Simplified REW Setup and Use (USB Mic & HDMI Connection) Including Measurement Techniques and How To Interpret Graphs - Page 947 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4423Likes

post #28381 of 28403 Old 11-24-2019, 11:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 1855
Quote:
Originally Posted by meak81 View Post
So I am about to order the Umik-1 from spectrum labs website and was wondering if I need an spl meter as well? And if so can someone please recommend a good spl meter? Thanks.
No - the UMIK-1 when used with Room EQ Wizard (REW) will become your SPL meter, and more.
vavan likes this.

HT: Samsung PN64H5000 (recommended settings) | NAD T758 V3 | Buchardt S400 (2) | Polk LSiM 702 F/X (2) | Infinity RS152 (4) | Subs TBD (2)
PC: Micca OriGen G2 | Mackie MR624 (2)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #28382 of 28403 Old 11-24-2019, 11:27 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulburner View Post
Quote:
So I am about to order the Umik-1 from spectrum labs website and was wondering if I need an spl meter as well? And if so can someone please recommend a good spl meter? Thanks.
No - the UMIK-1 when used with Room EQ Wizard (REW) will become your SPL meter, and more.
Sweet, thank you!👍🏼Also I was reading the beginners guide for REW and he recommends a laptop, I don't have one but my PC is connected to my AVR through HDMI, so is it ok if I use my PC for REW measurements?
post #28383 of 28403 Old 11-25-2019, 05:37 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 309 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Sweet, thank you!👍🏼Also I was reading the beginners guide for REW and he recommends a laptop, I don't have one but my PC is connected to my AVR through HDMI, so is it ok if I use my PC for REW measurements?
Yes. That's what I do..

Samsung UN82MU8000 4K UHD TV | Yamaha RX-A2070 9.2 AVR with Klipsch R-15M L&R and R-34C front stage speakers | Klipsch G-12 surrounds | 4 Atrium 5 front & rear Tops | Dual BIC RtR EV-1200 Subs | 5.1.4 Atmos system | Samsung UBD M9500 BD Player | FireTV 4K | Logitech Harmony 750 | TIVO BOLT OTA 849000 | AppleTV 4K | miniDSP 2 X 4 |
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #28384 of 28403 Old 11-25-2019, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck666 View Post
Quote:
Yes. That's what I do..
Awesome! Thanks for the help.
post #28385 of 28403 Old 11-25-2019, 07:06 AM
** Man of Leisure **

Mentioned: 410 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11504 Post(s)
Liked: 6802
Quote:
You can perform all the home audio measuring tasks you would typically want to do by using REW and the USB mic. And the measurements would be more accurate than most consumer SPL meters.
gwsat and vavan like this.
post #28386 of 28403 Old 11-28-2019, 09:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1354 Post(s)
Liked: 501
I'm going to get a new laptop soon, since I absolutely despise my old one (Alienware MX11) - and starting to use REW again gives me an excuse.

A lot of the models I'm looking at, have no HDMI output though. They have either Thunderbolt 3 or USB-C. I believe there are adapters that mate Thunderbolt 3 to HDMI or USB-C to HDMI.

My question is that, sometimes those can be a bit finicky, or the process itself can be when using certain types of software. I'm not sure if the drivers for ASIO4all support that? If that's even the right thing to ask?

Who all is using either Thunderbolt 3 to HDMI or USB-C to HDMI with REW successfully? With zero connectivity issues?

I'm looking at the Dell XPS 13 - it only has USB-C and Thunderbolt 3, the XPS 15 does have an HDMI 2.0 output - and would make things easier.....but I like the form factor of the XPS 13 better.

Thoughts?

Last edited by ScottieBoysName; 11-28-2019 at 09:46 AM.
post #28387 of 28403 Old 11-28-2019, 10:09 AM
** Man of Leisure **

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottieBoysName View Post
I'm going to get a new laptop soon, since I absolutely despise my old one (Alienware MX11) - and starting to use REW again gives me an excuse.

A lot of the models I'm looking at, have no HDMI output though. They have either Thunderbolt 3 or USB-C. I believe there are adapters that mate Thunderbolt 3 to HDMI or USB-C to HDMI.

