New Onkyo/Integra: Hum problem test - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 39 Old 11-01-2007, 05:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've scanned through all of the Onkyo & Integra "official" threads and off-shoots and I really think this warrants a separate topic of discussion.
I have an Onkyo TX-SR705 and never noticed any hum issues until I knew what to look for but I don't know what should be expected. After reading so many complaints I started looking at my own receiver more closely and have found that I have a very noticeable hum coming from all of my speakers when BOTH of the following two conditions are met...
1.) The volume is set to anything above -15db. The hum at reference level (0db) is VERY noticeable and annoying.
2.) ANY DSP mode is engaged. The receiver output is (nearly) completely silent while in "Direct" and "Pure Audio" modes.

Although we really never listen to a movie or music at reference level it is my understanding that every "THX Certified" receiver should meet certain quality standards while playing at this volume. Since (I believe) mine falls short I was wondering if maybe my expectations are too high, if I have a problem with my unit, or if this is a common trait among some or all of the new Onkyo lineup? I have written Onkyo AND THX on this and have yet to hear back.
I do not believe my issue is related in any way to video noise or other outside electronic inference because the hum exists even when ALL of my components are disconnected from the receiver. If you have a new Onkyo or Integra receiver (and a few minutes) please take the time to try this and report your results...

1) Turn off all of your components EXCEPT your receiver.
2) Switch to any input (other than the radio or phono sources).
3) Select any DSP mode (DD, DTS, etc...)
4) Turn the volume up to 0db.
5) Listen for speaker hum
6) Switch to "Pure Audio" or "Direct"
7) Listen for hum again

The steps make it sound like a chore but it should only take less than a minute. Please report your results, good or bad here. In my case there is a SUBSTANTIAL loss of hum once the receiver is no longer processing the signal (Direct and Pure Audio modes).
I would also be very interested to hear from the Integra owners out there, see if that extra money made a difference.
Thanks!

*UPDATE: 11/09/07*
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Since my initial post I have done some more testing, here is what I found...

First, all tests below were performed starting at a 0db volume and without ANY components connected, I even unplugged my AM/FM antennas. The ONLY things connected to my receiver were 5 speakers (4 towers, 1 center).
Here is what I found...
At first the problem *seemed* like it may be related to EQ settings but I doubt the EQ itself is the issue. It may just be that the amplification of certain frequencies exaggerates things? Read on, I'll explain.

Here are the tests I performed and my results...
1st: EQ tests
With Audyssey engaged the issue is MUCH more pronounced. When I turned off the EQ entirely the hum was not completely gone but it was not noticeable unless you were close to a speaker and really listening for it (good enough for me to say "no hum" but an audiophile would disagree). When I started playing with the EQ manually I found that if I bumped up the level past 0db on the lower bands the hum began to come back, if I bumped up the higher bands the hum was still there but the tone changes to almost a soft buzz. This was consistent no matter what input source or DSP mode was selected (this does not apply to "Pure Audio" and "Direct", I'll get to those later). When I disabled the EQ again I tried changing only the bass/treble tone controls, similar results (increasing the bass raised the hum, increasing treble raised the buzz) the only thing different while testing the tone controls was that the hum disappeared under this scenario with THX engaged. THX seems to make no difference if the manual EQ or the Audyssey EQ is engaged.

2nd: Volume tests
I then reset the tone controls to 0 again and began playing with volume. With the EQ off and the master volume set to 0db I was back to (almost) no hum. I then began turning up the volume until the hum began to get very noticeable again, around the +10 level (with the EQ still off). I turned it back down to 0db and tried raising the InteliVolume, same results as the master volume (as would be expected). Then I reset the Intelivolume and tried the volume on each speaker independently, same results per speaker.

3rd: Crossover tests
It's important to note that during all of the above mentioned tests I had no sub-woofer connected and my speakers were all set to "Full Band". I reset the volume again (my EQ was still off at this point) and the hum disappeared again. I then turned the volume up to +15 so that hum was nice and annoying and I switched my speakers from "Full Band" to 80Hz, the hum was slightly reduced and it changed to a softer buzz type of sound (just like increasing the higher bands on the EQ).

4th: Pure Audio (and Direct) mode
I then switched to Pure Audio mode and repeated all of the above tests. At no time was there EVER any significant hum to speak of. Turning the volume up past +10 produced a VERY slight sound but that was only audible within inches of the speaker, at a normal listening position the system always remained completely silent. The same can be said for Direct mode.

My conclusions:
It would seem the 705 may have a flaw related in some way to the DSP processing but it DOES seem to operate (barely) as per the THX reference level spec when all EQ and Volume configurations are at or below 0db, there is no significant hum/buzz until SOMETHING is raised past the 0db mark (any volume or EQ setting). The problem is that in order to maintain this quality the 0db mark must be used as an across the board MAXIMUM, in other words if you would like to raise a given frequency band to the highest setting it should remain at 0db and all other bands should either be lowered OR the "InteliVolume" should be lowered to compensate for any setting raised above 0db. My only question is does Onkyo agree and consider a certain degree of speaker hum normal in this case? I have asked and am still waiting on an answer.

