Simplified REW Setup and Use (USB Mic & HDMI Connection) Including Measurement Techniques and How To Interpret Graphs - Page 882 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4792Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #26431 of 29492 Old 02-18-2019, 04:16 PM
** Man of Leisure **
 
AustinJerry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 22,623
Mentioned: 487 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12680 Post(s)
Liked: 7595
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMWhizzle View Post
Guys, excuse me for being a noob at the REW ins and outs. This is my first experience with it and I don’t want to cause any confusion. Still in a learning curve. @Skinfax1 , I’ve sent you the MDAT file also.
I am just curious how you generated the RT60 graphs that look so different from the one I posted. Any idea?
AustinJerry is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #26432 of 29492 Old 02-18-2019, 04:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
IMWhizzle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 1,458
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1123 Post(s)
Liked: 371
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
I am just curious how you generated the RT60 graphs that look so different from the one I posted. Any idea?


I dove in the overlay screen searching for the keyword RT60, saw it I think next to the impuls screen or in it (please excuse me, I’m new to this), after that I checked everything off at the bottom window (including the graphs or measurements without Audyssey) except for RT60.

Klipsch Reference Premiere: 4 x RP-280's, 1 x RP 450C, 4x RP-500SA’s and dual R-115W's
Marantz 7011 AVR
LG OLED C9 65 inch
Apple TV 4K
PlayStation Pro
IMWhizzle is online now  
post #26433 of 29492 Old 02-18-2019, 04:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
IMWhizzle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 1,458
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1123 Post(s)
Liked: 371
Also I played with the eq settings in the app, made screenshots in that same session but didn’t save it just to make sure I was not hijacking the session.

Klipsch Reference Premiere: 4 x RP-280's, 1 x RP 450C, 4x RP-500SA’s and dual R-115W's
Marantz 7011 AVR
LG OLED C9 65 inch
Apple TV 4K
PlayStation Pro
IMWhizzle is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #26434 of 29492 Old 02-18-2019, 05:58 PM
** Man of Leisure **
 
AustinJerry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 22,623
Mentioned: 487 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12680 Post(s)
Liked: 7595
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMWhizzle View Post
I dove in the overlay screen searching for the keyword RT60, saw it I think next to the impuls screen or in it (please excuse me, I’m new to this), after that I checked everything off at the bottom window (including the graphs or measurements without Audyssey) except for RT60.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMWhizzle View Post
Also I played with the eq settings in the app, made screenshots in that same session but didn’t save it just to make sure I was not hijacking the session.
Sorry, I didn’t understand a word you said.
ahblaza likes this.
AustinJerry is online now  
post #26435 of 29492 Old 02-18-2019, 10:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
IMWhizzle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 1,458
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1123 Post(s)
Liked: 371
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
Sorry, I didn’t understand a word you said.


That’s understandable. Simply put, since I’m a first time REW user, I can’t replicate the steps again.

Klipsch Reference Premiere: 4 x RP-280's, 1 x RP 450C, 4x RP-500SA’s and dual R-115W's
Marantz 7011 AVR
LG OLED C9 65 inch
Apple TV 4K
PlayStation Pro
IMWhizzle is online now  
post #26436 of 29492 Old 02-19-2019, 02:44 AM
 
Skinfax1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 361
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddigler View Post
I thought previously you hated My one graph haha. To be fair, I've learned so much about mic placement and phase was all screwed up previously as well So that absolutely could have changed things
That's possible. Do you know which measurement that was? I can't find it. IIRC you posted a pic of your subs, after I had asked a question?

Quote:
I actually have 6 Large ported subwoofer Although their placement Is not ideal as they are Set up in 2 stacks all Behind the screen Up front , one to the right of the center channel and one to the left. The models show 115 decibels at 15hz , I would like to know how to check this at some point Without either being divorced Or blowing the doors off My theater.
Insane.
Aren't you worried about your ears?