My question is that, sometimes those can be a bit finicky, or the process itself can be when using certain types of software. I'm not sure if the drivers for ASIO4all support that? If that's even the right thing to ask?

Who all is using either Thunderbolt 3 to HDMI or USB-C to HDMI with REW successfully? With zero connectivity issues?

I'm looking at the Dell XPS 13 - it only has USB-C and Thunderbolt 3, the XPS 15 does have an HDMI 2.0 output - and would make things easier.....but I like the form factor of the XPS 13 better.

Thoughts?
Personally, I think you are asking for trouble if you select a laptop without an HDMI port and expect to use it with REW. I recently purchased this new laptop:

Acer Aspire E 15

I have owned several Acer laptops over the years, and they have proved to be very reliable, and to function flawlessly with REW. And Newegg.com is a reputable vendor.
post #28388 of 28403 Old 11-28-2019, 10:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
Personally, I think you are asking for trouble if you select a laptop without an HDMI port and expect to use it with REW. I recently purchased this new laptop:

Acer Aspire E 15

I have owned several Acer laptops over the years, and they have proved to be very reliable, and to function flawlessly with REW. And Newegg.com is a reputable vendor.
I agree - I do feel like I"m "chancing it" picking one up without an HDMI port. In searching the thread it seems like there are a myriad of folks using the Thunderbolt connection with mixed success. With all else that can possibly be a variable with an REW measurement and setup - knowing one thing...the connection specifically is working correctly is a bit of calm.

I might just pick up a Black Friday special and call it a day.

One quick question, I have no idea why - but there are laptops still available with HDMI ports that are 1.4a/b spec. Ideally I'd want something 2.0a - correct? Or would it even matter when specifically relating to REW?
post #28389 of 28403 Old 11-28-2019, 10:28 AM
** Man of Leisure **

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottieBoysName View Post

One quick question, I have no idea why - but there are laptops still available with HDMI ports that are 1.4a/b spec. Ideally I'd want something 2.0a - correct? Or would it even matter when specifically relating to REW?
It will make no difference when using REW. HDMI 2.0 is only important for 4K 60 FPS video and HDR video.
ahblaza likes this.
post #28390 of 28403 Old 11-28-2019, 10:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
It will make no difference when using REW. HDMI 2.0 is only important for 4K 60 FPS video and HDR video.
Awesome, thanks!

Happy Thanksgiving btw - it's been awhile since we've traded replies. Watch out for the rain/storms today/tomorrow. It's supposed to get bad up here but we'll see.
AustinJerry likes this.
post #28391 of 28403 Old 12-02-2019, 05:19 AM

So I am new to REW and I am in need of help. For some reason I have no Mic/Meter tab available in the Preferences section of REW, weather I choose Asio4all or Java the Mic/Meter tab is not there.. Does anyone have any idea why this could be happening? I have my PC connected to my avr through hdmi, I have the latest Windows 10 updates, I have followed the REW beginners guide to get set up but I'm stumped as to why I have no Mic/Meter tab available. The tabs that I do have available in the Preferences section of REW are as follows- Soundcard, Cal Files, Comms, House Curve, Analysis, Equaliser, and View tab.. any help is very much appreciated.
post #28392 of 28403 Old 12-02-2019, 07:41 AM

Nevermind... it looks like REW version 5.20 replacec the Mic/Meter tab with the new Cal File tab. But I have sooo many more questions 😬 like for instance, do I run audyssey first and then do REW measurements? How many measurements do I do with REW? And does REW measure my sub by itself or does it do it together with my mains? Sorry if these are stupid questions but I must learn..😬 Seems like REW has a steep learning curve, so I am definitely going to be posting alot on here lol.
post #28393 of 28403 Old 12-02-2019, 07:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 2347 Post(s)
Liked: 1647
Quote:
Nevermind... it looks like REW version 5.20 replacec the Mic/Meter tab with the new Cal File tab. But I have sooo many more questions 😬 like for instance, do I run audyssey first and then do REW measurements? How many measurements do I do with REW? And does REW measure my sub by itself or does it do it together with my mains? Sorry if these are stupid questions but I must learn..😬 Seems like REW has a steep learning curve, so I am definitely going to be posting alot on here lol.
Read this guide on the link I provided. It will tell you what you need to do.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zdhq72a1pu...%20Version.pdf

