Outlaw Amps Owners Thread - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 196Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #31 of 721 Old 12-20-2007, 06:55 AM
Member
 
RPM2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 54
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoND View Post

I was wondering the same thing as far as efficiency of the monoblocks, as I know that receivers power ratings decrease as more channels are driven, in other words a 140W x 7 receiver might only be putting out 80W each channel when all channels are being driven. Anyone know how the Outlaw amps do in this respect if I went for one of their 7 channels in one unit compared to the separate monoblocks?

I figure having separate monoblocks would eliminate this issue, but would require extensive changes to my setup to accomodate the space needed for 7of these things, so I wanted to make sure I considered all options before dropping the cash and making the structural changes.

I don't really think it matters if you go monoblocks or 7 channels. I have the 7700 and it is great. I have it hooked up to an Onkyo SC-PR885P by balanced connectors. No hum or ground loop problems.
The 7 channel amp is going to have large power supply(s) I can't remember but I think the 7700 has two and the monoblocks have seven smaller power supplies. Some people think the large transformers store more energy for large dynamic sounds for a few channels and are better. After all you don't have seven channels going 100% all the time any way. Some say the 7 smaller transformers give more total power and are better. I say it all depends on the audio you are listening to at the time.
The main limiting factor is going to be your power going to the units if you have only one 15 or 20 amp line going into your room and everything is hooked to it you can't supply your amp with enough power. For true 7X200 watt output the line can't handle it.
I have two 15 amp lines with 2 SVS PB12/plus2 @900 watts each
2 AV123 RS1000 mains that have 350watt amps each (just for the 8" woofer-The other speakers are run by the main amp)
Outlaw 7700 is 7X200 watts
900X2=1800
350X2=750
7X200=1400
Lights and audio equipment maybe another 600 watts total. Projector burns about 200 alone.
A 15 amp 120 volt line has 1800 watts available. (Under perfect conditions)
So 15X2 is 30 ampsX120volts gives a total of 3600 watts available.
If all my equipment is at 100 %( which will never happen) then I need 4550 Watts to run it. I need more juice. (And so do most people)
Getting ready to run another 20 amp dedicated amp line.
I can dim and flicker the lights in my theater if I crank it up past ref.

Just something to think about.
RPM2 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 721 Old 12-20-2007, 04:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Terence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Atlanta, Ga
Posts: 1,252
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 20
The power supplies in the 2200's are a pancake design, that what makes them slim. Instead of the the power supply being tall like traditional ones, it is short and wide so the size would be the same.

Tee

"Enjoy Movies & Music"

My Home Theater
Terence is offline  
post #33 of 721 Old 12-21-2007, 06:09 AM
Member
 
RPM2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 54
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terence View Post

The power supplies in the 2200's are a pancake design, that what makes them slim. Instead of the the power supply being tall like traditional ones, it is short and wide so the size would be the same.

Are you saying the power supply is the same in the 2200 as the 7700/7500 or are you saying the design makes it the same as other similar monoblocks?
They don't look the same size between the 7700/7500 and 2200 to me. I understand about the 2200's being pan caked but it doesn't look larger in diameter.
From the pictures linked here http://www.prillaman.net/outlaw_pics/#7500svetYou can see the dual power supplies of the 7500 and the much thinner power supply of the 2200. Now if you add up the power supplies of the 2200 they may be even bigger than the 7700 but the point I was making is you still have two schools of thought on power supplies. A smaller dedicated power supply that could possibly run out of juice if long/large dynamics are played for that single channel or a large shared supply that all channels get to draw from that may not run out of juice if a single channel has the same load.

Even more important than the power supply size pictured is the quality of the components used. If you look at the pictures you can see the quality in these amps. Good stuff!
RPM2 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #34 of 721 Old 12-21-2007, 11:25 AM
Member
 
BloggingITGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Beaverton, OR
Posts: 156
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson23 View Post

BloggingItGuy...did u pay the shipping for sending back the amps to outlaw?

I didn't pay any shipping for the replacement amp they sent out.

It too had the problem with the humming transformers so I eventually sent it back under the 30 day trial guarantee.

I had to pay for shipping the amp back to them...they took it out of the refund cost for the amp. About $94...costs a lot to ship these beasts.

