Simplified REW Setup and Use (USB Mic & HDMI Connection) Including Measurement Techniques and How To Interpret Graphs - Page 917 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4148Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #27481 of 27607 Old 06-23-2019, 08:54 AM
** Man of Leisure **
 
AustinJerry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 20,481
Mentioned: 374 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11026 Post(s)
Liked: 6571
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Ash View Post
Actually, my processor has an in-built 10-band PEQ per channel and that is what I am using. Let me see if I have uncorrected sub-only measurements, if not I can try and do the measurements.
If that is the case, why are you using a 2x4HD? I would think using REW’s PEQ tool would be more effective than your manual efforts using the processor’s 10-band PEQ. Now you have me confused. Nevertheless, looking at a sub-only measurement will be interesting.
AustinJerry is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #27482 of 27607 Old 06-23-2019, 09:56 AM
Advanced Member
 
Sam Ash's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 724
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
I suspect you are using the 2x4HD exclusively for the sub channel, correct? If yes, then the REW PEQ tool should be used on the response of the sub only, not the combined sub+center. Since the MDAT file you provided only has a sub+center measurement, I cannot experiment to see if a better PEQ can be achieved. And based on your MDAT file, it looks like the PEQ you are using was derived using the sub+center measurement which, IMO, is not the correct approach. Would you have an uncorrected sub-only measurement you could provide for downloading?
Hi Jerry, managed to find some sub channel only measurements that I did. The first response is in the MLP (Centre), the others are to the right, left and in front of the MLP. This was done with an intention to average the results just as an experiment.

Here is the download link:-

https://drive.google.com/file/d/16Ac...ew?usp=sharing
Sam Ash is offline  
post #27483 of 27607 Old 06-23-2019, 10:02 AM
Advanced Member
 
Sam Ash's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 724
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
If that is the case, why are you using a 2x4HD? I would think using REW’s PEQ tool would be more effective than your manual efforts using the processor’s 10-band PEQ. Now you have me confused. Nevertheless, looking at a sub-only measurement will be interesting.
Sorry for the confusion, just to clarify - I don't own a 2x4HD, I was just asking questions about it to establish whether it provides more flexibility, I may go for one in the future when I invest in an additional sub.

For now I am using the in-built PEQ in my processor. You are right, using a 2x4HD would be so much more efficient due to the fact that it integrates and works with REW

Last edited by Sam Ash; 06-23-2019 at 10:07 AM.
Sam Ash is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #27484 of 27607 Old 06-23-2019, 11:12 AM
** Man of Leisure **
 
AustinJerry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 20,481
Mentioned: 374 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11026 Post(s)
Liked: 6571
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Ash View Post
Hi Jerry, managed to find some sub channel only measurements that I did. The first response is in the MLP (Centre), the others are to the right, left and in front of the MLP. This was done with an intention to average the results just as an experiment.
Sorry, don't know where I got the idea that you were using a 2x4HD. Unfortunately, using the sub-only measurements as input to the REW PEQ tool, I cannot come up with a PEQ that is any better than the one you devised with your manual process. It seems like the combination of your listening room characteristics and the single sub's capabilities are just not resulting in the response you would like. The path to improvement is the usual--different placement, treatments, and additional subs.
sdrucker, ahblaza and Sam Ash like this.

Last edited by AustinJerry; 06-24-2019 at 06:02 AM.
AustinJerry is offline  
post #27485 of 27607 Old 06-23-2019, 01:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
artur9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: near philly
Posts: 2,333
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 991 Post(s)
Liked: 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Ash View Post
The centre portion of my ceiling along the length is flat
Dunno if you up for it but that sounds pretty good for an infinite baffle subwoofer: https://www.hometheatershack.com/for...affle-faq.html
artur9 is offline  
post #27486 of 27607 Old 06-23-2019, 04:12 PM
Advanced Member
 
DavidinGA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: GA
Posts: 516
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Question related closely with the theme of this thread.

I want to import some eq settings from rew over to my sub amp...

...but I can't get my Behringer NX3000D software (nx edit) to connect to the nx3000d unit. It connects to my pc and my pc recognizes the unit, but within the nx edit software it never connects. The software doesn't recognize its connected to the unit for some reason.

Anyone have a solution? I've tried Uninstalling and reinstall, restarting everything etc all to no avail...

