AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/91-audio-theory-setup-chat/)
-   -   Help regarding buffer loss in VLC with external output (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/91-audio-theory-setup-chat/2508337-help-regarding-buffer-loss-vlc-external-output.html)

Anttirokkr 07-07-2016 06:23 AM

Help regarding buffer loss in VLC with external output

2 Attachment(s)
Hello guys, I really need your help on this one...

So I've finally managed to get a very intresting cable (3,5mm jack to Toslink) for my macbook pro. Now I can use DTS 5.1 with my Kenwood Amp. (Who knew that the 3,5mm jack was also a digital output? :eek: )

[Note: the reason I use the jack/tosling digital as an audio output is because my TV can't read DTS, and can't send DTS surround sound to my Kenwood Amp, resulting in Stereo sound if I use HDMI also as sound output from my macbook.]

I've been looking at VLC statistics while playing some files, first when I'm playing the video directly on my Macbook I get 0 lost buffers, maybe 1 or 2 lost video buffers when I open the file but then it's perfect. But when I connect my macbook to my TV (HDMI from Macbook to Tv, and Digital audio from my 3,5mm jack port to my receiver's toslink input), I start getting audio Buffer drops (I can't hear the loss, feels flawless to my ears but I'm curious about the reported numbers in the statistics of VLC)
I attached two screenshots of the issue, one displays playback data statistics on my mac, the other displays them on my 47 inch sony bravia TV.

[Note: I tried playback both audio/video via HDMI to my Asus monitor, no buffer data loss there too, this buffer drop only presents itself while using the jack/toslink cable and digital audio out; tried various files same result....so in the end...WTF are DECODED BLOCKS / PLAYED BUFFERS / LOST BUFFERS !? :mad:]

Any ideas? should I simply ignore the issue or is it something solvable? Thank you for your time. Best

donktard 07-07-2016 07:20 AM

Sounds like the oldest issue in the world when reproducing from PC to TV. It happens because of unmatched framerates, like...TV has 23.976 FPS and PC sends exactly 24, so every X frames you have a frame dropped.
Unless it happens too often and you can easily spot it and it annoys you, you can simply ignore it.
But if its causing issues you can try KODI instead of VLC, it has some pretty good options for matching framerates and curing those hiccups.

Anttirokkr 07-07-2016 07:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by donktard (Post 45205777)
Sounds like the oldest issue in the world when reproducing from PC to TV. It happens because of unmatched framerates, like...TV has 23.976 FPS and PC sends exactly 24, so every X frames you have a frame dropped.
Unless it happens too often and you can easily spot it and it annoys you, you can simply ignore it.
But if its causing issues you can try KODI instead of VLC, it has some pretty good options for matching framerates and curing those hiccups.

Thanks, will look into that app, hoping it handles audio output a bit more efficiently :D