You can read about the entire experience here: http://itmanager.blogs.com/notes/200...tt-home-t.html

I think it's worth trying out Outlaw's amp, as other owners have gotten the same or similar amp with no humming from the transformers, which is great, however if you do have the problem with humming transformers, I'd probably just send it back and try an amp from a different company.

Outlaw support is very good, however. That can't be overstated for it's importance.

As for the other part of the thread, no, the power supplies in the 2200 are not the same as what's in the 7500/7700.
BloggingITGuy is offline  
post #35 of 721 Old 12-21-2007, 11:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
tleavit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Vancouver, Wa
Posts: 1,577
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 106
speaking of that. Some of my 2200's hum (low). If you put your ear up to them, you hear them humming. I stack them up 2 each and I've noticed that the 3 2200's that I have that are on the bottom of a 2 stack have the hum. Its not all that loud, usually have to be within 2 feet. The other 4 are silent. This is when they are in hibernation or full powered on.

3 2200’s go into one dedicated circuit (1 hums)

4 2200’s go into another dedicated cicuit (2 hum)

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" -Arthur C. Clarke
tleavit is online now  
post #36 of 721 Old 12-21-2007, 11:31 AM
Member
 
BloggingITGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Beaverton, OR
Posts: 156
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Yeah, it's normal for transformers to hum, but usually you have to be right next to them to hear them.

When you can hear it from 7 or 8 feet away, that's not good, but that's the situation I was running into with the 7700.
BloggingITGuy is offline  
post #37 of 721 Old 01-13-2009, 05:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
WestCoastD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: California
Posts: 7,728
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked: 125
I'm considering getting an OutLaw 7700 amp as I want to go to a 7.1 set-up. Is everyone happy with this amp?

I'm currently using a Parasound Halo A51 (250W X 5) along with an NAD T175 processor, and Monitor Audio GS-Series speakers (GS-60 fronts, GSLCR center, Energy RC-R rears), sound quality is excellent. I was considering just adding a Parasound Halo A21 amp (250W X 2) to get the additional 2 channels. But I was thinking it would be cleaner to have one unit (as opposed to two), it would be a hassle to mount.
WestCoastD is offline  
post #38 of 721 Old 01-14-2009, 05:15 AM
Senior Member
 
smbsocal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Statesville, NC
Posts: 309
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 77
I have run both Outlaw and Parasound amps. I currently use my Outlaw 7700 to drive my 5.1 system, 2 amp channels going to the fronts. The Parasound 1205a was my main amp before getting the Outlaw, it is now my 'spare' amp in case I need anything. I haven't run into a single issue in the past 4 years of owning my 7700, knock on wood.
smbsocal is offline  
post #39 of 721 Old 01-14-2009, 06:56 AM
exm
AVS Forum Special Member
 
exm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: NYY
Posts: 1,595
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by smbsocal View Post

I have run both Outlaw and Parasound amps. I currently use my Outlaw 7700 to drive my 5.1 system, 2 amp channels going to the fronts. The Parasound 1205a was my main amp before getting the Outlaw, it is now my 'spare' amp in case I need anything. I haven't run into a single issue in the past 4 years of owning my 7700, knock on wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoastD View Post

I'm considering getting an OutLaw 7700 amp as I want to go to a 7.1 set-up. Is everyone happy with this amp?

I'm currently using a Parasound Halo A51 (250W X 5) along with an NAD T175 processor, and Monitor Audio GS-Series speakers (GS-60 fronts, GSLCR center, Energy RC-R rears), sound quality is excellent. I was considering just adding a Parasound Halo A21 amp (250W X 2) to get the additional 2 channels. But I was thinking it would be cleaner to have one unit (as opposed to two), it would be a hassle to mount.

Interesting. I went from 7 x Outlaw MA2200 to a Parasound A51/A23 combo and IMO that was major improvement. Not sure what kind of power your rear speakers require, but instead of going for the 'cleaner' route, I would suggest sticking with one brand for similar amp characteristics. Consider the A23 (125W x 2) if your rears don't need a lot of power. I picked one up used on Audiogon for $500.
exm is offline  
post #40 of 721 Old 01-14-2009, 07:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
WestCoastD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: California
Posts: 7,728
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by exm View Post

Consider the A23 (125W x 2) if your rears don't need a lot of power. I picked one up used on Audiogon for $500.

wow, did'nt even think to consider that. Using one A23 is significantly much smaller than adding one A21. Thanks!
WestCoastD is offline  
post #41 of 721 Old 01-15-2009, 09:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
JimmyDaves's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Weatherford, Texas
Posts: 1,071
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have considered the 7700 7 channel amp for my home theater system. I already have the speakers and right now I'm using an Onkyo Receiver, but that's only until I get a really nice 7 channel amp.

