7.1 HTIB died, looking at advice for non-HTIB replacement - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 8Likes
  • 1 Post By gajCA
  • 7 Post By gajCA

post #1 of 20 Old 10-26-2016, 01:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 2
7.1 HTIB died, looking at advice for non-HTIB replacement

So after about 6 years my 7.1 HTIB system died. (Panasonic F76 error). So now I'm looking at replacement options and realizing I could probably use some help in finding the best way to do this.

Since I bought the HTIB, there have been a LOT of changes in my life. I've gotten married, have had a couple kids with another on the way, and moved out of my apartment and into a house. The way we used the system also changed over the years. The results of all this are that for various reasons I'm thinking a more robust and customizable system would be ideal.

From a budget standpoint, it's pretty tight at this point. This wasn't exactly planned due to the sudden demise of the existing system, and with another child on the way there are other priorities currently... so anything done would need to be done on the cheap... for now.

Usage: Currently I have a PS3 and my Computer running via HDMI into the TV. The bluray functionality of the HTIB I figure can be absorbed by the PS3 at this point. Most content viewing is done either via Netflix streaming(ps3) or from the computer. I also will sometimes play video games on the PS3. With the HTIB I ran an optical audio from the PS3 and Computer into the HTIB, while the HDMI video was run directly to the television. To try and simplify switching between devices for my wife, guests, and kids who are approaching a TV on their own age quickly, I really like the idea of a A/V Receiver that can act as a central A/V switch instead of a solution t hat requires input changes on multiple devices or wire swaps.

What I'm hoping for/thinking: the old 7.1 system was great while a bachelor, not so much once married. The speakers due to placement didn't really fit with the look my Wife was liking in our living room. So I know she would greatly appreciate a setup that was not as obvious or ugly.

I also don't think I really need the 7.1 and a 5.1 setup would be enough for the space and usage at this time. I honestly wouldn't even be opposed to a setup that would start me off with a smaller stereo or 2.1 setup that I could expand as budget allowed. (due to budget concerns I'd even be willing to reuse the HTIB speakers, but at 3ohm from what I'm reading that's not feasible). I would not be opposed (and maybe even prefer) to spend a little more now for a system with a few more features that may not be used now, but which would give me the ability to upgrade the system in the future should needs change (ie. a 7.2 receiver instead of 5.1 receiver).

For both Bang/Buck reasons, as well as the 'fit into the wife's decorating' advantages, I wouldn't be opposed to the idea of DIY speakers. While I haven't built speakers before, I do have experience with assembling/repairing electronics.

I know I'm asking a lot here, but I'm hoping you may be able to help point me in the right direction or give me some suggestions. Based off what i've seen from a few other "Tell me what to do" threads, I've tried to provide a good base idea on what I'm needing as well as the source and type of content.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 10-27-2016, 09:57 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 46
IMHO, the best way to start is a good set of front speakers (either bookshelf or towers, depending on your space) and a decent receiver. It doesn't need to be expensive, and really you could start small and upgrade later.

From there as your budget allows, add a sub, and then a center, and then surrounds for a 5.1 set up. If you want to move to 7.1 later you can, if not you can stick with 5.1. You might just find that the 2.1 set up, or 3.1 with a center is all you need until the kids are more grown up. Don't go the sound bar route as you leave yourself with no upgrade path.

For tight budgets, use craigslist to your strong advantage. Usually stuff in great to perfect condition are nearly 40 to 50% off retail, or lower in some instances. I would purchase a modern receiver though; for this buying last years clearance model works great for budgets.
post #3 of 20 Old 10-27-2016, 10:09 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 51
I agree with this, start out with a good 2.0 or 2.1 system, and build it up as you go along. You can get the cheapest surrounds you can find, if you still want the 5.1 or 7.1 experience. Choices for surrounds, and maybe center, are a bit dependent on your mounting options (stand mounted, wall mount, in-wall or in-ceiling). There's lots of good affordable brands to start with. I started with PSB myself, they're still making good quality entry-level speakers I believe. Epos is a more recent newcomer I hear good things about. If you can try before you buy, that's always best (plus you'll have a local dealer who will support you if something breaks). And yes, Craigslist / eBay / Audiogon can yield some great finds, if you know what you want.

