Setting up speakers for Atmos - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 01-07-2016, 08:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Question Setting up speakers for Atmos

So last week I got a nice deal on a Denon X3200 AVR. Since it supports Atmos and I have a few extra speakers... I figure I will put them to some use. My current setup is nothing that great: Klipsch F-20 plus a C-20 for the center, surrounds are the S20's, and the sub is a SUB-10.

The AVR supports 5.1.2, so I will be adding 2 height speakers. I'm thinking of using 2 satellite speakers from my old Klipsch Quintet 3 set. They should be good right? As far as placing goes, I'm thinking of mounting them on the ceiling. I just wanted to know if I should place them in the front, middle or rear? and if I should have the facing towards the listening area (if they are in the middle or front).

I'm a noob when it comes to most of this. All I have learned, I learned reading things on this forum.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-08-2016, 01:32 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkneo View Post
So last week I got a nice deal on a Denon X3200 AVR. Since it supports Atmos and I have a few extra speakers... I figure I will put them to some use. My current setup is nothing that great: Klipsch F-20 plus a C-20 for the center, surrounds are the S20's, and the sub is a SUB-10.

The AVR supports 5.1.2, so I will be adding 2 height speakers. I'm thinking of using 2 satellite speakers from my old Klipsch Quintet 3 set. They should be good right? As far as placing goes, I'm thinking of mounting them on the ceiling. I just wanted to know if I should place them in the front, middle or rear? and if I should have the facing towards the listening area (if they are in the middle or front).

I'm a noob when it comes to most of this. All I have learned, I learned reading things on this forum.
Most recommend top middle if you have only one set of overhead speakers.

-Rich

Quad Marantz AVR 9.2.(4+2) Atmos/DTS:X using Dual sr7010's + Dual scAtmos nr1403's
Marantz MM8003 150W/ch Amplifier Driving (L/C/R/SL/SR/SBL/SBR)
HTD Speakers L3 Tower L/R, L3 Center, Dual 12" L3 Subs, L2 Tower SL/SR, L2 Bkshlf SBL/SBR, Flat Panel WL/WR, Angled 6.5" In Ceiling FH/RH, 8" In Ceiling TM
Epson 5040UB Faux-K/3D with 106" Multi-Format Screen.
post #3 of 6 Old 01-09-2016, 06:25 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 218 Post(s)
Quoted: 7354 Post(s)
Liked: 6415
Another vote for top middle, but just slightly forward of you (easier to hear).

Sanjay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 01-31-2016, 09:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 33
So I went ahead and installed them. Currently I have the angled at the listening area. Is that ok? or should I have them facing straight down?

post #5 of 6 Old 02-01-2016, 10:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1331 Post(s)
Liked: 819
Speakers should always face the listening position, with the exception of dipole surrounds. The typical speaker only has about a 15-30 degree conical listening window.
post #6 of 6 Old 08-31-2019, 06:41 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi Darkneo, are you still using the quintets as your Atmos speakers? What do you think about their performance in doing Atmos duties? I have 4 of them and thinking of using them as front heights and rear heights. Was going to send you PM/DM, but kind of a newbie here and not allowed to do it. Thanks for your response.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page