Dolby Atmos for Home Experience Thread - Page 12 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 139Likes

post #331 of 358 Old 03-04-2015, 02:27 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 119
I sure wish Atmos demonstration discs were available beyond the ultra $$$ black market you can find on eBay. You would think that when Dolby, DTS, or THX release products like this, they would want to also distribute demo material to show off what the system can do through the population, not just proprietary discs at certain dealers. I love demo discs, would buy one in a heartbeat.

If anyone has one they're willing to part with, give me a shout.

Last edited by Chris Dotur; 03-04-2015 at 02:50 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #332 of 358 Old 03-04-2015, 05:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Dotur View Post
I sure wish Atmos demonstration discs were available...
AVS Forum members on another Atmos thread reported that they e-mailed Dolby and requested their Atmos demo disc and Dolby sent it out to them.

I downloaded it from a link in the main Atmos thread and loaded it to my external HD...that would be another option.
post #333 of 358 Old 03-04-2015, 06:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by laugsbach View Post
AVS Forum members on another Atmos thread reported that they e-mailed Dolby and requested their Atmos demo disc and Dolby sent it out to them.

I downloaded it from a link in the main Atmos thread and loaded it to my external HD...that would be another option.
Thanks--just send them a message from the "Contact Us" form page on the Dolby site. Will see if that goes anywhere.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #334 of 358 Old 03-04-2015, 09:54 PM
Advanced Member

... caught up on this thread now. I'll add that I too received a not-good Atmos demo at Best Buy Magnolia. (only one of them in Alaska) It was the exact same demo disc and material as I saw at CEDIA. I can't remember for sure, but the speakers used in the "Atmos enabled" portion of the demo might have even been the same. (using reflective sound, not overhead mounted speakers) The CEDIA demo was impressive. The BB demo was quite mediocre.

I'm very disappointed that multiple people here in this thread (which means even more on the rest of AVS, much less SO many more out in the public) are seeing these mediocre demos and concluding that Atmos is a marginally effective product, and thus, something that just isn't worth it to them.

I think it's particularly pathetic when you consider that the CEDIA Atmos demos were performed in temporary shacks, hastily built over a few days and conducted in the middle of a noisy trade show floor. BB demos happen in dedicated, enclosed rooms that with the tiniest bit of effort could be set up for near perfection. I wish all these people could experience proper HT setups and see what's REALLY possible.
kbarnes701 likes this.
post #335 of 358 Old 03-05-2015, 05:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 226
Quote:
I wish all these people could experience proper HT setups and see what's REALLY possible.
Amen to that...

A friend of mine and fellow AVS Forum member went to our local Home & Garden show last weekend. He stopped in a home AV booth and asked about Atmos...the salesman said it wasn't available for the home market and zero movies have been released in Atmos for the home! In the know that one is...
post #336 of 358 Old 03-05-2015, 04:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1046 Post(s)
Liked: 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnoonie View Post
I was in Fry's in Renton, WA today browsing sale items and stuck my head in their Atmos demo room...they've fixed it!