Theater room: Sony 45es | 120 inch screen | Panasonic BDT500 | Rotel RMB-1077 | Outlaw Audio 976 | Klipsch RP-280F/RP-450C/RP-160M (x4) | Funk Audio subs (x2) | MiniDSP 2x4HD | Crowson D-501/Shadow-8 Actuators (x2) | Monster Power Conditioner | GIK acoustic panels

TV Room: Panny 60 inch | Rotel RMB-1075 | Rotel RSP-1068 | Axiom Audio M60/VP150/QS8
post #28394 of 28403 Old 12-02-2019, 08:11 AM
** Man of Leisure **

Quote:
Sorry, there have been so many changes to both REW and to the Windows OS over the years since the guide was originally released that it has become difficult to keep the guide current. Other than the fact that some of the details on the screenshots have changed, I think the underlying instructions and tips are still useful enough that most readers will figure things out. And you are correct, the tab is now called Cal Files.

There is no specific set of REW measurements that you should take. Rather, ask yourself the question, “What am I trying to do?”, and select the appropriate measurements to answer your question. For example:

- “How does my set-up sound right now?” Take a set up measurements from your listening position for the left, center, right and subs with Audyssey on.
- “It doesn’t look good. Now what?” Take the same measurements with Audyssey turned off. Which speaker responses look the worst? Consider finding new positions for the speakers, moving your listening position, adding more subs, or adding room treatments, depending on what issues you see.
- “Did the changes make any difference?” Re-measure the speaker response you were trying to improve. Do you see improvement?
- “OK, I have done everything I can do for now. Are there significant improvements?” Re-run Audyssey calibration, and then re-measure the LCR and subs. See improvements? If yes, congratulate yourself. If no, then it’s back to the drawing board.

The road to improving your set-up’s audio is a long one, with a lot of trial and error along the way. There is a saying that you can’t improve anything unless you can measure it. REW lets you measure your changes to keep you on the right path.
Alan P likes this.
post #28395 of 28403 Old 12-02-2019, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Sorry, there have been so many changes to both REW and to the Windows OS over the years since the guide was originally released that it has become difficult to keep the guide current. Other than the fact that some of the details on the screenshots have changed, I think the underlying instructions and tips are still useful enough that most readers will figure things out. And you are correct, the tab is now called Cal Files.

There is no specific set of REW measurements that you should take. Rather, ask yourself the question, “What am I trying to do?”, and select the appropriate measurements to answer your question. For example:

- “How does my set-up sound right now?” Take a set up measurements from your listening position for the left, center, right and subs with Audyssey on.
- “It doesn’️t look good. Now what?” Take the same measurements with Audyssey turned off. Which speaker responses look the worst? Consider finding new positions for the speakers, moving your listening position, adding more subs, or adding room treatments, depending on what issues you see.
- “Did the changes make any difference?” Re-measure the speaker response you were trying to improve. Do you see improvement?
- “OK, I have done everything I can do for now. Are there significant improvements?” Re-run Audyssey calibration, and then re-measure the LCR and subs. See improvements? If yes, congratulate yourself. If no, then it’️s back to the drawing board.

The road to improving your set-up’️s audio is a long one, with a lot of trial and error along the way. There is a saying that you can’️t improve anything unless you can measure it. REW lets you measure your changes to keep you on the right path.
Awesome info! Thank you, and you pretty much nailed what I'm trying to achieve. I am going to delve into the REW beginners guide some more but I will definitely be back with more questions.. thanks again you guys.
AustinJerry likes this.
post #28396 of 28403 Old Yesterday, 03:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Hi, first time poster in this thread. I’m starting to get to grips with rew measurements. My room is roughly 1800 cubic feet (2.4m x 3.6m x 5.8m).
The pic shows the centre channel (crossed over with the sub at 80hz). The sub and centre are level matched at 75db. The sub volume is quite low (-27) I think the peaks at 30hz are Causing this. The sub is in the room corner.
Any suggestions for improvement? Should I sort the 30hz peaks using the sub peq and raise the volume. Would it be ok to then run Dirac after this? Would moving the sub to the centre of the speaker array help in anyway? Room is fairly well treated. Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	44AC84BB-9221-4619-883E-FE26ED7D153A_1576017800920.jpeg
Views:	17
Size:	187.9 KB
ID:	2652215  
post #28397 of 28403 Old Yesterday, 04:37 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 6598 Post(s)
Liked: 6011
Quote:
Originally Posted by infernored View Post
Hi, first time poster in this thread. I’m starting to get to grips with rew measurements. My room is roughly 1800 cubic feet (2.4m x 3.6m x 5.8m).
The pic shows the centre channel (crossed over with the sub at 80hz). The sub and centre are level matched at 75db. The sub volume is quite low (-27) I think the peaks at 30hz are Causing this. The sub is in the room corner.
Any suggestions for improvement? Should I sort the 30hz peaks using the sub peq and raise the volume. Would it be ok to then run Dirac after this? Would moving the sub to the centre of the speaker array help in anyway? Room is fairly well treated. Thanks
What are the three different traces in your graph? Different listening positions, or....??

