"The" Onkyo TX-SR805 Thread - Page 799 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 460Likes

post #23941 of 23962 Old 07-08-2019, 02:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJMotter View Post
Understanding that the correct microphone will create the optimum tune, the key thing I worry about is the speaker distance calibration. My old ears can't detect minute differences in sound quality but I can clearly hear if a speaker is too loud/soft. I have puck style (from an SR605) and tower style (from an NR818) and have used both with both models (as well as many other models). For the life of me, I cannot detect the difference but I can tell if the sound levels out of my speakers is off. Both mic's set the sound level the same (based on reviewing the calibrated levels on the front display).

I am not saying they are the same nor am I saying that a true audiophile couldn't detect a difference, I am just saying that they will both improve the sound experience in a pinch.

Yes. That's why I bought a Radio Shack sound level meter off of eBay. That's equipment neutral. As I wrote earlier, I don't have a different microphone to use. So, at least at this point, I'm not going to spend money on the wrong one until I spend some time looking for the correct one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #23942 of 23962 Old 07-08-2019, 02:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1198 Post(s)
Liked: 1188
There must be someone in your area that can loan you a mic. Post a "want to borrow" ad.
tanman likes this.

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb
_____________________ http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/auger-handle/ ________________________
post #23943 of 23962 Old 07-08-2019, 03:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Here's someone less than 10 miles away from you, who is selling their system, which has an AVR that uses the same mic as yours. https://longisland.craigslist.org/el...915150378.html

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb
_____________________ http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/auger-handle/ ________________________
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #23944 of 23962 Old 07-08-2019, 04:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augerhandle View Post
Here's someone less than 10 miles away from you, who is selling their system, which has an AVR that uses the same mic as yours. https://longisland.craigslist.org/el...915150378.html
Nice find. But, it looks like he's in the same boat as I am. He lists that he has the receiver, remote & manual. But makes no mention of the mic.

I figured that I'd start my search here and on eBay. Given the popularity of this receiver at AVS when it came out, along with its age, I felt that this thread would be a good place to begin a search.

I also saved a bunch of searches at eBay, so that I'd get an email if someone adds a possible match.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
post #23945 of 23962 Old 07-08-2019, 09:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Broderick View Post
Nice find. But, it looks like he's in the same boat as I am. He lists that he has the receiver, remote & manual. But makes no mention of the mic.

It's free to ask him.

post #23946 of 23962 Old 07-08-2019, 09:38 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Bill, I recently ran across my Onkyo 805 MIC-5000 (right alongside my Denon mic). My 805 has been in a box since at least one of the channels went out. I can lend you my mic (or maybe just sell it to you), but unfortunately I am about to leave town for vacation and wouldn't be able to send until late July/early August. If you can wait that long, maybe we can work something out

LG B6 65" OLED, Phillips UHD BluRay, Denon AVR-X4000, Chromecast Ultra, Roku Ultra, eD speakers and sub
post #23947 of 23962 Old 07-09-2019, 08:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
It's free to ask him.

Fair point. I emailed the seller last night.
post #23948 of 23962 Old 07-09-2019, 08:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonvr View Post
Bill, I recently ran across my Onkyo 805 MIC-5000 (right alongside my Denon mic). My 805 has been in a box since at least one of the channels went out. I can lend you my mic (or maybe just sell it to you), but unfortunately I am about to leave town for vacation and wouldn't be able to send until late July/early August. If you can wait that long, maybe we can work something out

Thank you. When you return, please let me know. If another opportunity hasn't presented itself by then, I'd love to buy it from you if you want to sell it. Enjoy your vacation.
post #23949 of 23962 Old 07-09-2019, 09:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I may have one as well. This sits in my garage door music. I could probably loan it to you if your would like.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
post #23950 of 23962 Old 07-09-2019, 12:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingus View Post
I may have one as well. This sits in my garage door music. I could probably loan it to you if your would like.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Thank you. At this point, unless someone else offers to sell me theirs sooner, rather than borrowing one, I think that I'll wait for jasonvr to return from vacation and sell me his. Thanks again.
post #23951 of 23962 Old 07-10-2019, 08:48 AM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by tanman View Post
What's amazing is that after all of these years, there are so many people still using this beast! All I've lost are two HDMI inputs, thus far....
As I said before, my 805 is still working flawlessly. In order to help the amp section I use an Emotiva for RF and LF speakers since those need a lot of power (Rebel F208).
My 805 Works as a pre-amp for fronts, rest of the channels are amplified via my 805. You used the correct description...the 805 is a fine beast, and Onkyo never built again a model like that one.
post #23952 of 23962 Old 07-10-2019, 01:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanman View Post
What's amazing is that after all of these years, there are so many people still using this beast! All I've lost are two HDMI inputs, thus far....

