The "Official" Outlaw 2200 Monoblock Thread - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 36Likes

post #31 of 317 Old 04-17-2008, 10:26 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Murrell View Post

I always tend to say that amps have strengths for either fine music or kick ass HT, I think the Outlaw amps would fit in the later, not to say they are **** for music but I wouldn't think someone would go for something like a Parasound Halo for dedicated HT usage, likewise neither would be crap for their use, but IMHO some amps are best suited for one or the other, like ATI, I don't think IMHO anyone would beat them in shear HT playback but they are not the best for fine music

-Gary

I am looking more for music, but will use it for both eventually. But I care more about music. Does anyone agree/disagree with the above?? The problem is my Marantz SR5002 at 90 WPC is a little thin, but I'd like to keep the more musical sound.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 317 Old 04-18-2008, 03:03 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Im thinking about getting one of these to power my paradigm cc 690 center channel. Is the only place to get these the Outlaw website? Or are there other online dealers?

Gamertag: Fargus
Playstation ID: Fargus79
post #33 of 317 Old 04-18-2008, 09:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargus777 View Post

Im thinking about getting one of these to power my paradigm cc 690 center channel. Is the only place to get these the Outlaw website? Or are there other online dealers?

Only from Outlaws website.

Tee

"Enjoy Movies & Music"

My Home Theater
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 317 Old 04-25-2008, 09:30 PM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I just got my m2200's and one of them has an intemittant buzzing noise coming from the unit itself. It even does it in standby mode, but not while turned off. It does not come over the speakers. Anyone else have this problem?
post #35 of 317 Old 04-26-2008, 03:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Espectro View Post

I am looking more for music, but will use it for both eventually. But I care more about music. Does anyone agree/disagree with the above?? The problem is my Marantz SR5002 at 90 WPC is a little thin, but I'd like to keep the more musical sound.

I don't buy the idea that a properly operating modern solid state amps have a sonic signature. Look at the specs, they are all flat, have low distortion, high signal to noise, and so on. So long as the amp is not clipping I don't think people can reliably distinguish between two modern, properly operating amplifiers under controlled conditions.

Here is a study that was conducted some years ago comparing amps ranging from the amp section of a $200 receiver to an exotic refrigerator sized tube amp costing $6000 ea per monoblock. Twenty five hi-fi professionals were used as test subjects.

The results were very simple. Nobody could distinguish between the amps.

http://www.hometheaterfocus.com/rece...d-quality.aspx

Amplifier sonic signature claims are very much in the same class as power cable, exotic speaker wire, and interconnects, and the latest HDMI cable claims.

I would pick an amp based on something else - price, power efficiency, power rating, ability to handle your speaker's impedance rating, warranty, etc.
mountainman3520 likes this.

"Nature Abhors a Vacuum Tube" -  J. R. Pierce
post #36 of 317 Old 04-27-2008, 06:01 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobpaule View Post

Why not save space and use a "monoblock construction" 5 or 7 channel amp, with discrete toroidal trannys for each channel like a Sherbourn 5 channel?

Strangely enough I found this thread because my Sherbourn 5100 has a flakey RCA connection, and I am tired of having to wiggle the cable every now and then to get it to stay on.

I have to investigate but I think I can bridge four of the two channels on the Sherbourn, giving me a 3ch amp with 200w for center and 384 for each front. Then I would get two of the Outlaws for the rears or even three because their bulk discounts are insane in case I ever upgrade my preamp and go 6.1.

jp

edit - turns out that idea is a bust because the input channel when you bridge is the flakey one.
post #37 of 317 Old 04-28-2008, 05:57 PM

Liked: 10
I just installed three of these over the weekend and it is like night and day. So far I have nothing but high praises for the shipping, quality and now volume coming out of these.
post #38 of 317 Old 05-08-2008, 04:27 PM

Do you guys just plug these into good surge protectors, or do you have multiple power conditioners like the APC H15 ?
Also, how does the triggering work. You don't need multiple 12v trigger lines correct?
post #39 of 317 Old 05-28-2008, 12:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 30
I just purchased two of these today and hope to receive them by the end of the week... I plan on purchasing a third at a later point when I move all my gear into the basement we're finishing.

