Help regarding buffer loss in VLC with external output - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 07-07-2016, 06:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Unhappy Help regarding buffer loss in VLC with external output

Hello guys, I really need your help on this one...

So I've finally managed to get a very intresting cable (3,5mm jack to Toslink) for my macbook pro. Now I can use DTS 5.1 with my Kenwood Amp. (Who knew that the 3,5mm jack was also a digital output? )

[Note: the reason I use the jack/tosling digital as an audio output is because my TV can't read DTS, and can't send DTS surround sound to my Kenwood Amp, resulting in Stereo sound if I use HDMI also as sound output from my macbook.]

I've been looking at VLC statistics while playing some files, first when I'm playing the video directly on my Macbook I get 0 lost buffers, maybe 1 or 2 lost video buffers when I open the file but then it's perfect. But when I connect my macbook to my TV (HDMI from Macbook to Tv, and Digital audio from my 3,5mm jack port to my receiver's toslink input), I start getting audio Buffer drops (I can't hear the loss, feels flawless to my ears but I'm curious about the reported numbers in the statistics of VLC)
I attached two screenshots of the issue, one displays playback data statistics on my mac, the other displays them on my 47 inch sony bravia TV.

[Note: I tried playback both audio/video via HDMI to my Asus monitor, no buffer data loss there too, this buffer drop only presents itself while using the jack/toslink cable and digital audio out; tried various files same result....so in the end...WTF are DECODED BLOCKS / PLAYED BUFFERS / LOST BUFFERS !? ]

Any ideas? should I simply ignore the issue or is it something solvable? Thank you for your time. Best
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-07-07 at 14.56.jpeg
Views:	283
Size:	125.3 KB
ID:	1532777   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-07-07 at 15.07.jpeg
Views:	284
Size:	126.4 KB
ID:	1532785  

Last edited by Anttirokkr; 07-07-2016 at 07:17 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 07-07-2016, 07:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1012 Post(s)
Liked: 561
Sounds like the oldest issue in the world when reproducing from PC to TV. It happens because of unmatched framerates, like...TV has 23.976 FPS and PC sends exactly 24, so every X frames you have a frame dropped.
Unless it happens too often and you can easily spot it and it annoys you, you can simply ignore it.
But if its causing issues you can try KODI instead of VLC, it has some pretty good options for matching framerates and curing those hiccups.
post #3 of 3 Old 07-07-2016, 07:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by donktard View Post
Sounds like the oldest issue in the world when reproducing from PC to TV. It happens because of unmatched framerates, like...TV has 23.976 FPS and PC sends exactly 24, so every X frames you have a frame dropped.
Unless it happens too often and you can easily spot it and it annoys you, you can simply ignore it.
But if its causing issues you can try KODI instead of VLC, it has some pretty good options for matching framerates and curing those hiccups.
Thanks, will look into that app, hoping it handles audio output a bit more efficiently
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat

Tags
macbook pro , output , setup , sound , vlc

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page