Simplified REW Setup and Use (USB Mic & HDMI Connection) Including Measurement Techniques and How To Interpret Graphs - Page 965 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4659Likes

post #28921 of 28999 Old 03-21-2020, 07:10 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Thanks
So each speaker sound arrives at the same time e.g subs that have dsp have more delay before you even start then the wave length, hence why you can't use the sub as a reference, better with a tweeter. When setting up subs it's main purpose is for integration around the crossover. Acoustic timing is not the pyshical measurement.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #28922 of 28999 Old 03-22-2020, 12:49 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
We are talking about the same guide, but I am still having difficulty understanding “Step 15” and “Step 19”. How about a page number instead.

And as for the Soundcard cal file, when using ASIO and HDMI, there should be no Soundcard calibration file configured. Where did the “48Khz_USBAudioCal” file come from? I have never heard of that file.
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbojr74 View Post
Sorry mate - page 40 of 139.

I'll look to see where that Soundcard cal file is pointing at as I didn't install one that I'm aware of and report back.

Cheers
Just FYI @AustinJerry > chased down and found where that soundcard calibration file came from. It was one I did several years back when I used the old versions with a outboard mic amp, Behringer mic, sound card and L&R rca's
What I'm unsure about is how it got in there - must have been an old registry file when I originally had REW installed back then and didn't realize it carried over.

"GUESS WHAT?!! I've got a fever. And the only perscription...is more cow bell" - Christopher Walken - SNL
post #28923 of 28999 Old 03-22-2020, 03:22 PM
** Man of Leisure **

Mentioned: 452 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12108 Post(s)
Liked: 7214
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbojr74 View Post
Just FYI @AustinJerry > chased down and found where that soundcard calibration file came from. It was one I did several years back when I used the old versions with a outboard mic amp, Behringer mic, sound card and L&R rca's
What I'm unsure about is how it got in there - must have been an old registry file when I originally had REW installed back then and didn't realize it carried over.
I am happy you figured it out. The key takeaway is that the Soundcard calibration field should be empty.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #28924 of 28999 Old 03-22-2020, 04:37 PM
** Man of Leisure **

REW Guide updated to version 6.0

Taking advantage of the current shelter in place situation, I have created an update to the REW guide with the following changes:

6.0 March 22, 2020 - Swept entire document to update screenshots to reflect the numerous changes in REW through V5.20 beta 42.
- Removed sections dealing with non-HDMI setups using the Java drivers—the assumption is that most users will have HDMI-capable laptops now.
- Added a section for FlexASIO as an alternative to ASIO4All.

This was a fairly big undertaking, so if you see any mistakes or omissions, please let me know.

Updated guide: REW 101 v6-0
Bruce N, sdurani, Alan P and 13 others like this.

Last edited by AustinJerry; 03-22-2020 at 08:55 PM.
post #28925 of 28999 Old 03-23-2020, 08:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked: 336
Thanks @AustinJerry . I was tempted to black out all the non-hdmi setup info in my copy.
AustinJerry likes this.
post #28926 of 28999 Old 03-24-2020, 01:05 AM

Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Removed sections dealing with non-HDMI setups using the Java drivers—the assumption is that most users will have HDMI-capable laptops now
despite having notebook with hdmi I tend to use output either via USB DAC connection or WDM-driver for REW measurements so removing those sections is rather unfortunate...

Parasound Halo Integrated, Pioneer SC-LX 901, Oppo-205, Revel F208 + Heco Aurora Center 30 + Heco Victa Prime 202, Takstar HF 580
post #28927 of 28999 Old 03-24-2020, 05:18 AM
** Man of Leisure **

Quote:
Originally Posted by vavan View Post
despite having notebook with hdmi I tend to use output either via USB DAC connection or WDM-driver for REW measurements so removing those sections is rather unfortunate...
Sorry, it was not my intention to make things more difficult. I can make a copy of the previous version available to you if you send me a PM. It’s just that keeping those sections in the guide makes updating it that more difficult. Just curious, given the ease of use with the HDMI interface, what advantages do you see using your USB DAC?
post #28928 of 28999 Old 03-24-2020, 05:25 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
The hookup shown in the attachment is correct. I have never experimented with gain-matching downward-firing subs, but others have turned the sub on its side and measured that way.
HI Jerry

I have now made some measurements after connecting minidp 2*4.

