Atmos. Fad or future? - Page 6 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 59Likes

post #151 of 158 Old 03-19-2015, 11:32 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 13
about as long as CD-4 and Quadraphonic and SQ..oh wait ,i still have those
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 158 Old 03-20-2015, 01:29 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked: 230
Personally, I love it. I'm an amateur at home theater how-to, but I love having sound above me during the most recent Transformers flick. Looking forward to all the Netflix Blu Rays we just added that were mixed in Atmos, too!

So, future, I hope.
post #153 of 158 Old 03-20-2015, 11:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by rxman View Post
about as long as CD-4 and Quadraphonic and SQ..oh wait ,i still have those
I've never heard of CD-4. Quad I have heard of. Do you still use it?

Sounds good!

AVR: Denon 1913
L/R: Polk RTiA1
Center: Polk CSi3
Sub: Polk PSW505
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #154 of 158 Old 03-20-2015, 11:56 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by blastermaster View Post
Atmos and DTS: X in receivers is going to be initially expensive like all new AV equipment that comes out. It will eventually be in all budget receivers. Then all the people who don't really care will buy their inexpensive receiver and object-based sound bars and be done with it. As for me, I'm installing as many damned speakers as my wife will let me purchase, set it up the way it was meant to be set up and enjoy multiple eargasms on a daily basis.
First of all, love your avatar. Second, I agree with everything you said. Amen brother.
post #155 of 158 Old 03-20-2015, 08:53 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 13
check out www.quadraphonicquad.com I had a sansui quad decoder for CD-4 (used with a beautiful B&O straight arm turntable 4000) sansui SQ decoder, and quadraphonic LP's (used with 2 dyanaco amps,a bose 4 channel preamp and 4 advent speakers).
no longer in use..no quad lp's
karlsaudio likes this.
post #156 of 158 Old 03-20-2015, 09:13 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I started doing some heavy research on this as my amp had some age problems and I thought I might need to do a hasty replacement. I think there are two ways to look at this:

1. Object based formats are absolutely here to stay. Not because the consumer loves it, or it drives more people to the theater but because it is simply an easier and more logical way to mix sound. I would be interested in hearing the opinion of people in the industry for an experienced view point but from what I read - it makes a lot more sense.

2. Consumer adoption is likely to be moderate at best. Audiophiles and guys with a spaceship home theater design will pursue before 'mom and dad' will. I think down the road the processing will allow an existing 5.1/7.1/9.1/11.1 system to playback these formats just like its been done in the past, albeit without the 'true' advantage of the extra speakers.

just my $.02...
post #157 of 158 Old 03-22-2015, 10:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 802 Post(s)
Liked: 499
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliRaftDude View Post
Object based formats are absolutely here to stay. Not because the consumer loves it, or it drives more people to the theater but because it is simply an easier and more logical way to mix sound. I would be interested in hearing the opinion of people in the industry for an experienced view point but from what I read - it makes a lot more sense.
Shifting gears from the cinema to legacy audio for a minute,.....

In a perfect world, recording companies would go through their vaults and re-release old multichannel masters in their native (non-mixed-down) mode. Playback would be accomplished by a standalone object processor (laptop based) which would re-map the playback scheme to any configuration desired.

Admittedly this is a fanciful indulgence, as there would not be a large market for this content. The only reason it might happen is that the source material is already in the can and just needs some post-production conversion, and could not be readily co-opted by commercial streaming services. Which is the major challenge to the music industry right now.
post #158 of 158 Old 03-23-2015, 01:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by rxman View Post
check out www.quadraphonicquad.com I had a sansui quad decoder for CD-4 (used with a beautiful B&O straight arm turntable 4000) sansui SQ decoder, and quadraphonic LP's (used with 2 dyanaco amps,a bose 4 channel preamp and 4 advent speakers).
no longer in use..no quad lp's
I just checked out the site. My head almost blew up checking out a format I have never really checked out. Neat stuff!

Sounds good!

AVR: Denon 1913
L/R: Polk RTiA1
Center: Polk CSi3
Sub: Polk PSW505
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page