Quote:
One particular concern right now is how ugly the center looks between 100 and 200hz. I'd like to address this.
Yes, your center seems to be by far the weakest spot. I guess it sounds like sh.t compared to the room and what your system seems capable of. IMO in your case the center weakness offers an even bigger leverage than usual.

Last edited by Skinfax1; 02-19-2019 at 02:48 AM.
Skinfax1 is offline  
post #26437 of 29492 Old 02-19-2019, 03:47 AM
 
Skinfax1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 361
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMWhizzle View Post
That’s understandable. Simply put, since I’m a first time REW user, I can’t replicate the steps again.
I guess in the RT60 settings "bars" and 1/3rd octave resolution was deactivated.
Skinfax1 is offline  
post #26438 of 29492 Old 02-19-2019, 05:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ddigler's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 2,064
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1165 Post(s)
Liked: 517
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinfax1 View Post
That's possible. Do you know which measurement that was? I can't find it. IIRC you posted a pic of your subs, after I had asked a question?
i don't Skin no worries I've got some good measurements now so I'll move forward with what I've got.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinfax1 View Post
Insane.
Aren't you worried about your ears?
way overkill agree I don't listen at those levels obviously. They were great fun to build though...

I think having 6, even though they are all upfront, helps immensely to improve the room response correct? Guess I would have to measure several different seats to confirm that. Thats something I curious about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinfax1 View Post
Yes, your center seems to be by far the weakest spot. I guess it sounds like sh.t compared to the room and what your system seems capable of. IMO in your case the center weakness offers an even bigger leverage than usual.
yea, I can't really tell it sounds bad haha. I can only see it on the graphs although I would think I would subtly notice it if I could improve it. It didn't look that bad until I increased the xo to 120. If you look at the original graph (aud xo of 40 or 60) it looks much better. Raising the crossover immensely improves the LR but hurts my C between 100 and 200 hz.

I'm going to take @AustinJerry advice, decrease xo to 100. From my experience messing with it, this will hurt the LR but may help the C. Beyond that all I can do is get into the sub distance tweak. I'll work those two options and report back
ddigler is offline  
post #26439 of 29492 Old 02-19-2019, 06:43 AM
** Man of Leisure **
 
AustinJerry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 22,623
Mentioned: 487 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12680 Post(s)
Liked: 7595
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinfax1 View Post
I guess in the RT60 settings "bars" and 1/3rd octave resolution was deactivated.
Since @IMWhizzle has provided his MDAT file, and assuming you have had a chance to look at it, have you altered your original harsh assessment of his audio?
ahblaza and ddigler like this.
AustinJerry is online now  
post #26440 of 29492 Old 02-19-2019, 06:45 AM
** Man of Leisure **
 
AustinJerry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 22,623
Mentioned: 487 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12680 Post(s)
Liked: 7595
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMWhizzle View Post
That’s understandable. Simply put, since I’m a first time REW user, I can’t replicate the steps again.
I understand. No shame in that. Soon, you will be an expert!
ddigler and IAH like this.
AustinJerry is online now  
post #26441 of 29492 Old 02-19-2019, 07:24 AM
** Man of Leisure **
 
AustinJerry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 22,623
Mentioned: 487 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12680 Post(s)
Liked: 7595
Based on a recommendation from JohnM, I have adjusted a setting in the REW guide, as shown in the attached screenshot. Setting "Truncate IR" to a 1.7s setting will result in lower file sizes and faster load times. Higher settings are unnecessary for our typical listening rooms.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	REW setting.PNG
Views:	37
Size:	40.4 KB
ID:	2528012  
Alan P, galonzo, ddigler and 1 others like this.
AustinJerry is online now  
post #26442 of 29492 Old 02-19-2019, 07:33 AM
 
