Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 11-28-2015, 12:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
7.1 Surround Sound Advice

Hello (and thank you to those who can assist in advance!),

I have Earthquake Image 6X in-wall speakers that I'm using for (2) side and (2) rear speakers in a 7.1 surround sound system. Based on the positioning of the windows in the room I know the rear 2 speaker will be going on either side of the triple window on the rear wall, as shown in the attached middle image. The primary seating area will be a couch along that rear wall (i.e. in front of the triple window). In that rear wall image you'll notice a single window to the right. That window/corner is shown in a more head on manner in the other image provided.

My question is where should the placement of the side speakers be. Should I install the side speakers real close to the rear wall (i.e. to the left of the single window) or to the right of the single window? Obviously there are no windows on the wall that will house the right side speaker and that speaker can slide forward or back to match the other.

Should I tuck the side speakers close to the rear wall (i.e. to the left of the single window)? If I do, the center of the side speakers will be about 6" behind our heads while sitting/watching/listening and 10" or 11" away from the rear wall.

If I install the side speaker to the right of the single window, they will be about 4' in front of our heads while sitting/watching/listening.

Based on the diagram I was using to determine the placement, also provided as an image, I'm leaning toward the former option (to the left of the single window). However I worry that they might end up being too close to the rear wall/speakers. Might that be the case?

Any advice on this is greatly appreciated. I do not want to mess up in-wall speaker placement! LOL

Lanzilli
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Side Window.jpeg
Views:	40
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	1084666   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rear Wall HT.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	263.5 KB
ID:	1084674   Click image for larger version

Name:	7.1 Channel Speaker Placement.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	1084682  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 11-28-2015, 08:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 654 Post(s)
Liked: 303
My advice is to put them in front of the couch, to the right of the window. There's very little room between the window and the back wall. Angle separation of the speakers creates the immersive sound field, and that's what I'd go for. There are a number of posters here who have moved their side surrounds forward in a 7.1 system to great result.

If you go with the position left of the window, 5.1 might be the better setup with the rear speakers so close.

Last edited by jpco; 11-28-2015 at 08:22 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat

Tags
7.1 , 7.1 setup , speaker placement , Surround Sound

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page