Simplified REW Setup and Use (USB Mic & HDMI Connection) Including Measurement Techniques and How To Interpret Graphs - Page 966 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4659Likes

post #28951 of 28972 Old 03-26-2020, 01:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
Wow, 25ft is a pretty big distance. Is this coming from Audyssey? Do you have an exceptionally large room?

You say you are using two MiniDSP HD’s. I assume you mean 2x4HD’s, correct? Each sub channel on the 2x4HD should have a delay setting. To use the 2x4HD to perform the sub distance tweak, vary each sub delay by the same amount, which will preserve any sub-to-sub timing you may have already set up.
Hope this isn’t a stupid question but when I change the delays in my minidsp’s do I also change the one with no delay? I’d assume yes but just making sure.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #28952 of 28972 Old 03-26-2020, 01:59 PM
** Man of Leisure **

Mentioned: 451 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12087 Post(s)
Liked: 7199
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcallister View Post
Hope this isn’t a stupid question but when I change the delays in my minidsp’s do I also change the one with no delay? I’d assume yes but just making sure.
No question is ever stupid. Yes, add or subtract the same amount from all sub distances—this preserves the sub-to-sub time alignment.
mcallister likes this.
post #28953 of 28972 Old 03-26-2020, 02:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
The latest version of the REW guide linked in my sig has a new section describing FlexASIO as an alternative to ASIO4All. You might want to give it a try to see if it fixes your issues.
thank you. i already tryed with your guide and flexasio but i dont understand how to opern "flexaudio control panel".

i have downloaded the installer and loaded it on rew but when i click on "asio panel" it opens a webpage with the instructions. there are other instructions not included in your guide.

EDIT: NOW WORKS WITH FLEXASIO!! THANK YOU DUDE!

Last edited by jeeldo; 03-26-2020 at 02:32 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #28954 of 28972 Old 03-26-2020, 03:26 PM
** Man of Leisure **

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeldo View Post
thank you. i already tryed with your guide and flexasio but i dont understand how to opern "flexaudio control panel".

i have downloaded the installer and loaded it on rew but when i click on "asio panel" it opens a webpage with the instructions. there are other instructions not included in your guide.

EDIT: NOW WORKS WITH FLEXASIO!! THANK YOU DUDE!
Glad it worked for you. I have not used FlexASIO enough to be able to provide troubleshooting help.
post #28955 of 28972 Old 03-26-2020, 07:00 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Hi
Please can someone answer these questions about eq mains only.
This is my process with REW:
Measure both mains combined.
Measure left main
Measure right main
Use Var smoothing in REW.
Eq both combined 20-250hz (same filters for both mains), if there are 1 or more filters that are different in this range I use seperate filters
250hz up seperate filters for left and right speakers, with small Q e.g no more than 3 Q.

Am I on the right track.

Thanks
post #28956 of 28972 Old 03-26-2020, 08:23 PM
** Man of Leisure **

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philips752 View Post
Hi
Measure left main
Measure right main
Eq both combined 20-250hz (same filters for both mains), if there are 1 or more filters that are different in this range I use seperate filters
250hz up seperate filters for left and right speakers, with small Q e.g no more than 3 Q.

Am I on the right track.

Thanks
Just curious, what device are you loading the PEQ into? If the device allows for separate PEQ for left and right channels, then I would measure the left and right speakers independently and develop PEQ for each channel.
post #28957 of 28972 Old 03-26-2020, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Hi
Measure left main
Measure right main

Am I on the right track.

Thanks
Just curious, what device are you loading the PEQ into? If the device allows for separate PEQ for left and right channels, then I would measure the left and right speakers independently and develop PEQ for each channel.
Hi Austin Jerry thank you.
Using Dspeaker Antimode 2.0.
Yes it does allow separate filters. These are in REW.
It has think 16 filters per side, full frequency range on top of automatic filters.
It also has stereo filters so you can load for both channels under one filter slot.
Has four different slots (A, B, C, D) for different curves.
Has other features too.