Pc is running win10


Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

--------------------------------------------------
Source: HTPC w/madVR, Video: Epson 4000, 150" 16:9, Audio: Onkyo RZ 830 avr, 5.1.4 Atmos setup. 5 speaker Energy C Series: L/R C300's, C C-C100, SR/SL C50's, 4 in-ceiling Micca R-8c. Subwoofer: MiniMarty um18 w/NX3000D.
DavidinGA is offline  
post #27487 of 27607 Old 06-23-2019, 04:24 PM
** Man of Leisure **
 
AustinJerry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 20,481
Mentioned: 374 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11026 Post(s)
Liked: 6571
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidinGA View Post
Question related closely with the theme of this thread.

I want to import some eq settings from rew over to my sub amp...

...but I can't get my Behringer NX3000D software (nx edit) to connect to the nx3000d unit. It connects to my pc and my pc recognizes the unit, but within the nx edit software it never connects. The software doesn't recognize its connected to the unit for some reason.

Anyone have a solution? I've tried Uninstalling and reinstall, restarting everything etc all to no avail...

Pc is running win10


Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Not an REW-related issue, unfortunately. Is there a NX3000D thread where you could ask your question?
AustinJerry is offline  
post #27488 of 27607 Old 06-23-2019, 09:07 PM
Advanced Member
 
DavidinGA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: GA
Posts: 516
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
Not an REW-related issue, unfortunately. Is there a NX3000D thread where you could ask your question?
I figure most rew users are sending files over to their dsp units. Someone has probably encountered the issue here.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

--------------------------------------------------
Source: HTPC w/madVR, Video: Epson 4000, 150" 16:9, Audio: Onkyo RZ 830 avr, 5.1.4 Atmos setup. 5 speaker Energy C Series: L/R C300's, C C-C100, SR/SL C50's, 4 in-ceiling Micca R-8c. Subwoofer: MiniMarty um18 w/NX3000D.
DavidinGA is offline  
post #27489 of 27607 Old 06-23-2019, 09:14 PM
** Man of Leisure **
 
AustinJerry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 20,481
Mentioned: 374 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11026 Post(s)
Liked: 6571
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidinGA View Post
I figure most rew users are sending files over to their dsp units. Someone has probably encountered the issue here.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Typically, in REW a user will save the PEQ as a text file. Then in the PC program connected to the DSP unit, one would click on the “Import PEQ file from REW” to complete the transfer. That is the way it works for me. If that isn’t working in your case, as I said, you may find someone to answer your question in the appropriate thread dealing with your equipment.
AustinJerry is offline  
post #27490 of 27607 Old 06-24-2019, 01:49 AM
Advanced Member
 
Sam Ash's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 724
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
Sorry, don't know where I got the idea that you were using a 2x4HD. Unfortunately, using the sub-only measurements as input to the REQ PEQ tool, I cannot come up with a PEQ that is any better than the one you devised with your manual process. It seems like the combination of your listening room characteristics and the single sub's capabilities are just not resulting in the response you would like. The path to improvement is the usual--different placement, treatments, and additional subs.
Hi Jerry, you and Sanjay have been right all along. I've spent considerable time in my room to refine the EQ within the confines of my room characteristics, placement limitations and single sub.

Actually, overall, it sounds pretty good and I will work towards further improvements as I continue to upgrade my system.
AustinJerry likes this.
Sam Ash is offline  
post #27491 of 27607 Old 06-24-2019, 01:53 AM
Advanced Member
 
Sam Ash's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 724
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by artur9 View Post
Dunno if you up for it but that sounds pretty good for an infinite baffle subwoofer: https://www.hometheatershack.com/for...affle-faq.html
Haha, good idea Artur. However, I'm very inclined to get things right when I upgrade and will be working towards maximising seat to seat consistency.
Sam Ash is offline  
post #27492 of 27607 Old 06-24-2019, 09:56 AM
Senior Member
 
kagtha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Virginia Beach, Virginia
Posts: 212
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Does anyone know why MultEQ would make the bass a bit less flat?

Background:
I am using the LFE out for four 18s in VBSS enclosures. I have them running on 1 channel of a NX6000.

I added PEQ settings via NXedit until it looked decently flat.

I then let MultEQ do its thing, but it ended up looking flip-flopped when I took the last REW measurement.

