Denon AVR X2200w with 5.1 Dali zensor 3 package - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 09-10-2015, 12:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Denon AVR X2200w with 5.1 Dali zensor 3 package

hi folks,

Complete noob here, after hours and hours of reviews and forums I have finally narrowed things down to above combination which will come in at £1249 all in.

My budget is maximum £1500 and am looking for an av receive which will last me around 5 years. I've recently purchased a budget benq1070 projector and need to improve the sound as I'm currently using an all in one cinema bundle which is 10 plus years old. Atmos is something I would like to play around with and the 2200 seems to have reasonable features for its price.

My current room is around 4.5 x 3.5 meters, TV on wall with long narrow cabinet underneath (no room for floor standing speakers). Seating position is around 3 meters from TV and is hard up against the back wall (not the best for the rear speakers I understand??)

Will be used mostly for movies, TV, gaming, but also music.

I'm going to my local richer sounds in a few weeks to test various setups but would obviously like to narrow things down beforehand

Does above combination sound like a reasonable option for the price or am I way off? Should I be spending more on the receiver and less on speakers?

I know that ultimately I need to go and listen to various combos myself to see which is best for me but at the same time, any advice would be very much appreciated.

Hopefully I've posted in the correct place (Virgin poster🙈)

Thanks in advance
Owen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 09-11-2015, 06:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1331 Post(s)
Liked: 819
Quote:
Originally Posted by R7OJR View Post

Does above combination sound like a reasonable option for the price or am I way off?
Haven't heard the speakers, but they are getting good reviews. The center doesn't match the L/R or surrounds. I didn't see any Atmos product from Dali, but I didn't dig very far either.
Quote:
Should I be spending more on the receiver and less on speakers?
Speakers are always the prime factor that determines sound quality, and have a 20+ year lifespan. AVRs pricing is more driven by features, not sound quality, and is typically a 5-year piece. If you weight the budget towards speakers, you can easily upgrade the AVR if it becomes necessary.
Quote:
I know that ultimately I need to go and listen to various combos myself to see which is best for me but at the same time, any advice would be very much appreciated.
Listen to speakers, don't worry about the speaker/AVR combination.
post #3 of 12 Old 09-11-2015, 07:42 AM - Thread Starter

JaddIe, thanks for the advice, all taken on board.

The 5.1 combination I was looking at is

2x zensor 3 (fronts)
2x zensor 1 (rears)
1x zensor Vokal (centre)
1x Dali E-9F subwoofer

Will this centre and rears match the fronts?

Still looking at various speakers but keep coming back to the dali's. Think my minds made up on the Denon avr-x2200w unless someone tells me I'm being daft.

Probably look to add Atmos speakers at a later date but your right I don't think Dali do Atmos. Would it be an issue adding different branded Atmos speakers down the line?

Thanks for your response, appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 09-11-2015, 08:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1253 Post(s)
Liked: 957
Quote:
Probably look to add Atmos speakers at a later date but your right I don't think Dali do Atmos. Would it be an issue adding different branded Atmos speakers down the line?
Actually, it is the up-firing Dolby Atmos-enabled add-ons that are to be put on top of front and surround towers that are not offered by Dali.

Meantime, for an Atmos setup you can use any Dali bookshelf speakers you can mount on your ceiling. For practical reasons (size wise) the Zenzor 1 would be a good solution.

Last edited by mogorf; 09-11-2015 at 11:13 AM.
post #5 of 12 Old 09-12-2015, 07:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mogorf View Post
Actually, it is the up-firing Dolby Atmos-enabled add-ons that are to be put on top of front and surround towers that are not offered by Dali.

Meantime, for an Atmos setup you can use any Dali bookshelf speakers you can mount on your ceiling. For practical reasons (size wise) the Zenzor 1 would be a good solution.
Without knowing the dispersion of the Dalis, I don't think I'd do that.
post #6 of 12 Old 09-12-2015, 11:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaddie View Post
Without knowing the dispersion of the Dalis, I don't think I'd do that.
Then, please study the Dalis and the Dolby Atmos Guidelines a bit more.

Dali Zensor: http://www.dali-speakers.com/en-US/Loudspeakers-1/ZENSOR-1.aspx

Look for "wide dispersion".

Dolby: http://www.dolby.com/us/en/technolog...guidelines.pdf

Look for placement guidelines of "wide dispersion" overhead speakers.

