Ask Me Anything: Immersive Audio - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 56Likes
Closed Thread

post #31 of 185 Old 03-07-2017, 11:17 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 17
How do you characterize the immersive nature of atmos enabled speakers as compared to direct radiating on/in-ceiling or on wall setups. Can atmos enabled speakers be used effectively in DTS:x based or or Auro based 3-D audio systems?

This space intentionally left blank
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 185 Old 03-07-2017, 11:18 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Open sided room

I have a great room, half of which is my living room. This is where our entertaining is done. One complete side is open, about 25 feet. The entire room is about 30 x 25. Does the auto setting on these systems compensate for this?
post #33 of 185 Old 03-07-2017, 11:19 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
PC Usage

A lot of my viewing is centered around my PC with 32" an HD TVs as the monitor. It is currently capable of 7.1 audio. What will be required to get it to be able to handle the upper channels? Thanks
thxman likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 185 Old 03-07-2017, 11:19 AM

Liked: 10
Is there any content specifically for immersive audio yet?
post #35 of 185 Old 03-07-2017, 11:19 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuybrushT2 View Post
Do you foresee dolby atmos becoming available to the masses via PC? In terms of hardware, either through sound cards that support more channels, or perhaps using two devices, i.e. motherboard onboard sound for overhead channels and discrete sound card for mains, etc.?
The good news is that the next version of Windows 10 (nicknamed Creator's Edition) coming out this spring will support Dolby Atmos via a software upgrade. This is intended to do Dolby Atmos Headphone via standard stereo headphones. So, given that, yes, I do think we will see more support for Atmos on PCs. As for multichannel sound cards, no, I don't expect to see that, but there are video cards with HDMI that do support the formats necessary to carry Atmos-capable signals to an Atmos-capable receiver. That's how some Atmos games such as Stars Wars: Battlefront work.
thxman likes this.
post #36 of 185 Old 03-07-2017, 11:19 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I'm considering purchasing a receiver which supports 5.1.2-ch Atmos. Is there a substantial difference between the 7.1.2-ch set up and the 5.1.2-ch? Not having experienced either I'm wondering if the extra money for a 7.1.2 is worth it. I know for top audiophiles it's probably a requirement but will the average person notice a major difference?

I have a medium to small room I'd be putting this in for reference (10x15 or so). Thanks in advance!
post #37 of 185 Old 03-07-2017, 11:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked: 300
My ceilings in my basement are only 8 feet, and I can't really install in-ceiling speakers. What guide is the best tool to figure out placement of ceilin speakers? I know with DTS:X it doesn't matter as much (so they say), but I still want something I could use with both. I will have to ceiling mount shallow speakers. I find that the biggest struggle and most confusing part of it. Where to put them on the ceiling. I assume that is a better alternative then the atmos modules. And I won't have to change my speakers since no modules are available for them. I am currently 7.1 configuration

Sony XBR65X930C / Sony UBP-X800 UltraHD Blu-ray Player/ Toshiba HD-A3 HD DVD / PS4 Pro / Onkyo TX-RZ830 / Paradigm CC-190/Paradigm Titan Monitor V5/Paradigm Atom Monitor V5/ Paradigm CI Home H65 In-ceiling Atmos/ JBL Studio L8400P 12-Inch Sub

Last edited by goksucats; 03-07-2017 at 11:28 AM.
post #38 of 185 Old 03-07-2017, 11:23 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetguat View Post
I have a new samsung UHD HDR 4k curved tv. Its in a location that did not have a reasonable AV receiver. Budget is an issue. I am trying to determine is a soundbar + Subwoofer would suit my needs, or a AV receiver. the room does have speakers in the ceiling already, but no real place to put front speakers at present. a soundbar would mount to the existing TV wall mount. but with a curved tv, my sound bar option might be limited. I like what I read about ATMOS, but those speakers seem out of my price range, and the curved samsung ATMOS sound bar is longer than my 49" tv

Pretty much a noob here. I've a review after review after review, but I'm no closer to figuring out how to get batter sound.
A soundbar is going to be your best bet from an audio perspective, but the physical size is something only you can determine. Unfortunately, I don't know of any soundbar that has outputs that you can attach to your existing ceiling speakers. To use them, you have to get an Atmos or DTS:X-capable receiver and then plug those in.
post #39 of 185 Old 03-07-2017, 11:23 AM

Immersive Audio

With regards to Audio for TV. Wha't the best setup? A soundbar vs. receiver? and also in relation to Dolby Audio. Basically what's the best way to squeeze the best sound out of any given TV considering the sound coming directly from these speakers get such poor reviews in general.
post #40 of 185 Old 03-07-2017, 11:23 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

AVSForum member wired1 asked:
“Do you think 5.1.2 is the new (or will be) 5.1? Or is a higher speaker count bound to be the new norm?”