I have attached the final before and after implementing minidsp PEQ.

While i'm performing the steps, i had some difficulties like below:
1. During gain matching the 2 subs , when i make the Master volume to reference level to (0) (IN my Yamaha it is +15 to -80) i have to make the gain knobs of my two subs to nearly zero close to 1 in the dials (10 available dials) and then only i can hear approx 85 db in MLP. So what i did was make both sub gain to 5(half) and then reduced my AVR volume to get 85 db in my MLP. I know I'm doing some mistakes here, but need some advice here.

2. When using ASIO 4 All to sub sweeps, the reference level we need to verify is 75 db or 85 db for Sub gain MLP ?

3. After applying minidsp PEQ, i can hear very less bass in my system, so for better understanding, i have raised the gain 5 db step and took four different measurements and applied PEQ. It means 75, 80, 85, 90 db with 4 PEQ 's and applied one by one to see the difference. Of course the bass management had some improvements, but i'm not convinced with this method, as other freq sounds are not as expected when I did this. It sounds bit odd.Also when i was applying different PEQ's, i didn't redone the YAPO.

4. Over all I saw improvement with no boomy bass. But still need to understand how to get the punchy bass and crispy one.

I need more advice on reference level volume settings on AVR , sweep level settings in REW.
I think i'm not getting 75db for subs and other speakers.

Your guide is really great, but still i have above questions.

I will do more experimentation soon and posts lots of plots.

BR
JIJI N K
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Before and after minidsp PEQ.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	222.7 KB
ID:	2701226  
post #28929 of 28999 Old 03-24-2020, 06:51 AM

Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Just curious, given the ease of use with the HDMI interface, what advantages do you see using your USB DAC?
well, most of the time I just listen to stereo via usb dac (pc to oppo 205) so there's simply no place to hdmi interface with all its gimmicks and limitations. sometimes when I want to listen to mch/upmix I can utilize hdmi connection to AVR but most of the time I simply do not need it

Parasound Halo Integrated, Pioneer SC-LX 901, Oppo-205, Revel F208 + Heco Aurora Center 30 + Heco Victa Prime 202, Takstar HF 580
post #28930 of 28999 Old 03-24-2020, 08:08 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Hi all,

I have been building my first home theater. It is a 5.1.4 system (Q Acoustics 3000i series) with Denon X3600H as the AVR. I also did some REW measurements with the following results (please, see the attached images). The measurements have been done with Denon room correction (Audussey XT32) enabled.

About the room and some general facts:
- Concrete all around (floor, 3 walls and the ceiling).
- Left side is open to the dining room and to other parts of the apartment.
- Right side is almost fully covered with windows.
- Room measurements: please see the attached picture. The height of the room is about 8.3ft / 2.5m.
- No room treatment done yet. However, I have considered getting some attenuation material/panels to the back wall.
- MLP is about 2.25ft / 0.7m from the back wall.
- Crossover frequency is 80hz, all speakers but subwoofer set to small.
- There is a very noticeable echo if one, for example, claps his hands.
- The background noice level is very high as I live in the city centre. Almost 60dB.
- I am quite novice in audio but have noticed that the audio quality is nowhere near the quality that was in a local speakers store that I visited recently.
- I am mainly using the system for movies and TV series. Quite seldom I use it for music.

About the REW measurements:
- Please, see the attached pictures.
- No smoothing applied to the pictures.
- The REW measurements data can be found from: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1WSf...ew?usp=sharing

Some questions regarding the measurements:
- In general, how does the SPL and Waterfall measurements look like?
- There is quite a large dip around the crossover frequency of 80hz. Are there some general ways to iprove these?
- In your opinion, would attenuation panels on the back wall help producing considerably better audio response?
- Any general comments or suggestions?

Any help and comments are very much appreciated, thank you!

