Using old AVR as External Amp - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 49Likes

post #31 of 97 Old 04-03-2017, 01:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by datrumole View Post
Correct, delay and levels are not affected in direct, I have tested and verified this with Denon, can't speak for other brands

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk
This is probably easier than I'm making it, but wouldn't it be easier for the new processor to adjust things if the old receiver powering it's speakers was set to reference level before I connected the new processor. Eq aside, I'm strictly taking about channel trim levels.

I'll be using a DTR-7.8 in direct mode to power rear surrounds and 4 Atmos ceiling speakers. The 7.8 will be connected to a Marantz AV7703 thru analog multi-channel inputs on the 7.8.

Thanks to everyone for the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 97 Old 04-03-2017, 01:05 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 766 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23201 Post(s)
Liked: 12729
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graytwhyte View Post
This is probably easier than I'm making it, but wouldn't it be easier for the new processor to adjust things if the old receiver powering it's speakers was set to reference level before I connected the new processor. Eq aside, I'm strictly taking about channel trim levels.

I'll be using a DTR-7.8 in direct mode to power rear surrounds and 4 Atmos ceiling speakers. The 7.8 will be connected to a Marantz AV7703 thru analog multi-channel inputs on the 7.8.

Thanks to everyone for the help.
Yup.
post #33 of 97 Old 04-03-2017, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
Yup.
Thank you again!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 97 Old 04-03-2017, 01:35 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 404 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post
Your local A/V guy is confused.

Think of the old receiver as a multichannel amp with lots of fancy controls that should be ignored.

Just as you proposed at first, you only need to connect the appropriate preamp outputs of your new receiver to preamp inputs of your old receiver and connect the old receiver's speaker binding posts to appropriate speakers.

The sound-and-vision article is useful, although it talks about Pioneer options that might not have corresponding settings in your old receiver.

Do a return-to-factory-settings reset on the old receiver. This will clear out its YPAO and other settings, which now are irrelevant.
Select its Direct option, the multichannel analog input, and set the volume control at about 80%. (Mark where it is in case it gets changed accidentally.)
Run YPAO in the new receiver.

Done.

There might be some confusion due to both receivers reacting to the remote's signals, so you might want to block the old receiver's sensor with some electrical tape and turn it on and off manually.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex F. View Post
In addition to Selden's explanation, a quick look at the user manuals for both of your Yamahas shows they have remote in/out jacks. I have no experience using this feature, but it seems connecting the 3060's Remote Out to the 3000's Remote In might provide an automatic power on and off trigger. The 3060's manual (page 107) is vague about this, but a phone call to Yamaha's friendly techs could answer any questions.
Just thought I'd reply back on what I did to get around my issue with having 2 Yamaha's in the same room.

I tried to use the "trigger out" jack on the RX-A3060, unfortunately the RX-A3000 didn't have a "trigger in". The RX-A3000/RX-A3060's did have a "remote in/out", but I wasn't sure if that was supposed to be used as a trigger, so I never tried it.

Fortunately for me, I was able to change the "remote id" on the RX-A3000 to use ID 2, and let the RX-A3060 use ID 1. The Owner manual explained how to change the ID on the AVR and remote.

I use a logitech harmony remote and it figured out that the ID's were different between the AVR's once I had updated the Yamaha remote to use the new ID on the RX-A3000.

