• 1 Post By qpvh79
  • 3 Post By jdsmoothie

post #1 of 14 Old 01-16-2018, 07:29 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 7
nueral x vs dolby surround

Can someone break this down for me , im not seeing any difference here which switching the modes during movies
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 01-16-2018, 12:49 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I'm not sure what the technical differences are between the two, but I can tell you that, to me, Dolby Surround upmixing sounds better than Neural X on my Denon 7200WA.

With Neural X upmixing stereo DTS sources, I've noticed that dialog and other front audio effects occasionally bleed into the surround channels. This never happens with Dolby Surround. In fact, Dolby Surround does such an incredible job of upmixing stereo movies that many of them sound like discrete surround mixes.
snpanago likes this.
post #3 of 14 Old 01-16-2018, 01:01 PM - Thread Starter

I do notice when putting the audio on nueral it seems like the center is louder and possibly the fronts are too , for sure you hear less loudness from the rear surrounds . Is this the opposite you are getting ?

IM gonna do some testing tonight
SuperFist likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 01-16-2018, 01:19 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamf4i7783 View Post
I do notice when putting the audio on nueral it seems like the center is louder and possibly the fronts are too , for sure you hear less loudness from the rear surrounds . Is this the opposite you are getting ?
I haven't noticed a difference in volume level between D.Surround and Neural X. Also haven't noticed any differences in quality when upmixing 5.1 to 7.1. They're both good at that.

I was only describing the differences I could hear when upmixing stereo movies. I was watching Clash of the Titans the other night (DTS MA Stereo), and noticed that Neural X was occasionally letting some of the dialog bleed into the rear channels, which sounded quite unnatural. Dolby Surround never does that.
SuperFist likes this.
post #5 of 14 Old 01-16-2018, 01:41 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 742 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22606 Post(s)
Liked: 12299
Quote:
Dolby Surround extracts ambient (uncorrelated) content from the base layer speakers, so the overhead sound is more about extending diffuse immersion overhead vs. trying to pinpoint effects. DTS Neural:X extracts correlated sound, so you'll get more precise "discrete sounding" effects moved to the overheads. Compared back to back, Dolby Surround will sound more "spacious" whereas DTS:Neural:X will sound more "aggressive" and "discrete" (ie. more audio coming from the height speakers).
SuperFist, jsgrise and Jonas2 like this.
post #6 of 14 Old 01-16-2018, 10:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked: 567
Just pick the mode that sounds best for you. Realize what sounds best may change - sometimes one is better for one movie and another is better for another movie. They both do similar things and since you have both, it doesn't hurt to try.
post #7 of 14 Old 01-17-2018, 12:12 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 1
What worf said,
you can read about this, just google for "dtsx-vs-dolby-atmos-part-ii-dolby-surround-vs-dts-neuralx"
the link from rantingsofamadaudiophile is it, i cant insert links right now, need more posts
i personaly use mostly DTS Neural:X, especialy just for watching standard TV.

SONY VPL-HW30ES | SONY KD-65XE7096 | SONY STR-DN 1080 | KLIPSCH R-28F / RP-440C / RP-140SA / R-12SW | HiMEDIA Q5 PRO | HTC Vive
post #8 of 14 Old 01-17-2018, 07:58 AM - Thread Starter

thanks for all the replies
post #9 of 14 Old 01-17-2018, 10:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 264
X sounds better in my room. pick what your ears like.

Processor Marantz AV8805 Amps Crown DCI/N x2 CT8150 x1 Speakers JBL PRO M2 x3 708i x4 328c x6 Subs SVS SB16 x2 Screen SI 160 Slate AT 1.2 Projector Epson TW5600 Media Steiger Dynamics Ikon Cables&Chords Wireworld & Belden
post #10 of 14 Old 01-19-2018, 06:42 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked: 45
You can only use Neural:X only for DTS-HD Master Audio and DTS:X right?

And you can only use Dolby Surround for Dolby TrueHD and Dolby Atmos correct?