It's just a little system in a box, Onkyo HT-S7700 5.1.2-Channel Dolby Atmos Ready Network A/V Receiver/Speaker Package, http://www.onkyousa.com/Products/mod...&class=Systems but actually sounded like something, especially for the $800 price tag. It could really stand some EQ and first reflection treatment in the dedicated room it's in which suffering from a 250Hz and 500Hz room peak and some dip in the sibilance frequencies, typical of an untreated room of it's size without EQ, but...room EQing issues aside I watched the demo loop and...
I have the older (pre-Atmos) version of that HTIB, with 7.1 surround. It's certainly nowhere near what a lot of people on this forum have, but for under $1k total, you'd be hard pressed to beat it, or even come close to it. That being said, giving up the 7 channels of surround sound seems like a MASSIVE trade off for Atmos that can rarely be used. I feel like Atmos is for the folks who are running 7.2.4, so they're not losing anything over an exist 7.2 setup... If I could only have 7 channels, I wouldn't even consider Atmos, I'd stick with the 7.1 channel setup...
post #337 of 358 Old 03-05-2015, 08:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggAW View Post
That being said, giving up the 7 channels of surround sound seems like a MASSIVE trade off for Atmos that can rarely be used. I feel like Atmos is for the folks who are running 7.2.4, so they're not losing anything over an exist 7.2 setup... If I could only have 7 channels, I wouldn't even consider Atmos, I'd stick with the 7.1 channel setup...
That'd be a toughie. Whether to go 7.1 for full 360 degree horizontal soundfield and minimal vertical, or 5.1.2 for 180-ish degree horizontal, and 180-ish degree vertical. Remember, DSU processing allows processing into ALL available channels, so top/height speakers get lots of use, even (or especially) in non-Atmos encoded material.
post #338 of 358 Old 03-06-2015, 09:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1046 Post(s)
Liked: 336
Quote:
That'd be a toughie. Whether to go 7.1 for full 360 degree horizontal soundfield and minimal vertical, or 5.1.2 for 180-ish degree horizontal, and 180-ish degree vertical. Remember, DSU processing allows processing into ALL available channels, so top/height speakers get lots of use, even (or especially) in non-Atmos encoded material.
True, but I feel like Atmos should be about gaining, not some sort of trade-off. In a 7.2.4 setup, you're purely gaining channels over 7.1, not trading anything off. This is why the next system I buy will be at least 7.2.4, if not more.
post #339 of 358 Old 03-06-2015, 09:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 670 Post(s)
Liked: 482
Have there been any recent white papers; guidance; lessons learned on the topic of ceiling placement of four Atmos speakers when you have two rows? The original Dolby papers still only talk about a single listening position or one row. Surely people have installed Atmos in multi-row theaters by now, though. What's the take-away?
post #340 of 358 Old 05-23-2015, 08:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Hi all, I have a question regarding speaker placement. I'm building a modest HT in my new home and I need to go with all in-ceiling speakers for my rears. I'm not sold on Atmos yet (mainly having to buy a new AVR and considering the so-so reviews). But I'm wondering if I should future proof my set up now. My question is, if I build my HT to a 7.1 surround sound spec, and since my rears will all be in-ceiling, shouldn't that set me up for Atmos? The only difference I'm seeing between a 7.1 and a 5.1.2 Atmos set up is that the side surrounds are slightly forward with Atmos. Are there other considerations I should be making?

Dolby Atmos 5.1.4
Denon x6200
Ascend Acoustics Towers and Horizon Center (NrT)
RSL 34CE in-ceilings (4)
Rythmik E15HP
post #341 of 358 Old 07-21-2015, 08:12 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Does anyone have any experience using height speakers in a vaulted ceiling? I plan on moving in a couple years so I'm not going to install extra ceiling speakers here. I know that the height speakers use reflections, and it isn't recommended by Dolby, but wondering if anyone has had positive experiences with adding height speakers in a vaulted room anyway. Any improvement in the soundstage?

FWIW, my room is similar in shape and size to:
post #342 of 358 Old 07-21-2015, 10:57 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 4823 Post(s)
Liked: 2874
No, "height" speakers don't use reflections. They're mounted up high and are pointed down toward the audience seating area, usually toward the main listening position (the one where you sit, centered between the front main speakers). Alternatively, some people prefer to mount them so they point toward the opposite side of the seating, with the Right Front Height speaker pointing toward the left side of the seating, for example.

In other words, you could mount Front Height speakers on your front wall (where the TV is), at a height which is above the top of the windows, with Rear Height speakers mounted similarly on the back wall.

Reflecting speakers (also called Dolby Atmos Enabled speakers) can't work at all with vaulted ceilings like that. The reflections off the ceiling don't go anywhere near the seating.

Selden

Marantz SR7009 avr + MM9000 amp --> Atmos 7.1.4
Fronts=NHT 2.9+AC2, FH+TM=DefTech PM1000, LCR+TM amped
post #343 of 358 Old 07-21-2015, 11:30 AM

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 7012 Post(s)
Liked: 3564
With a vaulted ceiling you can hang the Dolby Atmos overhead speakers with chains. ...Some coaxial speakers enclosed in spheres are specially designed for that purpose.

