Question about quad sub placement vs bass trap placement. - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 25 Old 11-19-2013, 09:55 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Planning on starting my build soon and still working out some of the details of plan.

Room is as follows.

lcu2.jpg
ttmx.jpg

This will be a DIY build. planning on treatment for the rooms and part of this plan includes treating the entire wall behind false screen wall.

I lifted this pic from Jkasanic in the REW thread as an illustration of the direction I am going for that wall.

k0iy.jpg

Now my question lies in the fact that I have built 4 sealed 18" Stereo integrity subs. and so far plan on placing one in each corner. I will be using REW and taking measurements then treating the room as needed .

Which takes priority when planning a room? The corner bass trap or the sub placement.?

Ultimately I could cut the bottom chunk out of the bass traps and slide the subs in there but, do you then still lose the benefits to the corner trap.

I know much of this is always of matter of there is no free lunch but is there a general rule on which takes priority?

Sony HW50ES | Denon X4000 | Rocket RS850s | Rocket RS200 | Rocket RS750s | Rocket RS250s | Quad Stereo integrity 18" d4 sealed subs | Inuke nu46000 | MiniDSP | Oppo 103D

My Build https://www.avsforum.com/t/1510721/the-bass-for-the-98-diy-build
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 11-19-2013, 03:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 1482
4 subs in corner will give you flat response at multiple seats. Actually the mid room is better than corners, however most can't do that due to doors.

Those bass traps will reduce modal ringing.

I'd go with the 4 subs over the full bass traps, you still have lots of bass trap doing as you show.

If modal ringing still too high, you can add rear corner and ceiling bass traps afterward.

Via my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk
post #3 of 25 Old 11-19-2013, 09:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 537 Post(s)
Liked: 382
25/75% of room width on front and back walls is a great option, flatter than all corners. Benefit of four corners is the boost it gives to sub output (6dB per sub!).

Want to learn about home theater design and acoustics? Read our blog.
Company: Acoustic Frontiers - design and creation of high performance home theaters for discerning audio/video enthusiasts.
Certifications: HAA Level I & II, THX Video Level I & II, CEDIA EST I & II.
AVS Projects: Too many to show in my signature - see here for the master list.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 Old 11-19-2013, 09:58 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Quoted: 6963 Post(s)
Liked: 5938
It's not an either/or situation. Use the subwoofer placement Nyal described to smoothen out the frequency response across the seating area. Use absorption/traps to reduce long decay/reverberation time.

Sanjay
post #5 of 25 Old 11-19-2013, 10:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyal Mellor View Post

25/75% of room width on front and back walls is a great option, flatter than all corners. Benefit of four corners is the boost it gives to sub output (6dB per sub!).

Excellent I will try this in my room along with the corners and compare the flat vs higher spl.

I have tried to find a copy of Toole's white paper on sub placement. Apparently it discusses quad sub placement, and gives what they considered the 3best placement options for 4 subs. Would be curious if any one knows what they were. I imagine mid wall on all 4 walls( or perhaps I half remember reading that was one of the options given. )

Sony HW50ES | Denon X4000 | Rocket RS850s | Rocket RS200 | Rocket RS750s | Rocket RS250s | Quad Stereo integrity 18" d4 sealed subs | Inuke nu46000 | MiniDSP | Oppo 103D

post #6 of 25 Old 11-20-2013, 03:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Here is a visual to the multiple sub placement, your room layout seems to favor corner placement, as it's an open room - multi use space.

Have fun!
post #7 of 25 Old 11-20-2013, 04:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 195
IMO do floor to ceiling traps as planned.

Get the subs as close as you can to the corner with traps in place.

It should be close enough for the frequencies of interest.

I would even fire the subs into the traps getting the cones as close to the corner as possible should clean up any harmonics above the passband of the sub and get the acoustic center as close to the corner as possible.
post #8 of 25 Old 11-20-2013, 08:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Malix;
When you make your front wall corner bass traps, I suggest the following:
-use pink fluffy, not OC703/705, for deep traps gas flow resistivity becomes a factor, and pink fluffy is better
(I did NOT know this back in 2011, and used material slightly too dense, if I ever want to improve my modal ringing I'd take that material out and use pink fluffy)
-put a corner brace 36" up like I did, this allows you to have option of sub below it or not, see link below and picts for reference:
https://www.avsforum.com/t/1312693/diy-construction-methods-of-hang-able-acoustic-panels-not-fixed-frames/90#post_20588838
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbdudex View Post

A quick re-cap on my Front wall corner superchunk with "green" material, these were built 4/2011 thru 6/2011...slow but steady:

Cutting lots and lots of 24" x 24" x 34" triangles....nice to have non-itchy stuff.

