The "Official" Outlaw 2200 Monoblock Thread - Page 11 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 36Likes

post #301 of 317 Old 11-30-2019, 02:13 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Stupid question time! If these have a max power of 600W, does that mean they draw 600W from the power outlet at all times? I'm trying to figure out how many of these I can potentially use without blowing fuses! And another stupid question: If they're 200W at 8ohms and 300W at 4ohms does that mean they're 250W at 6ohms? I know nothing about electricity. I really want to buy some of these during their BF sale but I'm afraid of overloading my outlets.

Last edited by papatoony2; 11-30-2019 at 03:00 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #302 of 317 Old 11-30-2019, 06:48 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 3919 Post(s)
Liked: 3186
Quote:
Originally Posted by papatoony2 View Post
Stupid question time! If these have a max power of 600W, does that mean they draw 600W from the power outlet at all times? I'm trying to figure out how many of these I can potentially use without blowing fuses! And another stupid question: If they're 200W at 8ohms and 300W at 4ohms does that mean they're 250W at 6ohms? I know nothing about electricity. I really want to buy some of these during their BF sale but I'm afraid of overloading my outlets.
You should be fine. Most times its unlikely that one will draw more than 50W continuous, if that. 10W is more likely for average use.
post #303 of 317 Old 11-30-2019, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
You should be fine. Most times its unlikely that one will draw more than 50W continuous, if that. 10W is more likely for average use.
Thanks for the response. Yea, I don't listen to my system at anywhere near reference levels (it's just a 5.1 bedroom system). -20db is about as high as I ever go on the volume knob, and even that's rare. I just saw in the manual that Outlaw tells you to use a dedicated 20 Amp capacity circuit with these and that's where I start to feel like I'm getting in over my head. I'd hate to buy a bunch of stuff to take my system to the next level only to find that the electrical in my room can't handle all of it. Am I being stupid even considering amps like this for a bedroom system? I just keep reading everywhere that without using external amplification, I'm not powering my speakers to their fullest potential & am leaving some SQ on the table.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #304 of 317 Old 11-30-2019, 11:12 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 3919 Post(s)
Liked: 3186
Quote:
Thanks for the response. Yea, I don't listen to my system at anywhere near reference levels (it's just a 5.1 bedroom system). -20db is about as high as I ever go on the volume knob, and even that's rare. I just saw in the manual that Outlaw tells you to use a dedicated 20 Amp capacity circuit with these and that's where I start to feel like I'm getting in over my head. I'd hate to buy a bunch of stuff to take my system to the next level only to find that the electrical in my room can't handle all of it. Am I being stupid even considering amps like this for a bedroom system? I just keep reading everywhere that without using external amplification, I'm not powering my speakers to their fullest potential & am leaving some SQ on the table.
Well you're fine running the 2200s on a single circuit. As to the rest I have no opinion, but I'm using 7 of them in 2 systems with no regrets.
Theheadsn likes this.
post #305 of 317 Old 11-30-2019, 06:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1296 Post(s)
Liked: 741
Quote:
And another stupid question: If they're 200W at 8ohms and 300W at 4ohms does that mean they're 250W at 6ohms? I know nothing about electricity. I really want to buy some of these during their BF sale but I'm afraid of overloading my outlets.

Yes. In fact, these amps are a knockoff of the old NHT A1 with a cheaper faceplate. The A1 was rated...250W/6Ω.
papatoony2 likes this.

--
"In many cases there aren’t two sides unless one side is 'reality' and the other is 'nonsense.'" - Phil Plait
Serious Audio Blog 
post #306 of 317 Old 11-30-2019, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DS-21 View Post
Yes. In fact, these amps are a knockoff of the old NHT A1 with a cheaper faceplate. The A1 was rated...250W/6Ω.
Thanks...so just to be sure, if I were to use three of these things with my 6ohm speakers it would draw a maximum of 750w from my outlet under max strain? Is that correct or am I not accounting for something?
post #307 of 317 Old 12-01-2019, 01:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks...so just to be sure, if I were to use three of these things with my 6ohm speakers it would draw a maximum of 750w from my outlet under max strain? Is that correct or am I not accounting for something?
Are you planning on using them for a club system pulsating with EDM? Are your speakers 60dB/W/m?

If not don't worry about max current draw.
Theheadsn likes this.

--
"In many cases there aren’t two sides unless one side is 'reality' and the other is 'nonsense.'" - Phil Plait
Serious Audio Blog 
post #308 of 317 Old 12-02-2019, 10:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by exm View Post
These monoblocks are as 'good' as receiver amps (so great if you need additional amplification). Don't use these for an upgrade and/or for higher end speakers. I recommend Parasound.

I wont fault you for a subjective opinion. Objectively though its just an opinion.

To say night and day is a little hyperbolic. Do these, a $300 200w single channel D class amp sound different then a $3500 250w 5 channel A/AB amp? More then likely yes But its not a fair comparison for a multitude of reasons. The same reason I don't compare TCL television to a LG OLED. Are they both TVs? Yes. Are they in the same class? Not even close. Parasound makes GREAT amps, so do a good handful of other companies. But most people dont have thousands upon thousands to spend on what ultimately may go ignored by "normal folk". Outlaw is by no means the bastion of excellence, but they sure put out a great product for the price. Like TCL with televisions, for the price, you really can't beat it. But if you want to spend a more, of course you can find something better. Especially when you decide to get into the A/B amp game, speakers most definitely sound warmer. You're not wrong for pointing out that Parasound makes a superior amp to Outlaw, youre just arguing an uncontested point.