Example: http://www.proacousticsusa.com/produ....php?pId=17194

______

Last edited by NorthSky; 07-21-2015 at 12:03 PM.
post #344 of 358 Old 07-21-2015, 04:56 PM

Mentioned: 258 Post(s)
Quoted: 4055 Post(s)
Liked: 4574
I just got my first Atmos Bluray disc the other week, and now I'm wondering what I'm missing. Haven't heard Atmos yet.
The only processsor that looks like it is worth upgrading to is the 8802, but it's 4 grand!

I'm wired for 14.x.4 but my current processor only does 7.x.0
post #345 of 358 Old 08-04-2015, 05:43 PM

Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Hello guys.

A simple inquiry:

I have front heights installed and planning to get the X4100 for Atmos. Will front height speakers serve me well as Atmos speakers, will I get the same or similar effect? I can´t place them on the ceiling.

Thanks!
post #346 of 358 Old 08-05-2015, 06:21 AM

Mentioned: 131 Post(s)
Quoted: 7758 Post(s)
Liked: 7122
Quote:
Originally Posted by xhattan View Post
Hello guys.

A simple inquiry:

I have front heights installed and planning to get the X4100 for Atmos. Will front height speakers serve me well as Atmos speakers, will I get the same or similar effect? I can´t place them on the ceiling.

Thanks!
FH is an official Atmos designated speaker position so if you follow the recommended angles for FH, then you are within spec and it will work to some extent.

However, if I was only going to have one pair of overhead speakers, I would want them more or less over the MLP. And for the best Atmos effect you really need 4 overhead speakers.

I would say that with one FH pair, you will get a taller soundstage at the front but not really 'overhead' effects as such since the speakers will not really be 'over you head'. And of course you have zero chance of any overhead panning effects.

If I was unable to mount speakers on the ceiling, I would go with four Atmos enabled speakers or add-on modules - they will give you more immersion than a single pair of speakers mounted on the front wall. The Atmos speakers or modules work best with a flat ceiling between 8 and 14 feet high.
tjenkins95 likes this.
post #347 of 358 Old 09-06-2015, 05:26 AM

Mentioned: 659 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4327 Post(s)
Liked: 4159
How important is it that your four ceiling speakers in a parallel plane front to back of room.

I ask because my projector is rear ceiling mounted and I have a low ceiling with a 2.35:1 screen To best keep the speakers out of the black bar overspray from the projector on the 2.35:1 the front speakers have to be wider than the rear (as the image is obviously getting bigger towards the front of the room with the projector throw).

Should I set both speakers in parallel at the wider distance needed by the front ceiling speakers, or should I set them both at different distances - narrower for the rear, wider for the front. I'd be a no brainer if wider was optimal - but it's not. In this case narrower is optimal.

Does it matter?

Archaea's 9.8.4 Home Theater Room
208, 1" tweeters | 52, 5" woofers | 8, 18" subwoofers

Last edited by Archaea; 09-06-2015 at 05:34 AM.
post #348 of 358 Old 09-11-2015, 07:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked: 232
I did not read through all the posts in this thread, I'll put in my .02. I was in the planning stages of a dedicated room in the basement of a newly constructed house. 28x14, 7.5' ceiling. I decided to install in ceiling speakers, it was only a $400.00 investment. I installed Martin Logan ml-67's which msrp for 299 each but were on clearance. I had a 4 channel amp to drive them already. I knew I would sell my Marantz AV 8801 and get an 8802 eventually which I did recently. For my room layout, please see the 31216 theater in the "whats your system configuration" thread. I have 2 rows of seats, each one is flanked by side surrounds, I also have rear surrounds. I have a total of 13 speakers and 3 subs in the room. I have watched Transformers, Mad Max and Jupiter Ascending so far. I plan on spending some tome this weekend comparing some scenes with Atmos on and the same scenes with it off. I may also try using just the center and Atmos speakers with all the other ones off just o see how much info is pumped into the Atmos speakers. So far, there are very few scenes where you can definitely notice the overhead channels playing, sometimes they just blend in with all the other channels. That's obviously dependent on the mix. I would say you notice them at appropriate times for the most part, plane/helicopter flybys etc. I will do some more listening and report back but so far I'd say I'm glad I installed the Atmos system.