For receivers, you didn't mention your TV, but if you don't need the latest / greatest features you can save a lot of money. A simple 5.1 or even 7.1 receiver that only supports 1080p is considered obsolete these days, so if you don't need 3D / 4K / HDMI 2.0 / HDCP 2.2 / Atmos / DTS:X you can definitely save a lot with an older model. I'm partial to the older NAD receivers myself, I think they were a great bang for buck and very well-made.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 Old 10-27-2016, 10:39 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by clechien View Post
IMHO, the best way to start is a good set of front speakers (either bookshelf or towers, depending on your space) and a decent receiver. It doesn't need to be expensive, and really you could start small and upgrade later.
Thanks for the advice.

Since I'm new to the receiver world, What would be good features or things to look for in a receiver? What are things that I should consider must have or "get if you can afford", and what types of features would be wastes of money, overkill, or just straight up gimmicks that I should ignore?
post #5 of 20 Old 10-27-2016, 10:44 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by finiteyoda View Post
I agree with this, start out with a good 2.0 or 2.1 system, and build it up as you go along. You can get the cheapest surrounds you can find, if you still want the 5.1 or 7.1 experience. Choices for surrounds, and maybe center, are a bit dependent on your mounting options (stand mounted, wall mount, in-wall or in-ceiling). There's lots of good affordable brands to start with. I started with PSB myself, they're still making good quality entry-level speakers I believe. Epos is a more recent newcomer I hear good things about. If you can try before you buy, that's always best (plus you'll have a local dealer who will support you if something breaks). And yes, Craigslist / eBay / Audiogon can yield some great finds, if you know what you want.

For receivers, you didn't mention your TV, but if you don't need the latest / greatest features you can save a lot of money. A simple 5.1 or even 7.1 receiver that only supports 1080p is considered obsolete these days, so if you don't need 3D / 4K / HDMI 2.0 / HDCP 2.2 / Atmos / DTS:X you can definitely save a lot with an older model. I'm partial to the older NAD receivers myself, I think they were a great bang for buck and very well-made.
I've got an older Panasonic Plasma set, however as the kids are getting older I am also considering another television purchase to give the Wife and/or I the ability to watch something else while the kids are watching their shows. I haven't yet decided if i wanted to go the "get a larger/nicer Set to replace the plasma as the primary screen" route, or the "go cheaper and get a smaller set for secondary purposes" route. I'm honestly leaning more towards option A though in part due to the Television's age. [It's actually one of the Panasonic Tru2Way sets from several years ago before the the CE company's decided to abandon the tech]
post #6 of 20 Old 10-27-2016, 11:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 837 Post(s)
Liked: 674
To help you out, we need some basic questions answered:

1. What is your budget?
2. What TV do you have?
3. What are the dimensions of your room (LxWxH), and any other open areas (ie: open-plan living/dining room/kitchen)?
4. What are your listening habits?
5. How far from your TV do you sit?
6. You already mentioned WAF (Wife Acceptance Factor) - as in, you are somewhat opposed to "ugly" speakers. There are many speakers that are not simple "black boxes".
7. What are your placement options?

There are many, many speakers and receivers out there. If you answer these questions, we may be able to steer you towards a solution that you and your family will enjoy for a long time. One thing - I wouldn't spend over $300 on an AVR. I would suggest a 7.1 AVR, since that will give you the easiest way to upgrade. For now, stay away from Atmos, as AVR's with the required amplified channels quickly go over the $1000 point, and then you have to get the speakers for it. Since you're on a budget, and you're building this into your living room (I assume), it's IMHO an unnecessary addition. If you have, or are planning to get, a 4K TV, then you need to look at an AVR with 4K pass-through some more bells and whistles.

You can connect your PC, PS3, cable/sat box (if you have one), streaming device (if you have one), etc directly to your AVR with HDMI cables. You would then connect the AVR to your TV with one HDMI cable; that way, the AVR would do all the switching and decoding of the various audio/video formats.

Lastly, a good subwoofer is pretty much required for movies these days. This is NOT something you should skimp on (I am speaking from experience). You MAY get away with using your existing sub from your HTiB, as long as it is a powered sub, and you have an LFE input on it (looks like an RCA input). Decent subs start around the $250 point. Good subs start at around $500. The bigger the volume of your room, the bigger (and more expensive) your subwoofer(s) need to be, since your subwoofer sees the entire volume of space around it.
post #7 of 20 Old 10-27-2016, 11:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 794 Post(s)
Liked: 665
At the very least, you are going to have to buy a new receiver. If those really are 3 ohm speakers, they will probably need replaced too. Also keep in mind that if you use the same speakers, your system will sound pretty much the same. You did not mention budget and that would be helpful. I am a fan of Yamaha receivers as some of the best values and best reliability. As was mentioned, a previous model is a great deal. You mentioned switching. Many receivers must be on to enable input switching. Starting with the RX-V6xx series, Yamaha's will change inputs while off if you just want to use the TV speakers. Here is a good value on last year's model
https://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-RX-V67...ds=yamaha+rx-v
post #8 of 20 Old 10-27-2016, 11:50 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 231 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9261 Post(s)
Liked: 6368
A decent AVR can be had in the $300 range or less, especially if you are willing to go refurbished.