I have read that some users have returned their 705 and upgraded to the 805 to resolve their hum "issue". I'm wondering if this really solves anything or if the increase in output power simply makes most people a little less-inclined to push the power limits because raising the volume to a point that would introduce hum raises the listening level to an uncomfortable volume? Just a guess?

I've got until Monday to return my 705. I was thinking of getting the 805 but noticed it's about 4" deeper, it won't fit in my rack.
I've also been thinking about trying to track down an Integra DTR-6.8 but haven't been able to so far. Had a slight glimmer of hope when I came across the Onkyo 705P model but it looks like it's just a standard 705 with a rack mountable option. :/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 Old 11-01-2007, 05:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
There is a problem with the Onkyo 705's. I sent mine back because it caused Subwoofer Hum which got worse with the more HDMI cables I had plugged in.

Switched it for the 805 and all is good now.
post #3 of 39 Old 11-01-2007, 07:27 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boogie7910 View Post

There is a problem with the Onkyo 705's. I sent mine back because it caused Subwoofer Hum which got worse with the more HDMI cables I had plugged in.

Switched it for the 805 and all is good now.

The hum was only on your sub? That's interesting, I don't have a sub connected at the moment. Actually, I'm sub-shopping right now, looking at Outlaw and Hsu. Sounds like the hum *may* be tied to the lower feq bandwith, I'll have to play with my crossover settings and see if it makes a difference. Then again...if the that were the problem I would think Pure Audio would make no difference, or even make it worse??
Out of curiosity, are you running full-size fronts (and/or surrounds) or do you have a satellite system?
I would like to think if there were an issue with only the 705's then Onkyo would address it, also makes me wonder how the 705 passed THX certification.
I really can't justify the extra $$ for an 805, I was really hoping I just had a bad unit but I don't really want to go through all the trouble of returning it for another, setting it all back up again, and having the same problem. I've got a little over one week left for a return so I need to decide what I am going to do.

Has anyone tried the hum test and confirmed that their 705 does NOT have this issue?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 39 Old 11-01-2007, 02:35 PM

AS`earlier reported I have the hum (sounds like a bad disease) that goes away when in Pure Audio mode - it is especially loud when the PS3 is paused. I have decided not to take the chance on another 705 - I like the results the other guys have gotten from their upgrade to the 805 and that's what I am going to do. I will report back when the switch has been made. I am okay with the upgrade because I find the power of the 705 a little insufficient on certain movies that should be watched loud - Top Gun and Transformers both on HD DVD for example.

RN
post #5 of 39 Old 11-01-2007, 03:00 PM

I'm also having the same issue, a very pronounced hum through all my speakers and also my sub (SVS PB10).

I went the long way swapped it out for another one and unfortunately the new one is doing the same thing. Both units were purchased through Amazon who have thus far been very accommodating.

One other thing I noticed is that it seems to get worse after the unit is warmed up.

I've been a huge Onkyo fan for many years (recently sold a 989 which of course worked flawlessly) so I'm thinking about going the 805 route but honestly don't need the extra horsepower for my current setup. I'm also considering a Yamaha RX-V1800 but haven't seen a ton of feedback about it like these Onkyo units. The little I've seen has been relatively issue free which at this point would be huge plus.
post #6 of 39 Old 11-02-2007, 03:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by damnesiac View Post

The hum was only on your sub? That's interesting, I don't have a sub connected at the moment.

Yes, it was only in my sub. I've heard that the Hum appears in peoples speakers instead, if they don't have a Sub connected.

Quote:

Actually, I'm sub-shopping right now, looking at Outlaw and Hsu. Sounds like the hum *may* be tied to the lower feq bandwith, I'll have to play with my crossover settings and see if it makes a difference. Then again...if the that were the problem I would think Pure Audio would make no difference, or even make it worse??

I played with everything. Crossover settings didn't have any effect on the Hum. When switched to Pure Audio mode the Hum went away, and in Direct mode it was greatly reduced.

Try testing your HDMI cables. When it's Humming again, take out your HDMI cables 1 by one and see if the Hum lessens or goes away. I noticed that when I took out all my HDMI cables the Hum was greatly reduced to almost nothing, but as soon as I plugged the first one back in it came back, then the second HDMI cable it got worse, and the third HDMI cable it was really loud.

Test this and post your results.

Quote:

Out of curiosity, are you running full-size fronts (and/or surrounds) or do you have a satellite system?

I'm using 4 Athena Bookshelf speakers for my Front L/R and Surrounds. An Athena C1 for my Center, and a SVS PB10 Sub. The crossover settings I use is 80Hz on all my speakers, and 120Hz on the LFE.

Quote:

I would like to think if there were an issue with only the 705's then Onkyo would address it, also makes me wonder how the 705 passed THX certification.

I remember reading something that a member posted. They said they wrote an email to Onkyo and they sort of admitted to the problem.

Quote:

I really can't justify the extra $$ for an 805, I was really hoping I just had a bad unit but I don't really want to go through all the trouble of returning it for another, setting it all back up again, and having the same problem. I've got a little over one week left for a return so I need to decide what I am going to do.

I wouldn't recommend getting another 705. Someone else did that and the Hum was still there.
post #7 of 39 Old 11-02-2007, 04:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked: 181
I had hum problems (including the sub) on several units from different manufacturers.

