Newbie whole house audio question - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 01-02-2014, 12:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Hello, 

I've got some questions about connecting existing wiring into my receiver for whole house audio.  

Here's what I have: 

Yamaha rx-v667 receiver

Polk rc85i in-wall speakers

The existing wiring in the room has 2 sets of simple 2-wire cable run from wall locations to a junction box.  Then a single simple 2-wire cable runs from the junction box to the receiver cabinet.  Four rooms of the house have this same set up.  

I'd like to run these speakers off zone 2 of this receiver for music only as an audio tech connected the home theater to zone 1.  

My main questions are: how do I connect this to have both channels represented with only a single 2-wire feeding each room, and further, how would I connect a speaker selecter/powered amplifier to be able to control the volume to each room?  Rewiring to each room is really undesirable since there is rigid wall insulation.    

Suggestions for a speaker selecter/powered amplifier are appreciated.  

Thanks in advance for any assistance.  - Brett

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 01-03-2014, 07:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

You'll probably want to double check, but I believe running 4 speakers off of 2 wires brings you down to 4 ohms, so you need an amp that is stable to 4 ohms.

I have a similar set up and just added two speakers for zone 2 for my Yamaha RX-v673.

Probably the cheapest way to have zone 2 sound would be speaker selectors in each junction box.  This would allow you to have one of the pairs of speakers installed playing zone 2.  You'd also need a selector at the amp.  Check out the speaker selector at htd.com.

The next step for my system is a multi-channel amp.  I am going to go with a MCA-66 Multi-Zone Controller/Amplifier from Home Theater Direct.  Over the years, I've purchased in-wall and in-ceiling speakers from this outfit and they always get good reviews and are responsive to questions. (other than buying some of their speakers, I have no association with HTD)

Again, I'd double check, but I believe the 6-zone amp would handle all 4 rooms.  Each 4 speaker room that is wired together would be able to be an independently controlled and sourced zone.  If your Yamaha has a zone 2 pre-out, you can plug it into the MCA-66 and it can be one of up to 6 sources.  

You could be watching a movie in your home theater and have background music playing everywhere else in the house, both sourced by your Yamaha.

I would double check with Home Theater Direct on your specific wiring set up, but it sounds like you'd be able to run your system with the MCA-66.

An additional option you could have with the MCA-66 set up (similar to what I will do in two places) is to put a volume control at the junction box for one of the pairs of speakers.  This would allow for a kind of cascading volume control.  The master volume controlled by the MCA-66 and then sub-volume control for the 2nd pair of speakers.

In my case, I am putting a pair of speakers on an enclosed patio and a pair on the outside of the house for bbqs.  I am going to put the volume control for the outside speakers in the patio leading outside.  I'll only want those speakers on when we are having a bbq.  However, the speakers on the patio will be on more often.  This allows me 2 purposes for one zone.  When you move beyond 6 zones, the cost jumps up, so I've laid out my system to only need 6 zones by the time I'm done with it.

I've been researching whole house audio for a while, and the HTD equipment is, by far, the least expensive set up that I have found.

I do not yet have the MCA-66, but I just added some of their 8inch in-ceiling speakers for my zone 2 off of the Yamaha and to me the sound is clear an crisp.  My wife also likes the sound of the speakers.  I'm planning on picking up an MCA-66 around summer.  I've got a trip to Hawaii to pay for first, otherwise, I would have gifted myself with an MCA-66.  :-)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat

Tags
Yamaha Rx V667 Receiver , Polk Audio Rc85i 2 Way In Wall Speakers Pair White

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page