While it’s going to take a while, I can certainly see 5.1.2 becoming a very popular option. Because of the strong installed base of 5.1-capable speaker systems, the ease of adding reflecting Atmos-enabled speakers to the top of your front mains, and increasing support for Atmos-encoded discs and streaming content, momentum seems to be moving in that direction.

Certainly, there will continue to be the dedicated enthusiasts, particularly here on AVS Forum, who will opt for a larger speaker count. The beauty of Atmos and DTS:X is that they can grow with you as you add more speakers. Even better, unlike previous encoding format transitions, Atmos and DTS:X won’t require you to completely replace your content library to enjoy the full advantages of the technology. Because of the object-oriented nature of the technology, the same Atmos-encoded discs (or streams) will simply get better and more immersive as you enhance the speaker count of your system.

Having said all that, there are still costs and other issues involved. While Atmos-compatible receivers and soundbars are coming down in price, if you invested in a nice AVR that doesn’t support Atmos or DTS:X, you may not be ready to jump in for a while. Also, depending on how speakers are housed in your system, it may not be possible to add something to the top of your main left and right speakers and ceiling-mounted speakers also may not be an option.

Given the growing popularity of soundbars and the appearance of several Atmos-enabled ones from vendors like Sony and Samsung, we may actually start to see other types of configurations, ranging from 7.1.4, to 3.1.2 or even 2.0.2 systems that use nothing more than a TV and a powered soundbar. (And even audio enthusiasts may want to consider that option for a second system, say, in a bedroom.)
post #41 of 185 Old 03-07-2017, 11:24 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I currently have a 5.1 system. Looking for a new HDMI2.0a capable receiver. Would there be any benefit also obtaining an Immersive capable receiver if I do not intend on expanding the number of speakers beyond 5.1?
post #42 of 185 Old 03-07-2017, 11:27 AM

Whole House Audio

Part 2 Question, In addition to the TV audio. What's the best way to outfit a small home indoor and out with audio. Ceiling Speakers? Outdoor speakers. Noting complicated or super expensive just something that can be placed around the house indoors and out for easy listening? Thank you
post #43 of 185 Old 03-07-2017, 11:27 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by trespoochies View Post
Do you anticipate continued further speaker expansion as immersive audio continues to evolve? As nice as it is to have 11 speakers, the more speakers the harder it is to appease home audio enthusiasts, as well as limited space to meet specifications.
Well, the Atmos standard supports up to 34 separate speakers, but practically speaking, I'm not convinced we'll see many people doing that. So, realistically, I think 11 speakers (or 12 or 13 depending on the number of subs you have) is probably as high as most people (and most content) will go.
goksucats and trespoochies like this.
post #44 of 185 Old 03-07-2017, 11:28 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I'm thinking about getting upward firing speakers for the height channel for atmos but live in a 1910 apartment with upstairs neighbors, does that make me a monster?

a.k.a Is there anything special about upward firing speakers or in the STR-DN1080 phantom back speakers that makes the sound bounce rather than just going through a wall?
post #45 of 185 Old 03-07-2017, 11:29 AM

Liked: 1
Any tips on how to get started? For someone on a budget and then adding on to build a basic setup? Thanks
geocab likes this.
post #46 of 185 Old 03-07-2017, 11:30 AM

I'm really interested for the topic! A lot of questions already asked, that I had a great interest in.
So I've would like to ask about the picture sides of things.
A. What does the 1080 offer me for upscaling my regular blurays?
B. Ive read and seen SBM (super bit maping) in person, and I most say that I am impressed, and this a really great feature from Sony. How does this work through the 1080?
C. Why can I expect from normal 5.1 of 7.1 if I want to use my sealing speakers?
Thanks in advance

Sendt fra min ONEPLUS A3003 med Tapatalk
post #47 of 185 Old 03-07-2017, 11:30 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by defjamz View Post
Is there a benefit to Atmos processing even if you don't have ceiling or Dolby enabled speakers? We have a nice 5.1 system in our living room, but I'm looking to upgrade our AV receiver for 4K/HDR handling. Just curious if Atmos will do anything for our setup. Thank you!
Well, in addition to giving you an upgrade path if you do decide to add some height speakers in the future, Atmos does include some improved algorithms for doing upmixing so yes, an Atmos-capable receiver may provide some modest improvements to what you already have.
post #48 of 185 Old 03-07-2017, 11:31 AM

Liked: 1
Matching speakers

I have a professionally designed theater room with matched speakers.

How important is it to match extra speakers in this system?