They proved almost exclusively to be ground or ground loop problems, which could be resolved by proper grounding the units and / or reversing plugs and cabeling to connected units or replacing cables.

I would recommend, checking Your installation thoroughly for those problems.

gurkey
post #8 of 39 Old 11-02-2007, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gurkey View Post

I had hum problems (including the sub) on several units from different manufacturers.

They proved almost exclusively to be ground or ground loop problems, which could be resolved by proper grounding the units and / or reversing plugs and cabeling to connected units or replacing cables.

gurkey

Please read the posts. This is not what this thread is about. This problem is exclusive to the 705 and is not a grounding problem which will become evident if you read what is going on.
post #9 of 39 Old 11-02-2007, 09:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gurkey View Post

gurkey

This is a 705 issue and nothing to do with grounding.
post #10 of 39 Old 11-02-2007, 02:46 PM

Quote:

Please report your results, good or bad here.

I tried your test and did not hear any hum from any of the speakers. I have a 705 with KEF 3005 speakers.
post #11 of 39 Old 11-02-2007, 10:36 PM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boogie7910 View Post

Yes, it was only in my sub. I've heard that the Hum appears in peoples speakers instead, if they don't have a Sub connected.

I played with everything. Crossover settings didn't have any effect on the Hum. When switched to Pure Audio mode the Hum went away, and in Direct mode it was greatly reduced.

Try testing your HDMI cables. When it's Humming again, take out your HDMI cables 1 by one and see if the Hum lessens or goes away. I noticed that when I took out all my HDMI cables the Hum was greatly reduced to almost nothing, but as soon as I plugged the first one back in it came back, then the second HDMI cable it got worse, and the third HDMI cable it was really loud.

Test this and post your results.

I'm using 4 Athena Bookshelf speakers for my Front L/R and Surrounds. An Athena C1 for my Center, and a SVS PB10 Sub. The crossover settings I use is 80Hz on all my speakers, and 120Hz on the LFE.

I remember reading something that a member posted. They said they wrote an email to Onkyo and they sort of admitted to the problem.

I wouldn't recommend getting another 705. Someone else did that and the Hum was still there.

I have the same speaker set and Hum with my Onkyo 705.

If I turn off the Audyssey EQ it gets softer the humming, but its still present.
post #12 of 39 Old 11-09-2007, 07:07 AM - Thread Starter

For those of you that do NOT have the hum issue,
what firmware version(s) do you have?

To find out do the following:
(taken from Woot's FAQ...)
Quote:

How do I know which firmware I have?
1) Turn on Receiver
2) Press the "Display" and "Standby" button to get the DSP version
3) While still pressing the "Display" button, Press the "Standby" button at least twice.
4) Let go of the "Display" button
5) Press the + and - keys to cycle through all the firmware pages

post #13 of 39 Old 11-09-2007, 07:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 13
There might be a problem with the receiver, but everytime ive had wierdness its been grounding issues with multiple amps (usually receiver and a subwoofer, also with a buttkicker amp)

Plug them all into a power strip and break the grounding pin off or call an electrician to clean up the grounding and wiring. Cable boxes have grounding issues too, but using a digital format l ike hdmi help out alot for with the comcast box.

Checkout the onkyo threads and firmware revs, people have found its got a humming flaw at a certain firmware.

Good luck, grounding issues drive me batty with 3 amps and a crappy comcast ground wire.

REW...most expensive freeware ever...

post #14 of 39 Old 11-09-2007, 09:17 AM

Quote:

I've scanned through all of the Onkyo & Integra "official" threads and off-shoots and I really think this warrants a separate topic of discussion.
I have an Onkyo TX-SR705 and never noticed any hum issues until I knew what to look for but I don't know what should be expected. After reading so many complaints I started looking at my own receiver more closely and have found that I have a very noticeable hum coming from all of my speakers when BOTH of the following two conditions are met...
1.) The volume is set to anything above -15db. The hum at reference level (0db) is VERY noticeable and annoying.
2.) ANY DSP mode is engaged. The receiver output is (nearly) completely silent while in "Direct" and "Pure Audio" modes.

Although we really never listen to a movie or music at reference level it is my understanding that every "THX Certified" receiver should meet certain quality standards while playing at this volume. Since (I believe) mine falls short I was wondering if maybe my expectations are too high, if I have a problem with my unit, or if this is a common trait among some or all of the new Onkyo lineup? I have written Onkyo AND THX on this and have yet to hear back.
I do not believe my issue is related in any way to video noise or other outside electronic inference because the hum exists even when ALL of my components are disconnected from the receiver. If you have a new Onkyo or Integra receiver (and a few minutes) please take the time to try this and report your results...

1) Turn off all of your components EXCEPT your receiver.
2) Switch to any input (other than the radio or phono sources).
3) Select any DSP mode (DD, DTS, etc...)
4) Turn the volume up to 0db.
5) Listen for speaker hum
6) Switch to "Pure Audio" or "Direct"
7) Listen for hum again

The steps make it sound like a chore but it should only take less than a minute. Please report your results, good or bad here. In my case there is a SUBSTANTIAL loss of hum once the receiver is no longer processing the signal (Direct and Pure Audio modes).
I would also be very interested to hear from the Integra owners out there, see if that extra money made a difference.
Thanks!