xbr75x900E and JVC RS420 with Elite 120" screen
Receiver - Yamaha RX-A3060/RX-A3000, WXA-50 MusicCast Amp for Zone 2
L/C/R - B&W CM9/CMC2, Side - DS3, Rear - CM5, F/R Atmos - CCM663
Subs - SVS PB12+ and PB13 Ultra
Harmony Elite, ATV 4K, Nvidia Shield Pro, HDHomeRun Extend
post #35 of 97 Old 04-16-2017, 11:33 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Very interesting thread. I am kinda in the same boat. Getting ready to replace my Yamaha RX-V995 receiver with a Yamaha Aventage receiver (RX-A2050 or 3050) so as to have HDMI and 4K. Currently running a 5.1 setup and not really interested in Atmos or DTS:X right now. I also have a Yamaha M-45 power amp (125wpc) from the 80s. Would like to use one of these to power my front Klipsch RF-3 speakers so as to relieve some power demands on the new avr.
Anyone see any problems with this, and which amp would you recommend I use? Thanks
post #36 of 97 Old 04-17-2017, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neck101 View Post
Very interesting thread. I am kinda in the same boat. Getting ready to replace my Yamaha RX-V995 receiver with a Yamaha Aventage receiver (RX-A2050 or 3050) so as to have HDMI and 4K. Currently running a 5.1 setup and not really interested in Atmos or DTS:X right now. I also have a Yamaha M-45 power amp (125wpc) from the 80s. Would like to use one of these to power my front Klipsch RF-3 speakers so as to relieve some power demands on the new avr.
Anyone see any problems with this, and which amp would you recommend I use? Thanks
I'd use the power amp to do this. Rca cables from the pre-out left and right on the back of the new receiver to the rca inputs on the m45. Use the speaker terminals on the m45 for your mains, and the remaining speakers connect to the speaker terminals on the new receiver. I did something similar for a long time with my receiver and a power amp.
post #37 of 97 Old 04-17-2017, 09:19 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Thanks for the advice.....now I just have to decide on which Aventage to buy.
post #38 of 97 Old 07-12-2017, 11:46 PM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 15
great thread . i'm probably going to be scouring craigslist to find an old high end unit to off load the atmos on my sc-95. according to the bench test data going from powering 5.1.4 to just powering the 5.1 portion should net about 40% more power or nearly 40 watts /channel
post #39 of 97 Old 08-10-2017, 02:23 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex F. View Post
Any AV receiver can be utilized as an external power amplifier (via another unit's preouts) even if it does not have multichannel inputs, but only for two channels. Use any analog source input (left and right channel jacks), such as CD or auxiliary (but not phono). Then select the stereo mode or, better yet, if available, the pure direct mode. Finally, connect the two speakers to the receiver's front left and right speaker terminals.

This is great info. Does anyone know what type of cable I will need to connect the two pre-outs of the new receiver to the CD or auxiliary input of the old receiver?

*Edit, just googled a picture of my current receiver and it seems it's simply two RCA style cables. 1 for each channel*
yanks1 likes this.
post #40 of 97 Old 11-03-2017, 10:01 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetmeat View Post
I got it working! The only thing I did different was increase the volume on the old AVR from -20 to +10. Once I did that I started hearing sounds coming from my front speakers.

I then ran YPAO to see what it was doing with the levels on my front speakers compared to my others. I noticed my other speakers were like +8 or more, so I lowered the volume on my old AVR to 0, reran YPAO and now my levels are more closely matched!

It looks a little weird having 2 AVR's in my rack, but since it works I'll have to live with it for a while until I have more money for an amp.

Thanks for your help!

You responded to another post I made on the Yamaha RX-A3060 regarding getting an amp to get the two remaining channels to get to 7.1.4.
In that post you mentioned that you were running your two sets of Atmos speakers with your old Yamaha 3000 AVR.
I just bought my Yamaha RX-A3060 and was considering a separate amp.

I found this post after searching for options and this may be a decent option to buying a brand new Amp. Are you still running it and is it working out ok?
I have an old Onkyo TX-NR1008 with a robust power supply and seemed like the best way to do it. It is a perfectly good amp.
I believe this is a multi channel input (see attachment). I am using a Harmony Remote so I would just have to have it turn on (the Onkyo) when everything else is turned on.

You had your old amp powering your fronts on this post, but looks like you have changed to the ceiling speakers since then.

