titan.

I've got a Titan for a good price if your interested... let me know... full waranty

Brad Bossman
post #55 of 607 Old 08-25-2007, 02:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I am trying to use the 12V trigger from my pre/pro (Anthem AVM-50) to my Titan power amp, but it doesn't seem to work. Basically, what I've done is shut the whole system off including the toggle switch on the back of the titan, connected the trigger wire, turned the toggle switch of the Titan back on and then powered the whole system on, but the titan does not come on. Because the Titan also has the push button on the back, I tried pushing this as well, but it still did not turn on. I disconnected the trigger, turned the Titan off and back on, pushed the push button and on it comes. Anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

Click here for pic of my 7.1 home theater system and here for pic of S2 surround wall mounting.

Click here for pic of my 2 channel system.

post #56 of 607 Old 08-25-2007, 02:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Blue,

You need to go into the setup of the AVM and set up the trigger, they are all off at this point.

Michael
post #57 of 607 Old 08-25-2007, 03:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Blue,

Pull our your remote out hold setup, tell it takes you into the setup mode. Then you will find a trigger section, then turn on the trigger.
post #58 of 607 Old 08-25-2007, 03:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Blue,

Pull our your remote out hold setup, tell it takes you into the setup mode. Then you will find a trigger section, then turn on the trigger.

Anthem; All my triggers are enabled.

Click here for pic of my 7.1 home theater system and here for pic of S2 surround wall mounting.

post #59 of 607 Old 08-25-2007, 03:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

If you have it in Trigger #1, highlight it, and make sure you have a * under MAIN.
post #60 of 607 Old 08-25-2007, 03:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

If you have it in Trigger #1, highlight it, and make sure you have a * under MAIN.

That is how I have it set.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page