*UPDATE: 11/09/07*
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Since my initial post I have done some more testing, here is what I found...

First, all tests below were performed starting at a 0db volume and without ANY components connected, I even unplugged my AM/FM antennas. The ONLY things connected to my receiver were 5 speakers (4 towers, 1 center).
Here is what I found...
At first the problem *seemed* like it may be related to EQ settings but I doubt the EQ itself is the issue. It may just be that the amplification of certain frequencies exaggerates things? Read on, I'll explain.

Here are the tests I performed and my results...
1st: EQ tests
With Audyssey engaged the issue is MUCH more pronounced. When I turned off the EQ entirely the hum was not completely gone but it was not noticeable unless you were close to a speaker and really listening for it (good enough for me to say "no hum" but an audiophile would disagree). When I started playing with the EQ manually I found that if I bumped up the level past 0db on the lower bands the hum began to come back, if I bumped up the higher bands the hum was still there but the tone changes to almost a soft buzz. This was consistent no matter what input source or DSP mode was selected (this does not apply to "Pure Audio" and "Direct", I'll get to those later). When I disabled the EQ again I tried changing only the bass/treble tone controls, similar results (increasing the bass raised the hum, increasing treble raised the buzz) the only thing different while testing the tone controls was that the hum disappeared under this scenario with THX engaged. THX seems to make no difference if the manual EQ or the Audyssey EQ is engaged.

2nd: Volume tests
I then reset the tone controls to 0 again and began playing with volume. With the EQ off and the master volume set to 0db I was back to (almost) no hum. I then began turning up the volume until the hum began to get very noticeable again, around the +10 level (with the EQ still off). I turned it back down to 0db and tried raising the InteliVolume, same results as the master volume (as would be expected). Then I reset the Intelivolume and tried the volume on each speaker independently, same results per speaker.

3rd: Crossover tests
It's important to note that during all of the above mentioned tests I had no sub-woofer connected and my speakers were all set to "Full Band". I reset the volume again (my EQ was still off at this point) and the hum disappeared again. I then turned the volume up to +15 so that hum was nice and annoying and I switched my speakers from "Full Band" to 80Hz, the hum was slightly reduced and it changed to a softer buzz type of sound (just like increasing the higher bands on the EQ).

4th: Pure Audio (and Direct) mode
I then switched to Pure Audio mode and repeated all of the above tests. At no time was there EVER any significant hum to speak of. Turning the volume up past +10 produced a VERY slight sound but that was only audible within inches of the speaker, at a normal listening position the system always remained completely silent. The same can be said for Direct mode.

My conclusions:
It would seem the 705 may have a flaw related in some way to the DSP processing but it DOES seem to operate (barely) as per the THX reference level spec when all EQ and Volume configurations are at or below 0db, there is no significant hum/buzz until SOMETHING is raised past the 0db mark (any volume or EQ setting). The problem is that in order to maintain this quality the 0db mark must be used as an across the board MAXIMUM, in other words if you would like to raise a given frequency band to the highest setting it should remain at 0db and all other bands should either be lowered OR the "InteliVolume" should be lowered to compensate for any setting raised above 0db. My only question is does Onkyo agree and consider a certain degree of speaker hum normal in this case? I have asked and am still waiting on an answer.

I have read that some users have returned their 705 and upgraded to the 805 to resolve their hum "issue". I'm wondering if this really solves anything or if the increase in output power simply makes most people a little less-inclined to push the power limits because raising the volume to a point that would introduce hum raises the listening level to an uncomfortable volume? Just a guess?

I've got until Monday to return my 705. I was thinking of getting the 805 but noticed it's about 4" deeper, it won't fit in my rack.
I've also been thinking about trying to track down an Integra DTR-6.8 but haven't been able to so far. Had a slight glimmer of hope when I came across the Onkyo 705P model but it looks like it's just a standard 705 with a rack mountable option. :/

Do not even hesitate about upgrading to an 805. The hum problem went away completely for me at any volume level. Also if you have an open back rack don't worry about the extra 4" out the back. In my case the feet on the bottom are close enough together to still rest on the shelf. The back of the unit will just protrudes out the back a few inches which will also help with cooling the unit since the hottest part is now out in the open.
post #15 of 39 Old 11-09-2007, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twylight View Post

There might be a problem with the receiver, but everytime ive had wierdness its been grounding issues with multiple amps (usually receiver and a subwoofer, also with a buttkicker amp)

Plug them all into a power strip and break the grounding pin off or call an electrician to clean up the grounding and wiring. Cable boxes have grounding issues too, but using a digital format l ike hdmi help out alot for with the comcast box.

Checkout the onkyo threads and firmware revs, people have found its got a humming flaw at a certain firmware.

Good luck, grounding issues drive me batty with 3 amps and a crappy comcast ground wire.

Here we go with the ground issue again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #16 of 39 Old 11-09-2007, 11:13 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RICKPTAK View Post

Do not even hesitate about upgrading to an 805. The hum problem went away completely for me at any volume level. Also if you have an open back rack don't worry about the extra 4" out the back. In my case the feet on the bottom are close enough together to still rest on the shelf. The back of the unit will just protrudes out the back a few inches which will also help with cooling the unit since the hottest part is now out in the open.