GREEN = Baseline (no PEQ/MultEQ) Just Low and High Pass filters. (I was also able to find a spot 6 inches forward that had less of a 50hz null)
PURPLE = NXEdit PEQ result (I tried to make it as flat as I could)
RED = MultEQ calibration result (PEQ on)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	17_2nd change_MultEQ-is-red.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	127.1 KB
ID:	2583914   Click image for larger version

Name:	17_1st change_PEQ-is-purple.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	125.6 KB
ID:	2583916  

Bedroom Audio: Two Shallow Under Bed PA310-8 12's energized by an SPA250DSP Plate Amp. Two BST-1s. 75 Watt 7.1 Onkyo AVR with Five Martin Logan MLT-2 LCR & Surrounds.
Living Room Audio: One Behringer NX6000D flexing four PA460-8's in a contemporary VBSS credenza build, 100 Watt 5.1 Sony AVR zapping Three horizontal Elusive 1099s LCRs and Two Martin Logan MLT-2 Surrounds. Two BST-1 Bass Shakers charged by the MLT-2 Sub Amp.
kagtha is offline  
post #27493 of 27607 Old 06-24-2019, 05:37 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Hey everyone, i have one question about Rew. I'm brand new to Rew and know very little about this suff so please ignore my stupidity.

My question is about damaging my speakers playing measurements. I have psa speakers which play 60hz - 18khz and my avr is set to 80hz crossover. I noticed that when i take a measurement from 10hz to 200hz my speaker is actually producing noise well under 80hz to atleast 40hz. I turned my subwoofer off to test this.

Is this completely normal or can it damage my speakers? Is it okay to play a measurement above 18khz?

Also when playing the pink noise is it okay to play the subwoofer pink noise through my speaker? I have to use java so i cannot select LFE channel individually.
moviefiend420 is offline  
post #27494 of 27607 Old 06-24-2019, 06:40 PM
** Man of Leisure **
 
AustinJerry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 20,481
Mentioned: 374 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11026 Post(s)
Liked: 6571
Quote:
Originally Posted by moviefiend420 View Post
Hey everyone, i have one question about Rew. I'm brand new to Rew and know very little about this suff so please ignore my stupidity.

My question is about damaging my speakers playing measurements. I have psa speakers which play 60hz - 18khz and my avr is set to 80hz crossover. I noticed that when i take a measurement from 10hz to 200hz my speaker is actually producing noise well under 80hz to atleast 40hz. I turned my subwoofer off to test this.

Is this completely normal or can it damage my speakers? Is it okay to play a measurement above 18khz?

Also when playing the pink noise is it okay to play the subwoofer pink noise through my speaker? I have to use java so i cannot select LFE channel individually.
I don’t think you should be concerned when outputting REW measurement sweeps, as long as the output is at a reasonable level, typically 80-90 Hz. As for tones coming from the mains below the crossover frequency, this is perfectly normal. Crossovers are not brick walls—the frequencies below the crossover will be attenuated as per the crossover slope. And there should be no issue with outputting pink noise to the mains.
ahblaza likes this.
AustinJerry is offline  
post #27495 of 27607 Old 06-24-2019, 10:24 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 2
I Dont know how to quote you but thanks so much AustinJerry.
AustinJerry likes this.
moviefiend420 is offline  
post #27496 of 27607 Old 06-25-2019, 07:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
artur9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: near philly
Posts: 2,333
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 991 Post(s)
Liked: 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
as long as the output is at a reasonable level, typically 80-90 Hz dB
Minor correction to avoid misunderstandings.

As long as the speaker is not DIY it should be designed and built such that it will not play frequencies that can damage it. Most people worry about low frequencies but trying to get tweeters to play too high can be a problem as well.
artur9 is offline  
post #27497 of 27607 Old 06-25-2019, 07:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
artur9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: near philly
Posts: 2,333
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 991 Post(s)
Liked: 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by kagtha View Post
Does anyone know why MultEQ would make the bass a bit less flat?
No one's taken a crack at this so I will. Maybe MultiEQ has changed the phase? Different filter types have various effects on phase etc.

If you are technically minded this doc may explain: https://www.ele.uri.edu/courses/ele3...sicfilters.pdf
kagtha likes this.
artur9 is offline  
post #27498 of 27607 Old 06-25-2019, 09:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Gooddoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 8,658
Mentioned: 181 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3687 Post(s)
Liked: 3283
I downloaded latest windows REW version and there is a bug where I can't access my Umik-1 mic with ASIO4all. Had to install a prior REW version.

Anyone else have this problem?
Gooddoc is offline  
post #27499 of 27607 Old 06-25-2019, 12:25 PM
** Man of Leisure **
 
AustinJerry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 20,481
Mentioned: 374 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11026 Post(s)
Liked: 6571
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooddoc View Post
I downloaded latest windows REW version and there is a bug where I can't access my Umik-1 mic with ASIO4all. Had to install a prior REW version.

