Adding my Turntable to my PC audio system - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 12-27-2015, 03:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Question Adding my Turntable to my PC audio system

Hello all,

I'm looking for some advice/recommendations on a suitable setup for listening to my LP's on my existing turntable / phono preamp on my PC's studio monitors.

My current basement setup for vinyl listening is a Rega RPI -> Cambridge Azur 540p Phono Preamp -> Denon receiver -> Kef IQ9 floorstanders. Since my dog has issues going downstairs these days, I'd rather listen to my records upstairs in my den/studio but I don't have room to bring another set of speakers up here.

My current upstairs setup is PC -> Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 -> Mackie HR 824MarkII monitors.

Ideally, I'd like to hook the turntable into my PC via DAC or some other means (this is where my knowledge is too limited to visualize a working solution) so that I can change the audio source on my Mackie HR824 from PC to Turntable and vice versa. Unfortunately, my Focusrite interface does not include any line level input jacks.

How could I achieve something like this or something close to it?

THANK YOU for taking the time to read and reply. Really appreciate your advice on this as my records have been gathering dust!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 12-27-2015, 04:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1331 Post(s)
Liked: 816
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFontaine View Post
Hello all,

I'm looking for some advice/recommendations on a suitable setup for listening to my LP's on my existing turntable / phono preamp on my PC's studio monitors.

My current basement setup for vinyl listening is a Rega RPI -> Cambridge Azur 540p Phono Preamp -> Denon receiver -> Kef IQ9 floorstanders. Since my dog has issues going downstairs these days, I'd rather listen to my records upstairs in my den/studio but I don't have room to bring another set of speakers up here.

My current upstairs setup is PC -> Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 -> Mackie HR 824MarkII monitors.

Ideally, I'd like to hook the turntable into my PC via DAC or some other means (this is where my knowledge is too limited to visualize a working solution) so that I can change the audio source on my Mackie HR824 from PC to Turntable and vice versa. Unfortunately, my Focusrite interface does not include any line level input jacks.
The line inputs are on the front of your Scarlett, the XLR/1/4" combo jacks. Nudge the little Line/Inst switches to Line, bring the preamp in on a pair of 1/4" jacks (or RCA>1/4" TR adapters), and you've got your TT running into the PC, which should handle volume etc.
post #3 of 5 Old 12-27-2015, 08:23 PM - Thread Starter

Jaddie, THANK YOU. It didn't cross my mind that I could use these inputs, since I use them right now for microphone XLR plugs only.

I've had to monitor the input in a DAW to hear audio from these tracks, could I set the input for these tracks to always monitor in Windows?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 12-27-2015, 10:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1331 Post(s)
Liked: 816
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFontaine View Post
Jaddie, THANK YOU. It didn't cross my mind that I could use these inputs, since I use them right now for microphone XLR plugs only.

I've had to monitor the input in a DAW to hear audio from these tracks, could I set the input for these tracks to always monitor in Windows?
Usually that's found in the volume controls/mixer panel. Inputs are usually there, often muted. Just unmute and adjust.
post #5 of 5 Old 12-28-2015, 04:56 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaddie View Post
Usually that's found in the volume controls/mixer panel. Inputs are usually there, often muted. Just unmute and adjust.
Thanks again for your help. About to order two RCA>1/4" TR adapters and I'll let you know how it goes. I'm pretty excited
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat

Tags
computer , interface , turntable

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page