AVS Forum banner

Banana plugs on Amp vs. bare wire

67K views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  18Hurts 
#1 ·
I recently read an article (Sound and Vision?) and the editor mentioned that he NEVER uses banana plugs to connect his amp on his permanent system - only gear that he swaps out often.

I've been using banana plugs for years anywhere possible. Is there some unwritten rule about only using bare wire for amp connections, for a permanent setup?

#2 ·
I use banana plugs only on the AVR ends of my cables just because it's SO much easier to plug/unplug them in the confines behind my entertainment center. I use the bare wire to connect to my speakers. I've heard of people not liking banana plugs because it just adds a connection to the stream the could degrade the sound. That's really all I've heard on the subject.

#4 ·
if it sounds better I'll do it!
It doesn't sound better, or worse. I've never used plugs. I only swap out connections when I replace a component, so for me they serve no purpose.

Reactions: Ratman
#16 ·
I had speaker wires for a 7.2 system built into the walls in my new house. The contractor connected the wires bare at the main receiver location behind the wall plate. When I set up the system, I got duplicate sound in several speakers and the receiver shorted out (went into speaker protect mode and shut down). I replaced the contractor's bare wire connections with banana plugs. Presto! Problem solved. Sound is magnificent. Certainly no degradation that I'm noticing. No brainer -- banana plus over bare wire, particularly where connection terminals are close together.

#17 ·
If I know I will need to change out equipment within a year or two I use Banana Plugs. Otherwise bare wire is fine. Why put something in a line when you don't need to ?

An exception is equipment with tight hard to work with Amp connectioms. Then it's banana Plugs for sure. I have some equipment that I can't even get my fingertips to unscrew the connectors at all.

#18 ·
I'll zoom out for a bit

Don't worry about bananas--if you plug stuff into the wall it is the same concept. I wonder what the torque spec on 5 way binding posts is? Hmmm.... overthinking this again? I'd say so... As long as the voltage drop is less than 5 percent across the entire run, you are certified golden!

More importantly, what gives better light, the same bulb in the table lamp with a plug or the bulb in the ceiling fan hardwired in the ceiling? I used an AudioQest plug on the table lamp and the light was warmer... my wife said it was
waermer from the other room and even my dogs love me more. ;D Every illumiphile could vouce for that. Use your eyes, not what is behind them. Illumiphile is a trademark of 18 Industries, creating problems/solving problems for more than 25 parsecs. You deserve the best!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.