Simaudio Owners Thread - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 20Likes

post #61 of 607 Old 08-26-2007, 08:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Ok, I've got the 12V trigger working. Apparently, The Titan will not work on stereo connectors. The 12V trigger wire must be mono.

Now, I have additional questions:

1.The Titans manual states that it is "designed to be powered up at all times for optimal performance". Has anyone tried comparing the sound when left on all the time vs powering it on? Is there that much of a difference?

2. The Titan uses a C-19 connector on the back vs the normal C-13. I would like to upgrade the cable, but can't find any. Does anyone know where these can be found?

I know the C-19's are high current connectors, but there must be some manufacturers that have these power cords.

3. Can the Titan be plugged into a power center such as the PS Audio Quintet? I like to have protection for my equipment and if the Titan must be plugged directly into the wall outlet, there is no point using the Quintet for my other equipment where they are all connected together through the audio connectors anyway.

Thanks,

Click here for pic of my 7.1 home theater system and here for pic of S2 surround wall mounting.

Click here for pic of my 2 channel system.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 607 Old 08-26-2007, 06:51 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a Titan 5-Ch amp and can respond to your #1 question. Yes, the amplifier does sound better when left powered up. In fact, I was initially a little dissapointed with the sound through my Dynaudio speakers (I picked the Titan up used, so it did not need "burn in" time). Following the recomendation, I left the unit on overnight and listened the next day and was amazed at the improvement in sound. The highs were not harsh and the bass was very precise, but very strong. The Titan is defintely a good match for the Dynaudios.

I now leave it powered up at all times and only turn the unit off when I will be out of town for several days. I do get a little "thump" through the spekaers when I turn on my processor (Anthem D1), but it is not anything major that will damage the speakers.

Good luck,
Mike

"A banker: the person who lends you his umbrella when the sun is shining and wants it back the minute it rains" - Mark Twain
post #63 of 607 Old 08-27-2007, 02:12 AM

I agree better to just leave the amp on except when away for a few days or more, or during an electrical storm or potential for one. A few places sell cords with C19 connections, APC for one http://www.apc.com/products/family/index.cfm?id=122. I'm sure some custom cable places could build one to spec as well.
According to PS Audio the Quintet doesn't restrict power, "unimpeded AC power flow" so it should work, but you'd need to try and see. Your last sentence is incorrect, you can still have reduced noise by simply using a conditioner for your source components. Lots of people plug their amps direct to the wall and still use conditioners for the rest.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 607 Old 08-27-2007, 05:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman07 View Post

I agree better to just leave the amp on except when away for a few days or more, or during an electrical storm or potential for one. A few places sell cords with C19 connections, APC for one http://www.apc.com/products/family/index.cfm?id=122. I'm sure some custom cable places could build one to spec as well.
According to PS Audio the Quintet doesn't restrict power, "unimpeded AC power flow" so it should work, but you'd need to try and see. Your last sentence is incorrect, you can still have reduced noise by simply using a conditioner for your source components. Lots of people plug their amps direct to the wall and still use conditioners for the rest.

Thanks, but what I meant by my last statement is for example: If I were looking to use the conditioner for protection but had, let's say, all my components plugged into the PS Audio except my CD player which I decide to plug directly into the wall. If there is a surge due to an electrical storm, it can potentially toast all my components because my CD player is linked to my pre amp through the IC's. All my other components are linked to the pre as well, therefore compromising any protection these other components would have.

Also, regarding the link you provided for APC, they do provide cords with C-19 ends, however, I doubt their cords are any better than what comes with the Titan. I am looking for a higher quality cord by a company like HT or VD.

Click here for pic of my 7.1 home theater system and here for pic of S2 surround wall mounting.

post #65 of 607 Old 08-27-2007, 05:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemark81 View Post

Thanks, but what I meant by my last statement is for example: If I were looking to use the conditioner for protection but had, let's say, all my components plugged into the PS Audio except my CD player which I decide to plug directly into the wall. If there is a surge due to an electrical storm, it can potentially toast all my components because my CD player is linked to my pre amp through the IC's. All my other components are linked to the pre as well, therefore compromising any protection these other components would have.

Also, regarding the link you provided for APC, they do provide cords with C-19 ends, however, I doubt their cords are any better than what comes with the Titan. I am looking for a higher quality cord by a company like HT or VD.