Kind regards,
Kari
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	HomeTheatre.png
Views:	43
Size:	37.3 KB
ID:	2701230   Click image for larger version

Name:	SPL_15-300_20200322.png
Views:	56
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	2701232   Click image for larger version

Name:	SPL_15-20000_20200322.png
Views:	44
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	2701234   Click image for larger version

Name:	Waterfall_20200322.png
Views:	46
Size:	865.2 KB
ID:	2701236  
post #28931 of 28999 Old 03-24-2020, 09:14 AM
** Man of Leisure **

Quote:
Originally Posted by RuatoTre View Post
Hi all,

I have been building my first home theater. It is a 5.1.4 system (Q Acoustics 3000i series) with Denon X3600H as the AVR. I also did some REW measurements with the following results (please, see the attached images). The measurements have been done with Denon room correction (Audussey XT32) enabled.

About the room and some general facts:
- Concrete all around (floor, 3 walls and the ceiling).
- Left side is open to the dining room and to other parts of the apartment.
- Right side is almost fully covered with windows.
- Room measurements: please see the attached picture. The height of the room is about 8.3ft / 2.5m.
- No room treatment done yet. However, I have considered getting some attenuation material/panels to the back wall.
- MLP is about 2.25ft / 0.7m from the back wall.
- Crossover frequency is 80hz, all speakers but subwoofer set to small.
- There is a very noticeable echo if one, for example, claps his hands.
- The background noice level is very high as I live in the city centre. Almost 60dB.
- I am quite novice in audio but have noticed that the audio quality is nowhere near the quality that was in a local speakers store that I visited recently.
- I am mainly using the system for movies and TV series. Quite seldom I use it for music.

About the REW measurements:
- Please, see the attached pictures.
- No smoothing applied to the pictures.
- The REW measurements data can be found from: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1WSf...ew?usp=sharing

Some questions regarding the measurements:
- In general, how does the SPL and Waterfall measurements look like?
- There is quite a large dip around the crossover frequency of 80hz. Are there some general ways to iprove these?
- In your opinion, would attenuation panels on the back wall help producing considerably better audio response?
- Any general comments or suggestions?

Any help and comments are very much appreciated, thank you!

Kind regards,
Kari
Starting with the frequency response (measurement 1). The large dip at 80Hz can likely be improved by applying the "sub distance tweak". Vary the sub distance in the AVR by small increments and re-measure, noting whether the changes improve the response in the crossover region.

To assess bass resonance, look at the Spectrogram instead of the water fall. Place the cursor at 450ms. Note where the "plumes" rise above the 450ms line (45Hz, 65Hz, and very bad below 30Hz). Bass taps would help with the 45Hz and 65Hz issues, but the issues below 30Hz are very difficult to eliminate and are not worth the effort.

And finally, to address the echo you hear, look at the ETC measurement, which shows the reflections in the listening room plotted against time. Place the cursor at -20dB. Any of the jagged lines (impulses) that are above the -20dB line represent room reflections that could be addressed with full-range wall treatments, which would lessen the echo sounds you hear.

RuatoTre likes this.
post #28932 of 28999 Old 03-24-2020, 09:23 AM
** Man of Leisure **

Quote:
Originally Posted by jijink View Post
HI Jerry

I have now made some measurements after connecting minidp 2*4.

I have attached the final before and after implementing minidsp PEQ.

While i'm performing the steps, i had some difficulties like below:
1. During gain matching the 2 subs , when i make the Master volume to reference level to (0) (IN my Yamaha it is +15 to -80) i have to make the gain knobs of my two subs to nearly zero close to 1 in the dials (10 available dials) and then only i can hear approx 85 db in MLP. So what i did was make both sub gain to 5(half) and then reduced my AVR volume to get 85 db in my MLP. I know I'm doing some mistakes here, but need some advice here.

2. When using ASIO 4 All to sub sweeps, the reference level we need to verify is 75 db or 85 db for Sub gain MLP ?

3. After applying minidsp PEQ, i can hear very less bass in my system, so for better understanding, i have raised the gain 5 db step and took four different measurements and applied PEQ. It means 75, 80, 85, 90 db with 4 PEQ 's and applied one by one to see the difference. Of course the bass management had some improvements, but i'm not convinced with this method, as other freq sounds are not as expected when I did this. It sounds bit odd.Also when i was applying different PEQ's, i didn't redone the YAPO.