Hope this helps!
post #7 of 12 Old 09-13-2015, 01:08 AM - Thread Starter

At the moment the Atmos speakers is something for the future which I will look into in detail once I have the initial 5.1 set up and running well. It will be nice to have the option and everyone's opinions and theories I will take into consideration.

It has been mentioned in another post that placing my front speakers on the cabinet underneath the TV will badly effect the sound and they should either be wall mounted or set on pads proud of the cabinet, anyone add any input on this as putting speakers on brackets may effect the projector screen fully opening and placing them proud of the cabinet is not an option
post #8 of 12 Old 09-13-2015, 01:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
At the moment the Atmos speakers is something for the future which I will look into in detail once I have the initial 5.1 set up and running well. It will be nice to have the option and everyone's opinions and theories I will take into consideration.

It has been mentioned in another post that placing my front speakers on the cabinet underneath the TV will badly effect the sound and they should either be wall mounted or set on pads proud of the cabinet, anyone add any input on this as putting speakers on brackets may effect the projector screen fully opening and placing them proud of the cabinet is not an option
A couple of photos of your room would help to give proper advice.
post #9 of 12 Old 09-13-2015, 02:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Then, please study the Dalis and the Dolby Atmos Guidelines a bit more.

Dali Zensor: http://www.dali-speakers.com/en-US/Loudspeakers-1/ZENSOR-1.aspx

Look for "wide dispersion".

Dolby: http://www.dolby.com/us/en/technolog...guidelines.pdf

Look for placement guidelines of "wide dispersion" overhead speakers.

Hope this helps!
Yeah. Thanks for that. And the assumption that I didn't already know that.

Dispersion/directivity of the Dali are not specified, so I therefore don't know what it is, however, the typical dispersion pattern of most speakers is 30 degrees (+/-15 degrees from acoustic center) or less in the 10KHz range.

Dolby specifies wide dispersion required for Atmos ceiling speakers as "45 degrees from the acoustical reference axis over the audio band from 100 Hz to 10 kHz or wider". That's a 90 degree dispersion at 10Khz...almost nothing does that.

That was sort of what I was getting at. Consumer speaker manufacturers almost never specify dispersion, much less publish a set of polar plots. The average consumer speaker can't be classified as wide dispersion anyway. Dolby Atmos requires wide dispersion.

It's most likely not a match.
post #10 of 12 Old 09-13-2015, 02:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yeah. Thanks for that. And the assumption that I didn't already know that.

Dispersion/directivity of the Dali are not specified, so I therefore don't know what it is, however, the typical dispersion pattern of most speakers is 30 degrees (+/-15 degrees from acoustic center) or less in the 10KHz range.

Dolby specifies wide dispersion required for Atmos ceiling speakers as "45 degrees from the acoustical reference axis over the audio band from 100 Hz to 10 kHz or wider". That's a 90 degree dispersion at 10Khz...almost nothing does that.

That was sort of what I was getting at. Consumer speaker manufacturers almost never specify dispersion, much less publish a set of polar plots. The average consumer speaker can't be classified as wide dispersion anyway. Dolby Atmos requires wide dispersion.

It's most likely not a match.
You don't seem to be reading the Dolby Atmos Guide:

"Speakers with narrow dispersion patterns should be aimed at the MLP."
post #11 of 12 Old 09-13-2015, 10:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
You don't seem to be reading the Dolby Atmos Guide:

"Speakers with narrow dispersion patterns should be aimed at the MLP."
You don't seem to understand geometry.

8' ceiling, 4 or 5 seats...and you don't want an ugly box angling off the ceiling, you'd like it flat for aesthetics. Ignoring that last bit, the geometry doesn't work. Add a seat riser, and a flat to the ceiling speaker, and it's really over.

There's a reason the boffins at Dolby state that they need wide dispersion. And the narrow dispersion statement is just another of their compromises, trying to get an impossible situation to work at home. Atmos doesn't scale to a small space in the first place, it's full of compromises that remain unaddressed.

Would you like me to elaborate? I do have in-depth details.
post #12 of 12 Old 09-13-2015, 02:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Would you like me to elaborate? I do have in-depth details.
Nope, I wouldn't like to hijack the thread of the OP anymore, but help him whenever he needs advice for his new setup. I think we can agree here. Right?

Take care.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page