For example, can you use Neural:X with Dolby Atmos or Dolby TrueHD?
post #11 of 14 Old 01-20-2018, 12:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked: 567
On early receivers, they limited you depending on the incoming format. A while later, they let you use either regardless of the sound format.
post #12 of 14 Old 07-31-2018, 11:46 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by qpvh79 View Post
I'm not sure what the technical differences are between the two, but I can tell you that, to me, Dolby Surround upmixing sounds better than Neural X on my Denon 7200WA.

With Neural X upmixing stereo DTS sources, I've noticed that dialog and other front audio effects occasionally bleed into the surround channels. This never happens with Dolby Surround. In fact, Dolby Surround does such an incredible job of upmixing stereo movies that many of them sound like discrete surround mixes.
I've watched some old 2.0 mono movies with Neural X engaged by default (since the movie was DTS-HD) on my Denon X6300 and it was almost as if I had turned on 7 channel stereo. I'm not sure what it's trying to do with these movies but, I am not a fan. The effect is very distracting. Dolby Surround leaves these films alone so that they sound like a mono movie should.

Denon AVR-X6300H, LG OLED55B7A, Sony UPB-X1100ES, Oppo BDP-103, Tivo Roamio OTA, Panasonic DMR-ES46V, Proscan PSLD-43, Audio-Technica AT-LP120-USB
Klipsch R-820f fronts, C-2 center, R-620 surrounds and F-2 back, Quintet V for Atmos, Monoprice Monolith 10", Velodyne VRP-10
post #13 of 14 Old 07-31-2018, 12:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 802 Post(s)
Liked: 499
Aside from what kind of material these upcoders produce, they appear to EQ material differently, with Neural X (and others) imposing what sounds like Room Gain type EQ on its material. Dolby Digital, to my ears, has a neutral tonal balance.

On my new Yamaha AVR, which offers several surround modes (many of them unique to Yamaha), Dolby Digital is consistently the least intrusive and most subtly effective. Neural X's EQ seems to affect all channels and degrades the articulation a bit.

For old mono movies where DD upcoding is inactive, I find that Yamaha's "Munich Hall" DSP adds a little depth via a subtle form of slap echo that mimics being in a cinema pretty well.
post #14 of 14 Old 05-11-2019, 09:11 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I understand this is an old thread, but thought I give my thoughts anyway. Obviously, it's personal preference between either Dolby Surround or DTS: Neural X as with which is 'better'. My personal preference is Dolby Surround by a considerable margin. That's not to imply that Nueral isn't any good, but I've found that Dolby Surround is more balanced, nuanced, and natural. I tested both in certain key scenes (which I chose) from 'The Predator' (pretty naff movie, but reference sound design). Without going into a long treatise here, in summary I personally find that Dolby Surround reproduces ambience and music better by expanding the entire sound field upwards, thus placing ambience more naturally around the sound stage and making it feels larger and more spaced out (in a good way). Individual effects (or 'objects') that are supposed to be in the height (I use 7.2.4 in ceiling speakers) are also accurately placed as well. For example, in 'The Predator' at around the 34 minute mark, a shotgun blast is fired within the bus directly upwards and the shot and reverberation is well established and cleanly heard using Dolby Surround. Conversely, Nueral X normally places only key sounds or objects with it thinks out to be placed above in the height channels and virtually ignores ambience and music expansion. Also, I found that with Neural X, the soundstage becomes more unnaturally aggressive to the point of being offensive, and that the LFE's from my two subs (dual calibrated using Audyssey Dual Sub EQ) are also unnaturally pronounced, aggressive, and less balanced/well integrated into the sound field. And using the previous case in point about the shotgun blast in the bus, that Nueral X was considerably more aggressive but, but again felt unnaturally so within the sound field. With Dolby Surround you can hear the shotgun blast and the reverberation upwards perfectly loud and clear but simply sounds more natural and not as forced as when Nueral X attempts the same thing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page