Help with improving the sound in my theater - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 6Likes
  • 1 Post By drunkpenguin
  • 2 Post By drunkpenguin
  • 1 Post By unretarded
  • 1 Post By Alan P
  • 1 Post By Seeko

post #1 of 16 Old 03-26-2018, 11:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Help with improving the sound in my theater

Thanks for checking out my thread.

I'm seeking help in improving the sound in this theater. This room has a 7.2.2 setup with SVS primes all around and dual SVS PB-2000 subs and SVS Prime Satellites handling the height channels. I have a few questions about improving my setup that I'll list below...

The sound is okay on the front row seating, but the rear row has AWFUL echos and reverb to the point where I really dislike sitting back there. The "problematic" area that I have marked on the diagram is a section of the room that's cut in like a really shallow closet, where I actually have a side channel mounted into (SVS Prime Bookshelf speaker). I'm not sure if sound treatment can actually fix this, as the speaker is ported in the rear, which is behind a wall, which I'm not sure exactly what's happening to the sound... But I know it can't be good... Right? So I'm wondering if replacing the bookshelf speakers with these surround's would be the solution? The speaker itself pokes out from behind the wall, but the rear of the speaker is behind the wall.

Also, the bass in the rear seats echo pretty heavy as well. The rear row sits on a insulated vented riser, so is this actually helping or harming thesound? Could this have anything to do with the echo's I'm getting back there?

I'm looking to install sound treatment as well but I'm not quite sure where to start as far as placement. I need to do some more reading here on the forums to clear that up, but help would be appreciated.

And the final thing I'm seeking advice on is the height channels. I'm currently using SVS Prime Satellites, which are hanging from the ceiling, but I would like to install a more seamless in-ceiling solution for aesthetics and something that's going to match the sound stage of a SVS Prime system. Any recommendations?

All help with this setup is highly appreciated! Thanks again.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170822_005729.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	822.3 KB
ID:	2380802   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170822_005547.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	757.6 KB
ID:	2380804  

Last edited by Seeko; 03-26-2018 at 01:56 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 03-26-2018, 01:16 PM

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1898 Post(s)
Liked: 1821
Time to learn some sound treatment. Replacing speakers and moving speakers is not going to help you. Any pics of the room? What are the walls floors and ceiling made out of?
unretarded likes this.
post #3 of 16 Old 03-26-2018, 01:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkpenguin View Post
Time to learn some sound treatment. Replacing speakers and moving speakers is not going to help you. Any pics of the room? What are the walls floors and ceiling made out of?
Original post updated with photos.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 03-26-2018, 02:06 PM

Heres a good read to get your journey started. This is from Ethan Winer who was very respected around here. I don't see him post much these days. But the basic idea here is to eliminate the proper echo points. A basic setup treating the first reflection points will make a huge difference for you. You can take this journey as far as you want to go, but you need to learn to tune the room. There is software available that can help as well as many VERY intelligent people on this forum.

http://realtraps.com/art_room-setup.htm

http://realtraps.com/rfz.htm
Seeko and SmittyJS like this.
post #5 of 16 Old 03-26-2018, 02:12 PM - Thread Starter

Looking it over. Thanks.
post #6 of 16 Old 03-26-2018, 02:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1690 Post(s)
Liked: 2088
Seeko likes this.

Link to Stereo Integrity SI HT 18 sub build......https://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-di...-pedestal.html
Speakers and subs for sale...https://www.avsforum.com/forum/209-au...kers-subs.html
post #7 of 16 Old 03-27-2018, 11:43 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 136 Post(s)
Quoted: 6973 Post(s)
Liked: 6804
Concerning the bass issues; I notice you have dual subs, but both are placed up front. This is not going to give you the biggest benefit of duals - mode smoothing and a much wider sweet spot.

You need to move one of those subs to the back of the room if at all possible. This should help the bass department immensely.
leecreek likes this.
post #8 of 16 Old 03-27-2018, 11:59 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeko View Post
Looking it over. Thanks.
You can take the advice of Winer and many AVSers and absorb the first reflections (setting your room up like a recording studio), or you can utilize the decades of blind research testing that shows that most people prefer to have the side-wall first reflections intact, as they provide spaciousness and ambiance to the sound (setting your room up like a LISTENING room).

This book is a great resource for this topic if you really want to dive in: https://www.amazon.com/Sound-Reprodu.../dp/0240520092, and it also provides acoustic treatment layout recommendations at the end (absorbers and diffusers are still utilized, just not where AVSers typically recommend).

