Using old AVR as External Amp - Page 4 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 49Likes

post #91 of 97 Old 11-13-2019, 09:18 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Resurrecting an old thread

I currently have an old flagship Yamaha RX-Z7 powering my 5.1 home theater in our family room. I am planning to "upgrade" the receiver to a Denon x3500 to take advantage of 4k hdmi switching and advanced room correction etc. I don't plan on adding height speakers all that soon but it is a consideration.

Looking for opinions on just using the x3500 as a pre/pro and using the Yamaha as the amp section as described in this thread. ie. pure-direct 5-channel input.

I am guessing the amp section is better in the old Yamaha than the Denon, but I have very efficient fronts so I doubt it would matter much.

Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 97 Old 12-25-2019, 04:49 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Just purchased a new marantz 6013 AV reciever (9.2 powered at 110 watts per channel @8 ohm with 11.2 assignable processing. i currently use have an old Yamaha RX-V2700 (7.2) at 140 watts per channel.

Thinking about using the Yamaha to power some of the channels and using the Marantz as a pre-amp for half of the channels. Now I know that the "30 watt" difference is not a huge difference or even a noticeable difference really, but the reason I want to do it is the option to 1) bi-amp the front two channels, 2) and to power a set of rear heights giving me the 11.2 processing total with the Marantz.

....doing this will allow me to obtain a 7.1.4 Atmos system with the front channels bi-amped for music listening. That is my goal... And I thought balancing out the amplification across both AVR's would give me more power upon reserve for dynamci range of headroom, etc.

My question is: If you're using an old AVR for amplification only, are you also able to tap into the by bi-amping features of that old AVR?

Your thoughts?

Last edited by libertyguy20; 12-25-2019 at 05:01 PM.
post #93 of 97 Old 12-25-2019, 05:30 PM

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 23
You can absolutely do that!

TCL/Roku 65" R615 4K TV, SVS Ultra 5.0 Tower Surround System, Onkyo TX-SR805 for LCR, Onkyo HTR 940 for Surrounds, Dual SVS PB-2000 Subwoofers, Sony UBP X700 4K Ultra Blu-ray Player
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #94 of 97 Old 01-10-2020, 01:43 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I am in the same boat.
I just bought a Denon 4500H and will do 7-2-4. So 12 speakers and need external amplifier (2 center speaker)
I am planning to use my old yamaha RXV-663 and send the center output of the denon with a Y RCA directly in the multi channel input Front and Left.
However I read through the post form 2 years ago and last month to chose direct and reset the YPAO

For me sending signal to multi channel input is just going to the amplifier.
The YPAO and all other adjustment are in the preamp part that we are by passing.
For me an amplifier has no adjustment.
post #95 of 97 Old 01-10-2020, 05:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan30thz28 View Post
You can absolutely do that!
It works great...very powerful.
post #96 of 97 Old 01-10-2020, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke90 View Post
I am in the same boat.
I just bought a Denon 4500H and will do 7-2-4. So 12 speakers and need external amplifier (2 center speaker)
I am planning to use my old yamaha RXV-663 and send the center output of the denon with a Y RCA directly in the multi channel input Front and Left.
However I read through the post form 2 years ago and last month to chose direct and reset the YPAO

For me sending signal to multi channel input is just going to the amplifier.
The YPAO and all other adjustment are in the preamp part that we are by passing.
For me an amplifier has no adjustment.
I agree, but the direct mode turns those audio processing and video circuits off, which could reduce background noise I guess. Also, when I calibrate with Audyssey, I usually turn on direct on my old Yamaha (the now amp only)...more for piece of mind, but when listening back, usually just turn it on the yamaha and forget to also activate direct mode.

Btw, it helped me to do the calibration a few times with different volume setting on the yamaha just right so that my FLR channels didnt need major level adjustments. Then I determined the max volume setting and capped it in the yamaha and saved it.... as my kids would/could have turned up and potentially damaged the speakers. Did same on Marantz to fix an overall max volume. Only pill now is to figure out how to get the yamaha to turn on automatically when I power up my marantz...it has no trigger input. I have it going into a power conditioner but the power conditioner does not seem to trigger the AVR even though I hooked up the trigger and plugged it into the right bank. All that means is still using 3 controllers instead of 1-2.
post #97 of 97 Old 01-11-2020, 01:23 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by libertyguy20 View Post
I agree, but the direct mode turns those audio processing and video circuits off, which could reduce background noise I guess. Also, when I calibrate with Audyssey, I usually turn on direct on my old Yamaha (the now amp only)...more for piece of mind, but when listening back, usually just turn it on the yamaha and forget to also activate direct mode.

I see. But for me when using the amp only there should not be back ground noise as the amp is separate form those. Especially on a high end like the A3000 as far as my RVX 663 it is not a high end so it may be worth it

Quote:
Originally Posted by libertyguy20 View Post
Btw, it helped me to do the calibration a few times with different volume setting on the yamaha just right so that my FLR channels didnt need major level adjustments. Then I determined the max volume setting and capped it in the yamaha and saved it.... as my kids would/could have turned up and potentially damaged the speakers. Did same on Marantz to fix an overall max volume. Only pill now is to figure out how to get the yamaha to turn on automatically when I power up my marantz...it has no trigger input. I have it going into a power conditioner but the power conditioner does not seem to trigger the AVR even though I hooked up the trigger and plugged it into the right bank. All that means is still using 3 controllers instead of 1-2.
Not a problem for me as I have two other amplifier, the MIC200 and they are all in the same rack
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page