4. Over all I saw improvement with no boomy bass. But still need to understand how to get the punchy bass and crispy one.

I need more advice on reference level volume settings on AVR , sweep level settings in REW.
I think i'm not getting 75db for subs and other speakers.

Your guide is really great, but still i have above questions.

I will do more experimentation soon and posts lots of plots.

BR
JIJI N K
I think the sub response after applying PEQ looks pretty good above 40Hz, but falls off rapidly below 40Hz. The fall-off is present in the measurement without PEQ as well. I think a sub should have relatively flat response down to 15Hz (see attachment). Not sure why your sub(s) are not extending that far. If you want punchy bass, you should consider adding more subs, or replacing the one you have.

I am not understanding your issue with the sub level.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	4 subs.png
Views:	47
Size:	32.2 KB
ID:	2701300  
post #28933 of 28999 Old 03-24-2020, 02:11 PM

Liked: 7
Quote:
Starting with the frequency response (measurement 1). The large dip at 80Hz can likely be improved by applying the "sub distance tweak". Vary the sub distance in the AVR by small increments and re-measure, noting whether the changes improve the response in the crossover region.

Thank for the very fast and informative reply!
AustinJerry likes this.
post #28934 of 28999 Old 03-25-2020, 01:28 AM

Quote:
I think the sub response after applying PEQ looks pretty good above 40Hz, but falls off rapidly below 40Hz. The fall-off is present in the measurement without PEQ as well. I think a sub should have relatively flat response down to 15Hz (see attachment). Not sure why your sub(s) are not extending that far. If you want punchy bass, you should consider adding more subs, or replacing the one you have.

HI Jerry

Yes , could be my Sub's issue.

Do you have any suggestion for decent sub woofer(10 or 12 inch) which i can look for?

During gain matching my sub following the minidsp 2*4 guideline, i have have some issues and i have the following clarificaions:

1. Did i need to set my AVR master volume to zero(i have +15 to -80)?

2.Did i need to set the AVR subwoofer trim to zero or subwoofer level adjustment to zero in AVR?

3. What is the sweep level in rew i need to have when sending pink noise . Is it -12 dbfs or -30 dbfs?

4. When using ASIO4All, i used HDMI4 , and i have read some where in the guideline this output will have 10 db higher. Does it mean, do i have to tune for 85db instead of 75 db during gain matching?

The reason i'm asking above questions is during gain matching, i made the AVR master volume to zero and subwoofer trim in AVR to zero and sweep from REW is -12dbfs, finally i ended up tuning both sub's gain knob close to 1(from 1 to 10 scale) which is too much lower gain to achieve 75db. So i suspect i'm doing some thing wrong. In short i'm not able to tune 75db while gain matching.

If you still don't understand my issues , i will try to explain with example next time.

BR
JJJI N K
post #28935 of 28999 Old 03-25-2020, 07:34 AM
** Man of Leisure **

Quote:
HI Jerry

Yes , could be my Sub's issue.

Do you have any suggestion for decent sub woofer(10 or 12 inch) which i can look for?

During gain matching my sub following the minidsp 2*4 guideline, i have have some issues and i have the following clarificaions:

1. Did i need to set my AVR master volume to zero(i have +15 to -80)?

2.Did i need to set the AVR subwoofer trim to zero or subwoofer level adjustment to zero in AVR?

3. What is the sweep level in rew i need to have when sending pink noise . Is it -12 dbfs or -30 dbfs?

4. When using ASIO4All, i used HDMI4 , and i have read some where in the guideline this output will have 10 db higher. Does it mean, do i have to tune for 85db instead of 75 db during gain matching?

The reason i'm asking above questions is during gain matching, i made the AVR master volume to zero and subwoofer trim in AVR to zero and sweep from REW is -12dbfs, finally i ended up tuning both sub's gain knob close to 1(from 1 to 10 scale) which is too much lower gain to achieve 75db. So i suspect i'm doing some thing wrong. In short i'm not able to tune 75db while gain matching.

