Simplified REW Setup and Use (USB Mic & HDMI Connection) Including Measurement Techniques and How To Interpret Graphs - Page 875 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4148Likes

post #26221 of 27607 Old 02-05-2019, 01:56 PM
** Man of Leisure **

Mentioned: 374 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11027 Post(s)
Liked: 6571
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddigler View Post
Thanks for the kind words Alan! I had a ton of help from AVS members; it would have never happened without the help. Its my first HT and it certainly isn't perfect but I'm loving it!

I'm actually as excited to start the tweaking process as I was to build the thing haha

I know I should probably read the entire tutorial prior to posting graphs haha. I'm going to be messing with it tonight. Is it useless to start measuring before I have finished the tutorial? I'm through the part about how to thoroughly d/l and install REW and associated software. Also how to set the audio devices correctly in Windows.
What tutorial are you referring to?
ddigler likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #26222 of 27607 Old 02-05-2019, 02:05 PM
IAH

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 89
I would at least read thru how to do a proper frequency response measurement, and how to set the graph properly.

You can certainly just use the guide as a guide - lol - as you go along!
ddigler likes this.
post #26223 of 27607 Old 02-05-2019, 02:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 986 Post(s)
Liked: 455
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
What tutorial are you referring to?
Yours silly! (I'm on page 35) - I'm reading your step by step guide!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #26224 of 27607 Old 02-05-2019, 02:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAH View Post
I would at least read thru how to do a proper frequency response measurement, and how to set the graph properly.

You can certainly just use the guide as a guide - lol - as you go along!
haha fair enough. I'll take a couple measurements but will refrain from posting until I finish the guide and make sure they are legit for analysis.
post #26225 of 27607 Old 02-05-2019, 02:40 PM
** Man of Leisure **

Quote:
Yours silly! (I'm on page 35) - I'm reading your step by step guide!
OK, I just have never called it a tutorial. It’s more of a reference guide. You don’t have to complete the entire guide in order to be able to take initial measurements. Some of the later chapters are advanced topics. Focus on the basics first—getting REW set up and running properly, and how to run the initial assessment measurements.
ahblaza likes this.
post #26226 of 27607 Old 02-05-2019, 03:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 991 Post(s)
Liked: 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by seplant View Post
I realize my sub situation is not optimal, but I figured that given my room mode issue, having multiple subs, even if they are different models, is better than having just one. At least they are all ported.
Well, I didn't say "not optimal." I think Geddes says the subs should be different.

Just more work.
post #26227 of 27607 Old 02-05-2019, 04:33 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_mike View Post
If you could provide a link to your MSO project files and MiniDSP 2x4 configuration files I can take a look to see if it has been correctly implemented. Then you can concentrate on aligning the combined single sub channel with the mains, that may simply require adjustment of relative delays. ARC on the MRX line never got my sub alignment correct, so would assume that this is the cause of the crossover dip.

Regards, Mike
I posted my MSO project file and MiniDSP 2x4 config file under my same Google drive folder here. Thanks for looking at this Mike.
post #26228 of 27607 Old 02-06-2019, 12:53 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 56
I am trying to assess the acoustical properties of my (non-AT) projection screen in order to find out if it is worth treating the front of my room. The front wall is a large window that is certainly adding to the overall reverb of the room, but basically all the first reflection points fall within the area that is covered by screen during HT use. The sound behind the screen sounds very much the same as in front of it, so I thought it may make sense.

I placed the mic close to the screen position and did a couple of measurements https://1drv.ms/u/s!AmElDKqgDMaciVdpVYG8k7tejfQg summarized in the pictures below.

First starting with the window reflection (cursor position) without the screen.

Then showing the effect of absorbers on the window

To lastly looking at the effect of the screen (without the absorbers)

My interpretation of these results would be that the screen is basically acting as a reflector of its own and reflections from the surface behind it are invisible. Therefore there is little point in treating that area unless I replace the screen with an AT variant.