How exactly did you setup your input into your old 3000 AVR? I would like to experiment and do that same.
What were the lessons learned to get yours to work? As you know there are three amp options for the Yamaha 3060 (Fronts, Rear Surrounds and the two sets of Atmos speakers)

Any help is appreciated!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TXNR1008 back panel.JPG
Views:	209
Size:	308.7 KB
ID:	2309544  

Klipsch: RC-62 II - Center | RF-82 II - R/L Fronts | RS-52 II - R/L Surrounds | RP-140SA - R/L Back Surrounds
Yamaha: NS-IW280C - R/L Front in ceiling | NS-IW470 - R/L Back in ceiling
Receiver: Yamaha RX-A3060 | Projector: BenQ Projector HT1085ST

Last edited by z71sierraslt; 11-03-2017 at 11:09 AM.
post #41 of 97 Old 11-03-2017, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by z71sierraslt View Post
You responded to another post I made on the Yamaha RX-A3060 regarding getting an amp to get the two remaining channels to get to 7.1.4.
In that post you mentioned that you were running your two sets of Atmos speakers with your old Yamaha 3000 AVR.

I found this post after searching for options and this may be a decent option to buying a brand new Amp. Are you still running it and is it working out ok?
I have an old Onkyo TX-NR1008 with a robust power supply and seemed like the best way to do it. It is a perfectly good amp.
I believe this is a multi channel input (see attachment). I am using a Harmony Remote so I would just have to have it turn on the Onkyo when everything else is turned on.

You had your old amp powering your fronts on this post, but looks like you have changed to the ceiling speakers since then.

How exactly did you setup your input into your old 3000 AVR? I would like to experiment and do that same.
What were the lessons learned to get yours to work? As you know there are three amp options for the Yamaha 3060 (Fronts, Rear Surrounds and the two sets of Atmos speakers)

Any help is appreciated!

You would be best served using the NR1008 (135W) to externally power the Front L/R speakers. With both AVRs powered OFF, connect the A3060 Front L/R pre-outs to the Front L/R multi analog inputs on the NR1008.
Connect the Front L/R speakers to the NR1008 Front L/R speaker posts. Power on the NR1008 and set the volume level to 80% of max and select the 7.1 multi analog input as the source. Power on the the A3060 and select Amp Assign = 7.2.4 (EXT Front) and run YPAO.
z71sierraslt and Madmax67 like this.
post #42 of 97 Old 11-03-2017, 11:17 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

I believe this is a multi channel input (see attachment). I am using a Harmony Remote so I would just have to have it turn on the Onkyo when everything else is turned on.

Any help is appreciated!
I think I misstated how I have mine setup in the 3060 thread.

On my AVR (3000) I have the normal inputs/sources like Tuner, BD/DVD, TV, etc, plus I have a completely separate Multi-Channel input/source.

I'm using RCA cables from the f.Left/Center/f.Right pre-outs on the 3060 to the corresponding Multi-Channel inputs on the 3000. I have my f.Left/Center/f.Right speaker wires connected to the f.Left/Center/f.Right speaker terminals on the 3000.

I think I chose that method because there weren't any "Multi-Channel" inputs on the 3000 labeled like "Dolby Front" or "Dolby Rear". It might not even matter which "Multi-Channel" input I used, but I went with the f.Left/Center/f.Right option because there were inputs labeled as such.

When I'm using my setup, I have the 3000 source selected as "Multi-Channel" with Pure Direct audio. Then my 3060 is set to whatever source I want to watch/hear and the volume is controlled by the 3060.

As for your AVR below, I'd recommend resetting the AVR completely back to factory defaults before anything else. It looks like the only "multi-channel" input you have is tied to the BD source. I think you could do what I did and use an RCA cable to connect your f.Left/Center/f.Right Multi-Channel BD inputs to the pre-out f.Left/Center/f.Right on your 3060.

Once you've made the connections, you'll want to:
1) turn on your old AVR
2) turn it to the BD source. This will be the only source that sound be using your multi-channel inputs
3) put the volume to around 0
4) if your old AVR has an audio option that bypasses all processing, like the 3060's Pure Direct, select it
4) turn on your new AVR and other sources
5) made sure you get sound

If you don't get sound, try increasing the volume on the old AVR to like +10. If you still don't have sound, make sure you wired everything correct.