Made a mid-support from 3/4" OSB to hold 2/3's of them 36" off the floor.

I did this as part of my front fabric mounting strategy as mid-support of the drywall corner edging and also just in case I ever wanted to tuck a sub there for whatever reason.

Top ones stacked, this is how it was for the 5/14 HEMI meet.

Post meet work, I realized the front wall speaker wires and side wall subwoofer coax needed to be moved....when building the HT I did not know about bass traps.

Cut and re-locate to 29" from the corner....use scrap wood as [URL=http:/mud/paint....everything]backer....tape/mud/paint....everything[/URL] takes time.....

Instead of making a fabric frame, I used drywall corner edge and wrapped the fabric behind that.

Bend them from 90deg to 45deg by hand, went ok.

Also, used kraft paper to reflect mid/hi freq like my other bass traps, just cut and tuck tight.

The fabric was cut with 4" extra top/bottom, and 2.5" each side.

Initially I pinned the top for hanging, then tucked that under the ceiling.

Used plastic putty knife to tuck the sides.

I designed the drywall edge to be 1/8" off the wall, and then tucked the fabric behind that and the cut triangles.

A decent friction fit that stretched taught.

Done and absorbing some of those reflecting LFE!

This method was easy to do, an alternative to making the fabric frame and mounting that.

Yes, I took measurements and will post them.

2nd row is almost deal flat across the LFE zone, 1st row not as good.

I also did freq listening of sub test tones with the RS db meter to grasp the chart to real life, a worthwhile thing to do, helps tie graphs to sound.
post #9 of 25 Old 11-20-2013, 06:42 PM - Thread Starter

Killer MTB.. ! Thanks for the info.

I have been thinking about making larger Bass traps and going pink fluffy in them.. so I appreciate your ideas on that subject. I had also seen someone place a sub under their trap, but didnt remember who...Turns out it was you.!! I think I may do the same thing with a soffit style trap..filled with pink fluffy..

thanks again for all the documentation:D

post #10 of 25 Old 12-05-2013, 06:08 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:

Here is a visual to the multiple sub placement, your room layout seems to favor corner placement, as it's an open room - multi use space.

Have fun!

The subwoofer forum recommended that I go with 3 Rythmik FV15HP's for a 16 X 27 X 9. The concept of an odd number makes me a little uneasy...and I never see setups for 3 subs. Any thoughts on this?

JVC RS600 | Dual PSA V3600i | Denon X6300H | Klipsch THX Ultra 2 | CDT-5800-C II Atmos | Oppo UDP-203
post #11 of 25 Old 12-05-2013, 08:05 AM

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Quoted: 3140 Post(s)
Liked: 3099
Note 1 is also an odd number. smile.gif

Typical locations I have seen/heard are three across the front, one centered in the front or rear and the other two placed one at each side of the listening position, or two in the front (or rear) corners and the single sub centered behind the listening position.

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
post #12 of 25 Old 12-05-2013, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonH50 View Post

Haha!....great point!:)

JVC RS600 | Dual PSA V3600i | Denon X6300H | Klipsch THX Ultra 2 | CDT-5800-C II Atmos | Oppo UDP-203
post #13 of 25 Old 12-05-2013, 09:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romans828 View Post

Quote:

Have fun!
The subwoofer forum recommended that I go with 3 Rythmik FV15HP's for a 16 X 27 X 9. The concept of an odd number makes me a little uneasy...and I never see setups for 3 subs. Any thoughts on this?

The Harmon paper simulation was done using same subs, and Todd Welti found those placements as best starting guides.
-idealized with all 4 side walls having same characteristics
Read this, it's pretty easy to grasp http://www.harman.com/EN-US/OurCompany/Innovation/Documents/White%20Papers/multsubs.pdf

Reality is some basement HT is placed in 2 corner concrete outside wall, and 2 inside wall is stick construction, etc.
>>Measurement always dictate where to place, after starting from some best practice or room layout constraints

Why 3? Why not 2 to start, then measure and see if you need more.
What is your room layout, how can you locate your subs?