post #349 of 358 Old 10-02-2015, 09:56 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by g_bartman View Post
I did not read through all the posts in this thread, I'll put in my .02. I was in the planning stages of a dedicated room in the basement of a newly constructed house. 28x14, 7.5' ceiling. I decided to install in ceiling speakers, it was only a $400.00 investment. I installed Martin Logan ml-67's which msrp for 299 each but were on clearance. I had a 4 channel amp to drive them already. I knew I would sell my Marantz AV 8801 and get an 8802 eventually which I did recently. For my room layout, please see the 31216 theater in the "whats your system configuration" thread. I have 2 rows of seats, each one is flanked by side surrounds, I also have rear surrounds. I have a total of 13 speakers and 3 subs in the room. I have watched Transformers, Mad Max and Jupiter Ascending so far. I plan on spending some tome this weekend comparing some scenes with Atmos on and the same scenes with it off. I may also try using just the center and Atmos speakers with all the other ones off just o see how much info is pumped into the Atmos speakers. So far, there are very few scenes where you can definitely notice the overhead channels playing, sometimes they just blend in with all the other channels. That's obviously dependent on the mix. I would say you notice them at appropriate times for the most part, plane/helicopter flybys etc. I will do some more listening and report back but so far I'd say I'm glad I installed the Atmos system.
Has anyone with a older Sony player been able to play a blu-ray with dolby-Atmos and have the Receiver/AV Processor decode it. (In other words will the older Sony blu-ray player pass Dolby Atmos to a receiver to be decoded)

Thanks
post #350 of 358 Old 10-03-2015, 05:25 AM

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by sal7of9 View Post
Has anyone with a older Sony player been able to play a blu-ray with dolby-Atmos and have the Receiver/AV Processor decode it. (In other words will the older Sony blu-ray player pass Dolby Atmos to a receiver to be decoded)

Thanks
My older Sony BDP-S550 works perfectly and I would say almost any player that can be set to "Bitstream out" will work also.
post #351 of 358 Old 10-10-2015, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sal7of9 View Post

Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by gammanuc View Post
My older Sony BDP-S550 works perfectly and I would say almost any player that can be set to "Bitstream out" will work also.
Unfortunately, some older players have problems with discs which include substantial "seamless branching," resulting in random audio dropouts. I experienced that problem while watching Mockingjay Part 1 on my Sony BDP-S590.

Selden

post #352 of 358 Old 10-21-2015, 07:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 708 Post(s)
Liked: 582
I'm in the early stages of thinking about upgrading my theater to Atmos and how just a few questions for those of you who have done it. My theater is pretty small, it's only 12 x 17. In a room that small would 7.2.2 work, or should I still have my sights set on 7.2.4. I've read a lot on here that the 4 speakers are the way to go, but with that said, I only have a single row of seats.

I've got bipole side surround speakers, how much of a problem is that going to be? I know it's not recommended, but as money is a consideration, those aren't exactly high on my replacement list. I totally get it won't be ideal, but is it something that will at least be functional for a while?

Finally, how much does speaker quality matter when it comes to Atmos? I would be going with the in-ceiling speakers, but considering that they are only going to be used for surround effects, is it something where I need to be looking at the higher quality speakers?

My Theater: The Ugly Theater
post #353 of 358 Old 03-18-2016, 10:38 AM

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Houston we have ATMOS . After buying a onkyo 636 AVR, ugrading firmware, aquired atmos add ons for my andew jones floor speakers.
then renting garvity deluxe version I had all the tools, then spent an hour trying every setting for audio in the TV, AVR and BD player fianlly got it to show Dolby ATmos on my screen.

I wished there was a cheat sheet that said TV should be bit or PCM etc and for every other setting in AVR and TV. Blind luck I finaly got it right. Atleast it says True HD and Dolby Atmos.
post #354 of 358 Old 03-18-2016, 12:26 PM

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenA07 View Post
I'm in the early stages of thinking about upgrading my theater to Atmos and how just a few questions for those of you who have done it. My theater is pretty small, it's only 12 x 17. In a room that small would 7.2.2 work, or should I still have my sights set on 7.2.4. I've read a lot on here that the 4 speakers are the way to go, but with that said, I only have a single row of seats.

I've got bipole side surround speakers, how much of a problem is that going to be? I know it's not recommended, but as money is a consideration, those aren't exactly high on my replacement list. I totally get it won't be ideal, but is it something that will at least be functional for a while?