A good pair of speakers can be had for around $250 at the minimum.

A good matching center is around $150.

A good subwoofer starts around $400.

A pair of rear speakers can be had for about $150.

You can certainly find things for less, especially speakers and subs, but the dropoff below those price points is substantial while the increase in sound quality by spending twice as much is not nearly as substantial.
dctootall likes this.

Geoff A. J., California
post #9 of 20 Old 10-27-2016, 12:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigpig View Post
To help you out, we need some basic questions answered:

1. What is your budget?
2. What TV do you have?
3. What are the dimensions of your room (LxWxH), and any other open areas (ie: open-plan living/dining room/kitchen)?
4. What are your listening habits?
5. How far from your TV do you sit?
6. You already mentioned WAF (Wife Acceptance Factor) - as in, you are somewhat opposed to "ugly" speakers. There are many speakers that are not simple "black boxes".
7. What are your placement options?
1. Honestly.... right now, non-existent. I can maybe squeeze a couple hundred ($200-$300) within the next month or two to get started. Unfortunately the timing sucks as we have the holidays and then a baby coming the beginning of the year [which will bring it's own expenses with higher priority than daddy's toys/hobbies ].
2. Current TV is a 46" Panasonic Tru2Way Plasma. It's probably about 6-7 years old now.
3.Primary room is 13'x16'x8'. At the end of the 13' there is simple a half wall/bar into the kitchen/breakfast nook that adds another 16'.
4. Movies, Television, and the occasional video game. There are a lot of kids programming currently, as well as some adult prime-time television in the evening. I know my Wife would definately appreciate an easier way to listen to music on the system than what the HTIB allowed for. Video is usually sourced via internet sources (netflix/etc).
5. the couch is about 12ft from the television, however we also will often watch the tv while cooking in the kitchen or sometimes even at the kitchen table in the back half of the open floorplan. (the 20ft range?)
6. While I am aware there are options outside of the "ugly black box" variety, I also know with my limited budget it limits those options. One reason I'm debating the DIY options is the added fit and finish options within the budget.
7. With the HTIB 7.1 speakers, I had the center speaker on the TV stand in front of the plasma. Next to the TV stand I had the 2 front floor speakers. The surrounds were placed on the corner of a desk, a bookcase, an end table, and tucked on the floor. [compromises made due to the WAF... and the space i had to work with as well as the HTIB speaker wire length]. I'll admit that the 2.1 start of the system sounds good to me not only for budget reasons, but also because it would be much easier to place the speakers as my ability to run wire is limited.

Quote:
Lastly, a good subwoofer is pretty much required for movies these days. This is NOT something you should skimp on (I am speaking from experience). You MAY get away with using your existing sub from your HTiB, as long as it is a powered sub, and you have an LFE input on it (looks like an RCA input). Decent subs start around the $250 point. Good subs start at around $500. The bigger the volume of your room, the bigger (and more expensive) your subwoofer(s) need to be, since your subwoofer sees the entire volume of space around it.
I'm unfortunately not going to be able to reuse any of the HTIB speakers, including the sub. Based off the room size, how big a sub (or type) should I be looking at getting? Ideally I would like/need something that would sound good (not necessarily rattle, but provide good quality) both during daytime use, and late night while the kids/family sleep upstairs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfster View Post
At the very least, you are going to have to buy a new receiver. If those really are 3 ohm speakers, they will probably need replaced too. Also keep in mind that if you use the same speakers, your system will sound pretty much the same. You did not mention budget and that would be helpful. I am a fan of Yamaha receivers as some of the best values and best reliability. As was mentioned, a previous model is a great deal. You mentioned switching. Many receivers must be on to enable input switching. Starting with the RX-V6xx series, Yamaha's will change inputs while off if you just want to use the TV speakers. Here is a good value on last year's model
While we are currently using the TV speakers, we have grown accustomed to the much better quality and volume provided by the HTIB speakers. Unfortunately as I mentioned, I'm going to have to replace them all as everything I've read/seen says 3ohm speakers with a "real" receiver is a bad idea. the idea of pretty much having the receiver on at all times for switching and audio is almost a given based off our traditional usage patterns.
post #10 of 20 Old 10-27-2016, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dctootall View Post
1. Honestly.... right now, non-existent. I can maybe squeeze a couple hundred ($200-$300) within the next month or two to get started. Unfortunately the timing sucks as we have the holidays and then a baby coming the beginning of the year [which will bring it's own expenses with higher priority than daddy's toys/hobbies ].