I'm new to Outlaw's amps. Is the only way to purchase them from their online store or are they sold in other outlets? Thanks
JimmyDaves is offline  
post #42 of 721 Old 01-16-2009, 12:20 PM
exm
AVS Forum Special Member
 
exm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: NYY
Posts: 1,595
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyDaves View Post

I have considered the 7700 7 channel amp for my home theater system. I already have the speakers and right now I'm using an Onkyo Receiver, but that's only until I get a really nice 7 channel amp.

I'm new to Outlaw's amps. Is the only way to purchase them from their online store or are they sold in other outlets? Thanks

Online or used at Audiogon/eBay...
exm is offline  
post #43 of 721 Old 01-22-2009, 04:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
suffolk112000's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Jackson MI
Posts: 6,323
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I have an Outlaw 770 running with a Denon 3805 and AV123 Rocket 850's and I love the combo.
suffolk112000 is offline  
post #44 of 721 Old 01-22-2009, 09:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
JimmyDaves's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Weatherford, Texas
Posts: 1,071
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Does Outlaw ever have any sales events? I know they have some B Stock and some combination sales, but I don't want to purchase an amp and a processor if I already have a processor. It would be nice just to have a sale on their amps and other products separately.
JimmyDaves is offline  
post #45 of 721 Old 01-22-2009, 10:46 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Johnla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 11,586
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyDaves View Post

Does Outlaw ever have any sales events?.

Yes they do. Sign up to get on their email list, as that is about the only way you will get advance notice to find out about any sales or promotions.
Johnla is offline  
post #46 of 721 Old 02-22-2009, 10:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
JimmyDaves's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Weatherford, Texas
Posts: 1,071
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I'm seriously considering Outlaws 7500. It's a balanced amp 5x200 wpc and Outlaw's having a sale on some of their amps.

I was leaning towards their 7700, but chances are that even though I have speakers I can use for the 7.1, I almost never have space to use them. Plus getting the 7500 saves me $400 which is good in this economy.

Of course, I'd love to have the 7900. I don't think you'd ever consider another amp after having all that power at your disposal.

I looked into getting a Class D (digital) multi-channel amp and I guess I'm just not ready to step into that. I guess my only concern is if 200 wpc will be more than enough to power my speakers which are relatively effecient 8 ohm speakers and at least 90db efficient. My primary use is almost totally home theater and I just need the 7500 to bring out the best in my speakers and primarily for me, the center speaker for dialog and pretty much everything else.

Is there any good reason for me to go up to the 7900 (the 7500 is more affordable)? and does anyone think I should go ahead and get a 7700 even if I wouldn't currently be using the additional 2 channels? Lastly, if you order from Outlaw, do they pay shipping?

Thanks and let me know what you guys think of the sound quality of Outlaw's balanced amps ok?
JimmyDaves is offline  
post #47 of 721 Old 02-23-2009, 05:36 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
penngray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Florida
Posts: 26,476
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Yes they do. Sign up to get on their email list, as that is about the only way you will get advance notice to find out about any sales or promotions.

They do but compared to AV123 or Emotiva, Outlaw sales events are kind of a joke (IMO).

BTW, Im a very happy owner of 7 Outlaw 2200 Monblocks so Im not being a troll and trashing outlaw. I just wish they had some good sales once in awhile.

It is not "open-minded" to reject knowledge - Bob Lee
penngray is offline  
post #48 of 721 Old 02-23-2009, 05:43 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
penngray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Florida
Posts: 26,476
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
The main limiting factor is going to be your power going to the units if you have only one 15 or 20 amp line going into your room and everything is hooked to it you can't supply your amp with enough power. For true 7X200 watt output the line can't handle it.

A 20 amp circuit can handle much more then 1400 Watts peak.....continuous no but we are talking peak here.

btw, I have a 20 amp circuit that has the following on it....EP2500 (2000+W), Sunfire Sig II (2000W), DCX2496 and a couple of 12v transformers for fans/lighting/etc. On another 20 amp circuit in another room I have 5 2200 monoblocks and a FACE F1200TS amp another 2000+W amp

Never had a problem in over two years at my new house and I have pumped some serious dBs out of my monster system.


btw, I agree that 20 amps for a whole room is silly, Audio equipments needs a dedicated circuit but a 20 Amp circuit can handle more then you think for split seconds.