For me, my IB sub line array could only go into the RH side, ideally I'd like 2 line arrays symmetrically placed on my front wall for smoothing the bass modes, can't in my situation, hence I also have 3.

Here is method I followed:
Layout:

Quote:

Typical locations I have seen/heard are three across the front, one centered in the front or rear and the other two placed one at each side of the listening position, or two in the front (or rear) corners and the single sub centered behind the listening position.

Hi Don, I'm sure the variety is endless, and each solution works for that room/sub interaction.

Room layout/geometry is the real world variable in where the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, etc sub is placed.
Either by the symmetric method of Todd W - which will tend to add same subs in pairs, or the main sub + helper sub method by Markus M, where it's 1 + alpha + beta + gamma etc.
>>Key is measurements needs to be used for adding subs, there is no single solution
post #14 of 25 Old 12-05-2013, 09:54 AM

Quote:

The Harmon paper simulation was done using same subs, and Todd Welti found those placements as best starting guides.
Read this, it's pretty easy to grasp http://www.harman.com/EN-US/OurCompany/Innovation/Documents/White%20Papers/multsubs.pdf

Reality is some basement HT is placed in 2 corner concrete outside wall, and 2 inside wall is stick construction, etc.
>>Measurement always dictate where to place, after starting from some best practice or room layout constraints

For me, my IB sub line array could only go into the RH side, ideally I'd like 2 line arrays symmetrically placed on my front wall for smoothing the bass modes, can't in my situation, hence I also have 3.

Layout:

Hi Don, I'm sure the variety is endless, and each solution works for that room/sub interaction.

Room layout/geometry is the real world variable in where the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, etc sub is placed.
Either by the symmetric method of Todd W - which will tend to add same subs in pairs, or the main sub + helper sub method by Markus M, where it's 1 + alpha + beta + gamma etc.
>>Key is measurements needs to be used for adding subs, there is no single solution

Quote:

Layout:

We are going to be building a house with a dedicated theater room. I would like to design the room so that the subs and speakers are hidden....so I won't be able to move them around much once they are in place. Below is the theater portion of the house plan. We will probably need to move the seats back a bit so that they aren't in the center of the room.

LEAD Technologies Inc. V1.01

post #15 of 25 Old 12-05-2013, 10:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romans828 View Post

We are going to be building a house with a dedicated theater room. I would like to design the room so that the subs and speakers are hidden....so I won't be able to move them around much once they are in place. Below is the theater portion of the house plan. We will probably need to move the seats back a bit so that they aren't in the center of the room.
LEAD Technologies Inc. V1.01

Start a build thread in the Dedicated Home Theatre and Construction forum, you will get great response/support there for so many items.

Read the sticky's there also.
The "what I would do differently" is a great one.

btw, I see you are new Oct-2013, welcome to AVS.
post #16 of 25 Old 12-05-2013, 11:08 AM

Yes, Thank you! It is going to be a bit before we start building. We have just bought the land and are getting the house plans drawn up. I'm trying plan/budget as much as possible now.

post #17 of 25 Old 12-05-2013, 12:29 PM

Don't forget isolation if at all possible if you are building a dedicated room. I built my media room using Kinetics IsoClips and a dedicated HVAC (minisplit) unit to isolate the room from the house.

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
post #18 of 25 Old 12-05-2013, 12:36 PM

Quote:

Don't forget isolation if at all possible if you are building a dedicated room. I built my media room using Kinetics IsoClips and a dedicated HVAC (minisplit) unit to isolate the room from the house.

Is this important for sound quality in the room....or just to keep the sound from creeping into the rest of the house? This room will be over the garage and you will have to go through a lobby area with an additional door to enter. I'm hoping that will help. 

post #19 of 25 Old 12-05-2013, 12:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

+1 on what Don said, sound isolation will lower your noise floor, allowing you more dynamic range and actually lower volume listening levels.

I'd also add consider planning for IB sub up front, built into front baffle wall at 1/4 wave length. Sorta what JapanDave did.

