Directional Audio - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 01-25-2018, 11:31 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Directional Audio

Hi everyone.

Question about directional audio from surround left+rights:

About a year ago I set up my first 5.1 surround system with a cheap Insignia receiver from about 6-7 years ago. When listening to movies the surrounds did absolutely nothing, unless there was an off screen noise. I loved this.

Recently I've upgraded to a Denon AVR-X3200W with the same 5.1 speakers, and I've noticed a tonne of music and other junk that I don't want coming through those left and right surrounds. Is there a way to fix this?

Just to make note, I'm getting Dolby/DTS signals to the reciever: When I watch a movie with Dolby TrueHD (The Terminator for example) it shows up on the front display and in the menus as Dolby TrueHD. Thanks for your help in advance.
Mattmanhu is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 7 Old 01-25-2018, 11:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
eljaycanuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Posts: 9,790
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1865 Post(s)
Liked: 2617
IIRC, Audyssey's Dynamic EQ (DEQ) boosts surround audio a bit high. (For most situations, I don't find it to be an issue but, obviously, YMMV.)

You can try turning DEQ off and/or lowering the levels of your surround speakers by ~3dB (or to taste).

Last edited by eljaycanuck; 01-25-2018 at 11:39 AM.
eljaycanuck is offline  
post #3 of 7 Old 01-25-2018, 11:43 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by eljaycanuck View Post
IIRC, Audyssey's Dynamic EQ (DEQ) boosts surround audio a bit high. (For most situations, I don't find it to be an issue but, obviously, YMMV.)


You can try turning DEQ off and/or lowering the levels of your surround speakers by ~3dB (or to taste).
Will this eliminate music and other such signals being sent to the surround channels?
Mattmanhu is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 7 Old 01-25-2018, 11:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
eljaycanuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Posts: 9,790
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1865 Post(s)
Liked: 2617
DEQ applies a varying amount of boost as volume falls below reference level. It has no impact on how the receiver "distributes" audio signals to the various channels.
eljaycanuck is offline  
post #5 of 7 Old 01-25-2018, 11:47 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Alan P's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 11,521
Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6222 Post(s)
Liked: 5517
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattmanhu View Post
Will this eliminate music and other such signals being sent to the surround channels?
I can't say as I've noticed an over abundance of music in the surround channels, but there is a lot more activity in the surrounds in some recent movies when compared to older films.

Try turning DEQ off and see what you think. However, this will also eliminate the bass boost associated with DEQ (the good part of DEQ). I usually just turn down the surrounds by 3-5dB and keep DEQ on.
Alan P is offline  
post #6 of 7 Old 01-25-2018, 11:52 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan P View Post
I can't say as I've noticed an over abundance of music in the surround channels, but there is a lot more activity in the surrounds in some recent movies when compared to older films.

Try turning DEQ off and see what you think. However, this will also eliminate the bass boost associated with DEQ (the good part of DEQ). I usually just turn down the surrounds by 3-5dB and keep DEQ on.
Thanks for the input. Do you guys know why with the old reciever it was more discrete/directional? Were the older codecs more directional?
Mattmanhu is offline  
post #7 of 7 Old 01-25-2018, 11:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
eljaycanuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Posts: 9,790
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1865 Post(s)
Liked: 2617
The Insignia receiver was not equipped with Audyssey.
eljaycanuck is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat

Tags
directional , surround

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off