Need help and recommendations please!! - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Ratman

post #1 of 7 Old 01-18-2017, 02:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Need help and recommendations please!!

Hi, I am kinda new to posting in the forum. So excuse me if I do anything wrong or looked down apon, lol. So This is for mainly audiofiles who have experience installing systems and what not. OK, so here is the situation. My goal is to have a very nice sounding SQ sound system in my 350Z. Nothing crazy or ridiculous just something nice sounding with a little 3D staging. I have put in a cheap system in before but now I have moved on. I bought a pair of Focal ES165KX2 Components for the front, a pair of Focal EC165K2 Coaxials for the rear, and a Focal E25KX 10" Sub in a sealed box in the rear. I have them being powered with an Alpine MRV-V500 5 channel amp (I know this is not much but it's all i have at the moment.) The front components are meant to be biamped and since i don't have enough channels at the moment I just have 2 wires coming from each terminal (a + and - for the woofer, and a + and - for the tweeter.) But only for 2 of the channels. I have the coaxial's being powered by channels 3 and 4 and i have the sub being powered by the 5th channel. I am also running a Kenwood Headunit (DNX772BH) But I have reason to suspect that the channels are fried in it or something cause it just does not sound right if i don't have the position adjustment (the setting where you put in how far the speakers are from you.) set to something beside 0.00 feet. Either way it's just ****ed up. I really need help with deciding what I need to get now in order for it to sound good. Cause at the moment I don't think it sounds all too hot. The car is fully sound deadened and i could take it to a shop and have them tell me but I would really like to learn off of this and do it my self. I just need help deciding if I need to get new amps first, headunit, DSP, or what amps to get, and why . I'd really like to use the focal speakers however because they were pretty pricey and I would be cool ditching the alpine if its not needed and or getting a new head unit. Please help me and it would be helpful to provide links to what you recommend to get in order to complete this build so it sounds bad ass. Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-20-2017, 11:22 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Quoted: 6137 Post(s)
Liked: 5351
You'll probably get more responses if you post in the thread below, or even better, on a dedicated car audio forum.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/160-car-audio-video-nav/
post #3 of 7 Old 01-24-2017, 10:57 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 10
What's an audiofile?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 01-24-2017, 11:13 AM

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 2107 Post(s)
Liked: 1956
A misspelling.
audiocrash likes this.
post #5 of 7 Old 01-24-2017, 12:29 PM

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1898 Post(s)
Liked: 1817
An audio file is a wav file. An audiophile is someone addicted to great audio.

But I may be able to help some. I have a 370z and recently setup a new system in my car using very similar components and my Focals sound amazing. I have the Focal PS165 for my fronts which I think is the same as yours minus the bi-amp feature. I also have the Kenwood DDX672BH which is an older version of yours. I have a 4 channel amp with 2 channels bridged for a 10" Kicker sub in the back and the other 2 channels run to Focal crossovers and then feed the speakers.

Did you buy your hardware new or used? Have you tried it without bi-amping? Did you run new wires or use the cars existing wires? You should run new wires if you haven't.

What are you coming from? Maybe your expectations are too high because you have some very high quality gear, but the Z's are not the most acoustic cars in the world. Especially on the highway.

My crossovers had a tweeter adjustment on it that made a big difference for me. I don't recall how they label them but the least amount of treble sounded better in my car. The Focals are pretty bright compared to most speakers and perhaps you are not used to that.

I also had to really tweak the EQ to get it sounding right. Once dialed in they are amazing speakers, but on the wrong EQ setting they could sound too trebly.

Last edited by drunkpenguin; 01-24-2017 at 12:33 PM.
post #6 of 7 Old 01-24-2017, 01:55 PM

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Quoted: 6137 Post(s)
Liked: 5351
I used to own a 1979 280ZX. Had it for about 5 years back in the early '90s...it was the most fun I've ever had in a car and miss it dearly.

I have always lusted after the new generation Z cars, but sadly, I can't afford one due to my addiction to home audio.
post #7 of 7 Old 01-24-2017, 02:01 PM

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1898 Post(s)
Liked: 1817
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan P View Post
I used to own a 1979 280ZX. Had it for about 5 years back in the early '90s...it was the most fun I've ever had in a car and miss it dearly.

I have always lusted after the new generation Z cars, but sadly, I can't afford one due to my addiction to home audio.
PSA broke my bank account too.

Worth it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat

Tags
amps , Focal , quality , recommendations , sound

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page