The "Official" VSX-94TXH Thread...:0) - Page 168 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes

post #5011 of 5037 Old 12-19-2018, 03:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamasboy View Post
Ha ha, I thought so.
Apologies for the much delayed response..

Regarding my past mentioned two issues

1. (resolved) The OSD Setup does not connect any longer; meaning when I turn the Receiver and TV on, and ROKU is displayed; as I hit the setup button on the receiver remote, the receiver displays "Cannot Connect" prior to removing the DirectTV receiver it was able to do so.

-- seems it is working as it should; perhaps user error

2. (UnResolved) The Multi Zone option does not allow for the HDMI 1 to be selected. How do I allow the ROKU (HDMI) to be available for multi zone so I can play streamed music to other zones at the same time I am playing on the primary

-- I would welcome input..and possible work arounds.. Goal is to be able to play ROKU (HDMI) and then select multi-room and allow additional output to multi room speakers hooked to a speaker selector box connected to the receiver. Yet I am unsure where on the receiver I connect the speaker selector box and then which device I select on the receiver as the multi room input source since HDMI is unavailable?

thank you
David
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5012 of 5037 Old 12-19-2018, 04:44 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 698 Post(s)
Liked: 500
Have you read the manual? IIRC, only analog audio can be played on other zones. Pioneer doesn't support digital audio on zones even with newer receivers.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
post #5013 of 5037 Old 12-21-2018, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post
Have you read the manual? IIRC, only analog audio can be played on other zones. Pioneer doesn't support digital audio on zones even with newer receivers.

yes sir, I did see that and I was curious some potential work arounds
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5014 of 5037 Old 12-22-2018, 06:15 AM

In order to do that, you need additional DAC hardware to convert digital audio into analog for zones. Obviously, Pioneer was not willing to do that when they designed it.

I seems to remember the much newer SC-1522 I had still lacks that capability. I now switched to use Yamaha and Onkyo receivers. Both can do digital audio on zone outs.

post #5015 of 5037 Old 12-22-2018, 02:42 PM

Quote:
In order to do that, you need additional DAC hardware to convert digital audio into analog for zones. Obviously, Pioneer was not willing to do that when they designed it.

I seems to remember the much newer SC-1522 I had still lacks that capability. I now switched to use Yamaha and Onkyo receivers. Both can do digital audio on zone outs.

Possible work around:

Purchased a HDMI Audio Extractor (1in x 2out:HDMI & RCA-LR)

1. Going to pass the HDMI signal through into the audio extractor Input and the output connected to HDMI 1 on my VSX-94TXH.
2. Then connect Audio Extractors RCA outputs to connect into the VSX-94TXH's multi room RCA input's (possibly the TV/SAT).
3. Then connect VSX-94TXH's multi-zone output to my home speaker selection box input

This should allow me to choose the VSX-94TXH's multi room input source as TV/SAT when the ROKU device is selected as main source (HDMI 1) and play whatever is selected on the ROKU through my home speakers.

New ROKU and HDMI Audio Extractor should arrive Monday Dec 24th

Thoughts?

RE:
Audio Extractor: JTDAT5CH
J-Tech Digital Premium Quality 1080P HDMI To HDMI + Audio (SPDIF + RCA Stereo) Audio Extractor Converter (Support Apple TV 4 Gen)
post #5016 of 5037 Old 12-22-2018, 05:02 PM

I know one thing: no Roku device will decode DD audio into 2-ch stereo. I don't believe audio extractor will do that either.

post #5017 of 5037 Old 12-23-2018, 08:48 AM

Quote:
I know one thing: no Roku device will decode DD audio into 2-ch stereo. I don't believe audio extractor will do that either.

Gotcha, so you are thinking I am going to be disappointed?

I'll let you know after I set it up...

Quick question, if I move to a 4k TV and use this receiver to pass the HDMI signal from the ROKU to the receiver for processing htt 5.1, and then to the TV, will I lose the benefit of the 4k resolution due to this receivers capabilities/compatibilities.

Basically If I go 4k, is the receiver a bad idea?

Dave
post #5018 of 5037 Old 12-23-2018, 11:13 AM

This receiver is HDMI 1.3. Can't even pass 3D (requires HDMI 1.4) not to mention 4K (requires HDMI 2.0).

post #5019 of 5037 Old 12-26-2018, 11:34 AM

Foxbat, thank you for the information

First topic:
The audio extractor was able to capture the ROKU HDMI OUT audio; I was able to connect from the extractor's audio RCA OUT to the SXS-94TXH Multi room IN to the Video 1 source. So basically what ever is playing on my ROKU, I can leverage the receivers multichannel functionality to play throughout my home speakers. Works like a charm at a cheap price.