Skinfax1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 361
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
Since @IMWhizzle has provided his MDAT file, and assuming you have had a chance to look at it, have you altered your original harsh assessment of his audio?
A bit. Especially the RT60 is less wobbly than it looked. I had sent @IMWhizzle a PM.
ddigler likes this.
Skinfax1 is offline  
post #26443 of 29492 Old 02-19-2019, 09:32 AM
Advanced Member
 
Iron Maiden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: NorCal
Posts: 970
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 575 Post(s)
Liked: 219
Quick question. I have two 21's running off a single plate amp with no dsp and I do not use the Audyssey in my receiver. Have tried it and never like the results. I am about to replace the plate amp and install a new amp and mini dsp balanced 2x4. As advised by you guys, will run it off a single sub out of the receiver and let the 2x4 output to the separate amp channels. Then tune them together as 1.
My question, should I run REW 1st with my current setup? If for anything, just to be able to compare the results of this upgrade? Or just install the amp and dsp and test it before any tuning?


I think I am ready as far as the mic and REW is concerned. I can open up REW, hook up my mic and it works. Just opened the spl meter to see. I know when I 1st bought it, I downloaded the 90* mic file, but do not remember if I loaded it or not. Not sure where to check in REW. Is this important? Is this so the mic can sit pointed to the ceiling, or towards the front of the room? As far as 1st tests, what type should I run. Just hoping to play with it a bit as I learn. Yes, I have read the tutorial but I learn and retain by doing, not just reading. My only hope is to be doing the procedures as I am reading the tutorial so I can tie in what I am reading. Just the way my brain works unfortunately.

60" Panasonic Plasma ~ BenQ HT1075 / 92" Screen~Onkyo TX-NR3008(Pre/Pro)
Earthquake Cinenova Grande Amplifier ~ Oppo BDP-103 ~ Xbox One & PS4
Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista Tube DAC ~ Monster Cable Signature Series HTPS7000
Energy Veritas V2.3i (mains)~Veritas V2.4i (Front Wides)~Veritas V2.2i (center)
Energy Veritas V2.1 & CAT Tiburons(Surr)~Subs: 2 FTW-21's~Fp10000q clone/2x4dsp
Iron Maiden is offline  
post #26444 of 29492 Old 02-19-2019, 10:37 AM
** Man of Leisure **
 
AustinJerry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 22,623
Mentioned: 487 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12680 Post(s)
Liked: 7595
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
Quick question. I have two 21's running off a single plate amp with no dsp and I do not use the Audyssey in my receiver. Have tried it and never like the results. I am about to replace the plate amp and install a new amp and mini dsp balanced 2x4. As advised by you guys, will run it off a single sub out of the receiver and let the 2x4 output to the separate amp channels. Then tune them together as 1.
My question, should I run REW 1st with my current setup? If for anything, just to be able to compare the results of this upgrade? Or just install the amp and dsp and test it before any tuning?


I think I am ready as far as the mic and REW is concerned. I can open up REW, hook up my mic and it works. Just opened the spl meter to see. I know when I 1st bought it, I downloaded the 90* mic file, but do not remember if I loaded it or not. Not sure where to check in REW. Is this important? Is this so the mic can sit pointed to the ceiling, or towards the front of the room? As far as 1st tests, what type should I run. Just hoping to play with it a bit as I learn. Yes, I have read the tutorial but I learn and retain by doing, not just reading. My only hope is to be doing the procedures as I am reading the tutorial so I can tie in what I am reading. Just the way my brain works unfortunately.
Before you change anything, it would be good to have a "before" measurement as a reference point. I would measure subs only, and subs+center, 15-300Hz.

The microphone calibration file is configured under REW Preferences, in the "Mic/Meter" tab. The correct calibration file would be the 90-degree file. If you can't find the calibration file, you can download a copy on the web. Page 53 of the REW guide provides direction on where to find and download a calibration file. When taking measurements, place the mic in the center of the MLP, with the mic tip at exactly ear height and pointed towards the ceiling.