I am trying to set all manual, just playing to see if I can beat the automatic, although automatic only goes as high as 500hz which is ok.
Has quite a bit in it, not many people play.

Thanks
post #28958 of 28972 Old 03-29-2020, 08:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I am Just getting started with REW using an old MacBook laptop with a Dayton UMM-6 microphone. Is REW supposed to auto detect the microphone? I have downloaded the cal file and added loaded it into REW. I thought I wouldn’t need an SPL calibration, but it seems that it is required? Is this expected? I am using the latest beta of REW and HDMI out to my AVR. I also have an old SPL meter I can use for the SPL calibration so it’s not an issue.

As an aside, I am trying to verify the results Audyssey gave me and if I just want to check things, should I turn off Audyssey dynamic EQ? Anything else is should disable in Audyssey to get a clear idea of what is going on?

Thank you!
post #28959 of 28972 Old 03-29-2020, 09:17 AM
** Man of Leisure **

Quote:
Originally Posted by UMD_Terp View Post
I am Just getting started with REW using an old MacBook laptop with a Dayton UMM-6 microphone. Is REW supposed to auto detect the microphone? I have downloaded the cal file and added loaded it into REW. I thought I wouldn’t need an SPL calibration, but it seems that it is required? Is this expected? I am using the latest beta of REW and HDMI out to my AVR. I also have an old SPL meter I can use for the SPL calibration so it’s not an issue.

As an aside, I am trying to verify the results Audyssey gave me and if I just want to check things, should I turn off Audyssey dynamic EQ? Anything else is should disable in Audyssey to get a clear idea of what is going on?

Thank you!
Missing information:

- Are you using HDMI with ASIO, or the Java drivers?
- Are you using a calibration file with a sensitivity parameter for the UMM-6? (Open the file in a text editor and check for the sensitivity parameter in the first line).
- In REW’s SPL meter, when you click on “Calibrate”, does it say no calibration required? If no, then proceed with mic calibration.

When measuring Audyssey results, one would typically turn off DynamicEQ and Dynamic Volume.
post #28960 of 28972 Old 03-29-2020, 09:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Missing information:

- Are you using HDMI with ASIO, or the Java drivers?
- Are you using a calibration file with a sensitivity parameter for the UMM-6? (Open the file in a text editor and check for the sensitivity parameter in the first line).
- In REW’️s SPL meter, when you click on “Calibrate”, does it say no calibration required? If no, then proceed with mic calibration.

When measuring Audyssey results, one would typically turn off DynamicEQ and Dynamic Volume.
This is on my MacBook and I have not installed any drivers in addition to REW. Under the MIDI Audio setup I’ve enabled 5.1 speakers and those show up in REW enumerated properly.

The cal file for the umm-6 has a “SENS FACTOR” listed on the first line.

REW does not prompt me to say that calibration isn’t required. I’ve tried to cal it with my SPL meter and it seems to get close.

I have dynamic volume disabled but i will disable dynamic EQ as well.

I ran a sweep L+R with dynamic EQ enabled and it seems that the sub is about 10dB hot relative to the mains.

Thank you again for the help!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	90D32FA1-9937-41E1-ABF9-428492BA4824_1585500579617.jpeg
Views:	20
Size:	124.8 KB
ID:	2703118  
post #28961 of 28972 Old 03-29-2020, 02:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

OK I was able to reformat the calibration file that I had for the microphone. The first line in the file was

“SENS FACTOR =-19.132dB, SERNO xxxxx”

followed by the frequency, gain, phase points.

I just changed the first line to read:

Sensitivity -19.132 dBFS

that seemed to do the trick. Now it seems that the SPL is calibrated as indicated by the white numbering in the SPL Meter and I don’t get the message to calibrate SPL when doing a measurement.
post #28962 of 28972 Old 03-29-2020, 03:51 PM
** Man of Leisure **

Quote:
OK I was able to reformat the calibration file that I had for the microphone. The first line in the file was

“SENS FACTOR =-19.132dB, SERNO xxxxx”

followed by the frequency, gain, phase points.