It is not "open-minded" to reject knowledge - Bob Lee
penngray is offline  
post #49 of 721 Old 02-23-2009, 09:55 AM
Advanced Member
 
bigbare's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 720
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
If one were to look at theproduct specifications they should find a place that indicates the amps required for the unit. Take those and add them all up the add 10% and there is the size circuit one needs for their gear. There is no magic or "under perfect conditions" if you have a 15 amp line it handles 15 amps same for anyother size. If you breaker trips then you are either overloaded or you have a bad breaker. My job puts me in touch with electricity and electrical loads all the time so I speak from experience.

"Sometimes you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right"
bigbare is offline  
post #50 of 721 Old 02-24-2009, 02:08 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Johnla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 11,586
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by penngray View Post

They do but compared to AV123 or Emotiva, Outlaw sales events are kind of a joke (IMO).

BTW, Im a very happy owner of 7 Outlaw 2200 Monblocks so Im not being a troll and trashing outlaw. I just wish they had some good sales once in awhile.

Well some, but not all of the Outlaw amps are built in the US for them by ATI. So I'm sure that has something to do with their pricing not being as low as some others are.
Johnla is offline  
post #51 of 721 Old 04-30-2009, 08:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
yamahaSHO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 1,788
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by tleavit View Post

speaking of that. Some of my 2200's hum (low). If you put your ear up to them, you hear them humming. I stack them up 2 each and I've noticed that the 3 2200's that I have that are on the bottom of a 2 stack have the hum. Its not all that loud, usually have to be within 2 feet. The other 4 are silent. This is when they are in hibernation or full powered on.

3 2200’s go into one dedicated circuit (1 hums)

4 2200’s go into another dedicated cicuit (2 hum)

I've got three 2200's and they all hum. It's not a huge deal to me as it's not loud and are in a separate room.

-JasonThe "Z" Family Theater - I moved.
-Not your average sub build
-Klipsch Sonosub Build
SONY quality and customer service FTMFL
yamahaSHO is offline  
post #52 of 721 Old 04-30-2009, 08:06 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
penngray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Florida
Posts: 26,476
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:


I've got three 2200's and they all hum. It's not a huge deal to me as it's not loud and are in a separate room.

Very interesting, none of my 2200s hum or I havent been close enough to them to hear anything.

It is not "open-minded" to reject knowledge - Bob Lee
penngray is offline  
post #53 of 721 Old 04-30-2009, 08:08 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
penngray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Florida
Posts: 26,476
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by penngray View Post

They do but compared to AV123 or Emotiva, Outlaw sales events are kind of a joke (IMO).

BTW, Im a very happy owner of 7 Outlaw 2200 Monblocks so Im not being a troll and trashing outlaw. I just wish they had some good sales once in awhile.


I have to updated this because since posting my opinion that they never have sales I did receive the email on the 2200 sale which I think is pretty damn good and free shipping! Maybe they read my last post

It is not "open-minded" to reject knowledge - Bob Lee
penngray is offline  
post #54 of 721 Old 04-30-2009, 09:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
tleavit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Vancouver, Wa
Posts: 1,577
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by penngray View Post

Very interesting, none of my 2200s hum or I havent been close enough to them to hear anything.

I'm going on 1.5 years with mine now (7) and they all still hum at the same volume as they always have. But the hum is so low that you really need to be within 5 feet to hear and they arnt loud enough to be heard over any sound from the system. I still love the things to death. the only thing I seriously would like to do is trade them for the 300 watt x7 Outlaw unit but its just to much and Ive put to much into the monoblocks now.

I'm so absolutely happy I got the monoblocks.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" -Arthur C. Clarke
tleavit is online now  
post #55 of 721 Old 04-30-2009, 11:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
yamahaSHO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 1,788
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 30
I love my 2200's as well. They wake up my Klipsch RF-62's and RC-62. I let my receiver power the surrounds and rears.