If you still don't understand my issues , i will try to explain with example next time.

BR
JJJI N K
I am still a little confused. The term “gain matching” refers to adjusting the output of multiple subs so that each sub is producing the same output level when measuring with the mic placed immediately in front of each sub’s dust cap. From your post, it is unclear whether you have more than one sub. After gain matching multiple subs, the combined level from all subs needs to reach the proper level when measured with the mic placed in the MLP. The “proper level” is typically 75dB. This is the level Audyssey expects when running a calibration.

When I gain match my four subs, I use the speaker level-setting test tones from the AVR with AVR master volume set to 0. In my setup, a near-field output level for each sub of 95dB produces a combined output level of 75dB at the MLP.

As for recommending a specific make or model sub, I can only say that there are a number of good brands to choose from. And if you want significant output below 40Hz, a 10-12 inch subwoofer may not be large enough. And a single sub rarely achieves the output and flatness that is desirable. For example, I have four 15-inch sealed subs. If you only use one sub, then you should have realistic expectations of what you can achieve.
post #28936 of 28999 Old 03-25-2020, 08:43 AM

Quote:
I am still a little confused. The term “gain matching” refers to adjusting the output of multiple subs so that each sub is producing the same output level when measuring with the mic placed immediately in front of each sub’s dust cap. From your post, it is unclear whether you have more than one sub. After gain matching multiple subs, the combined level from all subs needs to reach the proper level when measured with the mic placed in the MLP. The “proper level” is typically 75dB. This is the level Audyssey expects when running a calibration.

When I gain match my four subs, I use the speaker level-setting test tones from the AVR with AVR master volume set to 0. In my setup, a near-field output level for each sub of 95dB produces a combined output level of 75dB at the MLP.

As for recommending a specific make or model sub, I can only say that there are a number of good brands to choose from. And if you want significant output below 40Hz, a 10-12 inch subwoofer may not be large enough. And a single sub rarely achieves the output and flatness that is desirable. For example, I have four 15-inch sealed subs. If you only use one sub, then you should have realistic expectations of what you can achieve.
HI Jerry

Thanks for the reply.

I have 2 Yamaha 10 inch sub's.

When Gain matching 2 sub's, I have not used receiver pink noise tone(As i don't see an manual option for pink noise generation in my Yamaha RXA 3080), instead i used REW pink noise Generator. I set AVR master volume to Zero while performing the Gain matching and used HDMI 4 output in REW.

So my question was, should i use -18dbfs or -30dbfs level setting in Rew pink noise Generator (So that it will be equal to 75db as an AVR pink noise use to level other speakers to 75 db during an YAPO)?

After i finished my Gain matching of my 2 sub's last time, i ended up setting the Gain knob(see attached pic of sub gain knob) of my 2 sub's to very less gain.

So i'm guessing now, when i use Rew for pink noise i have used higher level in REW generator, so i have to reduce my gains in sub's close to nothing.(This is just my thinking, may be i'm wrong as well).

Hope you understood my issue now.

BR
JIJI N K
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	SC1.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	115.9 KB
ID:	2701576   Click image for larger version

Name:	SC.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	107.7 KB
ID:	2701578  
post #28937 of 28999 Old 03-25-2020, 01:24 PM
** Man of Leisure **

Quote:
HI Jerry

Thanks for the reply.

I have 2 Yamaha 10 inch sub's.

When Gain matching 2 sub's, I have not used receiver pink noise tone(As i don't see an manual option for pink noise generation in my Yamaha RXA 3080), instead i used REW pink noise Generator. I set AVR master volume to Zero while performing the Gain matching and used HDMI 4 output in REW.

So my question was, should i use -18dbfs or -30dbfs level setting in Rew pink noise Generator (So that it will be equal to 75db as an AVR pink noise use to level other speakers to 75 db during an YAPO)?

After i finished my Gain matching of my 2 sub's last time, i ended up setting the Gain knob(see attached pic of sub gain knob) of my 2 sub's to very less gain.

So i'm guessing now, when i use Rew for pink noise i have used higher level in REW generator, so i have to reduce my gains in sub's close to nothing.(This is just my thinking, may be i'm wrong as well).