Second Topic:
4K on the receiver is basically NOT going to happen, got ya. So I can guess I can go from ROKU directly to Monitor and pass the audio to the receivers as I am doing currently, Or Option #2 , buy a new receiver.

Thank you...
Dave
post #5020 of 5037 Old 12-26-2018, 11:43 AM

Try play something on the Roku that contains DD or DTS audio only and see what happens.

post #5021 of 5037 Old 12-29-2018, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Try play something on the Roku that contains DD or DTS audio only and see what happens.

Fox, Got ya

Will do ...

As an FYI, according to ROKU's web site under their new ULTRA series device, this is what is suggested in their audio spec sectin

Audio features

= Digital stereo over HDMI®
= DTS Digital Surround™ pass through over HDMI
= Dolby Audio™ and Dolby ATMOS® pass through over HDMI

So far under movies within Netflix/Amazon/HOB, etc i've been able to hear them throughout the home after passing through ROKU and then the audio extractor. Yet I have NOT confirmed they are DD or DTS yet. Primary purpose was for Sirius radio via Roku and Extractor

D
post #5022 of 5037 Old 12-30-2018, 03:37 PM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Roku owners can find 287 or more pages of discussion including much about audio support in the Official ROKU 4K (HDR) Premiere +/Ultra Owners Thread. In summary, it's complicated.
post #5023 of 5037 Old 07-17-2019, 09:44 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Does the output cable have to be the same as the input? I bought a home with a “built-in” 5.1 system (speakers are inlaid in the walls) and the VSX94 as its receiver. The previous owner has component cabling running through the wall and out to the wall-mounted tv, and of course speaker wire through the walls to the inlaid speakers.

I ran an HDMI cable from my Directv dvr to the receiver’s HDMI 1, and got sound from the inlaid speakers. When I hooked up the three component video cables from the VSX94 component OUT to the tv, no video. When I bypassed these with another hdmi cable (HDMI out) to the tv, I got video. The problem isn’t exactly solved though — my first preference by far is to take advantage of the inwall component cables.

So the question is, if HDMI is coming in from the source, must I use HDMI out for both audio and video, or should the component video be working?
post #5024 of 5037 Old 07-18-2019, 05:33 AM

For HDMI connection, your DVR requires HDCP protection all the way to the TV. Component video does not qualify. Besides, IIRC, the receiver won't convert video formats between digital and analog.

Most modern devices no longer offer or even allow component video output, e.g. a Blu Ray player. So, your in wall cables are kind of useless.

post #5025 of 5037 Old 07-22-2019, 02:03 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Okay, thanks.
post #5026 of 5037 Old 07-22-2019, 10:24 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
server error

hi there wondering if someone could help. I have connected Ethernet cable and went into home media. once i select internet radio. it says server error ... i have tried resetting the receiver. thank you
post #5027 of 5037 Old 07-23-2019, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brio25 View Post
I have connected Ethernet cable and went into home media. once i select internet radio. it says server error
As it not-so-helpfully says in the manual, The selected server cannot be accessed.
The world of streaming media has changed a lot since the VSX-94TXH was released and when the last Home Media Gallery firmware update and even back then the interface was a bit old fashioned. It's easy to spend others' money on more modern clients, but if you just want to use the receiver to stream audio without any display or other controls, then ensure that your receiver can reach the vTuner databse and check the station list for available streams.

If you're still having problems, then more specific details of what you did, what happened and how that differs from what you expect would help.
post #5028 of 5037 Old 07-23-2019, 03:19 PM

Thanks you very much for the reply. I tried what you sent me. I opened up the home media then selected internet radio. And as soon as I select that it says server error. It doesn’t give me any options for help or anything. I have a western digital cloud which is connected to the network and it shows up in the list. However when I go into select something in the cloud drive it says the same thing server error.

I have Tried the set on the home media it goes through and says found network. And continues on through it. But when I go back into internet radio it immediately says server error.
post #5029 of 5037 Old 07-24-2019, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Thanks you very much for the reply. I tried what you sent me. I opened up the home media then selected internet radio. And as soon as I select that it says server error. It doesn’t give me any options for help or anything. I have a western digital cloud which is connected to the network and it shows up in the list. However when I go into select something in the cloud drive it says the same thing server error.

