Any Integra Receiver & PSB Speaker Setup Recommendations? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 11-25-2013, 08:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 47
I recently decided to "part ways" with my DCM speaker setup that I had for about 15 years (since high school) and buy a pair of PSB Image T6 speakers. At first, I wasn't overly impressed with the T6 speakers as one had a defective mid-range speaker that would buzz on specific recordings. After I had the driver replaced, all was well. I'm also ordering a PSB Image C5, and the PSB Image B5 speakers for a 5.1 surround system. I also have a Sunfire Super Junior subwoofer that I have had for about 7 years, as well as an Integra DTR 40.2 that I've had a little over 3 years now (my last receiver was a DTR-7 that I had for about 11 years). I usually have a 10-15 year replacement cycle on audio components.

My current crossover settings are/will be as follows in the Integra setup menu:

PSB Image T6 (main L/R): set to Full Range (spaced 11 ft apart & about 11 ft away from the listener).
PSB Image C5: 50Hz (spaced just below the TV and about 10 ft away).
PSB Image B5: 50Hz (spaced 11ft apart and about 9.5 ft from the listener)
Subwoofer is currently set to 120Hz in the menu. I'm thinking I should bump this down to at least 80Hz to close the small frequency gap I have. The subwoofer itself is about 10.5 ft from the listener between the left speaker and the TV and is set to 100Hz.

I also have a sound level meter and manually set them to 70dB (excluding the sub). The Audyssey automatic setup did a pretty good job as well, but struggled on the subwoofer low frequency calibration. I only had to do some minor tweaks on my previous DCM speaker setup after the auto setup. The new T6s were virtually a drop in replacement so far with level setups, so I don't think I will have to change much with the new PSB center & surrounds.

I would say 90% of my listening would be in 2.1 mode with the T6 speakers being complemented by the Sunfire subwoofer. I enjoy bass, and the subwoofer definitely helps in a "bonus room" above the garage with a hardwood floor (with slanted ceilings of course). I listen to a variety of music from rock, jazz, classical, to metal. The other 10% would be strictly movies.

As I am fairly new to this forum, I was wondering how I can make the most of the equipment I currently have/will have, specifically with crossovers and audio setup. I'd like to get some input as how some members of the forum prefer their setup settings or have recommendations on what they think may sound better. Granted, there are probably a variety of answers, but any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 11-26-2013, 04:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked: 181
Sounds pretty good to me, but I noticed this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speaker Robert View Post

Subwoofer is currently set to 120Hz in the menu. I'm thinking I should bump this down to at least 80Hz to close the small frequency gap I have. The subwoofer itself is about 10.5 ft from the listener between the left speaker and the TV and is set to 100Hz.

It sounds like you are using the AVR's crossover set to 120Hz and the sub's crossover set at 100Hz - if you are using an upstream crossover in your AVR you should set the crossover in the sub as high as it will go so they are not cascaded.

I am not an expert on setting up the bass management in these menus (I don't use an AVR) - what does the 120Hz sub setting even do?

2-Ch (HT L/R): Oppo BDP-105 BD, Adcom GFP-750 pre, Bryston 10B Sub Xover, Bryston 4BSST2 / Paradigm Signature S4 v.2 (L/R), (2) SVS SB12-NSD (Subs)
Home Theater: Bryston 4BSST2 amp / Paradigm CC-590 (C), Outlaw 7700 amp / (4) Def Tech UIW-RSSII (LS/RS/LB/RB), Samsung 46” 3D LCD
post #3 of 3 Old 12-12-2013, 07:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Thanks for the feedback. Got a chance to hook up and listen to my PSB C5 and B5 speakers. I set my subwoofer to bypass and bumped my receiver crossover to 100Hz. I initially tried the full range setting for my main left/right speakers and turned on double bass. It was pretty good at first, but I found the bass a bit "boomy" later on. I bumped my T6 speakers down to 50Hz, my C5 center to 55Hz, and my B5 speakers to 70Hz for the rear.

I also ended up scratching out my automated values and setting my speakers to about 75dB, which caused my speaker levels to be within +/-1dB. Setting my speakers down -4dB in the level calibration seemed a little too excessive for me. I can simply turn the volume down lower on my receiver to get the desired volume. I set my center a few dB higher than the rest as my common issue with movies is that the center dialogue is often too quiet. Overall, they are really good speakers, but they are a bit bright on my Integra 40.2. I'll give them some time to "break in" a bit to get a full impression. The room is full of furniture, books, cds, etc to dampen the "lively" nature of wood flooring.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat

Tags
Psb Speakers Image C5 Centre , Onkyo Integra Dtr7 9 , Psb Speakers Image B5 Bookshelf , Psb Image T6 Tower Floorstanding Speaker

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page