REW output channels not displaying properly - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 01-09-2016, 02:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 46
REW output channels not displaying properly

I've spent lots of time trying to figure out this problem, and have repeated every step in the guide about 5 times now. Regardless, I'm still having 2 showstopping problems with REW:

1. REW only shows 2 channels in the Output drop down. I've set up the proper surround (5.1) in the Sounds section, and am able to successfully play videos in full surround from my computer and get sound through all of the speakers.
2. If I try to do a sweep in REW on HD Audio Output 1, only my PC speaker plays..... no sound at all through the front left speaker.

Obviously I'm missing something here.... Can someone please point me in the right direction?

Last edited by turbonut; 01-11-2016 at 11:08 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-10-2016, 10:15 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 33
My system will do the same but only if my Receiver is in standby. As it then uses the passthough function in HDMI. Once switching on my receiver, if I don't close and restart REW it wont automatically update and reflect the proper channel configuration.

Classe CA2300 CA5300 CA2100
Classe CP800 "2.6". Marantz AV8805 "7.6.4"
B&W 2x800Di HTM1D 4xSCMS 4xCCM7.4
2x Dual Opposed DIY HST18's
2x Triangular DIY UM18-22's
post #3 of 6 Old 01-11-2016, 05:36 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Ahhh okay thanks for the insight! My receiver is on when I've tried this, and the strange thing is when I play a youtube/Netflix/whatever video through my laptop I get full surround sound from the HT speakers.

It's just REW that won't play properly..... man I'm about to give up on this and just sell the UMIK-1. It's been very frustrating. I've seen countless people getting it to work properly, so it must either be inherent to my laptop or complete idiocy on my part (the latter being more likely lol).

Last edited by turbonut; 01-11-2016 at 05:56 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 01-11-2016, 12:06 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 6710 Post(s)
Liked: 6263
When you are playing the Youtube or Netflix videos, what surround mode is your AVR in?? My point is, your PC may only be outputting 2 channels but you have it matrixed to 5 in the AVR (Dolby PLII for example).

If your PC is indeed outputting 5.1, you should be able to put your AVR into MULTI-CH IN mode and hear sounds from all 5 speakers + sub.

This would be the first thing to test, then we can go from there.
post #5 of 6 Old 01-11-2016, 03:28 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 87
turbonut, im going to try to help you because i was fighting the same problem you are. I got past it today so maybe i can help you. No matter what i tried, REW would not recognize my 7.1 hdmi port. I deleted both REW and ASIO4ALL and called it quits last night but today the bug was still biting so i tried again.

What i did was uninstall both programs, shut down my laptop and then hook up to the avr via hdmi. Started up the laptop and make sure that i was outputting at hdmi in 7.1 mode. checked using setting under playback devices and then ran a youtube video to test the speakers. Then i disabled the pc speaker in playback devices so the only thing showing was my hdmi port.

After doing that, i then installed REW and ASIO4ALL. Went into preferences and set it up as shown in all the posts i have read on it and low and behold, all 8 channels available for testing. now i just need to get a mic. I think the keys is to make sure to disable anything but the hdmi port under playback devices. Dont forget that if you use the laptop without having it hooked up to the receiver you will have to reenable the pc speakers under playback devices. I know now i can get my REW to the next step. Good luck and i hope this helps
post #6 of 6 Old 01-14-2020, 01:24 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked: 206
Having the same problem. Trying to find a resolution.....UGH.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page