Small business subwoofer placement improvement question - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 11-09-2015, 12:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Question Small business subwoofer placement improvement question

I'm re-evaluating the sound system in a small business (as pictured). It's not perfect, but with the exception of the subwoofer situation, it sounds acceptable. The problem is that the sales floor is extremely small and there aren't any logical positions to place any speakers, so I had to improvise a bit (front, center, and rear speakers are colored orange and the arrow indicates the direction that each faces).

The issue is that the forward-firing subwoofer is muffled by the counter that sits in front of it (the three wide blue rectangles are all ~4' tall counters and the small dark blue rectangle between them is a floor-to-ceiling wall) when standing on the area marked in green. My goal is to place it so that you can hear it whether you are the customer at the primary focal point of the room (the green cross) or behind the counter working (the purple cross). I know this isn't ideal for a surround system setup, but I'm just trying to make the most of we have to work with.

Any ideas for better subwoofer placement?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	speaker diagram.png
Views:	91
Size:	367.4 KB
ID:	1047865  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 11-10-2015, 07:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1331 Post(s)
Liked: 816
Ceiling mounted? If it's a suspended ceiling, you can actually put it above the ceiling and turn it up a just a bit, it will cover everything nicely.
Yes, I know ceiling mounting is a pain...
post #3 of 5 Old 11-10-2015, 02:44 PM - Thread Starter

Cool request for clarification (rfc)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaddie View Post
Ceiling mounted? If it's a suspended ceiling, you can actually put it above the ceiling and turn it up a just a bit, it will cover everything nicely.
Yes, I know ceiling mounting is a pain...
You might be on to something here as there is a drop ceiling. Are you saying I should suspend it from the tiles or put it above the tiles?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 11-11-2015, 01:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1331 Post(s)
Liked: 816
Quote:
Originally Posted by Channel 2012 View Post
You might be on to something here as there is a drop ceiling. Are you saying I should suspend it from the tiles or put it above the tiles?
Either way. It will actually work above the tiles. They don't block the sub frequencies much, easily compensated for. If you place the sub some distance from the listeners, you cover more area evenly.

This all assumes background music of course, not rockin' concert level stuff.
post #5 of 5 Old 11-11-2015, 07:07 PM - Thread Starter

Lightbulb ceiling

Quote:
Either way. It will actually work above the tiles. They don't block the sub frequencies much, easily compensated for.
Interesting. I'll think about setting it on top of the tiles then.

Quote:
If you place the sub some distance from the listeners, you cover more area evenly.
That is one thing I wish I could do more effectively, but it is difficult because there is so little slack on the non-detachable/non-replaceable cord. I'm not above splicing an extension into it though. As it is however, it would probably only have enough slack to sit in the ceiling directly above and slightly behind the center speaker and flatpanel (putting it only about 6-10 feet from the focal point horizontally). Do you think that would be sufficient or should I go the whole nine yards and extend it so that it can go somewhere else?

Quote:
This all assumes background music of course, not rockin' concert level stuff.
Yeah, mainly just music, YouTube videos, Xbox 360 games (in digital surround mode of course), and occasionally some live TV (but not much because Comcast is a load of garbage and will only loan us the world's crappiest cable box that outputs via an RF adapter).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page