Via my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk
Romans828 likes this.
post #20 of 25 Old 12-06-2013, 08:44 AM

Sound, especially bass, transmits through connected walls pretty well. It will also radiate outside. I'd isolate for you and your neighbors. It is much easier to do it from the start than add later. As for in-room benefits, it also isolates the room from external noise, as implied by mtbdudex's post (lower noise floor).
Romans828 likes this.

post #21 of 25 Old 12-06-2013, 09:17 AM

Thanks....I appreciate the information!

post #22 of 25 Old 02-03-2014, 10:07 PM - Thread Starter

Resurrecting this thread as I have Started my build and am getting close to installing bass trapping in the room.. With regard to a few issues I hoped to address before putting in the bass traps I have the following questions.

preface: I am bulding my room and have purchased a mic and downloaded rew, but have not measured anything as my room is not capable ;of housing my equipment rack as of yet.. Erroring on the side of " you cant have too much bass trapping". I have decided to Build the following bass trapping into the room, knowing adjustments may/will be made down the road to my treatments..

1. Front wall. 24" wide by 36" deep columns on left and right corners. traps filled with pink fluffy insulation starting just above corner loaded subs and extending to ceiling. wrapped in 6 mil poly then GOM
fabric.Then along cieling/ front wall corner will do 9" high x 24" deep trap going from left to right. again pink fluffy, 6 mil etc. I can do this higher than 9" if needed. ( All similar to image a begining of this thread only not using triangular oc703 styale. traps but rectangular pionk fluffy ones instead.

2. Soffit bass traps along sides- 9" highX 24" wide

3".soffit bass trap- rear. 9" high x 36" wide.

Question 1. re side soffits. The left side soffit loses the bass trap cavity due to the shape of my room about half way along that soffit. ( you can see this in the picture of my Sketchup design. Where the rack is located and back the soffit no longer has the cavity.) This creates assymetry in the soffit bass traps for the left vs right sides of the room.. Should i still go ahead and fill these cavities with insulation and disregard the assymetry? or are there reasons to forego this.

Question 2. For front wall column corner traps. I have the option of wrapping these now with 6 mil poly to preserve some high/mid freqs. Should I err on the side of preserving those frequencies or a dead front wall . Perhaps 36" depth pink fluffy absorption necessitates 6 mil poly to not suck out too much hi/mid frequencies?

Question 3. aside from the obvious fact that i wont be measuring the room before doing all this.. can anyone see any blatant issues with the proposed broadband trapping scheme?

I am building everything to be readily reversible/removable. all fabric panels will be easily removable to allow access to front wall and soffit cavities. I know its best to measure 1st then treat. but i am going with the quad corner subs/ lots of broadband trapping instead to try and get a decent response from the get go.. will measure as soon as I can but wanted to close up the soffits now and tweak more later..

My Build thread here..https://www.avsforum.com/t/1510721/the-bass-for-the-98-diy-build

And as always thank you to all in advance for your time...

post #23 of 25 Old 02-04-2014, 04:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by MALIX View Post

Question 1. re side soffits. The left side soffit loses the bass trap cavity due to the shape of my room about half way along that soffit. ( you can see this in the picture of my Sketchup design. Where the rack is located and back the soffit no longer has the cavity.) This creates assymetry in the soffit bass traps for the left vs right sides of the room.. Should i still go ahead and fill these cavities with insulation and disregard the assymetry? or are there reasons to forego this.

Go Ahead with it, it wont hurt anything especially if you cover with poly.

Question 2. For front wall column corner traps. I have the option of wrapping these now with 6 mil poly to preserve some high/mid freqs. Should I err on the side of preserving those frequencies or a dead front wall . Perhaps 36" depth pink fluffy absorption necessitates 6 mil poly to not suck out too much hi/mid frequencies?

My personal preference is for unfaced treatment on the front wall. That includes corner traps and BB absorption behind mains.

Question 3. aside from the obvious fact that i wont be measuring the room before doing all this.. can anyone see any blatant issues with the proposed broadband trapping scheme?

I am building everything to be readily reversible/removable. all fabric panels will be easily removable to allow access to front wall and soffit cavities. I know its best to measure 1st then treat. but i am going with the quad corner subs/ lots of broadband trapping instead to try and get a decent response from the get go.. will measure as soon as I can but wanted to close up the soffits now and tweak more later..

Your plan sounds good. Four subs and room treatments will get you 99% there. Whether you spend considerable time, effort, and funds attaining that last 1% will be up to you. Since your about to start measuring you'll know what I mean soon enough. wink.gif

post #24 of 25 Old 02-06-2014, 09:39 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks, For the feedback NH!

post #25 of 25 Old 02-06-2014, 10:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

4 subs, lots of bass trapping to manage the modal ringing, you are good to go for awesome LFE!!!

Hey - I thought this looked familiar, I posted in the construction forum....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page