Once you've verified that you have sound coming from all of your speakers, then I'd run YPAO. If there are big differences on the speaker levels between the speakers hooked up to your 3060 and your old AVR, then try adjusting the volume on your old AVR to get those levels to be closer when running YPAO.

My setup has been done this way since my last post in this thread, and it's still working great. The only "issues" I had during setup were:
1) not having the volume on the 3000 turned up enough for me to hear that my initial connections were working
2) setting the remote id's to be different between my 2 Yamaha AVR's so I could control each one independently with my Harmony remote. Since you're using different brand AVR's, I doubt you'll experience the same issue.

There might be other FYI's to consider in this thread.
z71sierraslt and Gus 2 like this.

Last edited by Sweetmeat; 11-03-2017 at 11:22 AM.
post #43 of 97 Old 11-03-2017, 11:26 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
You would be best served using the NR1008 (135W) to externally power the Front L/R speakers. With both AVRs powered OFF, connect the A3060 Front L/R pre-outs to the Front L/R multi analog inputs on the NR1008.
Connect the Front L/R speakers to the NR1008 Front L/R speaker posts. Power on the NR1008 and set the volume level to 80% of max and select the 7.1 multi analog input as the source. Power on the the A3060 and select Amp Assign = 7.2.4 (EXT Front) and run YPAO.
@z71sierraslt - forget everything I said and follow the suggestion above. He's the expert.

post #44 of 97 Old 11-03-2017, 12:39 PM

Quote:

Thank You both JD and Sweet,

JD, I know you suggested just the fronts. Would it help to also do the Center and Surrounds to spread out the power? Just trying to understand because I really don't know what is best.
I am using this setup mostly for movies to get 7.1.4

Attached is the test bench from Sound and Vision back in 2010 on my old Onkyo AVR.
https://www.soundandvision.com/conte...eceiver-page-4

I'll play with this to see how smooth this works out. My original plan as well as Sweet was to get an separate amp. I was looking at the Outlaw 5000 to run the fronts, center and surrounds.
I basically have that same power in my old AVR as the Outlaw 5000. Just looking at all of my options.

As always, your input is greatly appreciated!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SV Test Bench on Onkyo TXNR1008.JPG
Views:	82
Size:	105.4 KB
ID:	2309634  

Klipsch: RC-62 II - Center | RF-82 II - R/L Fronts | RS-52 II - R/L Surrounds | RP-140SA - R/L Back Surrounds
post #45 of 97 Old 11-03-2017, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Thank You both JD and Sweet,

JD, I know you suggested just the fronts. Would it help to also do the Center and Surrounds to spread out the power? Just trying to understand because I really don't know what is best.
I am using this setup mostly for movies to get 7.1.4

Attached is the test bench from Sound and Vision back in 2010 on my old Onkyo AVR.
https://www.soundandvision.com/conte...eceiver-page-4

I'll play with this to see how smooth this works out. My original plan as well as Sweet was to get an separate amp. I was looking at the Outlaw 5000 to run the fronts, center and surrounds.
I basically have that same power in my old AVR as the Outlaw 5000. Just looking at all of my options.

As always, your input is greatly appreciated!
Surrounds and heights don't draw much power. I'd externally power the FL/C/FR.
post #46 of 97 Old 11-03-2017, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Surrounds and heights don't draw much power. I'd externally power the FL/C/FR.

Thanks JD

post #47 of 97 Old 11-07-2017, 09:24 AM

Got it up and running. Everything sounds great with the manual setup. Just waiting on the new RCA cables to come in and then I'll run YPAO.
Onkyo is set and I won't have to mess with it. Just saved $700 on a new amp where as my Onkyo pretty much does the same thing.
Pretty seemless, Harmony remote just has to turn on the Onkyo.
Played around with Heights and Surrounds on one and then the main 5.1 on the other. Tried it both ways.
Decided on the Yamaha RX-A3060 running the 5.1 (Fronts, Center and Surrounds). The old Onkyo (6 speakers) running the four heights and back surrounds.
The F/C/S just sounded better on the Yamaha. The dialogue just sounded better coming out of the center channel this way.
I'll try this out for a while and maybe flip the Receivers.