Then follow the 2x4 guide in my sig to set up your two subs.
galonzo, ahblaza, ddigler and 1 others like this.
AustinJerry is online now  
post #26445 of 29492 Old 02-19-2019, 11:30 AM
Advanced Member
 
javan robinson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Akron, Ohio
Posts: 874
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked: 420
Hey guys - whats the best cheap mic stand to use w/ the UMIK-1? Going to jump back in to the wonderful world of REW w/ my FV25HP...and soon...the 4000ULF! *omg*




65" 900E Tee Vee | Denon 6300H AVR | PSA MTM-210s | PSA MTM-210c | PSA MTM-110s | Canton 880 InCeilings | Rythmik FV25HP
javan robinson is offline  
post #26446 of 29492 Old 02-19-2019, 11:45 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Saint Paul, Minnesota
Posts: 258
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Audyssey off ?

Can i please get your confirmation that according to this i should have audyssey off. If I am wrong please tell me what you would do in my situation. here is the graph. Blue is audyssey off. Red is audyssey on DEQ on. Green is audyssey on DEQ off. Level is set to 85db btw. Your opinoins will be appreciated. Thank you
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	aud  on and off dyn eq on and off.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	2528104  
Totemtimer is offline  
post #26447 of 29492 Old 02-19-2019, 12:00 PM
** Man of Leisure **
 
AustinJerry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 22,623
Mentioned: 487 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12680 Post(s)
Liked: 7595
Quote:
Originally Posted by javan robinson View Post
Hey guys - whats the best cheap mic stand to use w/ the UMIK-1? Going to jump back in to the wonderful world of REW w/ my FV25HP...and soon...the 4000ULF! *omg*
There are a ton of mic stands out there. Search for "boom mic stand".
AustinJerry is online now  
post #26448 of 29492 Old 02-19-2019, 12:03 PM
** Man of Leisure **
 
AustinJerry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 22,623
Mentioned: 487 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12680 Post(s)
Liked: 7595
Quote:
Originally Posted by Totemtimer View Post
Can i please get your confirmation that according to this i should have audyssey off. If I am wrong please tell me what you would do in my situation. here is the graph. Blue is audyssey off. Red is audyssey on DEQ on. Green is audyssey on DEQ off. Level is set to 85db btw. Your opinoins will be appreciated. Thank you
It is hard to say from the measurements you posted, since the lines are so close together. Forget showing measurements with DEQ on. I would always choose Audyssey on unless the measurements showed a significant difference.
ddigler and Totemtimer like this.
AustinJerry is online now  
post #26449 of 29492 Old 02-19-2019, 12:05 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Saint Paul, Minnesota
Posts: 258
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
It is hard to say from the measurements you posted, since the lines are so close together. Forget showing measurements with DEQ on. I would always choose Audyssey on unless the measurements showed a significant difference.


You want a like 15-300hx graph or you think Audyssey on unless it’s verrry obvious


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Totemtimer is offline  
post #26450 of 29492 Old 02-19-2019, 12:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ahblaza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Pittsburgh Steeler Country
Posts: 4,190
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2567 Post(s)
Liked: 3924
Quote:
Originally Posted by javan robinson View Post
Hey guys - whats the best cheap mic stand to use w/ the UMIK-1? Going to jump back in to the wonderful world of REW w/ my FV25HP...and soon...the 4000ULF! *omg*
I have a couple of these I use, had them for years, very reliable and versatile:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1


If you don't mind me asking what do you use to take your Audy or other RC calibrations, a boom mic stand is reco'd for that as well...................
ahblaza is offline  
post #26451 of 29492 Old 02-19-2019, 12:25 PM
Advanced Member
 
javan robinson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Akron, Ohio
Posts: 874
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
There are a ton of mic stands out there. Search for "boom mic stand".
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahblaza View Post
I have a couple of these I use, had them for years, very reliable and versatile:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1


If you don't mind me asking what do you use to take your Audy or other RC calibrations, a boom mic stand is reco'd for that as well...................