Looks like your budget won't expand for a while so I suggest buying a basic 5.1 AVR and some $150/pair speakers that, down the road, can be moved to be used as rear surrounds.

Here's a $300 +/- system that will do that for you.

Denon 75 watt AVR $150: http://www.accessories4less.com/make...y/1.html#!more

Q Acoustics speakers, (a B&W like neutral sound signature), $180/pair but comes with some excellent speaker wire terminated in Banana Plugs for $180, good WAF factor as well: https://www.qacoustics.com/bookshelf...aker-pair.html

You really can't do much better for a system that offers future upgrading possibilities and will sound very nice right off the bad as a 2.0 system.

Geoff A. J., California
post #11 of 20 Old 10-27-2016, 12:29 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked: 229
Unfortunately your goals and your budget do not match. At $300 maximum, I'm not sure you can build even a 2.0 system without buying used items (which is fine), but harder for us to advise you on. I would get a new receiver, though. Here is the cheapest model I could recommend: http://www.accessories4less.com/make...specifications

However, it is a good bit older of a model and I'm not sure if it supports 4K HDR if you go that route with a TV, and just a little bit more money will get you a much better option.

For the speakers, you can't realistically get more than a front bookshelf pair on that budget. This is my recommendation, and they are very very nice looking in person for your wife. I own the larger bookshelf in cherry, and the center channel that matches is excellent for dialogue when you save more money. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Polk-Audio-R...-/391442100601

My recommendation will put you at $375, and I wouldn't really get components lesser than these as you'll regret it. If you can't afford this now, ask Santa for some of it

Front L&R: Polk RTi A3 (cherry finish)
Center: Polk CSi A6 (cherry finish)
Surrounds: Polk FXi A6 (black finish)
Subwoofer: Dual Sealed SI-HT 18" with iNuke 3000dsp
Receiver: Yamaha RX-V673
TV: 55" LCD
post #12 of 20 Old 10-27-2016, 12:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Can you provide the model number of your HTIB so we can help determine what is salvageable. It is suspect that they are actually 3 ohm speakers. Most HTIB's I have seen are 6 ohm speakers and those would be fine. You could try them as the worst that would happen would be that your receiver would go into protection mode if you drove them too hard. Since your budget is tight, you might look for a used receiver. The Yamaha RX-V3xx series will fit your needs if you can find one at a good price. I have an older RX-V373 in my TV room which is about the size of your room. I used to have an HTIB in that room and used the old speakers for a while and gradually replaced them all. I also have a Yamaha RX-V677 in my larger "theater" room. While it has a lot more features, the actual sound is very similar. Onkyo offers a lot of bang for the buck but there have been some HDMI reliability issues. Hopefully they have been resolved on the newer models. For surrounds on a budget. consider the Realistic Minimus 7 speakers-or any in that family. They make great sounding surround speakers and can be had for little money on eBay(under $40/pair). They are small and inconspicuous so there is a good WAF. Add a nice center and a decent sub and you are good to go. If you decide to go the Minimus 7 route, the RadioShack Optimus center channel speakers would probably be a good sonic match.

Last edited by golfster; 10-27-2016 at 12:45 PM.
post #13 of 20 Old 10-27-2016, 01:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zpatter1 View Post
Unfortunately your goals and your budget do not match. At $300 maximum, I'm not sure you can build even a 2.0 system without buying used items (which is fine), but harder for us to advise you on. I would get a new receiver, though. Here is the cheapest model I could recommend: http://www.accessories4less.com/make...specifications

However, it is a good bit older of a model and I'm not sure if it supports 4K HDR if you go that route with a TV, and just a little bit more money will get you a much better option.