Thanks
Emmett
thxman likes this.
post #49 of 185 Old 03-07-2017, 11:33 AM

Liked: 11
Hi thanks for addressing upmixing audio in your post. One thought I have is if your setup consists of towered speakers will you experience some of the Atmos spatial features within that 2 or 2.1 setup? For example, will some of the height and distance perception be evident between the tweeters on top and speakers in the middle and bottom of the towers. I suppose it would depend on frequency of pitch but just wondering if there is an evident effect in a tower setup. Thanks
post #50 of 185 Old 03-07-2017, 11:33 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul In SF View Post
I just updated my system to a Denon AVR S710W last year. What is a ballpark figure for how much it will cost me to upgrade to an Atmos receiver?
According to Denon's product page, the AVR S710W already supports Atmos and DTS:X, so you should be all set. Just plug in some height speakers, get some Atmos-enabled content and enjoy!
post #51 of 185 Old 03-07-2017, 11:34 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

AVSForum member Youcan1 asked:
“Do you think that Atmos will make as big of a break into the gaming and music markets as it has in movies, or is that not in the cards due to it being more of a limited market?”

At the moment, support for Atmos-encoded gaming and music is very limited (though not necessarily because they’re limited markets—gaming is huge). As mentioned in my introductory explanation, you can use whatever format and channel-count audio source you have with an Atmos-enabled AV receiver and it will be able to upmix it to fill all your speakers. But, as you would expect, you will always get the “best” experience if you have content that was specifically designed to match the capabilities of your system. So, Atmos-enabled content sounds best on an Atmos-enabled system, etc.

As a big fan of, but disappointed realist about, multichannel music, I wouldn’t put a lot of hope there. There have been plenty of opportunities (and formats) for multichannel music to stretch its legs, but none have caught on. Gaming, on the other hand, seems like a much more likely candidate. Between the entrance of VR-based gaming consoles (which are an ideal match for the object-based audio technologies at the heart of Atmos and DTS:X), the growing interest in professional gaming and eSports, and the ongoing popularity of gaming in all varieties, I suspect we will start to see more Atmos-optimized audio in gaming across many platforms as we move forward.
post #52 of 185 Old 03-07-2017, 11:35 AM

I'm excited about the new spatial height dimension of immersive audio. What are some of the best examples of demo content for immersive audio?
post #53 of 185 Old 03-07-2017, 11:36 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by peerydave View Post
Is there an elegant wireless system you might recommend for adding ceiling speakers?
There's no elegant wireless system because those ceiling speakers would have to be powered (for the power amp), so it wouldn't really help.
post #54 of 185 Old 03-07-2017, 11:38 AM

How much is the estimated low end cost to get started enjoying immersive audio?
post #55 of 185 Old 03-07-2017, 11:39 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Currently using a 5.0 setup with a hdmi receiver that can do dts-hd and dolby-hd. Do you think i should get a subwoofer and the additional atmos channels setup before buying an atmos enabled receiver, or would there be a benefit to upgrading the receiver without having to buy the drivers for additional channels immediately?
post #56 of 185 Old 03-07-2017, 11:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 667 Post(s)
Liked: 715
EDIT, it looks like you covered this in https://www.avsforum.com/forum/91-aud...l#post51316489

Thank you.

For me, one of the biggest appeals of Atmos (commercial applications) was the scalability of the system to work within different type/size rooms with various speaker locations. The renderer would know these locations and adapt the sound to match the mixer's intentions as best as possible. The Trinnov Altitude32 has their own version of this, but do you foresee a time (not asking for when) where residential applications will be able to benefit from this type of "correction"?

Last edited by thxman; 03-07-2017 at 12:37 PM.
post #57 of 185 Old 03-07-2017, 11:40 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I've seen people suggest that Bipole Speakers will mess up Atmos but also see brands like Definitive Technology making Bipole Speakers (P9080x) for Atmos. Are there pros and cons to not using Bipole speakers for Atmos and DTS:X?
post #58 of 185 Old 03-07-2017, 11:41 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipinmyhead View Post
How do you plan to apply immersive audio techniques to the current wave of VR products that are available? I've noticed a surprising lack of products that Integrate audio immersion.
Right now there aren't a lot of standard means of doing this if you use headphones with a VR headset because you would need head tracking to adjust the audio mix dynamically and current iterations of immersive audio standards don't support this.
thxman likes this.
post #59 of 185 Old 03-07-2017, 11:41 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked: 92
speaker placement, setting up atmos correctly. 20x11 room, sofa on back wall. Distance to tv approx 10ft.
I have yamaha rx-a2060 and all Klipsch speakers, 4 in-ceiling speakers
post #60 of 185 Old 03-07-2017, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiff21 View Post
I've seen people suggest that Bipole Speakers will mess up Atmos but also see brands like Definitive Technology making Bipole Speakers (P9080x) for Atmos. Are there pros and cons to not using Bipole speakers for Atmos and DTS:X?
Thanks, Jiff21. I had not thought of that. My THX system uses bipole speakers as side speakers. I hope Scott answers this question.

GurusInc
I used to know it all, but I forgot it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat

Tags
dolby atmos , dts:x , immersive audio , Sony

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page