I just changed the first line to read:

Sensitivity -19.132 dBFS

that seemed to do the trick. Now it seems that the SPL is calibrated as indicated by the white numbering in the SPL Meter and I don’t get the message to calibrate SPL when doing a measurement.
Sorry, this make no sense to me. The first line of my calibration file is "Sens Factor =-6.352dB, SERNO: xxx", which is how it came from MiniDSP. When I change the first line to be formatted the way you show and then click the "Calibrate" button, it allows me to calibrate the mic. This means it is not recognizing the sensitivity parameter. So, I don't agree with your findings and you should click on the "Cal Files" tab--there are several boxes for calibration files. Check to see if the old cal file is still in use.

Edit: Check page 46 in the REW guide linked in my sig. BTW, you posted a measurement earlier, and it seemed REW was working properly. What prompted you to change the format of the line with the sensitivity parameter?

Last edited by AustinJerry; 03-29-2020 at 03:59 PM.
post #28963 of 28972 Old 03-29-2020, 08:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Sorry, this make no sense to me. The first line of my calibration file is "Sens Factor =-6.352dB, SERNO: xxx", which is how it came from MiniDSP. When I change the first line to be formatted the way you show and then click the "Calibrate" button, it allows me to calibrate the mic. This means it is not recognizing the sensitivity parameter. So, I don't agree with your findings and you should click on the "Cal Files" tab--there are several boxes for calibration files. Check to see if the old cal file is still in use.

Edit: Check page 46 in the REW guide linked in my sig. BTW, you posted a measurement earlier, and it seemed REW was working properly. What prompted you to change the format of the line with the sensitivity parameter?

I think I found somewhere on the internet where I cam across that syntax... I think REW is working fine, I just wanted to understand why it wasn't recognizing the sensitivity in my original calibration file. I went and deleted the install and all the preferences, re-intstalled, and set the cal file in multiple boxes for the mic but that still doesn't work to get the sensitivity read. From all the instructions I've seen, REW should prompt me that it found a USB microphone and then ask for the calibration file. That is what isn't happening for me. The mic shows up in the drop down menu under preferences, but isn't being auto-detected on start-up.
post #28964 of 28972 Old 03-29-2020, 09:05 PM
** Man of Leisure **

Quote:
I think I found somewhere on the internet where I cam across that syntax... I think REW is working fine, I just wanted to understand why it wasn't recognizing the sensitivity in my original calibration file. I went and deleted the install and all the preferences, re-intstalled, and set the cal file in multiple boxes for the mic but that still doesn't work to get the sensitivity read. From all the instructions I've seen, REW should prompt me that it found a USB microphone and then ask for the calibration file. That is what isn't happening for me. The mic shows up in the drop down menu under preferences, but isn't being auto-detected on start-up.
The point I made in my previous post is that your modified syntax is not correct. Re-download the file from the Dayton Audio web site to see what the correct syntax is. And REW does not always prompt fro a mic calibration file if one is already configured. Regardless, if you are confident REW is working properly, all is good.
post #28965 of 28972 Old 03-29-2020, 09:53 PM

Hi please help me set-up on a old computer XP laptop, very low powered.

Sorry can't post photos.

Mic is a Omnimic V2
Java 7 installed
REW V5. 15 beta 7

Problem is get inconsistent on the low frequencies, also headroom only gets to 26db ish when measurement is taken with these settings. Check levels only produce 38ish dbFS on the input.

Preferences:
Sample Rate 48khz
Output Device = Conexant AMC Audio
Output = Speaker Left
Buffer = 32
Ticked box Control output mixer/volume
Output volume 0.631
Sweep level - 12.0

Input Device = Omnimic
Input = Microphone Left
Buffer = 32
Ticked box = Control input mixer /volume
Input volume 0.750

Is the buffer ok?