Do you agree with that conclusion? Any thing else that may be worth considering or trying?
post #26229 of 27607 Old 02-06-2019, 05:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
OK, I just have never called it a tutorial. It’s more of a reference guide. You don’t have to complete the entire guide in order to be able to take initial measurements. Some of the later chapters are advanced topics. Focus on the basics first—getting REW set up and running properly, and how to run the initial assessment measurements.
haha sorry to mislead Jerry.

OK will do! I got it all installed (x64 version) along with the ASIO4 drivers. Went through all the windows calibration for input/output and all is well that I can tell!

I haven't reached the part of the guide to explain how to take measurements, positioning of mic, etc. Once I get there I start some measurements and post up some graphs for input.

One question: Upon powering up my Surface Pro with REW and re-connecting both UMIK-1 and HDMI, all my windows settings for those two audio devices should be restored automatically correct? (ie +9.9 dB level for UMIK-1, etc). I can easily confirm this which I will but curious how Windows 10 handles this for other users?

Additionally, (maybe the guide touches on this) you want me to keep Audyseey EQ engaged for measurements correct? I ran the automatic, multi mic position calibration and have the Audyseey EQ set to 'Reference'. How to set this for forthcoming measurements?

Last edited by ddigler; 02-06-2019 at 05:51 AM.
post #26230 of 27607 Old 02-06-2019, 07:03 AM
** Man of Leisure **

Quote:
haha sorry to mislead Jerry.

OK will do! I got it all installed (x64 version) along with the ASIO4 drivers. Went through all the windows calibration for input/output and all is well that I can tell!

I haven't reached the part of the guide to explain how to take measurements, positioning of mic, etc. Once I get there I start some measurements and post up some graphs for input.

One question: Upon powering up my Surface Pro with REW and re-connecting both UMIK-1 and HDMI, all my windows settings for those two audio devices should be restored automatically correct? (ie +9.9 dB level for UMIK-1, etc). I can easily confirm this which I will but curious how Windows 10 handles this for other users?

Additionally, (maybe the guide touches on this) you want me to keep Audyseey EQ engaged for measurements correct? I ran the automatic, multi mic position calibration and have the Audyseey EQ set to 'Reference'. How to set this for forthcoming measurements?
The Windows audio settings should not change unless you use another app that accesses the mic. For example, I use the UMIK-1 for Dirac Live calibrations, and its software sets the mic output to max (+24). To be safe, I would include a quick check of the Windows audio settings as part of your start-up routine until you feel comfortable that the settings are not being changed.

And yes, for you first evaluation, leave Audyssey turned on. You want to measure what you are hearing under normal listening circumstances. There will be other measurements for which Audyssey should be turned off, for example when adjusting the positions of speakers and subs.
ddigler likes this.
post #26231 of 27607 Old 02-06-2019, 07:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The Windows audio settings should not change unless you use another app that accesses the mic. For example, I use the UMIK-1 for Dirac Live calibrations, and its software sets the mic output to max (+24). To be safe, I would include a quick check of the Windows audio settings as part of your start-up routine until you feel comfortable that the settings are not being changed.

And yes, for you first evaluation, leave Audyssey turned on. You want to measure what you are hearing under normal listening circumstances. There will be other measurements for which Audyssey should be turned off, for example when adjusting the positions of speakers and subs.
helpful thanks Jerry.
post #26232 of 27607 Old 02-06-2019, 08:50 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Quoted: 6970 Post(s)
Liked: 5951
Quote:
Originally Posted by anothermib View Post
Therefore there is little point in treating that area unless I replace the screen with an AT variant.
You've been asking about the effects of absorption behind your non-AT screen, yet that is the one configuration you haven't measured. Why?
ahblaza likes this.

Sanjay
post #26233 of 27607 Old 02-06-2019, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani View Post
You've been asking about the effects of absorption behind your non-AT screen, yet that is the one configuration you haven't measured. Why?