Thanks for all of your help!
Sweetmeat and ALPHUX1 like this.

post #48 of 97 Old 11-07-2017, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Got it up and running. Everything sounds great with the manual setup. Just waiting on the new RCA cables to come in and then I'll run YPAO.
Onkyo is set and I won't have to mess with it. Just saved $700 on a new amp where as my Onkyo pretty much does the same thing.
Pretty seemless, Harmony remote just has to turn on the Onkyo.
Played around with Heights and Surrounds on one and then the main 5.1 on the other. Tried it both ways.
Decided on the Yamaha RX-A3060 running the 5.1 (Fronts, Center and Surrounds). The old Onkyo (6 speakers) running the four heights and back surrounds.
The F/C/S just sounded better on the Yamaha. The dialogue just sounded better coming out of the center channel this way.
I'll try this out for a while and maybe flip the Receivers.

Thanks for all of your help!
It's your setup. Configure it to suit your preference.
z71sierraslt likes this.
post #49 of 97 Old 11-08-2017, 12:04 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by stopdrpnro View Post
great thread . i'm probably going to be scouring craigslist to find an old high end unit to off load the atmos on my sc-95. according to the bench test data going from powering 5.1.4 to just powering the 5.1 portion should net about 40% more power or nearly 40 watts /channel
Exactly what i was thinking. Instead of shelling out multiple bucks on a emotiva or whatever. Why cant we just on CL and get a used old 5.1 with high per channel wattage.
Also while we on this subject. If I have a 7.1 or 7.2 and I add another 5.1 - Does that make my receiver a 12.1. Sorry I am to the hobby so getting my head around it
Sweetmeat likes this.
post #50 of 97 Old 11-08-2017, 05:11 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazycricket View Post

If I have a 7.1 or 7.2 and I add another 5.1 - Does that make my receiver a 12.1. Sorry I am to the hobby so getting my head around it

Your 7.X AVR will always be limited to processing of 7 channels, so adding an amp (or in this case an AVR being used as an amp) won’t change that.

There are AVR’s that can process 11 channels, but some of those AVR’s only have 9 amps. Without an external amp, it wouldn’t be possible to get sounds from those 2 extra channels.

If your AVR has all the amps you need, you could still benefit from using an external amp (or old AVR). This would increase your overall power and headroom for each channel.

Hope that helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #51 of 97 Old 11-08-2017, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Your 7.X AVR will always be limited to processing of 7 channels, so adding an amp (or in this case an AVR being used as an amp) won’t change that.

There are AVR’s that can process 11 channels, but some of those AVR’s only have 9 amps. Without an external amp, it wouldn’t be possible to get sounds from those 2 extra channels.

If your AVR has all the amps you need, you could still benefit from using an external amp (or old AVR). This would increase your overall power and headroom for each channel.

Hope that helps.

Ok make sense. So for every upgrade in Channel you have to outright get a newer or upgraded AVR
Also I know this is off topic. But I was looking at Denon x4300h. It says it has 9.2 Channels but the back shows 11.2. What is that about?
post #52 of 97 Old 11-08-2017, 08:59 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazycricket View Post
Ok make sense. So for every upgrade in Channel you have to outright get a newer or upgraded AVR
Also I know this is off topic. But I was looking at Denon x4300h. It says it has 9.2 Channels but the back shows 11.2. What is that about?
Before Atmos, any 7.x AVR would have been able to decode the best surround format.

With Atmos, there are 4 new channels that need to be decoded, and the old 7.x AVR's can't do that. With Atmos, instead of 7.x or 11.x, the channels are shown as 7.x.4, where:
  • 7 is the number of Non-Atmos channels, including:
    • Front Left/Right
    • Center
    • Surround Left/Right
    • Rear Surround Left/Right
  • x is the number of subwoofers
  • 4 is the number of Atmos channels, including:
    • Front Atmos (best if overhead)
    • Rear Atmos (best if overhead)

The new AVR's that can decode an Atmos sound track come in 2 varieties, both that can decode the full 7.x.4 soundtrack. One is shown as a 9.x (like on the x4300h), and another as 11.x (like on the Denon x6300h).