Hope you understood my issue now.

BR
JIJI N K
Follow the guidelines in the "Using REW to Set or Measure Speaker Levels" section of the REW guide linked in my sig, starting on page 106.

- Set AVR trims to zero
- Set AVR master volume to zero
- Using REW signal generator, set output to -30dBFS "Sub Cal"
- Adjust combined sub level to read 75dB at the MLP>
post #28938 of 28999 Old 03-26-2020, 12:59 AM

Please help.
Hope every one is OK.
We are in lockdown so have time to do some measurements.
Just went to measure and the measurement tab is not highlighted and will not open the measurement panel. Worked fine yesterday when I was changing the mic settings in the preferences.
V5.15 beta 7, yep should update but old computer with only java 7. Also not online. Online computer blew up.

Thanks in advance
post #28939 of 28999 Old 03-26-2020, 02:26 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philips752 View Post
Just went to measure and the measurement tab is not highlighted and will not open the measurement panel. Worked fine yesterday when I was changing the mic settings in the preferences.
V5.15 beta 7, yep should update but old computer with only java 7. Also not online. Online computer blew up.
Make sure the input and output are still selected.
post #28940 of 28999 Old 03-26-2020, 02:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnPM View Post
Quote:
Make sure the input and output are still selected.
Hi John yes it is all selected was ready to do a measurement after all the setup. Have just finished doing a system restore registry and has reappeared. What could that have been?
Thanks
post #28941 of 28999 Old 03-26-2020, 06:33 AM
** Man of Leisure **

Quote:
Hi John yes it is all selected was ready to do a measurement after all the setup. Have just finished doing a system restore registry and has reappeared. What could that have been?
Thanks
Unfortunately, there are all sorts of things that can happen at the Windows level that can affect REW, and they are really not REW issues. As you have learned, inability to open the measurement window usually indicates that either the input or the output device is unavailable, so you will need to learn how to troubleshoot Windows audio settings. Glad you got it working.

Last edited by AustinJerry; 03-26-2020 at 12:58 PM.
post #28942 of 28999 Old 03-26-2020, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Follow the guidelines in the "Using REW to Set or Measure Speaker Levels" section of the REW guide linked in my sig, starting on page 106.

- Set AVR trims to zero
- Set AVR master volume to zero
- Using REW signal generator, set output to -30dBFS "Sub Cal"
- Adjust combined sub level to read 75dB at the MLP>
Perfect thanks Austin.

I will re do my measurements this week both, sub gain settings and rerunning my YAPO after that.

BR
JIJI
post #28943 of 28999 Old 03-26-2020, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Thanks
Unfortunately, three are all sorts of things that can happen at the Windows level that can affect REW, and they are really not REW issues. As you have learned, inability to open the measurement window usually indicates that either the input or the output device is unavailable, so you will need to learn how to troubleshoot Windows audio settings. Glad you got it working.
Hi Austin Jerry thank you, yeah good old Windows, had a few issues in the past in general with Windows.
It is a old XP laptop, HP.
Using a USB mic with headphones out
In the preferences I have selected
Default Device output for both outputs sections.
Input the Omnimic and either Default Device or Microphone for the input section.
Does this sound right to you, using Java.

Thank you
post #28944 of 28999 Old 03-26-2020, 11:40 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:

Wow now that's a awesome flat line.
post #28945 of 28999 Old 03-26-2020, 11:42 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
hello, im from italy, sorry for bad english.
i'm having issue with rew, asio and hdmi.
i have htpc ->hdmi-> marantz 6011.

yesterday asio find hdmi card and recognise 8 channel, but only channel 1 and 2 (front left and right) works for sweeps and measures, the others not

today i tried updating nvidia drivers to the latest but now asio cant find the hdmi card. with java is ok: find marantz.
i tryed everything. intsalling, unistalling, reinstalling asio/rew/old nvidia drivers/flexasio but nothing.

please help me. im getting mad.
post #28946 of 28999 Old 03-26-2020, 11:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Hoping someone can help me out here. I just finished re-calibrating my theater room after a pipe break ruined the ceiling (soundproof dedicated room that had been finished for a year to the day almost of the pipe break).