The best thing you can do is, 1. make sure you have less than 20 ohms resistance on your meter can ground rod, 2. put a surge protector at the meter can.
post #66 of 607 Old 09-06-2007, 09:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I am amazed how few SimAudio Amps are for sale on Audiogon.com. Looking to pick up used a 2 channel amp, that puts out more power than Aurora.

Michael
post #67 of 607 Old 09-06-2007, 09:20 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

As a dealer and someone who has heard the Audiogon horror stories i can tell you don't buy that nice of an amp there... An model in particular? I have some and also Sim has a B-stock list with full warr. on them for less, plus i would do a deal on new as well

Middle Tennessee & S.W. Florida
www.premieracousticlifestyles.com
see it. hear it. feel it.
Brad Bossman
post #68 of 607 Old 10-23-2007, 02:20 PM

Well 2007 is rapidly coming to an end and I beleive there was alot of talk about Simaudio introducing a few new HT line items for the coming year. Is this still a reality and if so when in 08' would one expect to see the new hotness.
post #69 of 607 Old 12-24-2007, 09:00 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Yes its real what would you like to know.... i can spill all the preliminary CES beans or leave a little for you to find out.

Brad Bossman
post #70 of 607 Old 12-24-2007, 10:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I say spill all the beans.
post #71 of 607 Old 12-25-2007, 09:57 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

The Moon CP-8, scheduled to be released Spring/ Summer will be the controller to end all controllers, ask if it does it and the answer is YES!
Fully Balanced: YES
HDMI 1.3: YES
DTS-HD MA: YES
DolbyTrue- YES
Expandable: YES
YES, YES, YES... This baby is it... i have pics which i will post, it will be get its looks and quality from the Evolution line... It is going to be amazing! Estimated MSRP: $15,000

Anything else you wanna know ask

Brad Bossman
post #72 of 607 Old 12-25-2007, 02:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

This is exciting news, as I am thinking about a replacement for my D2 in the nexy few years.
post #73 of 607 Old 12-25-2007, 02:30 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

well this would be a great replacement!

Brad Bossman
post #74 of 607 Old 12-25-2007, 04:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by pal1982 View Post

The Moon CP-8, scheduled to be released Spring/ Summer will be the controller to end all controllers, ask if it does it and the answer is YES!
Fully Balanced: YES
HDMI 1.3: YES
DTS-HD MA: YES
DolbyTrue- YES
Expandable: YES
YES, YES, YES... This baby is it... i have pics which i will post, it will be get its looks and quality from the Evolution line... It is going to be amazing! Estimated MSRP: $15,000

Anything else you wanna know ask

Hardly "amazing" at that price.

"The truth is out there!"
post #75 of 607 Old 12-25-2007, 04:23 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

you have to remember this is no run of the mill processor this is Simaudio we are talking about with only the best reputation and manufacturing the best of products, i guess if you want cheaper, get your gonna get cheaper quality

Brad Bossman
post #76 of 607 Old 12-25-2007, 05:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 60
If I recall correctly, Sim attraction line was a rebadged EAD processor (same chip/DAC/firmware) with better analog & power supply sections (which is Sim's strength).

Wonder what are they using now?

Cheers,
Kishore
post #77 of 607 Old 12-26-2007, 08:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Hello, just found this thead. i have a Titian powering my Dynaudio 3.3s T2.1 and a pair of SRs. Can I join in? BTW Im listening to Boble thru my Classe CP60. My AVM20 is no match for this old timer.
post #78 of 607 Old 12-26-2007, 09:00 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Welcome! I am brad host of the thread and a Simaudio dealer and owner, the Titan is one of Sim's best amps being almost 10 years old and still being their best selling.

Brad Bossman
post #79 of 607 Old 12-28-2007, 04:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I thought I read somewhere that hollow point RCA interconnects like the Eichmann Bullets should not be used with the Titan but I can't find it in the manual. Has anyone heard this before? I'm not sure if it was for the Titan or for my Anthem AVM50 processor, but I can't find anything in the manual regarding it either, so I'm not sure where I read it.

post #80 of 607 Old 12-28-2007, 08:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Quote:

I thought I read somewhere that hollow point RCA interconnects like the Eichmann Bullets should not be used with the Titan but I can't find it in the manual. Has anyone heard this before? I'm not sure if it was for the Titan or for my Anthem AVM50 processor, but I can't find anything in the manual regarding it either, so I'm not sure where I read it.