This variant is included in the measurement data (as well as a measurement behind the screen). However the pictures are a bit hard to compare. Here a slightly magnified version, cursor ar the original reflection.

post #26234 of 27607 Old 02-06-2019, 09:53 AM

Quote:
This variant is included in the measurement data (as well as a measurement behind the screen). However the pictures are a bit hard to compare. Here a slightly magnified version, cursor ar the original reflection.
You posted that you "placed the mic close to the screen position and did a couple of measurements". Did you take any measurements from your main listening position?

Sanjay
post #26235 of 27607 Old 02-06-2019, 10:05 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by seplant View Post
I posted my MSO project file and MiniDSP 2x4 config file under my same Google drive folder here. Thanks for looking at this Mike.
I need to see the .msop MSO Project file - can you add that to the Google Drive?

Regards, Mike.

System: Pioneer KRP-500M, Lumagen Mini3D, Denon AVR-4520 (custom modified to allow use of >>>), miniDSP DDRC88BM, Oppo 103EU, Sky+HD DRX895, Humax HDR-FOX-T2 (x2), Apple ATV3
Bowers & Wilkins CM8 (left & right) - CMC2 (centre) - Kef HTS3001SE Surrounds, miniDSP 2x4HD, SVS SB13 Ultra, SVS SB2000 (x2) <<< Perfectly blended by MSO
post #26236 of 27607 Old 02-06-2019, 11:12 AM

Quote:
You posted that you "placed the mic close to the screen position and did a couple of measurements". Did you take any measurements from your main listening position?

Yes, this data is included in http://this https://1drv.ms/u/s!AmEl...pEcVcVdLk9zbDK file.
post #26237 of 27607 Old 02-06-2019, 11:15 AM

Quote:

Something went wrong with the link. I hope this works:

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AmElDKqgDMaciVpEcVcVdLk9zbDK
post #26238 of 27607 Old 02-06-2019, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Yes, this data is included in this https://1drv.ms/u/s!AmElDKqgDMaciVpEcVcVdLk9zbDK file.
I don't have REW on my work computer, so I'll have to take a look later when I'm home.

Sanjay
post #26239 of 27607 Old 02-06-2019, 01:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 908 Post(s)
Liked: 301
So I just bought the UMIK-1 USB mic, and it’s arriving tomorrow. Does anyone have experience with using this mic on a MacBook Pro 2010? MacOS High Sierra is installed on it. Do I need to install 3rd party software besides REW? Or is it plug and play? My intention is to connect my MacBook Pro on the Marantz 7011 AVR and measure the whole 5.2 system. Is that possible? I can’t seem to find a tutorial for that. Someone could help me out?

Klipsch Reference Premiere: 4 x RP-280's, 1 x RP 450C and dual R-115W's
Marantz 7011 AVR
LG OLED B6
Apple TV 4K
PlayStation Pro
post #26240 of 27607 Old 02-06-2019, 02:13 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_mike View Post
I need to see the .msop MSO Project file - can you add that to the Google Drive?

Regards, Mike.
My .msop file has been posted to that same Google drive folder. Thank you.

Last edited by seplant; 02-07-2019 at 03:45 AM.
post #26241 of 27607 Old 02-06-2019, 02:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Liked: 131
I'm just starting out in using rew . I read the rew reference guide in @AustinJerry signature. when I installed aiso4all installed it then opened rew and went into preferences changed from java to aiso and when tried change my output device (to select speaker to run the sweep on) it doesmt list the hdmi1-8 all s. I have my laptop hooked to front hdmi input on my onkyo receiver. The dropdown menu to pick output channel doesmt have all my speakers listed all says is audio output 1 or audio output 2 Any ideas what doing wrong..?
post #26242 of 27607 Old 02-06-2019, 03:42 PM
** Man of Leisure **

Quote:
Originally Posted by golden78 View Post
I'm just starting out in using rew . I read the rew reference guide in @AustinJerry signature. when I installed aiso4all installed it then opened rew and went into preferences changed from java to aiso and when tried change my output device (to select speaker to run the sweep on) it doesmt list the hdmi1-8 all s. I have my laptop hooked to front hdmi input on my onkyo receiver. The dropdown menu to pick output channel doesmt have all my speakers listed all says is audio output 1 or audio output 2 Any ideas what doing wrong..?
There is an ASIO troubleshooting section in the guide. Try following its recommendations.
post #26243 of 27607 Old 02-06-2019, 03:44 PM
** Man of Leisure **

