7.2 surround and setup advice please - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 11-28-2016, 07:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
7.2 surround and setup advice please

In the middle of constructing a home theater room in my basement and would appreciate some feedback and thoughts. Room is approximately 12'5 x 18'. The screen is going to be projected to nearly max size of the 12'5 wall.

Equipment
Epson HC 2045 Projector
110x200 Carl's Blackout Cloth Projector Screen Material

Yamaha RX-V679BL 7.2 Receiver
Pioneer SP-C22 Andrew Jones Designed Center Channel
Pioneer SP-BS22-LR Andrew Jones Designed Bookshelf for Left and Right Channel

Monoprice 13773 Premium Select 5.1 Channel Home Theater Satellite Speakers & Subwoofer
These will be use for ... FPL, FPR, SL, SR, SB
Not sure if this will work and allow for DSP switching from 6.1 to 7.1+2, so I might have to pick up another small set of bookshelf speakers for the SBL and SBR instead. Monoprice set leaves me short one speaker to do this.

I have another cheap Sony brand sub I was going to add as well. Will probably have to address the subwoofer situation down the road.

I've attached a couple of pics after I tore out the drop ceiling to raise the roof height another 10.5".

Thanks for the feedback/advice
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20161123_195939.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	159.6 KB
ID:	1794417   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20161123_200005.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	148.4 KB
ID:	1794425  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 11-28-2016, 10:37 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 4804 Post(s)
Liked: 2842
You might want to consider pulling speaker cables to the locations where you might add overhead speakers for Atmos/DTS:X audio. It'll be a lot easier to do while you have the ceiling open.

Selden

Marantz SR7009 avr + MM9000 amp --> Atmos 7.1.4
Fronts=NHT 2.9+AC2, FH+TM=DefTech PM1000, LCR+TM amped
post #3 of 14 Old 11-28-2016, 10:56 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post
You might want to consider pulling speaker cables to the locations where you might add overhead speakers for Atmos/DTS:X audio. It'll be a lot easier to do while you have the ceiling open.
Thanks for the suggestion. I have enough cable so I might as well. I'm not up to speed on Atmos yet, how does it sound on non-atmos sources? Is there simulated sound or just nothing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 11-28-2016, 10:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 450 Post(s)
Liked: 226
What are you using for your center speaker?
post #5 of 14 Old 11-28-2016, 11:06 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilbur_the_goose View Post
What are you using for your center speaker?
Pioneer SP-C22 Andrew Jones Designed Center Channel
post #6 of 14 Old 11-28-2016, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aron2roy View Post
Thanks for the suggestion. I have enough cable so I might as well. I'm not up to speed on Atmos yet, how does it sound on non-atmos sources? Is there simulated sound or just nothing?
Receivers which support Atmos include the new Dolby Surround upmixer which makes use of all of your speakers, including overheads. Similarly, DTS:X is accompanied by their DTS:Neural:X upmixer. Both upmixers do quite well when expanding older "non-immersive" soundtracks to use overheads.

Selden

post #7 of 14 Old 11-28-2016, 11:41 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post
Receivers which support Atmos include the new Dolby Surround upmixer which makes use of all of your speakers, including overheads. Similarly, DTS:X is accompanied by their DTS:Neural:X upmixer. Both upmixers do quite well when expanding older "non-immersive" soundtracks to use overheads.
Thanks for the info. I haven't unboxed the Yamaha RX-V679BL yet, but I think most of the atmos receivers are out of my price range. I was considering the Denon AVR-S720W...says it's atmos 5.1.2 capable. Did I buy the wrong receiver? Thoughts on an entry level atmos receiver?
post #8 of 14 Old 11-28-2016, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the info. I haven't unboxed the Yamaha RX-V679BL yet, but I think most of the atmos receivers are out of my price range. I was considering the Denon AVR-S720W...says it's atmos 5.1.2 capable. Did I buy the wrong receiver? Thoughts on an entry level atmos receiver?
A quick Web search suggests that both receivers list for about the same these days (~$350) and a refurbished AVR-S720W is about $50 less. D+M limits the prices that authorized dealers can advertise, though, so you might try calling an authorized dealer on the phone to find out how low a price they can quote (assuming that 720s are still available).

Personally I'd go with the Atmos-capable receiver. You don't have to use that functionality right away.