IMO, you don't have a problem with a peak at 30hz, you have a problem with very large dips at 35hz and 60-70hz. On the red trace, the suckout spans from 30hz to 90hz and, at it's lowest point, is -30dB.

If at all possible, I would suggest you work on sub placement to find a location that gives you a much flatter response. Even Dirac won't be able to fix what you have now.

Also, listing your equipment would be helpful.
post #28398 of 28403 Old Yesterday, 05:20 PM
** Man of Leisure **

Quote:
First of all, thanks for being so clear in your post. And I agree with Alan, the dips in the sub response are not good, and will likely not be correctable with PEQ or with automated room correction. The obvious first step would be to try various alternative placements for the sub. Be creative and try a number of spots, regardless of whether the spots would be an acceptable long-term placement. It's best to understand the issue. And if there are no placements that show improvement, then the next logical step would be to add an additional sub, or even several more, depending on how important you feel good bass response would be.

You might find this an interesting read: Benefits of Multiple Subs
Alan P likes this.
post #28399 of 28403 Old Today, 01:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan P View Post

What are the three different traces in your graph? Different listening positions, or....??

IMO, you don't have a problem with a peak at 30hz, you have a problem with very large dips at 35hz and 60-70hz. On the red trace, the suckout spans from 30hz to 90hz and, at it's lowest point, is -30dB. [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/eek.gif[/IMG]

If at all possible, I would suggest you work on sub placement to find a location that gives you a much flatter response. Even Dirac won't be able to fix what you have now.

Also, listing your equipment would be helpful.
Hi
Equipment is as follows:
Arcam AVR 850
Arendal 1723 speakers
Svs SB16 ultra sub

The multiple traces are the different seating positions. Red is middle, the others aare left and right of middle.
I will move the sub and report back. Hopefully I can find a better alternative position.
post #28400 of 28403 Old Today, 07:02 AM
** Man of Leisure **

Quote:
Hi
Equipment is as follows:
Arcam AVR 850
Arendal 1723 speakers
Svs SB16 ultra sub

The multiple traces are the different seating positions. Red is middle, the others aare left and right of middle.
I will move the sub and report back. Hopefully I can find a better alternative position.
Keep in mind that it is difficult, if not impossible, to achieve smooth bass response with a single sub, regardless of how good the sub is.
vavan likes this.
post #28401 of 28403 Old Today, 07:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 441 Post(s)
Liked: 362
Quote:
Doesn’t REW have a feature to off-set traces, so that they can be studied separately instead of as a jumbled mess? Why doesn’t anyone use it?

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt
Alan P likes this.

Equipment List
"A nice mid-fi system," according to an audiophile acquaintance.

Reviews and Tech Articles
post #28402 of 28403 Old Today, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne A. Pflughaupt View Post

Doesn’️t REW have a feature to off-set traces, so that they can be studied separately instead of as a jumbled mess? Why doesn’️t anyone use it?

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt
It does. I preferred overlaying as it is easier to compare.
post #28403 of 28403 Old Today, 08:59 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 220 Post(s)
Quoted: 7381 Post(s)
Liked: 6456
Quote:
Can you measure the sub at the midpoint of room width?

Sanjay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat

Tags
Dayton , Dayton Audio , Room Equilizer Wizard Rew

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page