Would love to be I've got two problems with that.
1st) It is not possible for any piece of equipment to stick out of the back of my rack because there is an 8" wide cresent-shaped hollow metal "spine" that runs directly up the middle. Looks very nice and the spine is divided into two sections, one for running comm cables, the other for power. Very functional, makes everything very clean & neat. Trouble is each glass shelf is only about 19" deep. I could fit the 805 in there but I wouldn't have enough room for plugging in the cables. I'd also be concerned about the weight on the glass, I don't remember what the limits are. Yes I could buy another rack but if I had that kinda cash handy I'd be looking at the 905.
2nd) The bigger problem...my wife. There is just no way I can justify spending any more money on a receiver. Her solution to the hum issue- "don't turn it up that loud". Selling her on the 705 wasn't too tough because it's got some future-proof features but the 805 is honestly a little more than we really need. I also need to pick my battles carefully...I've got my eye on a new plasma that I haven't mentioned to her yet.
post #17 of 39 Old 11-11-2007, 10:22 AM
Advanced Member

I found I had the "Sub Hum" by pure accident. I was listening to some music through my new Panasonic DMP-BD30K and decided to turn off the TV (Sharp LC-52D64U) to see what would happen when I broke the HDMI chain. Well it caused the CD to stop playing and I heard the hum.

Here's what I have in my setup...

Comcast Motorola DCH-3416 DVR connected to the 705 via HDMI ony (connected to the CBL/SAT input)
Panasonic DMP-BD30K Blu-Ray connected to the 705 via HDMI ony (connected to the DVD input)
Toshiba HD-A2 HD-DVD connected to the 705 via HDMI ony (connected to the AUX input)

Onkyo TX-SR705 connected to the Sharp LC-52D64U via HDMI and Toslink Optical from the Sharp LC-52D64U to the Onkyo TX-SR705 (OPT1 configured to VCR/DVR) to send sound out when using the TV tuner which is connected to Comcast cable directly from the wall.

I have since done some testing and found I have zero hum when the Onkyo TX-SR705 is on and the other components are off except the VCR/DVR input when the Sharp is off there is still a hum.

So...

705 on DVD input, Panny BD30 off, Sharp off > no hum
705 on CBL/SAT input, Cable Box off, Sharp off > no hum
705 on AUX input, Toshiba HD-A2 off, Sharp off > no hum
705 on VCR/DVR input, Sharp off, > hum

all other inputs, there seems to be no hum and the hum is only noticeable at 3/4 volume or higher and not during normal viewing or listening.

This is the only testing I've done so far and took all of about 15 minutes. I'm going to give Onkyo a call on Monday and see what they have to say. I'm outside my 30 day return window so that's not an option.

I'll be sure to post back if I find out anything...

*UPDATE* I did a little more testing and found something odd. I played a movie in the Blu-Ray player, stopped the player, removed movie from tray, closed tray, NO HUM @ max volume. I then switched inputs (pressed CBL/SAT on the 705) and immediately back to the DVD input and immediately had the "Sub Hum" again. This is a real head scratcher...
post #18 of 39 Old 11-12-2007, 01:44 PM

I'm considering the 605 or 705 and this hum issue has me worried. Is this something you can hear in the background while something is playing, or only something that occurs when there is no signal being received? If there is hum while I'm trying to do critical listening of music or during a quiet scene of a movie, I'd be really annoyed, but if it only occurs when the receiver isn't doing anything, then it might be more tolerable. I don't often turn on my receiver and listen to nothing.

Thanks,
- Bill
post #19 of 39 Old 11-13-2007, 04:44 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

*UPDATE* I did a little more testing and found something odd. I played a movie in the Blu-Ray player, stopped the player, removed movie from tray, closed tray, NO HUM @ max volume. I then switched inputs (pressed CBL/SAT on the 705) and immediately back to the DVD input and immediately had the "Sub Hum" again. This is a real head scratcher...

I've also finally been able to get rid of the hum on mine....sort of, somehow?!

Saturday night we watched Ratatouille with the kids on DVD and when the movie started I had "the hum" so I thought I'd do some quick playing around (much to my family's annoyance). I paused during the opening credits, cranked it to +10 (LOTS of hum), then I turned off THX Cinema so it was playing in straight DD. Still humming. Switched to Direct, the hum went away (like it always does in Direct mode), then Pure Audio (still no hum), back to DD (and the hum), then I'm not quite sure of my exact button-pushing sequence (I was getting annoyed) but when I stopped playing I ended up back in my original mode, DD with THX Cinema. It was still humming so I gave up. By accident I hit "STOP" on the DVD player, but when I hit "PLAY" again and sat back down it seemed like everything sounded better?! I paused the movie again and sure enough, NO HUM. I cranked it ALL the way up to +18, NO HUM. Just to make sure I checked my settings, DD THX Cinema still engaged, Audyssey still on. I was confused but happy.

