First theater room setup help/problems atmos 5.1.2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 05-08-2017, 06:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
First theater room setup help/problems atmos 5.1.2

So excited to have my first theater room!! Just joined and can't wait to gain more knowledge and have a room that makes me not even want to go to the cinema!

Ok here is what I have

I have included picture so you can see my set up. Excuse the mess (laundry day). I know the atmos speakers are not on the ceiling yet. I upgraded avr's just a month or so ago. Going to get proper ceiling speakers soon. Went from 7.1 to 5.1.2 and just haven't moved speakers yet(or got new ones) to replace the quentets.

Onkyo txnr757 lfe set to 80hz

5.1.2 atmos setup

Klipsch r26f front L & R set to full ban

Klipsch quentet v for center souround rears and for atmos ceiling. All set to 120hz

Klipsch r10sw set to lfe gets signal from rocket fish wireless sub kit

2 aura bass shakers with 100w Dayton amp

Splitter on the rocketfish to send signal to Dayton amp

Problem,

I have adjusted and moved stuff till I'm blue in the face. I have ran setup with the mic numinous times. All distances seem to be pretty close. Sub is behind me in corner faced with port firing into wall and cone faced towards the screen. Phase set to 0*. Gain knob is half way up with avr sub level set to 0.

Main problem is if I put a movie in on direct dsp on the onkyo it starts to sound like it should like the theater. Low bass booms sometimes to much it's like some scenes sound great then to little or to much. So I contacted onkyo and was told to not use direct mode or dsp as it won't use any settings don't with the mic!?!?!??!?! So then I started setting it to either atmos,dtsx etc. when I do this it sounds like **** and I get vocals though the sub. All the sub bass booms are gone all together. Sounds like I don't even have a sub. It sounds like to me that way to much sound that shouldn't be coming out of the sub is. I am using a rocket fish wireless sub kit to send the signal. Have already taken it back and exchange it and it's still the same. I also am splitting the rca from the wireless sub kit to a splitter to power the amp on my buttkickers. To try and take that out of the equation I have unhooked to splitter and ran the sub signal cable into the sub directly. Sounds exactly the same. I feel like I'm against a wall. Doesn't matter what I do I can't get it to sound like it should with how much I have spent. Almost sounds like to me that the Lfe in the amp isn't doing its job. I know it's not the best stuff to get but should sound better than my lg sound bar and sub in my living room.

I'm looking to extend the room since I have a projector. When that happens I will be able to move to sub to the front of the room. Till then it has to be where it's at.

Thanks for any help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 05-08-2017, 06:22 AM - Thread Starter

Won't use any settings done with the setup mic in direct mode. . Sorry. Not sure how to edit on my phone.
post #3 of 14 Old 05-09-2017, 06:52 AM - Thread Starter

Any help would be great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 05-09-2017, 01:31 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 240 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9567 Post(s)
Liked: 6613
Quote:
Originally Posted by hadiclownsalty View Post
Any help would be great.
The separate LFE crossover should be 120hz.

All speakers should be set to small unless for some reason you can't set a separate crossover of 80hz for your front two larger speakers.

If that is the case then having them on large makes sense.

The crossover knob on the rear of the sub should be set to its maximum.

Did you run the microphone based EQ?

Geoff A. J., California
post #5 of 14 Old 05-09-2017, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Any help would be great.
Also it is possible that you plugged the RCA plug for the sub into Zone 2 Line Out instead of the top subwoofer preout.

Geoff A. J., California
post #6 of 14 Old 05-09-2017, 04:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gajCA View Post
Also it is possible that you plugged the RCA plug for the sub into Zone 2 Line Out instead of the top subwoofer preout.

I have the sub hooked into the sub out. I had it in the top sub out at first. Now it's in the bottom one that says sub pre out. But it does t say anything about zone 2 near the bottom rca plug. I can set the speakers to small or large but it only changes the size from small to large on the menus is you put the speaker to full band. If it's not on that setting the speakers stay small satellite size on the menu. So I can adjust each speaker crossover differently yes.

So I should set the sub LFE and the avr LFE to 120hz?
post #7 of 14 Old 05-09-2017, 04:48 PM - Thread Starter

I have also don't the setup with the mic a few times.
post #8 of 14 Old 05-09-2017, 05:03 PM - Thread Starter

Oh and should I also set the front speakers to 80hz Instead of full band? I think if I lower it to 80hz the speakers change from large to small size. It's automatic in the eq setting for some reason.
post #9 of 14 Old 05-09-2017, 06:51 PM

Quote:
I have the sub hooked into the sub out. I had it in the top sub out at first. Now it's in the bottom one that says sub pre out. But it does t say anything about zone 2 near the bottom rca plug. I can set the speakers to small or large but it only changes the size from small to large on the menus is you put the speaker to full band. If it's not on that setting the speakers stay small satellite size on the menu. So I can adjust each speaker crossover differently yes.

So I should set the sub LFE and the avr LFE to 120hz?
Max out the crossover on the back of the sub, set the LFE to 120hz.

Set all other speakers to small including the fronts and crossover the fronts at 80hz and the rest at 120hz.

There are two sub outs, top and bottom with the top one where you should plug in the rca from the sub.

Just to the left are the Zone 2 pre outs, top and bottom, don't plug anything in there.

Geoff A. J., California
post #10 of 14 Old 05-09-2017, 07:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gajCA View Post
Max out the crossover on the back of the sub, set the LFE to 120hz.

Set all other speakers to small including the fronts and crossover the fronts at 80hz and the rest at 120hz.

There are two sub outs, top and bottom with the top one where you should plug in the rca from the sub.

Just to the left are the Zone 2 pre outs, top and bottom, don't plug anything in there.

Ok. I will try this tonight and let you know. Thank you for your input.
post #11 of 14 Old 05-10-2017, 05:58 AM - Thread Starter

Tired these settings and it sounds a hell of allot better then it did. Thank you so much.
post #12 of 14 Old 05-10-2017, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Tired these settings and it sounds a hell of allot better then it did. Thank you so much.
Excellent.

The whole "voices coming out of the sub" thing was a weird one and still not sure how any of my suggestions might have helped unless you did have very very high crossover settings in your receiver.

Nevertheless don't be afraid to post in the receiver section, sharing your settings and getting tips, even start a thread.

I'm not really familiar with the terminology and quirks of Yamahas but have a great handle on Denons so I think a Yamaha owner can help you even more than I.

Geoff A. J., California
post #13 of 14 Old 05-10-2017, 05:39 PM - Thread Starter

Cool. Will do that. I have an onkyo. Not Yamaha.
post #14 of 14 Old 05-10-2017, 05:48 PM - Thread Starter

I don't know about the voices either. But I know now it's not like that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page