Finally, how much does speaker quality matter when it comes to Atmos? I would be going with the in-ceiling speakers, but considering that they are only going to be used for surround effects, is it something where I need to be looking at the higher quality speakers?
I am currently sitting at 7.1.2 but have the external amp and speakers to go to 7.1.4. Looking to install tomorrow! I hope to get better overhead front/back sound motion and more overhead ambiance. Right now I feel the effects are more localized having just two ceiling speakers. But if there isn't more Atmos content I will be pissed.

I have bipole side surrounds. I tried them as the rears and as the sides, however I think they work much better on the sides. I think this is because there is more area for the sound to cover in the soundfield when on the sides. I did put them on stands to lower them to ear height.

I have heard that Dolby sends full range to all the speakers so I think they need to have a wider range than people are use too, at least up to your cuttoff for the sub crossover.

Cheers!
JaguarCRO likes this.

Last edited by the3dwizard; 03-19-2016 at 05:01 PM.
post #355 of 358 Old 03-28-2016, 08:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 2169 Post(s)
Liked: 656
ear height and monopole vs bipole

If I have a long distance 10' from MLP on each side for my side surrounds, should I use monopole or bipole speakers?

I'm worried about folks not at MLP closer to the surrounds (4') getting blasted because they are at ear height.

I figured dual-tweeters may be a good way to prevent that.

My rears and 4 in the ceiling are all monopole but none are at ear height.
post #356 of 358 Old 03-30-2016, 09:59 AM

Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Just wanted to chime in,

I currently have the upfiring Klipsch 140SA with 9 foot ceilings. When I first installed the speakers I was able to get a "good" Atmos effect, but it wasn't quite overhead. Using a laser pointer, I could see that the reflection points weren't reaching my main listening position. I purchased rubber door wedges and lodged them under the speakers to increase the angle.

Difference was staggering during the helicopter atmos demo. Before adding the wedges, helicopter felt as if it was hovering above me, but from a distance. After adding the wedges, the chopper felt literally right above me. I'll need to tweak bit more, but I'd suggest anyone using up-firing to add wedges if immersion isn't quite there.
fatalus likes this.

JVC RS540 | Pioneer SC-95 | Panamax MB1500 x2
Klipsch RF-83 | RC-64 | RP-280FA | RS-62 | RP-140SA | R-115SW x2
4k MadVR HTPC | Panasonic DMP-UB900 | PS4 Pro | DirecTV Genie
post #357 of 358 Old 04-06-2016, 11:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 355 Post(s)
Liked: 349
I'm upgrading my 5.2 setup to 5.2.4 using Klipsch AW-525 outdoor speakers mounted to ceiling. My question is, should I lower my surrounds? My ceiling is low at just over 7ft which puts the ceiling mounted speakers at about 81" (6' 9"). My surrounds are currently 42" at center of tweeters (I use center speakers for surround). Should I lower the center of surround to 36"? Ear height is 36". Pics below...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	12952699_10208165789576854_950695142_o.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	122.6 KB
ID:	1362378   Click image for larger version

Name:	12948416_10208169717555051_1130026776_o.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	162.7 KB
ID:	1362386  

Denon X6200W - Klipsch KLF-10 Fronts - Klipsch KLF-C7 Center - Klipsch KLF-C7 X 2 Surrounds - Klipsch RB-61 II Back surround -OSD ACE850 ceiling x 4 Atmos - Dual HSU VTF-3 MK4 Subs - 4 Dayton Audio BST-1 Bass Shakers with SA230 Amp - BenQ W1070 projector - 106" Antra fixed Screen
post #358 of 358 Old 04-06-2016, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soupy1970 View Post
I'm upgrading my 5.2 setup to 5.2.4 using Klipsch AW-525 outdoor speakers mounted to ceiling. My question is, should I lower my surrounds? My ceiling is low at just over 7ft which puts the ceiling mounted speakers at about 81" (6' 9"). My surrounds are currently 42" at center of tweeters (I use center speakers for surround). Should I lower the center of surround to 36"? Ear height is 36". Pics below...
The more vertical separation you can provide between the overhead speakers and the "ear level" surrounds, the better. Ideally they should be just high enough that they aren't obstructed by, for example, the heads of other people seated in the room.

Selden

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat

Tags
dolby atmos , frontpage

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page