Anyone else have this problem?
Good to see you, Gooddoc! Probably not what you want to hear, but I am having no issues connecting to the UMIK-1 with REW beta 13. ASIO4All has always been problematic--keep trying. And FlexASIO might be an alternative to consider.
ahblaza likes this.
AustinJerry is offline  
post #27500 of 27607 Old 06-25-2019, 12:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Gooddoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 8,658
Mentioned: 181 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3687 Post(s)
Liked: 3283
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
Good to see you, Gooddoc! Probably not what you want to hear, but I am having no issues connecting to the UMIK-1 with REW beta 13. ASIO4All has always been problematic--keep trying. And FlexASIO might be an alternative to consider.
Ditto Jerry! A quick Google search tells me that this is has been a problem in some recent releases. I simply installed a prior version and it's working no problem.

I've been derelict in my measuring duties over the past year or two . But I'm back in the saddle, haha. I paid the price though with various issues that have cropped up that have impacted my system SQ. Without measurements I was completely in the dark. Kind of embarrassing to say, but my miniDSP took a crap and two of my subs weren't working and I didn't even know it. I mean I knew the bass wasn't quite right, but didn't realize I had two subs out.
ahblaza likes this.
Gooddoc is offline  
post #27501 of 27607 Old 06-25-2019, 01:36 PM
** Man of Leisure **
 
AustinJerry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 20,481
Mentioned: 374 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11026 Post(s)
Liked: 6571
Yes, I think we have all been there at one time or another. Good luck.
Gooddoc and ahblaza like this.
AustinJerry is offline  
post #27502 of 27607 Old 06-25-2019, 02:29 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 52
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 7
So ive taken my first measurements following the guide(hopefully I didnt mess anything up).

The Room is open, measuring about 21x14x7-9(slightly vaulted ceiling), the listening space is about 14x14. with some OC 703 panels wrapped and hung on the walls.

system is dedicated 2 channel, no EQ or calibration:laptop to dacmagic 100 and UMM-6, cambridge 851a, Revel M16, SVS SB2000(xover 60HZ on sub, set just in of right speaker).

For initial results, After I turned the subwoofer way down, im not mad about this. Need to work a bit on the calibration both SPL(values much higher in measurement than measured SPL following the guide) and mic mounting.

After I nail down more calibrations, if everything stays about the same. It looks like ill be needing some basstraps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	waterfall.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	433.0 KB
ID:	2584446   Click image for larger version

Name:	sub1.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	154.1 KB
ID:	2584450   Click image for larger version

Name:	var-full.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	174.9 KB
ID:	2584452  

System: Cambridge 851A, Cambridge DACMAGIC 100, JVC XL-Z1050TN, Rega RP6, Vincent PHO-8, Revel M126be, SVS SB2000. A bunch of monster power conditioning junk

V: Samsung NU8000, Nvidia Shield TV

Last edited by Locoliberty; 06-25-2019 at 02:45 PM.
Locoliberty is offline  
post #27503 of 27607 Old 06-26-2019, 03:47 PM
Advanced Member
 
GrandPixel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 844
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Can I set a custom curve for REW to target for a PEQ on my c-dsp input channels?
GrandPixel is offline  
post #27504 of 27607 Old 06-27-2019, 05:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
artur9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: near philly
Posts: 2,333
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 991 Post(s)
Liked: 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandPixel View Post
Can I set a custom curve for REW to target for a PEQ on my c-dsp input channels?
IIUC, yes. Go into the EQ section and there's a panel labelled "Target Settings". In there is a "Add room curve" checkbox that enables some stuff.
artur9 is offline  
post #27505 of 27607 Old 06-27-2019, 06:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
artur9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: near philly
Posts: 2,333
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 991 Post(s)
Liked: 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by Locoliberty View Post
So ive taken my first measurements following the guide(hopefully I didnt mess anything up).

The Room is open, measuring about 21x14x7-9(slightly vaulted ceiling), the listening space is about 14x14. with some OC 703 panels wrapped and hung on the walls.

system is dedicated 2 channel, no EQ or calibration:laptop to dacmagic 100 and UMM-6, cambridge 851a, Revel M16, SVS SB2000(xover 60HZ on sub, set just in of right speaker).
Congrats! In no time you'll be a well-oiled measurement-taking machine.

Looks like your room modes go as high as 300Hz, which is possible. This shows your Shroeder frequency as 179Hz (and some other cool things) https://amcoustics.com/tools/amroc?l...t=true&r60=0.6

Personally, I prefer to set the subwoofer and XO as high as possible. Given the SVS2000 is rated to 220Hz, I would start there and work my way down. The clarity gained in the music by doing that is well worth it.
artur9 is offline  
post #27506 of 27607 Old 06-27-2019, 06:16 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 52
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by artur9 View Post
Congrats! In no time you'll be a well-oiled measurement-taking machine.