After the movie I hit STOP, still no hum. Then switched sources to something else (maybe to VCR but I don't remember for sure) and the hum was back! Tried switching back through all of the different sources and it was back on EVERY one of them again, including DVD!!! So, just for the hell of it I started Ratatouille back up again and as soon as the source signal was detected the hum stopped! I turned off THX so it was just playing in straight DD and still no hum, tried manually switching through all the DSP modes and there was no hum on any of them. Switched sources and the hum was back but when I swiched back to DVD with the movie still playing the hum stopped right away.

The thing is, I've gone down this road before and this NEVER happened. This was the first time I've EVER been hum-free while running a DSP mode. Now it seems to work just fine as soon as any movie is started, it always hums while nothing is playing but the hum always completely goes away as soon as the source signal is detected. I still always have hum on all of my other input sources but DVD's now play perfectly (after they've been started). Needless to say I'm completely baffled. I have no idea what I did but I've *somehow*been able to fix the hum while DVD's are playing. I know how it sounds, it doesn't make any sense.
post #20 of 39 Old 11-13-2007, 08:59 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by billythecrid View Post

I'm considering the 605 or 705 and this hum issue has me worried. Is this something you can hear in the background while something is playing, or only something that occurs when there is no signal being received? If there is hum while I'm trying to do critical listening of music or during a quiet scene of a movie, I'd be really annoyed, but if it only occurs when the receiver isn't doing anything, then it might be more tolerable. I don't often turn on my receiver and listen to nothing.

Thanks,
- Bill

Bill,
For me, the hum (when present) begins to be audible at around the -10db mark, at 0db it becomes distracting during quiet movie scenes. Although like I said earlier, my hum seems to have now stopped after the source is detected. It really all depends on how loud you like your music/movies. Keep in mind, 0db is LOUD, much too loud to have a conversation with someone while listening. If you like your ears and treat them well you'll never notice the hum, if you're a "crank it to 11" kinda guy I wouldn't say the 705 (or 605) is for you simply because you'll always be pushing the upper limits of the power amp.

Also, let me be very clear on one thing...
I've done so much posting and critiquing on this one issue because I LOVE this receiver, it's closer to *perfect* than any receiver I've ever owned and it's by FAR the best deal going right now. I wouldn't let these posts jade you. I am in NO way disappointed with my 705, I'm just a bit of a nutty perfectionist.

I would recommend you pick one up for yourself and try it out. Just make sure you buy from a retailer that has a good exchange/return policy to keep yourself covered. Circuit City's 30-day policy is fantastic.

The bottom line is there seems to be a LOT of contributing factors to this "hum" issue and not everyone seems to have it. You may have no problems at all with your set up.
post #21 of 39 Old 11-13-2007, 09:16 AM
Immaculate Grand Phoobah

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:

Would love to be I've got two problems with that.
1st) It is not possible for any piece of equipment to stick out of the back of my rack because there is an 8" wide cresent-shaped hollow metal "spine" that runs directly up the middle. Looks very nice and the spine is divided into two sections, one for running comm cables, the other for power. Very functional, makes everything very clean & neat. Trouble is each glass shelf is only about 19" deep. I could fit the 805 in there but I wouldn't have enough room for plugging in the cables. I'd also be concerned about the weight on the glass, I don't remember what the limits are. Yes I could buy another rack but if I had that kinda cash handy I'd be looking at the 905.
2nd) The bigger problem...my wife. There is just no way I can justify spending any more money on a receiver. Her solution to the hum issue- "don't turn it up that loud". Selling her on the 705 wasn't too tough because it's got some future-proof features but the 805 is honestly a little more than we really need. I also need to pick my battles carefully...I've got my eye on a new plasma that I haven't mentioned to her yet.

You HAVE to get the 805 (they can be had very cheap if you look only)! Set it on the floor next to your stand (HIGH WAF there... not!) if you have to. Seriously, it will make the audio of your system shine... she'll notice for sure. BTW: I believe your wife has been sending problem solutions to my wife I told mine what WAF meant, and she immediately informed me that I have to return "that ugly, black, square thing under the subwoofer (Subdude)!!!

Are you talking' to me?
post #22 of 39 Old 11-13-2007, 11:24 AM

Thanks for the info damnesiac. I'm confused about one thing. You said that you don't notice the hum unless you are listening at high volumes, but then you said you noticed it at the start of Ratatouille. Were you listening to Ratatouille really loud?

I suspect if the hum was really that bad, there would be more outcry and less praise then what I'm reading about these receivers, so I will definitely keep that in mind.

I went out to shoponkyo.com yesterday and they had the 805 for $599! I almost pulled the trigger, but I had to check with my wife. I went out and checked this morning and it's gone. I'm crushed. I feel like someone just ran over my puppy. I can't believe I didn't buy it. There's no excuse. My guy card should be revoked and I should be forced to suffer with Bose for the rest of my existence. Inexcusable. Now I'm all worked up about it again. UGGHHH!!

They have the 605 for $299 which is also a great deal. I didn't need the 805, but for that price. I would prefer the 705, but I'm cheap and after the two great deals I've seen for the 605 and 805, I'm holding out.
post #23 of 39 Old 11-13-2007, 02:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by billythecrid View Post

Thanks for the info damnesiac. I'm confused about one thing. You said that you don't notice the hum unless you are listening at high volumes, but then you said you noticed it at the start of Ratatouille. Were you listening to Ratatouille really loud?

