Atmos Question From an Absolute Dummy - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 01-28-2018, 06:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Atmos Question From an Absolute Dummy

OK, so right now, I'm working with a 7.1 system. The rears are pretty much ceiling mounted and facing down. Theoretically, could I switch these to an Atmos set up and not have to move them? They are slightly behind the main listening position and facing down directly at the listener. Can't find a solid answer anywhere. If not, I would consider getting the Andrew Jones Atmos speakers that upfire the sound, but my ceiling may be too high. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-28-2018, 11:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 2840 Post(s)
Liked: 1813
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisv784 View Post
OK, so right now, I'm working with a 7.1 system. The rears are pretty much ceiling mounted and facing down. Theoretically, could I switch these to an Atmos set up and not have to move them? They are slightly behind the main listening position and facing down directly at the listener. Can't find a solid answer anywhere. If not, I would consider getting the Andrew Jones Atmos speakers that upfire the sound, but my ceiling may be too high. Thanks!
No. For a two-speaker Atmos set up, they would not be in the right place. You must be sitting very close to a rear wall? If you are going to do Atmos, I'd recommend studying up on the Dolby site about the implementation and speaker placement.

7.2.4 System: Display: Sony XBR-65X930D; Processing: Anthem AVM60
Mains:
Paradigm Prestige 85F and 55C; Side / Rear Surrounds: Totem Acoustic Tribe III / Tribe I; Amplification: D-Sonic M3a-2800-7 (7ch. x 400w)
ATMOS:
Definitive Technology DI8R; Amplification: Class D Audio SDS-470C (4ch. x 300w)
Subwoofers:
2 x SVS-SB13Ultras; Media: Oppo UDP-203, Pioneer CLD-59
post #3 of 7 Old 01-28-2018, 12:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 958 Post(s)
Liked: 528
Sounds like you don't have very much room BEHIND your ears....nonetheless you can STILL be amazed by ATMOS sounds whirling around above your head. And ATMOS 7.1.2 is severely limited anyway....you have to CHOISE whether your want the Height signals to be in the FRONT, OVERHEAD or REAR location anyway....which is why they offer 7.1.4 (and 5.1.4) for a LOT more $$$'s.

Be sure to refer to my fol. three posts....esp. note that the Speakers located in the REAR of the Room are labeled #4 /5 in DD5.1, connected to L/R "SURROUND" AVR Terminals, but become Speakers #7 /8 in DD7.1, connected to L/R "REAR" AVR Terminals....and the "New" Speakers located on the SIDES of the Room are labeled #4 /5, connected to L/R "SURROUND BACK" AVR Terminals.

Note in 7.1.2 (or 5.1.2) ATMOS arrangement, you have to CHOSE from among SIX different physical layouts:
[ATMOS 7.1.4 or 7.1.4 ATMOS allows you to chose any TWO Pairs of Height Speaker Locations.]

Alt-A: L/R "HEIGHT" speakers located High against the FRONT WALL.

Alt B: Your choice of CEILING location: [and you COULD drive more than one Pair of Height Speakers]
i: Somewhere between FRONT-HEIGHT Speakers and Listener, or
ii: More or less ABOVE Listener, or
iii: Somewhere between REAR-HEIGHT Speakers and Listener].

Alt C: REFLECTED off the Ceiling into Listener's Ears from a secondary Height Speaker:
i: Located on top of LF/RF Speakers, or
ii: Located on top of LR/RR Speakers.

You COULD keep the L/R-Rear-High mounted Speakers where they are now and re-connect to ATMOS L/R "SURROUND-HIGH" AVR Terminals (#7 /8)....adding a pair of L/R SIDE Speakers closer to EAR height (or even a bit lower), connected to L/R "SURROUND BACK" AVR Terminals (#4 /5). Although diagram shows them directly to SIDES of the Listener Position....that is ONLY when there is lots of room BEHIND the Listener. In your case, you likely want them about 1/2-way between Front and Rear Speakers. Note that this

Or you COULD keep the L/R-Rear-High mounted Speakers where they are now, remaining connected to

2) You COULD keep the L/R-Rear-High mounted Speakers where they are and LEAVE them connected at L/R SURROUND Speakers (#4 /5)....adding a pair of Height Speakers in whichever location you chose from the above list.

Whether you want the Height "Special Effects to whirl around the Ceiling in FRONT, ABOVE or BEHIND you is YOUR Choice.....

Last edited by holl_ands; 01-28-2018 at 12:45 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 01-28-2018, 01:02 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the info guys. I decided to try out the Pioneer upfiring speakers. Ceiling it a little high, and has a SMALL slant to it, but they will be firing up at the flat part. From where they're going to be on my floorstanding speakers, it's only a distance of about 5 feet, so hopefully they work ok. According the manual for my AVR, I should be able to also keep the rear speakers hooked up as well. Attached the page from the manual. We'll see how the Pioneer's work. They should be here Tuesday. Excited to try them out!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	atmos.png
Views:	26
Size:	234.7 KB
ID:	2352580  
post #5 of 7 Old 01-28-2018, 01:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 438 Post(s)
Liked: 202
How about some pictures of the room and current placement? As mentioned, if your seating position is pushed against the back wall, you'd probably be better off doing 5.1.2 than 7.1, even if the height placement isn't ideal per the Dolby suggestions. Luckily there is a pretty decent amount of placement configuration flexibility built into ATMOS so I'd say you'll probably be able to find a setting that works reasonably well for your current speaker placement.

BenQ TK800 | Silver Ticket 106" 16:9 1.0 Grey | Marantz SR6011 | B&W P6 | B&W CDMC SE | Sonance .5 THX SUR | MCM In-Ceiling Atmos | Ascendant Avalanche 12" in 6 ft^3 @ 18Hz w/ BASH 500w Plate Amp | Sony X800 | NVidia Shield TV Pro | XBox One 500gb | Nintendo Switch | Harmony Smart Control | SmartThings Hub | Google Home | AT&T Fiber 300 | YouTube TV | Netflix | HBO Now | Spotify
post #6 of 7 Old 01-28-2018, 01:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Hopkins View Post
How about some pictures of the room and current placement? As mentioned, if your seating position is pushed against the back wall, you'd probably be better off doing 5.1.2 than 7.1, even if the height placement isn't ideal per the Dolby suggestions. Luckily there is a pretty decent amount of placement configuration flexibility built into ATMOS so I'd say you'll probably be able to find a setting that works reasonably well for your current speaker placement.
There's not a wall. The home theater room is essentially an addition to the house with no wall or anything. The room is a mess, because I'm also working on doing some rewiring, but this is the layout of the room. The circles are the two main listening positions. The ceiling is height in front is about 9 feet and it goes up going towards the back of the room to a height of roughly 11 feet.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Den.png
Views:	31
Size:	13.6 KB
ID:	2352586  
post #7 of 7 Old 01-29-2018, 09:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Liked: 477
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisv784 View Post
There's not a wall. The home theater room is essentially an addition to the house with no wall or anything. The room is a mess, because I'm also working on doing some rewiring, but this is the layout of the room. The circles are the two main listening positions. The ceiling is height in front is about 9 feet and it goes up going towards the back of the room to a height of roughly 11 feet.

Ideally, the heights would be directly over the MLP or slightly in front of the MLP, but that positioning you have there will work in a pinch. It shouldn't affect the sound imaging/positioning too drastically. Many people use Front Height positions or mount them at the highest point of the side walls, which are technically outside the recommended Atmos height speaker angles, but it seems to work well regardless.

Stand tall and shake the heavens...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page