A more direct comparison with these would probably be Monoprice, MAYBE even Emotiva. All three brands are entry level, but still great buys for the price.

End of the day, Outlaw OR Parasound, your "high end speakers" will get way more benefit from proper room acoustics then anything else. Doing that can make the most entry level of receiver amp driven speakers sound great.
post #309 of 317 Old 12-03-2019, 08:52 AM
exm
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theheadsn View Post
I wont fault you for a subjective opinion. Objectively though its just an opinion.

To say night and day is a little hyperbolic. Do these, a $300 200w single channel D class amp sound different then a $3500 250w 5 channel A/AB amp? More then likely yes But its not a fair comparison for a multitude of reasons. The same reason I don't compare TCL television to a LG OLED. Are they both TVs? Yes. Are they in the same class? Not even close. Parasound makes GREAT amps, so do a good handful of other companies. But most people dont have thousands upon thousands to spend on what ultimately may go ignored by "normal folk". Outlaw is by no means the bastion of excellence, but they sure put out a great product for the price. Like TCL with televisions, for the price, you really can't beat it. But if you want to spend a more, of course you can find something better. Especially when you decide to get into the A/B amp game, speakers most definitely sound warmer. You're not wrong for pointing out that Parasound makes a superior amp to Outlaw, youre just arguing an uncontested point.

A more direct comparison with these would probably be Monoprice, MAYBE even Emotiva. All three brands are entry level, but still great buys for the price.

End of the day, Outlaw OR Parasound, your "high end speakers" will get way more benefit from proper room acoustics then anything else. Doing that can make the most entry level of receiver amp driven speakers sound great.

Some fair points, and I actually mostly agree. Maybe 'night and day' is hyperbolic. However, there's a group out there that claims 'all amps sounds the same', which to me is equally hyperbolic.

And for the record: I am using TCL televisions in my basement (gaming room) and bedroom. I have a Sony 85X900F in my living room. To me, all are great televisions.
Theheadsn likes this.
post #310 of 317 Old 12-03-2019, 09:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 2670 Post(s)
Liked: 2556
Quote:

They are not Class D.

https://www.outlawaudio.com/support/faq_2200.html
compaddict and Theheadsn like this.
post #311 of 317 Old 12-03-2019, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Some fair points, and I actually mostly agree. Maybe 'night and day' is hyperbolic. However, there's a group out there that claims 'all amps sounds the same', which to me is equally hyperbolic.

And for the record: I am using TCL televisions in my basement (gaming room) and bedroom. I have a Sony 85X900F in my living room. To me, all are great televisions.
Agreed, they are great TVs lol I have one I used for my computer setup in the back room. Cant beat paying $250 for a 55" television.
Also youre right anyone who says there isnt a difference has probably never heard different amps side by side. I think those are the same people who say speakers are all the same as well.
post #312 of 317 Old 12-03-2019, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGLeduc View Post
Youre right they are a goofy hybrid. Class G is at the same table as Class D, but the Class A/B is where you hear a difference in amps comparatively. With it being A/B for the low volume, low wattage usage, Im not sure if I've ever "heard" the switch from that to Class G. Im sure someone can claim they have, but my ears havent been able to tell the moments lol
post #313 of 317 Old 12-03-2019, 05:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

To say night and day is a little hyperbolic. Do these, a $300 200w single channel D class amp sound different then a $3500 250w 5 channel A/AB amp? More then likely yes
Why? Under what circumstances?

This amp is also NOT Class D. It is AB with a couple different rail voltages.

Quote:
However, there's a group out there that claims 'all amps sounds the same', which to me is equally hyperbolic.

Nobody actually claims that, of course. There’s nuance that’s lost, even if the effective truth is audible differences in current nonbroken electronics used properly are more imagined than actual.

--
Serious Audio Blog 
post #314 of 317 Old 12-03-2019, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Why? Under what circumstances?

This amp is also NOT Class D. It is AB with a couple different rail voltages.

I did amend my previous statement, they are not Class D, but Class G when pushed hard. Which is in the same class for sure. They are A/B while in the lower power consumption.
post #315 of 317 Old 12-03-2019, 05:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I did amend my previous statement, they are not Class D, but Class G when pushed hard. Which is in the same class for sure.

Nope, totally completely indisputably different. They are just AB with two power rail voltages.

--
Serious Audio Blog 
post #316 of 317 Old 12-03-2019, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Nope, totally completely indisputably different. They are just AB with two power rail voltages.
Youre right about it using two power rail voltages, but i personally think most people wouldn't be able to discern the difference sonically.
post #317 of 317 Old 12-03-2019, 07:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Youre right about it using two power rail voltages, but i personally think most people wouldn't be able to discern the difference sonically.
There are definitely Class D amps that will sound different from the NHT A1 and knockoffs thereof from Outlaw, etc. The reason is many Class D amps are designs with output filters that interact with the driven load. The better Class D amps should not as a practical matter sound different from the NHT A1. On very sensitive speakers the best Class D amps should be quieter than the A1, which was after all original designed and specified to drive subwoofers.

--
Serious Audio Blog 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page