Looks like your room modes go as high as 300Hz, which is possible. This shows your Shroeder frequency as 179Hz (and some other cool things) https://amcoustics.com/tools/amroc?l...t=true&r60=0.6

Personally, I prefer to set the subwoofer and XO as high as possible. Given the SVS2000 is rated to 220Hz, I would start there and work my way down. The clarity gained in the music by doing that is well worth it.
I am running a Cambridge 851a, so I dont have any way to low pass my main speakers. Is turning my xover on the sub that high going to be beneficial? I feel like sub localization would be a huge problem at that point.

I do need to work on the crossover with measurement, right now 60hz puts it at the rated roll off of the mains which are rated for 57hz.

System: Cambridge 851A, Cambridge DACMAGIC 100, JVC XL-Z1050TN, Rega RP6, Vincent PHO-8, Revel M126be, SVS SB2000. A bunch of monster power conditioning junk

V: Samsung NU8000, Nvidia Shield TV
Locoliberty is offline  
post #27507 of 27607 Old 06-27-2019, 06:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
artur9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: near philly
Posts: 2,333
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 991 Post(s)
Liked: 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by Locoliberty View Post
Is turning my xover on the sub that high going to be beneficial?
It can be but it's also a matter of taste. Lyngdorf Audio uses/recommends crossovers as high as 400Hz.

Quote:
I feel like sub localization would be a huge problem at that point.
It could be. Since your sub is right next to your R it probably won't be too much of an issue. It's something to try. If you can localize then get another SB2000 and put it next to the L and you'll be killing 2 birds with one stone :-)

Quote:
I do need to work on the crossover with measurement, right now 60hz puts it at the rated roll off of the mains which are rated for 57hz.
I think there's a rule of thumb out there that says to crossover one octave higher than the main's roll off frequency. In your case, that would be 114Hz.

Without being able to high pass your mains, the blending in of the sub becomes trickier but not too too hard or tricky. Just very fiddly.
Locoliberty likes this.
artur9 is offline  
post #27508 of 27607 Old 06-27-2019, 06:44 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 52
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by artur9 View Post
It can be but it's also a matter of taste. Lyngdorf Audio uses/recommends crossovers as high as 400Hz.

In your case, that would be 114Hz.
That is differing from what ive always heard, Ive always been under the impression what I dont really want my xover to be much past 100 or 120. But there is a A LOT of knowledgeable people around here. so I cant say anything is wrong.

Just more things to try as a tweak with measurements.

System: Cambridge 851A, Cambridge DACMAGIC 100, JVC XL-Z1050TN, Rega RP6, Vincent PHO-8, Revel M126be, SVS SB2000. A bunch of monster power conditioning junk

V: Samsung NU8000, Nvidia Shield TV
Locoliberty is offline  
post #27509 of 27607 Old 06-27-2019, 09:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
artur9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: near philly
Posts: 2,333
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 991 Post(s)
Liked: 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by Locoliberty View Post
But there is a A LOT of knowledgeable people around here. so I cant say anything is wrong.
Yeah. A lot of the "knowledge base" out there isn't driven by the acoustics of small rooms but rather people trying to emulate big theaters or auditoriums. People hear "small room" and get offended that their 20x40x10 room is considered acoustically small :-)

I haven't read this but a glance at some of the contents shows promise: https://danylastchild07.files.wordpr...mall-rooms.pdf
artur9 is offline  
post #27510 of 27607 Old 06-27-2019, 10:24 AM
Senior Member
 
kagtha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Virginia Beach, Virginia
Posts: 212
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by artur9 View Post
No one's taken a crack at this so I will. Maybe MultiEQ has changed the phase? Different filter types have various effects on phase etc.

If you are technically minded this doc may explain: https://www.ele.uri.edu/courses/ele3...sicfilters.pdf
Thanks for the help artur9,

So what do you recommend I try? Maybe flipping all the negative and positives? Or should I be happy with the result?

Bedroom Audio: Two Shallow Under Bed PA310-8 12's energized by an SPA250DSP Plate Amp. Two BST-1s. 75 Watt 7.1 Onkyo AVR with Five Martin Logan MLT-2 LCR & Surrounds.
Living Room Audio: One Behringer NX6000D flexing four PA460-8's in a contemporary VBSS credenza build, 100 Watt 5.1 Sony AVR zapping Three horizontal Elusive 1099s LCRs and Two Martin Logan MLT-2 Surrounds. Two BST-1 Bass Shakers charged by the MLT-2 Sub Amp.
kagtha is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat

Tags
Dayton , Dayton Audio , Room Equilizer Wizard Rew

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off