Sounds like a lot of hog wash to me. Believe half of what you see (read) here and none of what you hear.
post #81 of 607 Old 12-29-2007, 02:16 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:

I use Eichmann with my Titan.
post #82 of 607 Old 01-14-2008, 08:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

So did SimAudio annouce the new processor?
post #83 of 607 Old 02-01-2008, 07:40 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

I have aquired a Simaudio Moon P3. The primary problem I have is a very low level ground loop hum in my front three speakers when using the home theater bypass (Input A4). The front L/R speakers do not hum when using the cd input, but there is still a slight hum in the center speaker through my processor (Anthem D1).

I had the same problem prior to adding the P3, but was able to eleiminate the hum by running a wire from the grounding screws on my Titan and the D1, and to chassis screws on my two Outlaw monoblocks to create a common ground.

I am guessing that I could do the same thing with the P3, but it has no grounding screw on the back and the chassis screws seem to be some odd screw head type. Edit - I found that the head type is a standard hex and I ran a connection to the P-3, but to no avail - still have the hum.

I have tried just about everything else I could think of to eliminate the hum - including disconnecting items one-by-one from the processor, plugging all items into one circuit, and several other typical suggestions.

Suggestions?

Thank you,

Mike

"A banker: the person who lends you his umbrella when the sun is shining and wants it back the minute it rains" - Mark Twain
post #84 of 607 Old 02-01-2008, 10:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Why plug your CD player directly into the wall (not a good idea, IMO)? If you don't have enough outlets on your conditioner you can use an extension for such a low powered component and keep everything protected. As for power cords the most important thing is they are of adequate gauge, shielded and make good tight connections. A loose power cord can cause some unsettling things to happen when something turns one (I have learned the hard way). The PS Audio power cords look very well made and more than adequate for the task, and the lowest priced one should do fine.

post #85 of 607 Old 02-01-2008, 10:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

As a dealer and someone who has heard the Audiogon horror stories i can tell you don't buy that nice of an amp there... An model in particular? I have some and also Sim has a B-stock list with full warr. on them for less, plus i would do a deal on new as well

Pardon me if I can't help but mention your obvious self-interest in that statement, which I totally disagree with, based on my experience at Audiogon. Of course you need to do your due diligence in checking a seller thoroughly. Some of the worst "horror stories" actually involved dealers selling through Audiogon, although generally dealers are great sources for used or demo equipment, especially since you can usually use and have the protection of a Visa card.

post #86 of 607 Old 02-04-2008, 10:48 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Moon P3 question:

Are there remote control commands or a remote control that allows direct access of the inputs (cd and A1-A7) versus having to scroll through the inputs? I have been able to program macros on my universal remote to accomplish the scrolling, but it would be better to have direct access. (I have a home theater master MX-700 universal remote).

Are there any commands availble to remotely turn off the display or select the "monitor" button?

Are there discrete commands available for "on" and "off"?

It is frustrating that the unit does not leave the "display off" when you put the unit in standby and turn it back on later..... I guess I should not be as lazy as my cat....and get up and turn the display off when I watch movies or listen to cd's.

Thank you!

Mike

post #87 of 607 Old 02-22-2008, 08:01 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:

you have to remember this is no run of the mill processor this is Simaudio we are talking about with only the best reputation and manufacturing the best of products, i guess if you want cheaper, get your gonna get cheaper quality

So any more info or how about a few of those promised images?
post #88 of 607 Old 02-22-2008, 08:21 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

how do you post a pic? and i will post it

Brad Bossman
post #89 of 607 Old 02-27-2008, 10:45 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
See that little thing that looks like a postcard icon above where you type when posting? Use that to point to a photo that is on this sites uploaded images or any valid url on the web. You can't point it to a file on your personal computer ie. c:\\my_docs\\etc.
post #90 of 607 Old 03-01-2008, 03:36 PM

Quote:

I can't believe the greatest high-end audio equipment in the world doesn't have it's own thread... So I am starting one! I am a dealer of Simaudio in S.W. Florida and have been privildeged to carry the line for 4 years so any questions i will try to answer!---
Brad

Bradley,

I have owned a Moon W-5 amplifier for about eight years, and have been very pleased. Recently, I've considered purchasing a turntable, so I'm considering upgrading to the W-8 amplifier and P-8 preamplifier. Does the P-8 have an internal phono stage? Or would I have to purchase the LP5.3 as well?

By the way, I also have a Wadia 861 se, so I've been without a preamp for at least the last eight years.

If you have any recommendations, I would be interested in hearing them.

Best regards,

David
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page