Running Speaker Wires Under Baseboard - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 03-02-2014, 04:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Hi Guys,

I currently have an HTIB and I'm currently in the process of replacing it with separate speakers and a receiver. I'm planning on replacing my wires as well, I think the HTIB is currently using 22 or 24 AWG. I already replaced the fronts with 12 AWG because the wires are just laying behind the TV stand.

I have a problem with the rears though. The wires currently run around the edge of the room, under the baseboard tucked to the edge of the carpet. Since it was just 22 AWG, I didn't have any problems running it under the baseboard. There were probably a couple spots where I couldn't fit the wire under, but I'd say 90% of the run is hidden well. I need it to be hidden very well like this because I have a 1 year old and I don't want him pulling on the wire.

So I was wondering what AWG could I run that I could still run under the baseboard. I tried my 12 AWG on some spots and it is definitely way too large. The run is approximately 35-40 ft per side. By googleing I've read that a 16 AWG should still be plenty good for up to 50 ft so I'm leaning towards 16 AWG.

Also, another problem: on the one side of the wall the wire runs through a gas fire place. We very rarely use the fireplace so it's not going to be too hot that often, but since it's a gas unit it does have a pilot fire that's always turned on. Also, the fireplace has a wood moulding that seems to be mounted flush to the floor under the carpet, so I wasn't able to tuck my current 22 AWG wire under this moulding. But the 22 AWG wire is so thin that it's barely noticeable just running in front of the moulding instead of under it. Any thoughts if the fireplace would be an issue for my wires? Also any ideas on how to help hide or secure my wire that I couldn't tuck under the moulding?

Thanks

Edit: I guess another option would be to use a wireless speaker kit for the rears. The rears are next to a couch, so I can easily hide the wireless kit under the couch. My Receiver is a Yamaha v673 and my rears are Pioneers BS22. I will do some research about those kits wether they are a good option or not.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 03-02-2014, 06:05 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Child proofing those speaker wires is important so a little work may be needed. By pulling back the carpet beyond the tack strip, you can work around those areas you can't hide it well enough.
post #3 of 5 Old 03-02-2014, 06:33 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 458 Post(s)
Liked: 224
16 AWG is fine for the surrounds. A putty knife or butter knife can help to wedge it under the baseboards.

5.1 and 2.0 ch: Marantz AV7704/Emotiva DC-1/Rotel RB-1582 MKII/Audiosource Amp Three x 2/Polk LS90, CS400i, FX500i/Outlaw X-12, LFM-1/JVD DLA-HD250/Da-Lite 100" HCCV/Sony ES BDP/Sonos Connect. DC-1/RB-1582 MKII/Sonos Connect also feed Polk 7C in garage and Dayton IO655 on patio. 2.1 ch: Denon AVR-2807/Klipsch Forte I or NHT SB2/JBL SUB 550P x 2. 2.0 ch: Outlaw 975/Outlaw M2200 x 2/Klipsch RF-7 III/Sony ES BDP/LG 65" LED. 2.0 ch: Klipsch Powergate/NHT SB3. Kitchen: Sonos Play5.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 03-02-2014, 07:59 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3349 Post(s)
Liked: 3502
Put a couple layers of duct tape on the putty knife to prevent damage to the wire's insulation. Or use a wooden ruler.

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
post #5 of 5 Old 03-03-2014, 09:41 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 17
thanks guys. 16 sounds like a good starting point so I went ahead and ordered a spool from amazon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat

Tags
Yamaha Rx V673 Receiver , Pioneer Andrew Jones Designed Bookshelf Loudspeakers Sp Bs22 Lr

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page