For now, these will power my front mains (RF-62's) and the third one I pick up later will power the center (RC-62). I figured my Pioneer VSX-92TXH could power the rear and surrounds just fine (RB-51's)

I'll report back on my experience with the 2200's soon!

-JasonThe "Z" Family Theater - I moved.
-Not your average sub build
-Klipsch Sonosub Build
SONY quality and customer service FTMFL
post #40 of 317 Old 05-28-2008, 08:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1297 Post(s)
Liked: 741
Quote:
Originally Posted by vitaminc View Post

My question would be, how does the Outlaw 2200 Monoblock sound when playing music (as oppose to HT)?

Particularly I am looking at classical music with a focus in strings concertos and overtures.

Um, like a competently-designed amp? It should sound no different than the other amps you mentioned. Even if there is a difference, moving one of your speakers 5mm in any direction would create a vastly larger sonic difference than might possibly be present in any of those amps.

It does not do that well with low impedances though; I wouldn't use one to drive Martin-Logans. Here are measurements of its more expensive and IMO better-looking twin (admittedly, I'm partial because I have two of them, though they're currently boxed up in my cellar), the NHT A1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by exm View Post

Kef Reference Three front, Reference Two side, Reference 200 Center, Q15.2 rear, TDM45 Sub.

Nice speakers! And, with a fairly constant and not-too-low impedance, a good match for these amps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotbeef View Post

how would you guys describe the outlaw sound? I've got my klipsch thx system on the way and am in the mood for some more power. I kinda like a slightly warmer sound but still clear and powerful.

Then you need different speakers or to deaden your room a bit. Or an EQ to shelve the highs of your speakers. A new amp won't help. (Unless it's something like a Crown XTi-series pro amp, and then only because the on-board EQ will allow you to roll off the highs and thus get that "warmer" sound.)

--
"In many cases there aren’t two sides unless one side is 'reality' and the other is 'nonsense.'" - Phil Plait
Serious Audio Blog 
post #41 of 317 Old 05-28-2008, 09:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Some of mine have been kicking for almost a year now with heavy use and no problems! I have noticed a couple of them are starting to buzz pretty loud though.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" -Arthur C. Clarke
post #42 of 317 Old 05-29-2008, 09:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 30
All of the buzzing/humming I've been reading is starting to turn me off. I'm glad that I'll have these in a separate closet when my basement is finished.

-JasonThe "Z" Family Theater - I moved.
-Not your average sub build
-Klipsch Sonosub Build
SONY quality and customer service FTMFL
post #43 of 317 Old 05-29-2008, 01:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1297 Post(s)
Liked: 741
Quote:
Originally Posted by yamahaSHO View Post

All of the buzzing/humming I've been reading is starting to turn me off. I'm glad that I'll have these in a separate closet when my basement is finished.

I wouldn't imagine that the buzzing is anything a little hot glue couldn't solve. That said, my NHT A1's didn't buzz when I used them.

--
"In many cases there aren’t two sides unless one side is 'reality' and the other is 'nonsense.'" - Phil Plait
Serious Audio Blog 
post #44 of 317 Old 06-10-2008, 02:55 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

the buzzing is transformer hum from nasty power in most cases, put the units on a balanced or isolated transformer power conditioner setup and I bet the buzzing in gone

-Gary
post #45 of 317 Old 06-10-2008, 03:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I just got my usual monthly Outlaw email and they have noted that they are raising the price of the 2200 to $349 in July.

Gary, a *few* of my Outlaws still hum pretty good and my power is as clean as it gets. 7 split between 2 dedicated 20 amp circuits at that.

