Digital Optical Cutting out for OTA Channels - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 06-29-2014, 05:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Digital Optical Cutting out for OTA Channels

Hi Folks,

Here's my setup that relates to this questions: Panasonic Plasma 42" TV with Digital optical cable out to my Denon AVR-1613. Attic mounted antenna Coax is connected to my TV.

I get great reception, picture are definitely HD and sound is great through the TV.

BUT - when I connect my Digital Optical Cable and listen to the sound through my Receiver it will sound fine and then quiet down or cut out. While this is happening I can see a light on the Denon screen going in and out, the same way an FM station would.

Any suggestions on this? I guess I wouldn't be surprised with these results if I had audio issues with my TV sound too.

Are there any settings I can change in the receiver to turn down the sensitivity or something?

TIA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 06-29-2014, 08:36 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 851 Post(s)
Liked: 1251
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbudke22 View Post
Hi Folks,

Here's my setup that relates to this questions: Panasonic Plasma 42" TV with Digital optical cable out to my Denon AVR-1613. Attic mounted antenna Coax is connected to my TV.

I get great reception, picture are definitely HD and sound is great through the TV.

BUT - when I connect my Digital Optical Cable and listen to the sound through my Receiver it will sound fine and then quiet down or cut out. While this is happening I can see a light on the Denon screen going in and out, the same way an FM station would.
Could be a broken optical cable or broken terminations. Optical is actually generally more fragile than copper. It often can't take sharp bends. Its connectors may wear out, too.

I'd take a listen to the speakers on the TV and if they don't cut in and out, run right out and order a new optical cable from Monoprice or Amazon.
post #3 of 10 Old 06-29-2014, 09:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk View Post
Could be a broken optical cable or broken terminations. Optical is actually generally more fragile than copper. It often can't take sharp bends. Its connectors may wear out, too.

I'd take a listen to the speakers on the TV and if they don't cut in and out, run right out and order a new optical cable from Monoprice or Amazon.
I can take a look at the cable but it is a brand new one from amazon. Blue rigger brand, had good reviews
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 06-30-2014, 06:43 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 851 Post(s)
Liked: 1251
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbudke22 View Post
I can take a look at the cable but it is a brand new one from amazon. Blue rigger brand, had good reviews
Troubleshooting from thousands of miles away is always tough. I've never seen an optical link that has failed in any manner but failed to work at all, but I've only seen maybe 100 of them in my life.

The most unreliable part of any system is the cabling, and the most unreliable part of any cable is the termination. The easiest way to troubleshoot these things is direct substitution, preferably with a substitute that is as different as possible but compatible, and also field tested using different associated components.
post #5 of 10 Old 07-26-2014, 07:44 PM - Thread Starter

I got a replacement cable, it does the same thing. To be more specific, this is what it seems to do. it seems to "cut out" or "quiet down" sometimes. And this seems to happen when the primary color or programming changes. Example, a commercial is on and then it flips to the next commercial, its almost like the sound gets brought down to about 50% of what it was and then quickly (over maybe 1 second) returns back to the normal listening level. But the cable does work, I watched Fallon last night and had no problem whatsoever until it went to commercial. (It does do it during normal programming too, just not as much)

Also, when it does this, I can look down and see some small word in the top center of my 1613 go off, then back on once the sounds picks back up, (can't remember what that light/word says)
post #6 of 10 Old 07-27-2014, 12:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1231 Post(s)
Liked: 1437
Turn off Audyssey if it is on, if you can, as a test.

Better yet, figure out what the indicator on the AVR is saying.

I'll be back later...

System links::: 1.5RQ > digits from all sources > 1177a > OpenDRC-DI with AcourateDRC > DEQ2496 > DAC2 > KCT > FPB 350mcx > reQuest + Cheezewoofer Wattless Deluxe > Sweetspot
post #7 of 10 Old 07-28-2014, 02:49 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 4815 Post(s)
Liked: 2850
The symptoms are consistent with Dynamic Volume being enabled in the receiver.

Selden

Marantz SR7009 avr + MM9000 amp --> Atmos 7.1.4
Fronts=NHT 2.9+AC2, FH+TM=DefTech PM1000, LCR+TM amped
post #8 of 10 Old 08-05-2014, 05:53 PM - Thread Starter

I turned off Audyssey and it still does it. I wish I had another TV then I could see if it's my Tv tuner or something. And I believe dynamic volume goes off when I turn audyssey off right?
post #9 of 10 Old 12-14-2016, 02:09 PM

Liked: 11
I've had the same problem w/ my AVR-1910. I originally solved it by disabling Dynamic Volume and some of the other audyssey settings, but the problem has since come back. Not sure if one of the kids changed a setting or what is going on. My current setup is OTA HD w/ Optical Out from TV (Sony XBR55850D) to the 1 optical input.

I notice when I check the "Status" on the Denon, it displays that I am only getting PCM audio, but the OTA HD broadcast says it's Dolby Digital.

The audio cuts out every minute or so for 3-4 seconds. If I change the optical IN to expect Dolby, I get no audio, even though the broadcast says it's Dolby. I have to set it to Auto or PCM, and from what I can tell is always receiving PCM. The TV support output PCM, Dolby, and DTS.

I'm tempted to reset the receiver, but then I'd have to setup and calibrate it all again. Any thoughts? When I search the issue, seems like a lot of Denon models around my model have similar complaints.

The TV is and Android TV, so if I am using one of the Android Apps (netflix, amazon, etc) there is no problem. It only comes up w/ OTA broadcasts.

As a work around, I have an Xbox one w/ USB tuner and using that for OTA TV for now, but I'd prefer the Sony Android TV interface for TV.
post #10 of 10 Old 12-15-2016, 08:55 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Sounds like it could be a loose connection with the optical cable. If you have another optical cable try switching them or borrow one from a friend and see what happens. Optical cables are not expensive and DH Labs makes a great one for less than $50. Strong connection and well built. I switched out my Best Buy opticals for the DH Labs and will never look back. The Best Buy stuff was always loose and flimsy. Not sure what BB model it was.

Good Luck

Have fun with music and HT

Gary
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat

Tags
antenna , avr-1613 , Denon Avr 1613 Receiver , digital optical , Ota

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page