Sorry for the confusion.

Last Saturday before the hum went away I believe I started the movie at a very low volume (whatever is was last set to, most likely -30db or so) then, once the opening credits started I dialed it up to about -10db or so, loud enough for me to hear it. I then cranked it up to 0db and it was very noticeable, that's when I paused it and started playing around.

AFTER I had somehow fixed the hum (or it fixed itself), we watched most of Ratatouille at around -17db but I was playing with the volume in the beginning and we started off in the 0db through -9db range, pretty loud but it sounded fantastic! Very crisp and clear. I know the sound of the movie wasn't just masking any hum because when I paused I could crank it all the way up to +18 (max power) and my speakers were still silent, this had never been the case before. It's so quiet you wouldn't know it was on.

To my ears the hum (when it happens) begins to be noticeable from a normal listening position (12ft away) starting above -15db, it's loud enough to be annoying at 0db.

I'm thinking about picking up a line conditioner / voltage regulator to see if it makes any difference, if/when I do I'll post the outcome.

And Grubavs, PLEEASE don't tell me about any deals like that on the 805. I've been looking for a price like that ever since someone posted that they got it for $662 at CC last week. Never saw anything close to that myself and now since my 30-days on the 705 ended yesterday I'd REALLY like to close my eyes, cover my ears, and say "LALALALALALALALALALA" if I hear about it again. At this point I'm very happy to put a below-$700 805 on my belief list along with Bigfoot, aliens, ghosts, Nessy, and talking ceiling fans (sorry, long story on that last one).
post #24 of 39 Old 11-13-2007, 05:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 47
My 705 has the hum issue, but I found out last night that if I switched the equilizer to off, the hum went away. Before turning the equilizer to off, I had a degree of hum on all DSP modes and inputs including Pure and Direct audio. I'm not sure why the equilizer would have this effect, but turning it off fixed the problem. Of course, now I can't make any adjustments with the equalizer......
post #25 of 39 Old 11-14-2007, 01:29 PM

I've had the 705 for about 3 months now, and I've got the hum. After reading many of the threads about the hum, I did an experiment today and found a way to make the hum go away, although I haven't solved my problem.

First, my 705 is hooked up to a Samsung LCD, and the only other inputs are an old VCR via S-video and RCA type audio, an upconverting SONY DVD player via HDMI and optical Toslink, a phono turntable, and the Samsung TV sound via Toslink. The hum is noticeable at sound levels of -30, and even with the TV, VCR, and DVD switched off, you can hear the sound on all inputs (even inputs with nothing attached to them), although the VCR input is noticably the worst.

Here's how I can make the hum go away: I detach the cable TV coax cable from wall, and the hum stops. Reattach, and the hum comes back. So, I can make the hum go away, but I can't watch TV!

Now, I have a different Onkyo receiver in a different part of the house (the 503) with video routed through it, and there is no hum issue at all.

Now that I've gotten this far, any suggestions?
post #26 of 39 Old 11-14-2007, 03:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtso View Post

I've had the 705 for about 3 months now, and I've got the hum. After reading many of the threads about the hum, I did an experiment today and found a way to make the hum go away, although I haven't solved my problem.

First, my 705 is hooked up to a Samsung LCD, and the only other inputs are an old VCR via S-video and RCA type audio, an upconverting SONY DVD player via HDMI and optical Toslink, a phono turntable, and the Samsung TV sound via Toslink. The hum is noticeable at sound levels of -30, and even with the TV, VCR, and DVD switched off, you can hear the sound on all inputs (even inputs with nothing attached to them), although the VCR input is noticably the worst.

Here's how I can make the hum go away: I detach the cable TV coax cable from wall, and the hum stops. Reattach, and the hum comes back. So, I can make the hum go away, but I can't watch TV!

Now, I have a different Onkyo receiver in a different part of the house (the 503) with video routed through it, and there is no hum issue at all.

Now that I've gotten this far, any suggestions?

Now that sounds like a ground loop. I know just what your saying because the same thing happend to me when I hooked up a proamp in my system. When you remove the cable wire from the tv the hum stops. What I did was put some teflon tape around the threaded part of the coax plug on the tv so the only part that is getting contact is the middle pin. This will work but what I did in the end was I bought a Monster Cable MP HTS 1000 PowerCenter and it also killed the hum caused by the cable TV coax cable.
post #27 of 39 Old 11-21-2007, 02:36 PM

In case anyone is interested, I did solve my ground loop problem. After doing a little internet research, I purchased, from AVCable.com, a Jensen Isomax VRD-1FF. Works like a charm. I placed it on my CATV line between the wall outlet and the splitter that sends the signal to the TV and to the VCR. I was concerned that it would weaken the digital TV signal, but I get all my channels, including the non-scrambled HD stations on channels 104 and 105 that my TV's QAM tuner picks up. If there is any loss of signal, I can't see it. If there is any hum, I can't hear it. I'm very satisfied with the solution to my problem.
post #28 of 39 Old 12-09-2007, 10:23 PM