So far as wire-pulling is considered, I'd suggest wiring for 6 overhead positions: one pair near the front (about +45 degrees with respect to the primary seating), one pair centered overhead (just slightly forward of the primary seating) and one pair near the rear (again about 45 degrees, but behind the primary seating). While you'd probably just use the central position to begin with, you might eventually want to go with 4 overheads, equally spaced in front and in back.

Selden

post #9 of 14 Old 11-29-2016, 09:15 AM - Thread Starter

I've decided to return the Yamaha. Looking at the Denon's with Atmos now, I have time to wait for a good deal though. Going to wire the speakers as you recommended and finish construction before I pull the trigger on the receiver. Thanks again.
post #10 of 14 Old 11-29-2016, 09:53 AM

You're very welcome.

Selden

post #11 of 14 Old 11-29-2016, 10:40 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 48
I'm not sure any of those speakers (the LCRs in particular) are really up to the task for a room that size. On top of that, those speakers are all relatively inefficient bookshelf speakers that will need a fair amount of power to get loud. I'm not sure your AVR is up to the task of driving 7 channels of inefficient speakers to high levels.

Most importantly, those bookshelf speakers are basically useless under 80Hz or so. You absolutely need a subwoofer. The Monoprice sub or a cheap Sony sub is not gonna cut it. Plan to spend at least half your speaker budget on subwoofers (you'll probably need more than one and they should match each other).

Speakers will make an enormous difference in your movie watching experience. Much more of a difference than the choice of projector or AVR. They also last a whole lot longer, so my advice is to choose wisely and invest in something good (even if you have to save up or stretch the budget somewhat). You won't regret it.

Obviously, you don't need to do it all at once, but I'd make a subwoofer a priority. 15" subwoofer minimum. Something like a HSU VTF-3 or PSA V1500.

If you want to save money, you should seriously consider going the DIY route. It will save you some money long term and it's fun to do. You can build a good 18" sub for $500 or so.

Last edited by andrewlef; 11-29-2016 at 10:44 AM.
post #12 of 14 Old 12-01-2016, 11:22 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewlef View Post
I'm not sure any of those speakers (the LCRs in particular) are really up to the task for a room that size. On top of that, those speakers are all relatively inefficient bookshelf speakers that will need a fair amount of power to get loud. I'm not sure your AVR is up to the task of driving 7 channels of inefficient speakers to high levels.

Most importantly, those bookshelf speakers are basically useless under 80Hz or so. You absolutely need a subwoofer. The Monoprice sub or a cheap Sony sub is not gonna cut it. Plan to spend at least half your speaker budget on subwoofers (you'll probably need more than one and they should match each other).

Speakers will make an enormous difference in your movie watching experience. Much more of a difference than the choice of projector or AVR. They also last a whole lot longer, so my advice is to choose wisely and invest in something good (even if you have to save up or stretch the budget somewhat). You won't regret it.

Obviously, you don't need to do it all at once, but I'd make a subwoofer a priority. 15" subwoofer minimum. Something like a HSU VTF-3 or PSA V1500.

If you want to save money, you should seriously consider going the DIY route. It will save you some money long term and it's fun to do. You can build a good 18" sub for $500 or so.
Thanks for your feedback. I have similar concerns. Just trying to work the budget and get speakers in locations for now.
post #13 of 14 Old 12-01-2016, 11:35 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Thanks for your feedback. I have similar concerns. Just trying to work the budget and get speakers in locations for now.
If you're just going for something temporary, then the Monoprice set is fine. It's inexpensive, so you're not losing much when you replace it down the road.

I'd just hate to spend a bunch of money on some speakers and realize that I need to upgrade them in short order. Such as buying a bookshelf HT set from SVS for $1k and realizing they're too small for your room. In the long run, I find the least expensive route is to buy what you'll ultimately need up front instead of working up to it with multiple iterations of lesser speakers.

Given that you're doing a dedicated theater room, I'd recommend you seriously consider going with DIY speakers. They offer the best value by a mile and they'll sound great. They're also pretty easy to put together. In fact, my first pair of DIY subwoofer boxes are arriving tomorrow, so I'll be putting them together this weekend (hopefully).
post #14 of 14 Old 12-01-2016, 05:47 PM - Thread Starter

I've never considered building my own. I think crossovers would be my main concern with doing that. Have any links or brand recommendations? I could build the entire bottom of the wall into a bench speaker enclosure which could be used for seating when not in use.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page