I would think dirty power would make all 7 of them hum.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" -Arthur C. Clarke
post #46 of 317 Old 06-14-2008, 01:51 AM

see if you can get a isolation transformer or a balanced transformer to try them on, I used to have a stack of ATI 1502's used a monoblocks and 1 or 2 of them buzzed

this can be a amp problem but most of the time it is neutral/ground noise, PS Audio makes a device to cure this as well, for amp transformer buzzing, the buzzing is actually the transformer eating up junk in some cases, if you are up to it, open the unit and unscrew and re-seat the transformer in the 2200

I was still thinking of grabbing 5 of these, price increase in july?

-Gary
post #47 of 317 Old 10-07-2008, 03:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 55
I just called Axiom Audio as I have their M80's, VP150 and QS8's in my HT. I have a Denon 4308ci and it does a good job in my 18x13 room of driving all the speakers. I have not ever had amps so I am curious as to how they would make the Axioms sound.

The VP150 and QS8's are both 6 ohms and the M80s are 4 ohms. JC at Axiom said that my Denon would drive the center and surrounds fine, but he said I should amp the m80's. I asked him what he recommended and I said price was an issue. He said get a pair of Outlaw M2200s and that would work well.

Any thoughts?
post #48 of 317 Old 10-07-2008, 03:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hughmc View Post

I just called Axiom Audio as I have their M80's, VP150 and QS8's in my HT. I have a Denon 4308ci and it does a good job in my 18x13 room of driving all the speakers. I have not ever had amps so I am curious as to how they would make the Axioms sound.

The VP150 and QS8's are both 6 ohms and the M80s are 4 ohms. JC at Axiom said that my Denon would drive the center and surrounds fine, but he said I should amp the m80's. I asked him what he recommended and I said price was an issue. He said get a pair of Outlaw M2200s and that would work well.

Any thoughts?

Seems like they would work, but I would think that you would want to match amps on all speakers if you primarily run 5.1 or 7.1 for optimal sound. It might be great of 2 channel stereo but you would have to do a lot of tweaking to make sure your fronts don't overpower the rest of the system running 200W Outlaws over 100W AVR.

post #49 of 317 Old 10-07-2008, 03:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tleavit View Post

Seems like they would work, but I would think that you would want to match amps on all speakers if you primarily run 5.1 or 7.1 for optimal sound. It might be great of 2 channel stereo but you would have to do a lot of tweaking to make sure your fronts don't overpower the rest of the system running 200W Outlaws over 100W AVR.

That is what I was wondering but JC from Axiom said I would be fine.

How do I connect to the Outlaw Amps since the Denon 4308 doesn't have balanced jacks? And what and where are the unbalanced jacks on the 4308?
post #50 of 317 Old 10-07-2008, 04:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hughmc View Post

That is what I was wondering but JC from Axiom said I would be fine.

How do I connect to the Outlaw Amps since the Denon 4308 doesn't have balanced jacks? And what and where are the unbalanced jacks on the 4308?

You would use the 4308 pre-outs instead, like the pic below and they will work just as good.

Tee

"Enjoy Movies & Music"

My Home Theater
post #51 of 317 Old 10-07-2008, 04:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terence View Post

You would use the 4308 pre-outs instead, like the pic below and they will work just as good.

Awesome. I thought that was the case after looking at the back of the outlaw 2200 pic and my Denon.

Thanks, again AVS is such a valuable asset in AV.