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMWhizzle View Post
So I just bought the UMIK-1 USB mic, and it’s arriving tomorrow. Does anyone have experience with using this mic on a MacBook Pro 2010? MacOS High Sierra is installed on it. Do I need to install 3rd party software besides REW? Or is it plug and play? My intention is to connect my MacBook Pro on the Marantz 7011 AVR and measure the whole 5.2 system. Is that possible? I can’t seem to find a tutorial for that. Someone could help me out?
While I am not a Mac user, I have included several links in the guide to posts containing tips for Mac users. I am pretty sure the Mac will work just fine without 3rd-party software. Perhaps some Mac users will add their comments.
post #26244 of 27607 Old 02-06-2019, 04:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
There is an ASIO troubleshooting section in the guide. Try following its recommendations.
i did. at first it wasn't configured properly in windows settings but I fixed it yet when I go to menu it still wont let me pick anything besides audio output 1 or 2
post #26245 of 27607 Old 02-06-2019, 04:31 PM
** Man of Leisure **

Quote:
i did. at first it wasn't configured properly in windows settings but I fixed it yet when I go to menu it still wont let me pick anything besides audio output 1 or 2
While you don’t specifically mention it, I assume that in Windows audio, it shows your AVR connected and supporting a full 7.1 configuration. If that is the case, I don’t know what to recommend, other than keep trying. If you have no success, you can fall back to using the Java drivers, although this limits you to 2-channel measurements.
post #26246 of 27607 Old 02-06-2019, 04:35 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
I disabled the internal speakers on my laptop, re-opened REW, clicked the reload button, opened the ASIO control panel, clicked play on the intel display audio (which is my hdmi output) and it became active. This got me from where you are to having all channels available for output.
WLGeter likes this.
post #26247 of 27607 Old 02-06-2019, 05:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctsv510 View Post
Quote:
I disabled the internal speakers on my laptop, re-opened REW, clicked the reload button, opened the ASIO control panel, clicked play on the intel display audio (which is my hdmi output) and it became active. This got me from where you are to having all channels available for output.
Thanks ill try that. The only thing can think of is that for some reason it's showing 1 channel instead of 2 for my mic in settings in windows
post #26248 of 27607 Old 02-06-2019, 09:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctsv510 View Post
Quote:
Got it!&#x1f44d; thanks that did the trick . My hdmi was not showing up in ASIO control panel settings until I disabled internal speaker. Now I got it working so I can see what a mess my room is and how much more work i have to do.. ugh.
WLGeter and ddigler like this.
post #26249 of 27607 Old 02-06-2019, 10:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 908 Post(s)
Liked: 301
Quote:
While I am not a Mac user, I have included several links in the guide to posts containing tips for Mac users. I am pretty sure the Mac will work just fine without 3rd-party software. Perhaps some Mac users will add their comments.

Hi Austin, thank you for this information, but it’s not clear to me yet. In your tutorial on page 4 there is a link for MacBook Pro users which results in this website:

Other links on this matter shows articles with information back from 2013 and 2015 which are outdated, those articles are referring to a 3rd party solution called Soundflower:

Also the above is based on Mac OSX which is now macOS. I can’t find more recent tutorials (video or articles) yet.

Klipsch Reference Premiere: 4 x RP-280's, 1 x RP 450C and dual R-115W's
Marantz 7011 AVR
LG OLED B6
Apple TV 4K
PlayStation Pro
post #26250 of 27607 Old 02-07-2019, 05:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:

I wasted a whole lot of time following these tips and installing third party software to allow me to select individual channels. None of it worked out of the box. I finally removed all the software and it worked fine just using the built-in devices.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat

Tags
Dayton , Dayton Audio , Room Equilizer Wizard Rew

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page