Thanks guys - I just ordered this one - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 - though I might cancel it, spend the extra $6 for the onstage one.

For Audyssey I was using the built in cardboard stand that came with my Denon 6300.
ddigler likes this.




65" 900E Tee Vee | Denon 6300H AVR | PSA MTM-210s | PSA MTM-210c | PSA MTM-110s | Canton 880 InCeilings | Rythmik FV25HP
javan robinson is offline  
post #26452 of 29492 Old 02-19-2019, 12:35 PM
** Man of Leisure **
 
AustinJerry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 22,623
Mentioned: 487 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12680 Post(s)
Liked: 7595
Quote:
Originally Posted by Totemtimer View Post
You want a like 15-300hx graph or you think Audyssey on unless it’s verrry obvious


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Can you show two measurements, Audyssey on and off, 15-20,000Hz, 1/6 smoothing. Change the vertical scale to 60-100dB so that 5dB increments are shown. That should allow us to clearly see the differences between Audyssey off and on.
ahblaza likes this.
AustinJerry is online now  
post #26453 of 29492 Old 02-19-2019, 12:50 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Saint Paul, Minnesota
Posts: 258
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
Can you show two measurements, Audyssey on and off, 15-20,000Hz, 1/6 smoothing. Change the vertical scale to 60-100dB so that 5dB increments are shown. That should allow us to clearly see the differences between Audyssey off and on.


I just ran out the door for work 10 min ago. I’ll post tonight. Thank you AustinJerry for replying . I’ll have a lot more assistances in the future so please continue. Have a good day brother


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Totemtimer is offline  
post #26454 of 29492 Old 02-19-2019, 01:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ahblaza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Pittsburgh Steeler Country
Posts: 4,190
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2567 Post(s)
Liked: 3924
Quote:
Originally Posted by javan robinson View Post
Thanks guys - I just ordered this one - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 - though I might cancel it, spend the extra $6 for the onstage one.

For Audyssey I was using the built in cardboard stand that came with my Denon 6300.
Keep that one it should be fine, much better results should be obtained using a mic stand for Audyssey calibrations instead of the cardboard apparatus..........
ddigler likes this.
ahblaza is offline  
post #26455 of 29492 Old 02-19-2019, 02:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ddigler's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 2,064
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1165 Post(s)
Liked: 517
ddigler is offline  
post #26456 of 29492 Old 02-19-2019, 04:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
golden78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: syracuse
Posts: 1,018
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 419 Post(s)
Liked: 144
I am new at rew so I just ran some sweeps with subwoofer only.i hope I did everything correctly for settings but this is what I got when I measured my single monolith 15 from 3 different spots on my couch. please feel free to comment as I clearly don't know what im doing or what it all means but im trying to read up on it to learn and figure it out . I attached screen shot of graph and waterfall and distortion although it showed none at all so I assume I did something wrong. Unfortunately I dont have options for any different sub placement at moment. I don't know what huge dip at around 35hz would be from.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sub measurement couch.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	2528238   Click image for larger version

Name:	sub waterfall.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	114.5 KB
ID:	2528240   Click image for larger version

Name:	subwoofer distortion.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	74.9 KB
ID:	2528242  

Last edited by golden78; 02-19-2019 at 05:03 PM.
golden78 is offline  
post #26457 of 29492 Old 02-19-2019, 05:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ahblaza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Pittsburgh Steeler Country
Posts: 4,190
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2567 Post(s)
Liked: 3924
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahblaza View Post
Keep that one it should be fine, much better results should be obtained using a mic stand for Audyssey calibrations instead of the cardboard apparatus..........
I use this adapter for the Audy mic, there may be something less expensive but I really like this one, take the brass insert ring out of the UMIK barrel and the holder will screw onto the boom stand end.. like Dig said no adapter needed for that mic