I have Tried the set on the home media it goes through and says found network. And continues on through it. But when I go back into internet radio it immediately says server error.
You are welcome.

My Ethernet connected VSX-94TXH is here in the office with me, so I just changed input to Home Media Gallery and selected Internet Radio it also just says, Server Error. My H.M.G. firmware version is 3.5.16.6650, which I know if not the latest, but was able to play Internet Radio stations years ago. Curiously, the only address it tries to look up is channel.status.request.url, which of course does not exist. It does not even try to connect to the vTuner service.

Configuring the network to use - or not use - my web proxy made no difference. I switched the AVR to standby, then powered it on, restarting H.M.G. and it worked! I was able to navigate to a radio station and play it. It pays to follow
post #5030 of 5037 Old 07-24-2019, 09:58 PM

I have tried switching to standby and then restarting a number of times, It just isnt working for me. any other ideas That I can try?? thank you once again !!
post #5031 of 5037 Old 07-25-2019, 10:25 AM

Quote:
any other ideas That I can try??
Go into the H.M.G. and reconfigure the network, even if you don't actually change anything, then restart H.M.G. This will restart the network service and should get a new lease if you use DHCP. If you use a proxy, then try a direct connection, or vice versa.
If that doesn't help, then the most likely cause is something on your network interfering with traffic. You might try temporarily plugging the AVR directly into your router and starting H.M.G. Don't leave it connected. If that works, then you can work on identifying the network component, else check the H.M.G. firmware version and look into updating if it's older than mine (or just to see if it helps).
post #5032 of 5037 Old 07-25-2019, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJCxZ0 View Post
Go into the H.M.G. and reconfigure the network, even if you don't actually change anything, then restart H.M.G. This will restart the network service and should get a new lease if you use DHCP. If you use a proxy, then try a direct connection, or vice versa.
If that doesn't help, then the most likely cause is something on your network interfering with traffic. You might try temporarily plugging the AVR directly into your router and starting H.M.G. Don't leave it connected. If that works, then you can work on identifying the network component, else check the H.M.G. firmware version and look into updating if it's older than mine (or just to see if it helps).
Thank you once again for your continued help !!! i have tried these things!, I connected the Ethernet cable to my modem! and reconfigured... still nothing the firm ware that is on my unit is 3.5.16.6650 I am just lost! It really doesn't make sense!

Thank you
post #5033 of 5037 Old 07-27-2019, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Hi there I have checked the network and it is all fine! I was wondering if there is an update for the receiver, and where I would find it ??? thank you !!
post #5034 of 5037 Old 07-31-2019, 08:50 AM

Quote:

Hi there is there anything Else that you can think of that I can try ? Thank you very much !
post #5035 of 5037 Old 08-06-2019, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Hi there I have checked the network and it is all fine!
While I'm not suggesting that all is not fine with your network, you mention no detail of what you checked, how you checked it or what results you got from the check. That said, this isn't the right thread for network diagnosis.

Quote:
I was wondering if there is an update for the receiver, and where I would find it ???
Whether or not there is an update depends on what version you are running. There is discussion of the less-than-straightforward processes for updating the various firmware in this thread. I've never bothered to update any in my receiver.

Quote:
Hi there is there anything Else that you can think of that I can try ?
Not at the level of detail which you've provided. A video of power on, network configuration and startup of H.M.G. might be useful to provide the technical detail not yet mentioned.
post #5036 of 5037 Old 09-29-2019, 06:34 AM

Liked: 6
Unhappy Pioneer VSX-92TXH Firmware update

Hi there,

Any chance someone could PM me the firmware update zip file for the VSX-92TXH? I am still on original firmware but now I am hurting from bitstream droupouts and Atmos TrueHD-coded movies.
I read the instructions but I cannot find the actual firmware file anywhere...

There were extensive discussions about this in the past but the actual update could only be obtained via PM.

I would truly appreciate it.

Thanks
post #5037 of 5037 Old 10-07-2019, 11:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1238 Post(s)
Liked: 676
Quote:
Originally Posted by andalex View Post
Hi there,

Any chance someone could PM me the firmware update zip file for the VSX-92TXH? I am still on original firmware but now I am hurting from bitstream droupouts and Atmos TrueHD-coded movies.
I read the instructions but I cannot find the actual firmware file anywhere...

There were extensive discussions about this in the past but the actual update could only be obtained via PM.

I would truly appreciate it.

Thanks
PM me your email address and I'll send it to you.

"What do you mean it's too loud? My ears aren't even bleeding yet!"
Dedicated ARC Genesis Thread
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page