The 9.x (x4300h) can decode the full Atmos soundtrack (7.x.4), but there are only 9 amps in the AVR. Without an external amp it could only power up to 9 channels, so it would be limited to a 7.x.2 Atmos system. With an external 2 channel amp, it could power 11 channels, so it would be able to power a full 7.x.4 Atmos system.

The 11.x (x6300h) can decode the full Atmos soundtrack (7.x.4), but there are 11 amps in the AVR so an external amp wouldn't be required to power a full 7.x.4 Atmos system.

My Yamaha RX-A3060 is similar to the x4300h in that it processes the full Atmos soundtrack, but it only has 9 amps in the AVR - thus my need for an external amp (which I'm using my old RX-A3000 AVR as the amp).

Most of the AVR's that can fully process Atmos only come with 9 amps. There might be more than my list below, but here are the ones I'm aware of that have all 11 amps included:
1) Denon x6300h
2) Pioneer SC-LX901
3) Anthem MRX-1120
Photokid1970 likes this.

Last edited by Sweetmeat; 11-08-2017 at 09:28 AM.
post #53 of 97 Old 11-08-2017, 01:10 PM

Clears up lot of things thank you very much
Sweetmeat likes this.
post #54 of 97 Old 11-08-2017, 09:41 PM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Man trying to get my head around all this. Sorry for stupid question but I want to go with the denon x4300 and I want to use my pioneer sc71 as an amp to power the extra two channels for 11.2.4 with the denon. I am limited with the pre outs on the pioneer do I have to use rca cable from front on denon to front on pioneer . Or can I use front left and right on pioneer to power the rear heights on denon ? When going from pre out to pre out do you have to stick with speaker assign name? height to height front to front etc.
post #55 of 97 Old 11-08-2017, 11:10 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Using old AVR as External Amp

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbelt View Post
Man trying to get my head around all this. Sorry for stupid question but I want to go with the denon x4300 and I want to use my pioneer sc71 as an amp to power the extra two channels for 11.2.4 with the denon. I am limited with the pre outs on the pioneer do I have to use rca cable from front on denon to front on pioneer . Or can I use front left and right on pioneer to power the rear heights on denon ? When going from pre out to pre out do you have to stick with speaker assign name? height to height front to front etc.

First, I’m guessing you meant to say 7.2.4 and not 11.2.4, otherwise that would be 15 different channels, plus subs.

Yes, you’d want to use an RCA from the preouts on the x4300 to potentially one of many choices on the Pioneer.

If the Pioneer has multi-channel input, connect the RCA there. The guy above didn’t have a multi-channel input besides using the multi-channel input jacks that are only used when the BD/DVD source is selected, so he could use those jacks and then turn to the BD/DVD source.

There are other ways that I’m not as familiar with, like if you ONLY have stereo jacks (for 2 channels) on the Pioneer for one of your sources, I think you could use one of them (but from what I remember don’t use Phono (not sure why). Also, if your pioneer had support for 2 zones, and no multi-channel input, you could do as I said above for 2 channels and then use the zone 2 input jacks for 2 more channels.

I don’t know if it matters or not if you connect an RCA to the preout on the 4300 and a different channels input jack on the Pioneer. Since I didn’t know if I could do that when setting everything up, I made sure they matched which is why I’m using my old AVR to power my front left/right and center. Those channels were clearly labeled on the preouts and on my multi-channel in. My AVR has an Amp Select/Assign choice that gave me the option of externally powering my fronts or the Atmos channels. The 4300 may have something similar, so make sure you selected the right one before listening for sound and doing the audio calibration.

Hope that helps.

z71sierraslt likes this.