For the speakers, you can't realistically get more than a front bookshelf pair on that budget. This is my recommendation, and they are very very nice looking in person for your wife. I own the larger bookshelf in cherry, and the center channel that matches is excellent for dialogue when you save more money. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Polk-Audio-R...-/391442100601

My recommendation will put you at $375, and I wouldn't really get components lesser than these as you'll regret it. If you can't afford this now, ask Santa for some of it
As I'm getting a better idea on what is out there and what I want, the Santa route is definitely looking like a legitimate option. I'll be honest and also say that that as I'm looking at the receivers I'm probably going to have to set myself to living with the TV audio for a couple months so I can save up to do things right. I'd much rather wait a couple months and spend a little more for a good base I can build off of and will last me a few years, then rush and get what I can now, but find it won't grow with me as well.

Bonus..... might be able to piece-meal things as I go, including a nicer receiver on sale or used around the holidays/new year as santa upgrade's other people's components.

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfster View Post
Can you provide the model number of your HTIB so we can help determine what is salvageable. It is suspect that they are actually 3 ohm speakers. Most HTIB's I have seen are 6 ohm speakers and those would be fine. You could try them as the worst that would happen would be that your receiver would go into protection mode if you drove them too hard. Since your budget is tight, you might look for a used receiver. The Yamaha RX-V3xx series will fit your needs if you can find one at a good price. I have an older RX-V373 in my TV room which is about the size of your room. I used to have an HTIB in that room and used the old speakers for a while and gradually replaced them all. I also have a Yamaha RX-V677 in my larger "theater" room. While it has a lot more features, the actual sound is very similar. Onkyo offers a lot of bang for the buck but there have been some HDMI reliability issues. Hopefully they have been resolved on the newer models. For surrounds on a budget. consider the Realistic Minimus 7 speakers-or any in that family. They make great sounding surround speakers and can be had for little money on eBay(under $40/pair). They are small and inconspicuous so there is a good WAF. Add a nice center and a decent sub and you are good to go. If you decide to go the Minimus 7 route, the RadioShack Optimus center channel speakers would probably be a good sonic match.
The HTIB is the Panasonic SC-BT300 1250w 7.1 system.

http://shop.panasonic.com/support-only/SC-BT300.html

I'm getting the speaker rating from looking on the label on the back of the actual speakers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gajCA View Post
Looks like your budget won't expand for a while so I suggest buying a basic 5.1 AVR and some $150/pair speakers that, down the road, can be moved to be used as rear surrounds.

Here's a $300 +/- system that will do that for you.

Denon 75 watt AVR $150: http://www.accessories4less.com/make...y/1.html#!more

Q Acoustics speakers, (a B&W like neutral sound signature), $180/pair but comes with some excellent speaker wire terminated in Banana Plugs for $180, good WAF factor as well: https://www.qacoustics.com/bookshelf...aker-pair.html

You really can't do much better for a system that offers future upgrading possibilities and will sound very nice right off the bad as a 2.0 system.
Thanks for the suggestions. I MAY have discovered a way to avoid most of the WAF issues thanks to something suggested in the DIY forum., so if that pans out it may open up some additional ugly but nice sounding speaker options.
post #14 of 20 Old 10-27-2016, 01:08 PM

OK, on second thought you are the person I've been looking for on AVS to send my Dayton Audio Bookshelves to along with the matching center...I'll explain why later but I'm willing to send them to you free...you don't even have to pay shipping. You just have to promise that when you are done with them down the road you give them away also.

So all you would have to buy for now is the $150 receiver I linked in my previous post.

Just PM me your address and I'll send them to you, no strings attached.

If you want to replicate my old 3.1 system in my secondary room, I'd highly suggest this $75 subwoofer that punches WAY above its weight and plays down to a clean 30hz; that plus the speakers I'm sending you should sound far better than your old system.

http://www.accessories4less.com/make...r-black/1.html

So, for a 3.1 system you would be forking out about $250 or so and you'll be very pleased I suspect.

Now, if you care, here's the back story.

My main HT is about $7500 worth of gear and sounds great but on a whim, after I gave my sis in law my three old Optimus speakers to complete here 5.1 system using a pair of Optimus speakers she already had, (and adding the sub I suggested to you), I decided, as a test, to buy some very inexpensive Dayton Audio speakers to replace them...the three speakers cost a total of about $80 and I already had the Yamaha sub I've suggested to you. I figured for $80 it might kinda suck but would most assuredly be better than the speakers on the 50" Panasonic Plasma in my secondary room.

http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-...-pair--300-652

http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-...eaker--300-453

But you know what, when I hooked up the three Dayton Audio speakers to my receiver along with the sub it sounded PRETTY DARNED GOOD; far better than I could expect and I've been recommending them to those on a severe budget ever since. Better I think than the Bose 5.1 systems some of my friends have bought for FAR more money.