Up until last month, when mine started missing IR signals from my Harmony remote, mine has been totally problem free. A few years ago, I thought that I had a problem with it. Whenever I turned it on, there would be a loud ticking sound that appeared to be coming from the unit. But, it turned out that the noise was coming from a "smart' power strip, that was positioned directly behind the AVR, that was turning on with the AVR as the Master component.

To "fix" the IR problem, I have an IR emitter attached to the front panel of the AVR, which is working perfectly (at least for now). I really have no desire to "upgrade" to a newer unit. With the exception of the ability to easily apply firmware updates, there really isn't anything that I would take advantage of with a newer receiver. I have no intention of adding new speakers to my existing 7.1 system and getting something with comparable amplifiers to power my (even older) 4 ohm M&K speakers won't be cheap.

I'm someone who usually looks at the impending "death" of a component as an opportunity to buy a new and improved toy. If I have to replace my TX-SR805, I will be getting a new toy. But, not necessarily a better one.
tanman likes this.
post #23953 of 23962 Old 07-10-2019, 01:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 421 Post(s)
Liked: 309
^^ It is going to be hard to depart from this unit. I do like features on the newer units, but if power and build is all you want, this one is a keeper
post #23954 of 23962 Old 07-21-2019, 01:34 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Yup! Picked one up from facebook marketplace for $150, and I have it running LCR on an SVS Ultra Tower surround system, no need to go separates when you got this beast of an AVR!

TCL/Roku 65" R615 4K TV, SVS Ultra 5.0 Tower Surround System, Onkyo TX-SR805 for LCR, Onkyo HTR 940 for Surrounds, Dual SVS PB-2000 Subwoofers, Sony UBP X700 4K Ultra Blu-ray Player
post #23955 of 23962 Old 07-21-2019, 03:37 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 19
My 805 is still in operation and every feature works, some 10 years after purchase. I keep a small fan running over the heat sinks to cool the internal parts and I believe that has added to its longevity. Annually, I wait for it to fail and it keeps running.
DJSirReal likes this.
post #23956 of 23962 Old 07-25-2019, 08:25 AM
Immaculate Grand Phoobah

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Display dead, no joy w/fix

Well, after 12 years my 805 has lost its display. Working fine, went on vacation (unplugged it naturally) turned it on after returning, no display. Followed Cambrian's fix (thanks!), but turned it on, display went on like it was resetting, then went blank (again) and smelled burning wire insulation (gone now, thankfully).

So, still somewhat usable, but cannot tell what sound setting I'm in, so on to another receiver Now I have to lug this heavy monster over to the Goodwill wagon to recycle it.

Are you talking' to me?
post #23957 of 23962 Old 07-25-2019, 08:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 421 Post(s)
Liked: 309
^^ Mine has been unplugged for 3 months due to house remodeling. Hope it turns on normal when I get ready to power on! Only thing lost thus far are 2 HDMI input ports.
post #23958 of 23962 Old 08-15-2019, 12:57 AM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 10
For those who change their onkyo sr805 to other new receivers from denon, marantz, anthem,yamaha etc, how is your experience in the sounding of the speakers??

did you feel any change in sounding because of lower amplifier? (the 805 has a powerful amplifier)
post #23959 of 23962 Old 08-15-2019, 08:39 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alkaizer View Post
For those who change their onkyo sr805 to other new receivers from denon, marantz, anthem,yamaha etc, how is your experience in the sounding of the speakers??

did you feel any change in sounding because of lower amplifier? (the 805 has a powerful amplifier)
I recently switched to an Onkyo RZ-830 and it actually sounds bigger, deeper, and so forth. But my impression is that it's the new room and/or the AccuEQ vs. what the 805 has. Hope that's at least a bit helpful.
post #23960 of 23962 Old 08-15-2019, 08:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

I found an irresistible deal on a Marantz 7012 a few month's back, so I frivolously bought it to replace my still-working 805. Upon hooking it up, it sounded super clear in comparison. Of course this was before Audyssey setup, so that might have made a difference.
I now use the Onkyo for Zone 2 deck speakers and one set of Atmos speakers (the Marantz processes 11.2 channels for 7.2.4, but only amplifies 9.2, thus the two additional amp channels).
tanman likes this.

post #23961 of 23962 Old 08-16-2019, 02:47 AM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
I found an irresistible deal on a Marantz 7012 a few month's back, so I frivolously bought it to replace my still-working 805. Upon hooking it up, it sounded super clear in comparison. Of course this was before Audyssey setup, so that might have made a difference.
I now use the Onkyo for Zone 2 deck speakers and one set of Atmos speakers (the Marantz processes 11.2 channels for 7.2.4, but only amplifies 9.2, thus the two additional amp channels).
super clear on a good way?
post #23962 of 23962 Old 08-16-2019, 07:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
super clear on a good way?
Yes

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page