Last edited by Sweetmeat; 11-08-2017 at 11:25 PM.
post #56 of 97 Old 11-09-2017, 05:06 PM

Yes sweetmeat I did mean 7.2.4 not 11.2.4. Yes this does help I am still trying to figure out what I want to do I am limited on my pre outs on my pioneer to just front right and front left. I may just give it a look and see. Thanks again for your input.
Sweetmeat likes this.
post #57 of 97 Old 11-09-2017, 06:07 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbelt View Post
Yes sweetmeat I did mean 7.2.4 not 11.2.4. Yes this does help I am still trying to figure out what I want to do I am limited on my pre outs on my pioneer to just front right and front left. I may just give it a look and see. Thanks again for your input.
I'm looking at a picture of the SC71 on this website...

http://img.canuckaudiomart.com/uploa...t-reciever.jpg

Based on that picture, it doesn't have multi-channel inputs, so you could connect from the preouts on the Denon to the RCA L/R jacks under DVD, Sat/Cbl, or DVR/BDM on the Pioneer. That would enable you to power the full Atmos system with the x4300h. If you chose to connect the RCA cables to the DVD L/R RCA jacks, then you'd want to make that source active on the Pioneer, and the same thing if you chose one of the other 2 sources.

You mentioned that you're limited to the preouts on the Pioneer, so I just want to be clear that you wouldn't use the preouts on the Pioneer if you're going to use it in conjunction with the Denon. The preouts you would use would be the ones on the Denon, and you'd use the RCA audio inputs on the Pioneer for one of the 3 sources I mentioned above.

It also looks like the SC71 supports 2 zones, but looks like Zone 2 requires an external amp. If that's true, you won't be able to use Zone 2 for amplifying any channels.
z71sierraslt likes this.

post #58 of 97 Old 11-10-2017, 06:32 PM

Quote:
I'm looking at a picture of the SC71 on this website...

http://img.canuckaudiomart.com/uploa...t-reciever.jpg

Based on that picture, it doesn't have multi-channel inputs, so you could connect from the preouts on the Denon to the RCA L/R jacks under DVD, Sat/Cbl, or DVR/BDM on the Pioneer. That would enable you to power the full Atmos system with the x4300h. If you chose to connect the RCA cables to the DVD L/R RCA jacks, then you'd want to make that source active on the Pioneer, and the same thing if you chose one of the other 2 sources.

You mentioned that you're limited to the preouts on the Pioneer, so I just want to be clear that you wouldn't use the preouts on the Pioneer if you're going to use it in conjunction with the Denon. The preouts you would use would be the ones on the Denon, and you'd use the RCA audio inputs on the Pioneer for one of the 3 sources I mentioned above.

It also looks like the SC71 supports 2 zones, but looks like Zone 2 requires an external amp. If that's true, you won't be able to use Zone 2 for amplifying any channels.
Wow ok I am with you now. Great info and thanks again for your help with this.
post #59 of 97 Old 01-17-2018, 09:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Hello All,
I have an HK AVR7200 which I've had since 2002/03. It was the flagship model when it was new and has an awesome amp section. It's heavy too and weighs nearly 60lbs. Looking at the manual, it has inputs labeled 8-channel direct inputs. These are: FL, FR, CTR, SL, SR, SBL, SBR and LFE. I believe I can use these to connect a processor, correct? I'm already running an EMO XPA 3 on the LCR and will only run the surrounds from the AVR.

Formerly known as J--- H----. Member since 11/2002. My real name was showing up in Google too much!

What we have heah...is a failyah to communicate.
post #60 of 97 Old 01-18-2018, 04:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by limulus View Post
Hello All,
I have an HK AVR7200 which I've had since 2002/03. It was the flagship model when it was new and has an awesome amp section. It's heavy too and weighs nearly 60lbs. Looking at the manual, it has inputs labeled 8-channel direct inputs. These are: FL, FR, CTR, SL, SR, SBL, SBR and LFE. I believe I can use these to connect a processor, correct? I'm already running an EMO XPA 3 on the LCR and will only run the surrounds from the AVR.
Yup.
limulus likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page