So why am I getting rid of the Dayton Audio speakers?

Because after I bought them I decided to buy some $800/pair speakers that were selling for under $400 new, (Martin Logan LX16s), as I really used my secondary room more for music than watching TV in 3.1. What really sealed the deal was my sis in law returned the very large Optimus center I had given her and bought a smaller one to sit on top of the TV as the Optimus was simply too heavy.

So into the garage went the Dayton Audios and I vowed to give them to someone on a severe budget here on AVS.

The Dayton Audio speakers I'll send you probably have about 20 hours on them since I bought them earlier this year so essentially brand new.

If you get the hankering to go 5.1 go ahead and move the B652s I'm sending you to the rears and buy these improved B652 AIRs with a better tweeter for your fronts. $60/pair.

http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-...-pair--300-651

Down the road you can buy some other speakers in the price ranges I suggested in my previous post which will sound better than what I'm sending you, to be sure, but I'm going to bet what I'm sending you will sound better than what you had.
acefr, golfster, sigpig and 4 others like this.

Geoff A. J., California

Last edited by gajCA; 10-27-2016 at 01:13 PM.
post #15 of 20 Old 10-27-2016, 01:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
OK, on second thought you are the person I've been looking for on AVS to send my Dayton Audio Bookshelves to along with the matching center...I'll explain why later but I'm willing to send them to you free...you don't even have to pay shipping. You just have to promise that when you are done with them down the road you give them away also.

So all you would have to buy for now is the $150 receiver I linked in my previous post.
WOW, what a great person to make such a great offer. That Yamaha receiver that was previously linked has a simulated surround mode and the Denon may have it too if you only have front speakers and will allow you to expand later. I have read good things about those Dayton bookshelves and it will be a fine sounding system. Looking at the Panasonic manual, those speakers are 3 ohm and just have a single full range driver in each of them. There will be no comparison in sound.

Last edited by golfster; 10-27-2016 at 02:06 PM.
post #16 of 20 Old 10-27-2016, 06:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 837 Post(s)
Liked: 674
Quote:
OK, on second thought you are the person I've been looking for on AVS to send my Dayton Audio Bookshelves to along with the matching center
I know you've been "threatening" to do this for a while - this is an incredibly generous offer...
post #17 of 20 Old 10-27-2016, 07:53 PM

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 2668 Post(s)
Liked: 3016
Quote:
I know you've been "threatening" to do this for a while - this is an incredibly generous offer...
+1

gajCA is making Christmas in October for the OP

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
Living room HT: Energy RC-50, Ascend Sierra Horizon w/RAAL, Ascend Sierra 1, PSB Imagine XA | PSA V1500 and CHT SS 18.1 | Denon X4200W | modified Dayton SA1000
Other rooms: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | Parasound Zamp | JBL LSR305
Headphone & Portable AKG K7XX | HE-400i | NAD HP50 | Sony MDR-1A | Soundmagic E50 & E80 | X5ii | DX50 | E12
post #18 of 20 Old 10-27-2016, 09:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Just PM me your address and I'll send them to you, no strings attached.

Wow. Thank you so very much. I seriously don't know what to say.

PM will be incoming.
post #19 of 20 Old 10-28-2016, 02:41 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked: 229
Wow @gajCA that is really nice of you! OP, you are getting some speakers that will start you off very well (and likely be all you ever need) so you can devote your funds to a nicer receiver. I'd get this one due to the HDCP 2.2 support for 4K video:

http://www.accessories4less.com/make...eceiver/1.html

This is a 7.2 receiver that will be all you need for years to come most likely.

Front L&R: Polk RTi A3 (cherry finish)
Center: Polk CSi A6 (cherry finish)
Surrounds: Polk FXi A6 (black finish)
Subwoofer: Dual Sealed SI-HT 18" with iNuke 3000dsp
Receiver: Yamaha RX-V673
TV: 55" LCD
post #20 of 20 Old 10-28-2016, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dctootall View Post

Wow. Thank you so very much. I seriously don't know what to say.

PM will be incoming.
On their way.

I'll dig out the tracking numbers from USPS and PM them to you tomorrow.

Enjoy.

Geoff A. J., California
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page