I ran the test and there was *very* quiet hum at 0db (not even as loud as my wd-52525 tv's fans) that went away when I switched the 705 to Pure Audio mode.
post #29 of 39 Old 12-27-2007, 06:04 PM

First, thanks to all for contributing to the Onkyo TX-SR705 threads. I've had my TX-SR705 since 9/2007 and was searching the forum for other issues not "hum-related" (I will go into my issues in a different post) when I came across the "hum-related" threads. To confirm (or unconfirm) the TX-SR705's hum issue, I ran the hum tests per damnesiac's post on 11/01/2007 (plus added a few extra steps of my own) and here are the results:

My System (for hum test):
Onkyo TX-SR705
Comcast/Scientific Atlanta Explorer 8300HD DVR - HDMI1
Oppo DV-981HD - HDMI2
XBOX 360 Elite - HDMI3
* Audyssey MultEQ XT
* All are connected to the TX-SR705 via $30.00 HDMI cables bought on the Internet and not anything M$$$$$$ C$$$$
* High-quality RG-6 coax cables bought at Fry's Electronics
* Acoustic Research AR-805TC Surge Suppressor
* Room size 16.5' x 22'

Firmware:
Main1.01/07618A
DSPS8051:07601A
DSPS8052:07518A
DSPS8053:07518A
HDMI1.00/07517A
VD:3.58/07609A

Speakers:
Front: Infinity BETA 50 (35-20,000 Hz ±3dB)
Center: Infinity BETA C360 (45-20,000 Hz ±3dB)
Surround: Mirage NANOSAT (110-20,000 Hz ±3dB), which replaced the Infinity BETA 20 (fanstastic speakers but they were too large to look "nice" in the living room! practically brand new; not used currently)
B. Surround: NONE
Sub: Infinity PS212 (25Hz - 150Hz)

First, I turned on the receiver and listened to music for about an hour. Then, I ran the hum test per damnesiac's post on 11/01/2007 with all components OFF, then disconnected. For each test, I started with -15db, incrementing by 1, up to +15db. I could not detect hum at any DSP and level! Please note that at +12db up to +15db, I could hear a very faint hiss with my ears extremely close to the speakers but I would expect any receiver with the volume on MAX with no source would make any speaker "hiss".

Next, I repeated with the Scientific Atlanta Explorer 8300HD DVR (cycling through all the HD channels) and then the Oppo DV-981HD (playing ID4). As before, I started with -15db, incrementing by 1, up to +3db (at which point I had cracks on the walls and temporary hearing loss. . . ..thanks guys!). Again, I could not detect hum at any DSP and level, including when the DVD was paused! Super fanstastic!!

Finally, I repeated with the XBOX 360. This is the ONLY device that introduced hum into the system -- which was barely noticeable at -14db to -11db unless you put your ears to the speakers (and this is pretty loud! I normally play the XBOX around -24db to -16db); very noticeable at any listening position between -10db to 0db; and extremely noticeable at +1db to +15db. Please note that from -10db to +15db, the XBOX is sitting at the DASHBOARD (the XBOX's menu/navigation GUI); otherwise, the extremely loud volume at those audio levels will definitely drown out any hum for which you're trying to listen.

Since I just got through with all the testing tonight, I have not attempted to fix the hum issue when the XBOX is the source. When I get the chance, I will probably try another HDMI cable between the XBOX and the TX-SR705 since that is the only link between the two. . . ..maybe one of those M$$$$$$ C$$$$!

Other than the XBOX, my system is pretty much "hum-free". Once I figured out the XBOX-associated hum, I will post my solution here. In the meantime, if anyone has this same problem and has corrected his/her problem, please share it. Thanks!!
post #30 of 39 Old 03-22-2008, 10:04 AM

I don't know if anyone's been posting/reading this thread lately but I just purchased a 705 last week and hadn't noticed and humming, but since reading the main thread and this one I thought I would run through the tests. My setup is below.

TV - Sony SXRD KDS-50A2000
Receiver - ONKYO 705 (duh)
HDDVD - Toshiba HD-A2
DVD - ONKYO DV-SP404
Sat - DirecTv HR-20
Game - Nintendo Wii

I noticed something interesting. When I replaced my old receiver I also upgraded the HDDVD, DVD, and Directv receiver to HDMI cables and used 1-3 HDMI inputs on the 705 with the out going directly to the Sony TV. When I ran the hum test all HDMI inputs had no hum or buzzing, completely silent all the way up to max volume. But the game input with the Wii had a noticable hum at -10dB. It lessened on pure audio or direct, but didn't completely go away. I checked the other inputs and all analog inputs had hum on them even thought nothing is attached. I never noticed the hum until now since the HDMI inputs have no noticable noise. Does anyone else have this same issue? I

don't think this is a proper work around since this defeats the purpose of having the majority of the inputs. I'm worried now that if I hooked up my turntable it would also have a hum problem. I haven't contacting Onkyo yet and I about 2 days away from my last return date. However, I don't think that returning it is an option. I've been loyal to Onkyo for about 15 years. I considered the 805, but it's just too big, size and power use. This is my 3rd Onkyo A/V receiver and the first to have a noticable problem. My old 575 had about 1/4 of the features but always sounded like a champ with no rattles or hums.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page