PC configurations - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1 Old 02-20-2016, 08:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
PC configurations

Sorry if this is in the wrong place. Seems like the right place since I'm not really looking for specific components. More so looking to figure out possible configurations and the best route to go. Not that I'm not willing to take suggestions on components of coarse.

I've recently joined the audiophile world and I'm hooked. I started with my headphone setup. I purchased a Schiit Modi 2 Uber and a Magni 2 Uber along with some Sennheiser HD 598's. I'm in love. I do want to eventually get better headphones, but before that, I would like to upgrade my speakers. I'm currently using some 5.1 Logitech speakers I picked up YEARS ago for like $50.

My first thought was to just go with powered speakers. Something like Audioengine's A5+ or if I could talk myself into it, HD6's. I would naturally set it up as PC>Modi>Magni>Speakers.

Doing my research on powered speakers, I was starting to move away from Audioengine as I was getting other powered speakers recommended over those. Ultimately I saw a lot of people recommend passive speakers instead.

So I started to look into passive speakers. I was guided to the SMSL SA50 (1) amp. The setup would then be PC>Modi>Magni>SA50>Speakers.

Lets say I got that setup with some nice Paradigm Mini Monitor v7's. Now eventually I would like to have a sub added into there somewhere. I actually have this Sony sub (2) just laying around that I could use till I get a better one, if needed.

As I understand it, I wouldn't be able to use the sub in that configuration. I would need to find a replacement for the SA50 that was 2.1 instead of 2.0. I'm not even sure that would fix the problem since I don't need the amp for the sub as it has it's own amp. All of this is leading me back to powered speakers since I assume I could connect my sub to the Audioengine speakers, for example, with no issues.

I am at a loss on where to go from here. Your advice would be very helpful.

Code:
I hope this is ok. I needed to make sure you knew what these items were. Wouldn't let me post links.
(1) amazon.com/gp/product/B00F0H8TOC
(2) amazon.com/Sony-SA-W2500-Performance-Subwoofer-Version/dp/B000OL3QTW
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat

Tags
computer , configuration , mangi , speakers , subwoofer

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page