Does LFE belong in a stereo downmix? - Page 4 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 9Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #91 of 96 Old 01-10-2020, 03:18 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
sivadselim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Nashvegas
Posts: 16,678
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked: 433
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirMaster View Post
Correct, it's silence from the sub when I configure the processor as 2.1 and set the fronts as LARGE.

Only for TrueHD/Atmos. The LFE track always plays in DD and DTS.

I had a friend confirm this on his own on his Denon as well.

What is your source device? An actual disc player or not?

Because those downloaded test files are suspect. Both the actual source files and how you might be playing them back.

"All men are frauds. The only difference between them is that some admit it. I myself deny it."
sivadselim is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #92 of 96 Old 01-10-2020, 03:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
SirMaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 1,084
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 921 Post(s)
Liked: 595
Quote:
Originally Posted by sivadselim View Post
What is your source device? An actual disc player or not?
For me a PC set up with bit-streaming. But the friend used an Oppo with the test file on a USB drive.

I just provided those an example. What's suspect about them?

I have used the tests from the Dolby test discs given out at CEDIA.
SirMaster is online now  
post #93 of 96 Old 01-10-2020, 03:22 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
sivadselim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Nashvegas
Posts: 16,678
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked: 433
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirMaster View Post
For me a PC set up with bit-streaming. But the friend used an Oppo with the test file on a USB drive.

I would want to know what happens at the subwoofer when you use a disc player and a legit TrueHD encoded disc with the AVR configured for 2.1, speakers set to LARGE and disconnected.

Because those downloaded test files are suspect. Both the actual source files and how you might be playing them back.

"All men are frauds. The only difference between them is that some admit it. I myself deny it."
sivadselim is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #94 of 96 Old 01-10-2020, 03:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
SirMaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 1,084
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 921 Post(s)
Liked: 595
The way that this whole phenomenon was first noticed is that one of my friends runs a split HDMI signal into a separate Denon AVR just to run his bass shakers from the LFE output.

He had the Denon configured as 2.1 as it doesn't support turning off the L/R.

He noticed that when playing TrueHD/Atmos movies that his bass shakers never moved. And when turning on either the center or surround channels in the Denon, then they worked correctly.


After that we started testing and it was clear that the LFE channel does not play unless the center or surround channels are enabled.


I can't fulfill your request personally as I rip all my movies (lossless remux) and play from a PC. I'm sure someone can though. That's why I brought this up here. I was hoping someone else can test this and provide additional data points.


There is nothing suspect about the way I am playing my content. You can't mess with a TrueHD track, its a proprietary encoded format, and I am bit-streaming it to the AVR meaning the AVR correctly sees it and unpacks it. If the signal was sent incorrectly to the AVR it wont lock onto it at all or it will come through as static.

You can also inspect a TrueHD track and verify that it has audio data in the individual channels which the files on that website most certainly do.

Last edited by SirMaster; 01-10-2020 at 03:32 PM.
SirMaster is online now  
post #95 of 96 Old 01-10-2020, 03:39 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
sivadselim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Nashvegas
Posts: 16,678
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked: 433
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirMaster View Post
The way that this whole phenomenon was first noticed is that one of my friends runs a split HDMI signal into a separate Denon AVR just to run his bass shakers from the LFE output.

He had the Denon configured as 2.1 as it doesn't support turning off the L/R.

He noticed that when playing TrueHD/Atmos movies that his bass shakers never moved. And when turning on either the center or surround channels in the Denon, then they worked correctly.


After that we started testing and it was clear that the LFE channel does not play unless the center or surround channels are enabled.


I can't fulfill your request personally as I rip all my movies (lossless remux) and play from a PC. I'm sure someone can though. That's why I brought this up here. I was hoping someone else can test this and provide additional data points.


There is nothing suspect about the way I am playing my content. You can't mess with a TrueHD track, its a proprietary encoded format, and I am bit-streaming it to the AVR meaning the AVR correctly sees it and unpacks it. If the signal was sent incorrectly to the AVR it wont lock onto it at all or it will come through as static.

You can also inspect a TrueHD track and verify that it has audio data in the individual channels which the files on that website most certainly do.


I do not necessarily doubt that you are correct. Please do not take it personally. But when doing these sorts of assessments you have to be very careful to be very scientific (i.e. skeptical) and 'cover all the bases' (or basses ). It is VERY easy to be mislead into making assumptions or conclusions that are incorrect.

Unfortunately I am still not hirez codec capable else I am sure I would know how my (imaginary ) equipment behaves.

"All men are frauds. The only difference between them is that some admit it. I myself deny it."
sivadselim is offline  
post #96 of 96 Old 01-10-2020, 07:01 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Roger Dressler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Oregon
Posts: 11,655
Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3077 Post(s)
Liked: 1833
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirMaster View Post
For me a PC set up with bit-streaming. But the friend used an Oppo with the test file on a USB drive.

I just provided those an example. What's suspect about them?

I have used the tests from the Dolby test discs given out at CEDIA.
If your friend can play the test signal with internal decoding to PCM rather than bitstream, and the Denon AVR in 2.1 mode then presents the LFE, that sorta confirms Denon's decoder for 2.1 mode is just taking the expedient 2-ch downmix route, rather than decoding to 5.1 and downmixing.

OTOH, if the PCM also produces no LFE sound, it looks like Denon is taking a specific position on how best to present in a stereo configuration -- sans LFE.

Deadwood II Theater (Previous Deadwood Theater HTOM)
Anthem AVM 60 7.4.4; Classé SSP-800 PLIIx 7.4; MiniDSP OpenDRC-AN
Oppo UDP-203; Oppo BDP-93; Win10 media PC w/Roon+Kodi; Roku Ultra; DirecTV Genie
Adam Audio S3V/S3H LCR, KEF Ci200QS 4 srrnd, Tannoy Di6 DC 4 hts, Hsu ULS-15 4 subs
JVC RS520; Stewart Cima Neve screen 125" diag 2.35:1, MLP at 115"
Roger Dressler is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off