-JasonThe "Z" Family Theater - I moved.
-Not your average sub build
-Klipsch Sonosub Build
SONY quality and customer service FTMFL
yamahaSHO is offline  
post #56 of 721 Old 04-17-2013, 04:52 AM
Newbie
 
bdowning's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10


I have an Outlaw 7500 and I'm in the process of upgrading/augmenting my entire audio outfit, beginning with a Middle Atlantic Slim-5 rack.

I was displeased to find the Outlaw 7500 didn't fit into a 4U shelf space.
The feet raise it too high.

Since M.A sell all the necessary blank faces/vented faces, I bought an assortment, but since the Outlaw doesn't fit, there's not much I can do except leave a blank, empty space.
I'd prefer a proper 1 space vented cover for aesthetic's sake.

Does anyone know of a rack kit for Outlaw amps in general, or mods that will allow acceptable airflow around the amp, yet have it fit into a 4U shelf?

Thanks,
BSD
bdowning is offline  
post #57 of 721 Old 05-07-2013, 01:09 PM
Member
 
dokejd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Denver
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Does anyone know of a rack kit for Outlaw amps in general, or mods that will allow acceptable airflow around the amp, yet have it fit into a 4U shelf?

bdowning, have you considered using a heavy-duty equipment rack shelf? I've been wondering if the Outlaw amps were rack-mountable or not... I've been thinking about what to do for future setup if not mountable. I eventually plan to go the equipment rack route, and I was already going to get some shelves for things like PS3, DVR, cable modem, etc. StarTech makes some heavy duty shelves, such as the ADJSHELFHDV (250# capacity, vented, adjustable depth from 19.5 to 38.3"). I don't think this would keep you within 4U though.
dokejd is offline  
post #58 of 721 Old 12-08-2013, 09:48 PM
Member
 
mmyers300's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 23
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12

Anyone compare an Outlaw Audio amp with an integrated receiver?  I am now comparing a used Outlaw Audio 770 (200Wx7) against my Denon 5700 (140Wx5) and am, surprisingly, not finding much of a difference in terms of sound quality.  I have an Oppo BDP-93 Bluray player and Paradigm Studio 40's.

 

Using the Dire Straits Brothers in Arms SACD, I first listened to my existing Denon setup and then wired up the Outlaw 770, expected greatness and found, as much as I can tell, the same sound quality.  I redid the comparison at louder volumes ~90db (using my Radio Shack meter) and, still, can't say that I heard a difference. 

 

I also compared the black hawk scene of White House down at high volumes (~95db) and I'm just not finding much of a difference.

 

I thought I had a decent ear and appreciate a good recording, movie soundtrack, etc, but now I'm wondering...  am I missing something??

 

I have a pretty small basement room 10'x20' and maybe I just have no use for the extra wattage.

Maybe the Denon 5700 is that good??

mmyers300 is offline  
post #59 of 721 Old 12-09-2013, 05:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Terence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Atlanta, Ga
Posts: 1,252
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmyers300 View Post

Anyone compare an Outlaw Audio amp with an integrated receiver?  I am now comparing a used Outlaw Audio 770 (200Wx7) against my Denon 5700 (140Wx5) and am, surprisingly, not finding much of a difference in terms of sound quality.  I have an Oppo BDP-93 Bluray player and Paradigm Studio 40's.

Using the Dire Straits Brothers in Arms SACD, I first listened to my existing Denon setup and then wired up the Outlaw 770, expected greatness and found, as much as I can tell, the same sound quality.  I redid the comparison at louder volumes ~90db (using my Radio Shack meter) and, still, can't say that I heard a difference. 

I also compared the black hawk scene of White House down at high volumes (~95db) and I'm just not finding much of a difference.

I thought I had a decent ear and appreciate a good recording, movie soundtrack, etc, but now I'm wondering...  am I missing something??

I have a pretty small basement room 10'x20' and maybe I just have no use for the extra wattage.
Maybe the Denon 5700 is that good??

To be fair with your comparison.

Did you use a dedicated Pre/Pro with the outlaw 770?

Separates vs an AVR rather than an AVR used as a Pre/Pro for the shoot out.

Tee

"Enjoy Movies & Music"

My Home Theater
Terence is offline  
post #60 of 721 Old 12-09-2013, 03:34 PM
Member
 
mmyers300's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 23
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12

No, I used the preamp outs on the Denon to the Outlaw amp.  I wanted to just compare amp vs amp...  I guess because I also don't have another preamp :)

mmyers300 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off