Thanks in advance

Last edited by Philips752; Yesterday at 01:24 AM. Reason: Add data
post #28966 of 28972 Old Yesterday, 04:16 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 159
Quote:
The dBFS format for sensitivity data is for analog mics, it does not take account of input volume setting so is probably resulting in incorrect readings with the UMM-6. Please attach a copy of the file REW generates when you use the Generate debug file button on the soundcard preferences.
post #28967 of 28972 Old Yesterday, 05:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnPM View Post
The dBFS format for sensitivity data is for analog mics, it does not take account of input volume setting so is probably resulting in incorrect readings with the UMM-6. Please attach a copy of the file REW generates when you use the Generate debug file button on the soundcard preferences.
I went back to the original calibration file I downloaded. The debug file is attached to this message. Thanks for the help!
Attached Files
File Type: txt soundcard_debug.txt (23.1 KB, 6 views)
post #28968 of 28972 Old Yesterday, 06:20 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 159
Quote:
I went back to the original calibration file I downloaded. The debug file is attached to this message. Thanks for the help!
The format of the mic name in the mixer list is the problem, it appears as "UMM_6" instead of "UMM-6". I'll make a change to recognise both versions for the next beta.
post #28969 of 28972 Old Yesterday, 06:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnPM View Post
The format of the mic name in the mixer list is the problem, it appears as "UMM_6" instead of "UMM-6". I'll make a change to recognise both versions for the next beta.
Cool! Thank you!
post #28970 of 28972 Old Yesterday, 06:56 AM
** Man of Leisure **

Quote:

Sorry can't post photos.

Mic is a Omnimic V2
Java 7 installed
REW V5. 15 beta 7

Problem is get inconsistent on the low frequencies, also headroom only gets to 26db ish when measurement is taken with these settings. Check levels only produce 38ish dbFS on the input.

Preferences:
Sample Rate 48khz
Output = Speaker Left
Buffer = 32
Output volume 0.631
Sweep level - 12.0

Input Device = Omnimic
Input = Microphone Left
Buffer = 32
Input volume 0.750

Is the buffer ok?

Thanks in advance
Sorry, it is difficult to provide guidance for your setup. You are using an operating system that is no longer supported. REW v5.15 beta 7 is not the current version. You are using a mic different from what most of us are using. And it is difficult to troubleshoot issues with the Java drivers when many of us have been using the HDMI interface for quite a while.

Did you calibrate the mic?
post #28971 of 28972 Old Yesterday, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Quote:

Sorry can't post photos.

Mic is a Omnimic V2
Java 7 installed
REW V5. 15 beta 7

Preferences:
Sample Rate 48khz
Output = Speaker Left
Buffer = 32
Output volume 0.631
Sweep level - 12.0

Input Device = Omnimic
Input = Microphone Left
Buffer = 32
Input volume 0.750

Is the buffer ok?

Thanks in advance
Sorry, it is difficult to provide guidance for your setup. You are using an operating system that is no longer supported. REW v5.15 beta 7 is not the current version. You are using a mic different from what most of us are using. And it is difficult to troubleshoot issues with the Java drivers when many of us have been using the HDMI interface for quite a while.

Did you calibrate the mic?

Hi Austin Jerry mic is calibrated with the sens value.
post #28972 of 28972 Old Yesterday, 12:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 604 Post(s)
Liked: 1337
Okay, so I finally got around to rerunning sweeps & room calibration (THANKS RONA!! ) after replacing the drivers in my CC, and was wondering what y'all would suggest as far as EQ'ing this sub measurement.

I'm attaching the Post Audy sweep and a compresssion sweep for reference.

Thanks for any/all help,

Darrell
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Post Audy No Smoothing.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	2703554   Click image for larger version

Name:	Compression Sweeps No Smoothing.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	109.1 KB
ID:	2703556  

"Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken." - Tyler Durden

Living Room - Denon AVR-X2400H/MiniDSP 2X4HD/Hsu Research HB-1 Bookshelf (4) w/HC-1 Center/SVS PB12 Plus (1)/Samsung UN65H7150/Sony UBP-X800/PC Built by D-Rail/XBox One S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat

Tags
Dayton , Dayton Audio , Room Equilizer Wizard Rew

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page