Ultimately it's personal preference. Make sure you want that type of sound before you blow a bunch of money on absorbing panels and then realize you hate the dead sound. You can test it with pillows or folded over towels at the reflection points before you buy anything.
post #9 of 16 Old 03-27-2018, 12:23 PM

Also, your front speakers are pretty low for the back row. Does the back row even have line-of-sight to the front speakers, particularly the center? If not, you only getting the reflected energy from the speakers, and none of the direct sound. That definitely won't sound right.
post #10 of 16 Old 03-27-2018, 05:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bochoss View Post
Also, your front speakers are pretty low for the back row. Does the back row even have line-of-sight to the front speakers, particularly the center? If not, you only getting the reflected energy from the speakers, and none of the direct sound. That definitely won't sound right.
You're right and I have noticed this. Should I put them on a stage? What about the center channel?
post #11 of 16 Old 03-27-2018, 05:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 747 Post(s)
Liked: 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan P View Post
Concerning the bass issues; I notice you have dual subs, but both are placed up front. This is not going to give you the biggest benefit of duals - mode smoothing and a much wider sweet spot.

You need to move one of those subs to the back of the room if at all possible. This should help the bass department immensely.
Or move the subs to the l+r wall facing each other, that would be the easiest. Then recalibrate. Who cares about the second seat?

Those heights are huge! I'd go 5.2.4 if you can. Lower the surrounds and change the rear to height.

Last edited by gregoryperkins; 03-27-2018 at 06:02 PM.
post #12 of 16 Old 03-28-2018, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeko View Post
You're right and I have noticed this. Should I put them on a stage? What about the center channel?
1) Yes, you could try raising the speakers somehow. See if you get line-of-sight from the back row with the center speaker right at the bottom edge of the screen. Aim the speakers up toward the seats if you can.

2) You could lower the screen, and put the center above the screen and aimed down at the seats, but this will likely sound very different from what you're used to, and the center might be too close to the ceiling. But it's already pretty close to the floor, so it's not exactly ideal either way. This also might block the back row from seeing the bottom edge of the screen, but at least they'd get direct sound from the center speaker.

3) The overall best solution is to get an acoustically transparent screen, and put your center speaker behind the screen at about the mid-point of the height, and pointed at the seats. The L/R speakers can be behind the screen, or just outside the screen, ideally at a similar height as the center. However, this requires buying a new screen which you might not be up for, plus the screen would have to be closer to the seats to accommodate the speakers fitting behind it.

Last edited by bochoss; 03-28-2018 at 10:03 AM.
post #13 of 16 Old 03-28-2018, 04:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bochoss View Post
1) Yes, you could try raising the speakers somehow. See if you get line-of-sight from the back row with the center speaker right at the bottom edge of the screen. Aim the speakers up toward the seats if you can.

2) You could lower the screen, and put the center above the screen and aimed down at the seats, but this will likely sound very different from what you're used to, and the center might be too close to the ceiling. But it's already pretty close to the floor, so it's not exactly ideal either way. This also might block the back row from seeing the bottom edge of the screen, but at least they'd get direct sound from the center speaker.

3) The overall best solution is to get an acoustically transparent screen, and put your center speaker behind the screen at about the mid-point of the height, and pointed at the seats. The L/R speakers can be behind the screen, or just outside the screen, ideally at a similar height as the center. However, this requires buying a new screen which you might not be up for, plus the screen would have to be closer to the seats to accommodate the speakers fitting behind it.
I think a lot of this will be corrected with my next theater build. That soffit kinda prohibits me from raising the screen or doing anything bigger. I dont really have much space to bring the wall up, as it's measured just right from the front row. I may just install some treatments, raise and angle the speakers up a little and call it a day. This is informative. Learning a lot that I may not have learned, had I not built the theater first.
drunkpenguin likes this.
post #14 of 16 Old 03-29-2018, 08:22 AM

It's a journey that doesn't end for years if ever. I researched the heck out of theater building before the house blueprints even started. But still over the years I tweaked and tweaked and now about a decade later I finally feel like I have the perfect sound.
post #15 of 16 Old 03-29-2018, 08:51 AM - Thread Starter

lol, chasing the Dragon 🐉
post #16 of 16 Old 04-04-2018, 12:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1307 Post(s)
Liked: 1150
https://www.hulu.com/watch/253589

DIY FAN Denon X4400 , ATI A 2000 for 7.4.6 SCATMOS Sammy 82" 4K/HDR
L/R: Fusion 15 V2 , C: 88 Special , SL/SR: 88 Special(V2) , RL/RR: F-3, TF/TR: Volt 6's TM: SLX, FH: F4Q4
SUBMAXIMUS V2, ,Submaximus V3,LOWARHORNCustom Dual Driver VBSS,2 x 6000DSP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page