And any RCA cables will be fine? or is there better quality and I don't mean Monster cable. One hundred dollar DVI cable I bought from Monster in 2004 was enough.
post #52 of 317 Old 11-19-2008, 11:41 PM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 21
i'm thinking about getting 3 more of these m2200 amps. would i be wise to sell my rotel rmb1075 amp and use 5 m2200's instead? (i have a pair of these already which drive my studio 100's).

i could always just get another 1 to drive my centre channel, which would give me a matched front end. problem is though i have no more room on my stand.

or buy 1 more monoblock and a smaller stereo amp for the rear surrounds. at least i'd have enough room. but 5 monoblocks do look sexy
post #53 of 317 Old 06-03-2009, 06:47 PM

Onkyo 875 with 3x2200s powering Polk LSi9/LSiC..... and nothing for LSiFX.
What should the ohm setting be on Onkyo?
Thanks!
post #54 of 317 Old 06-03-2009, 07:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirko View Post

Onkyo 875 with 3x2200s powering Polk LSi9/LSiC..... and nothing for LSiFX.
What should the ohm setting be on Onkyo?
Thanks!

Lsi are 4 ohm speakers and your Onkyo will only technically go down to 6ohm... bad thing (boom)... go get some more 2200's to run them.

post #55 of 317 Old 06-04-2009, 09:34 AM

So what should be the ohm setting with outlaws powering all 5 LSis?
post #56 of 317 Old 06-04-2009, 09:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirko View Post

So what should be the ohm setting with outlaws powering all 5 LSis?

The ohm rating only matters on the Onkyo if you are using the amp on the onkyo. You are using probably rca cables to the outlaw amps. the Outlaw amps can run at 4ohm and drive the Lsi just fine.

post #57 of 317 Old 06-04-2009, 09:54 AM

Ok, thank you. I'm learning as I go. Ohms is the last thing I am still learning about.
post #58 of 317 Old 06-13-2009, 12:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 98
A question to all. The specs on these amps say power consumption (max, I'd think) is 600 watts. Because I want to be sure, is that for one or a pair? If I bought these, I'd use two pair to bi-amp my speakers.

The other consideration: is anyone who's using at least four 2200s running them on a regular electrical outlet? Any problems? I do have power protection (2 Tripplite units), but I don't have a dedicated line for my system and if I eventually decide to buy these (all my wallet would allow at this point) I'd want to know I'm safe with them.

VPI, Grado, SME, Pioneer Elite, Magnum Dynalab, Day-Sequerra, Oppo, DVDO, McIntosh, Telefunken Black Diamond, Mirage, Kimber, Transparent, MIT, Pangea, Shunyata, PS Audio, Furman, Sanus
post #59 of 317 Old 06-13-2009, 12:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by prepress View Post

A question to all. The specs on these amps say power consumption (max, I'd think) is 600 watts. Because I want to be sure, is that for one or a pair? If I bought these, I'd use two pair to bi-amp my speakers.

The other consideration: is anyone who's using at least four 2200s running them on a regular electrical outlet? Any problems? I do have power protection (2 Tripplite units), but I don't have a dedicated line for my system and if I eventually decide to buy these (all my wallet would allow at this point) I'd want to know I'm safe with them.

I ran 5 temporarily on one shared outlet (with my entire bonus room which included TV, AVR, sub, sources, lights... etc). Up until my HT was finished.

That was really pushing it.

If you ran 4 on an outlet that was not shared with to much else drawing a load, you would be fine.

Dont go plugging a vacuum in it.

I'm not sure about those Triplites for amps. I have one also but I don't plug my amps into it.... they go right into the wall (2+ years no problems). I have 4 going into one 20 amp circuit (shared with other things) and 3 going into another 20 amp circuit (shared with other things).

post #60 of 317 Old 06-13-2009, 01:24 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by prepress View Post

I have run 7 of them on a 20 amp circuit

I have run 4000Watts worth of amps on a 20 amp circuit.

Unless you are holding concerts and you want 120dB constant in your room you are never going to trip the circuit....20 amp circuit can handle much, much more for split seconds, amps also have capicators and stored energy...

Conclusion, you are not even close to what I have in amps on circuits so I doubt you need to worry.

btw, I wouldnt share it though

It is not "open-minded" to reject knowledge - Bob Lee
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page