Anyway I’m using a Marrantz 8802a with Audyssey pro, 2 minidsp HD’s with 4 Danley DTS-10’s two front corners, two back wall 1/3 points) and 2 Devastators in between my LCR on each side.

I’m getting a very good response except at the crossover region. My problem is I can’t do the sub distance tweak in my Marantz, it’s currently setting the subs at 25.2 feet but won’t let me change the sub distance beyond 25.9 feet. It gives me an error if I try and move it beyond that.

Any suggestions?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1014C516-1E1E-4064-8E0B-FEC4226C2B05.jpeg
Views:	17
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	2701956  

post #28947 of 28999 Old 03-26-2020, 01:01 PM
** Man of Leisure **

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeldo View Post
hello, im from italy, sorry for bad english.
i'm having issue with rew, asio and hdmi.
i have htpc ->hdmi-> marantz 6011.

yesterday asio find hdmi card and recognise 8 channel, but only channel 1 and 2 (front left and right) works for sweeps and measures, the others not

today i tried updating nvidia drivers to the latest but now asio cant find the hdmi card. with java is ok: find marantz.
i tryed everything. intsalling, unistalling, reinstalling asio/rew/old nvidia drivers/flexasio but nothing.

please help me. im getting mad.
The latest version of the REW guide linked in my sig has a new section describing FlexASIO as an alternative to ASIO4All. You might want to give it a try to see if it fixes your issues.
post #28948 of 28999 Old 03-26-2020, 01:06 PM
** Man of Leisure **

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcallister View Post
Hoping someone can help me out here. I just finished re-calibrating my theater room after a pipe break ruined the ceiling (soundproof dedicated room that had been finished for a year to the day almost of the pipe break).

Anyway I’m using a Marrantz 8802a with Audyssey pro, 2 minidsp HD’s with 4 Danley DTS-10’s two front corners, two back wall 1/3 points) and 2 Devastators in between my LCR on each side.

I’m getting a very good response except at the crossover region. My problem is I can’t do the sub distance tweak in my Marantz, it’s currently setting the subs at 25.2 feet but won’t let me change the sub distance beyond 25.9 feet. It gives me an error if I try and move it beyond that.

Any suggestions?
Wow, 25ft is a pretty big distance. Is this coming from Audyssey? Do you have an exceptionally large room?

You say you are using two MiniDSP HD’s. I assume you mean 2x4HD’s, correct? Each sub channel on the 2x4HD should have a delay setting. To use the 2x4HD to perform the sub distance tweak, vary each sub delay by the same amount, which will preserve any sub-to-sub timing you may have already set up.
post #28949 of 28999 Old 03-26-2020, 01:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
Wow, 25ft is a pretty big distance. Is this coming from Audyssey? Do you have an exceptionally large room?

You say you are using two MiniDSP HD’s. I assume you mean 2x4HD’s, correct? Each sub channel on the 2x4HD should have a delay setting. To use the 2x4HD to perform the sub distance tweak, vary each sub delay by the same amount, which will preserve any sub-to-sub timing you may have already set up.
Thanks Jerry, correct Audyssey is coming up with that. I think the fact that the Danleys are tapped horns it add a lot to the distance maybe?

Also yep, 2 2x4HD’s. The room is 23.7’x14’ so not huge?

I use your guide to time align the subs, I’ll add distance I. The minidsp’s! Thanks again!

post #28950 of 28999 Old 03-26-2020, 01:54 PM
** Man of Leisure **

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcallister View Post
Thanks Jerry, correct Audyssey is coming up with that. I think the fact that the Danleys are tapped horns it add a lot to the distance maybe?

Also yep, 2 2x4HD’s. The room is 23.7’x14’ so not huge?

I use your guide to time align the subs, I’ll add distance I. The minidsp’s! Thanks again!
Yes, certain characteristics of subs and their electronics can cause some interesting distance results in Audyssey. And you should have plenty of headroom in the 2x4 delay settings to do the sub distance tweak. Just remember to change each setting by the same amount, and you should see some good results.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat

Tags
Dayton , Dayton Audio , Room Equilizer Wizard Rew

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page