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
ahblaza is offline  
post #26458 of 29492 Old 02-19-2019, 05:25 PM
** Man of Leisure **
 
AustinJerry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 22,623
Mentioned: 487 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12680 Post(s)
Liked: 7595
Quote:
Originally Posted by golden78 View Post
I am new at rew so I just ran some sweeps with subwoofer only.i hope I did everything correctly for settings but this is what I got when I measured my single monolith 15 from 3 different spots on my couch. please feel free to comment as I clearly don't know what im doing or what it all means but im trying to read up on it to learn and figure it out . I attached screen shot of graph and waterfall and distortion although it showed none at all so I assume I did something wrong. Unfortunately I dont have options for any different sub placement at moment. I don't know what huge dip at around 35hz would be from.
The middle of the couch seems to be in a null. To understand it more completely, we need to know the room dimensions, where the sub is placed, and where the couch is situated in the room.
AustinJerry is online now  
post #26459 of 29492 Old 02-19-2019, 05:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
golden78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: syracuse
Posts: 1,018
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 419 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by golden78 View Post
I am new at rew so I just ran some sweeps with subwoofer only.i hope I did everything correctly for settings but this is what I got when I measured my single monolith 15 from 3 different spots on my couch. please feel free to comment as I clearly don't know what im doing or what it all means but im trying to read up on it to learn and figure it out . I attached screen shot of graph and waterfall and distortion although it showed none at all so I assume I did something wrong. Unfortunately I dont have options for any different sub placement at moment. I don't know what huge dip at around 35hz would be from.
The middle of the couch seems to be in a null. To understand it more completely, we need to know the room dimensions, where the sub is placed, and where the couch is situated in the room.
Thanks for replying.appreciate the help! my family Room is 19' x14' x 8.5' It was a garage that was converted into a family room and unfortunately wood paneling on walls (gross I know) and thick carpet /pad over a concrete slab. Left side of room has half wall that seperates it from kitchen/diningroom (which is 2 ft higher up than famroom). My couch(mlp) is about 14 ft from end of room and is in middle of room width wise.my sub Is in front right corner of room . So its about 12 feet from the driver of sub to my ears. it It's a monolith 15 in extended mode 1 port closed
golden78 is offline  
post #26460 of 29492 Old 02-19-2019, 08:24 PM
** Man of Leisure **
 
AustinJerry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 22,623
Mentioned: 487 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12680 Post(s)
Liked: 7595
Quote:
Originally Posted by golden78 View Post
Thanks for replying.appreciate the help! my family Room is 19' x14' x 8.5' It was a garage that was converted into a family room and unfortunately wood paneling on walls (gross I know) and thick carpet /pad over a concrete slab. Left side of room has half wall that seperates it from kitchen/diningroom (which is 2 ft higher up than famroom). My couch(mlp) is about 14 ft from end of room and is in middle of room width wise.my sub Is in front right corner of room . So its about 12 feet from the driver of sub to my ears. it It's a monolith 15 in extended mode 1 port closed
The width dimension of 14' has a first-order null at 40Hz. If your primary seat is mid-point on the couch, then you are sitting in the middle of the 40Hz null. The "middle couch" measurement shows a dep dip, and is worse than the other two measurements. As you move the seating position left or right, you are moving out of the null, and the measurements are somewhat better.

Moving the seating position would be difficult. However, you could mitigate or eliminate the 40Hz null if you were able to place the sub in the middle of the front or back wall. Is that possible? Another approach would be to add a second sub, and position the two subs at the 1/4 and 3/4 points along either the front or back wall. Then, of course, if you don't notice the 40Hz dip, then there would be no need to do anything, because the bass response above 40Hz up to 100Hz seems to be reasonably flat.
ahblaza likes this.
AustinJerry is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat

Tags
#rew , #room acoustics , #studio , Dayton , Dayton Audio , Room Equilizer Wizard Rew

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off