Commercial theater vs yours... - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 95Likes

post #61 of 102 Old 11-10-2018, 12:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 788 Post(s)
Liked: 487
Maybe the general public doesn't care how all of this is achieved. However, AVS, I would like to think, is a community of amateur enthusiasts who seek insight and enlightenment about how all of this is achieved through the exchange of ideas and experiences.

Now I'm reading things like "mob," the drudgery of others' lives and the dismissal of a cinema industry that has generally made substantial investments and great strides in improving the moviegoing experience for the "masses." It smacks of elitist snobbery.
4891ttt likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 102 Old 11-12-2018, 12:15 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Quoted: 3681 Post(s)
Liked: 4178
There is really only a few dozen seats that have properly balanced sound (and you can never get them).
The rest of the people hear either way too much left or right, or too much rear or too much front.
The people in the front row literally die from neck strain.
Hundreds are sitting in un-optimal locations.

Why does my neck feel like it was punched by Mike Tyson, and BTW the acting in this movie feels very: Front-Left

The speakers are only flat from "maybe" 30hz to 2khz, often highly distorted and shrill; and the bass never goes above 115db.

The popcorn prices are highway robbery, the distractions are endless, and with no way to hit pause/rewind, or re-watch it multiple times for free.

Having unprotected sex with strangers is likely cleaner and safer than sitting in those leper/mange/druggy chairs.

No thanks... I'll pass.

Last edited by BassThatHz; 11-12-2018 at 12:22 PM.
post #63 of 102 Old 11-12-2018, 12:28 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I cannot even remember the last time the wife and I went to a movie in a theater....probably over 10 years.....take what seat you can get, someone inevitably bathed in perfume or cologne, gabbing, snack noises, expense, inconvenience. Our home system is not high end compared to many here but it is much more enjoyable than the movie house experience for both of us.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 102 Old 11-12-2018, 03:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 516 Post(s)
Liked: 226
We often hear people complain that they can't hear dialogue very well. The wife and I were on a cruise, and one night way out in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean we grabbed a couple of lounge chairs and sat down around the pool to watch a movie, outside.
The dialogue was excellent even with all of the distractions and outside noise.
The commercial theater experience can be good. Someone just needs to care enough about it, and take the time to set things up properly.
post #65 of 102 Old 11-12-2018, 06:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 181 Post(s)
Quoted: 3687 Post(s)
Liked: 3283
I don't know, I still like going to the theater. Something about seeing a movie on release and larger room acoustics that I like. But I get it, there are a lot of potential downsides too.
post #66 of 102 Old 11-12-2018, 06:45 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 456 Post(s)
Liked: 121
This is a real sore subject for me, as going to our local theatre pretty much ruined my life .

I have never gone to a theatre for years ,and my friend who’s about as intelligent as an idiot savant , minus the savant part , told me how incredible the sound was in the theatre here .
So I went to watch King Kong , and my ears were in pain as i was watching the movie in some scenes . I’ve never heard such over bearing loud horrible sound like this in my life . Hardly and highs and lows , just mass quantities of midrange and midbass .

Well my right ear went deaf during this sound exposure . The ear drum in my right ear had actually bent , and when it straightened out the next day , the hearing came back , but I have a permanent high frequency tone called tinnitus in it for the rest of my life now .
So now I never expose myself to a scenario where I can’t regulate the sound .

LG OLED65B7P.
Anthem AVM60 , Anthem MCA525 .
Panasonic DP-UB820 UHD player .
Paradigm Studio CC690 V5 centre channel , Studio 100 V5’s front and rear . Paradigm PW-2200 subwoofer
post #67 of 102 Old 11-12-2018, 07:04 PM

Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorTendonitis View Post
Well my right ear went deaf during this sound exposure . The ear drum in my right ear had actually bent , and when it straightened out the next day , the hearing came back , but I have a permanent high frequency tone called tinnitus in it for the rest of my life now.
What? I thought T-800 is much sturdier than that.
shivaji likes this.
post #68 of 102 Old 11-12-2018, 07:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 456 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by psyberlogy View Post
What? I thought T-800 is much sturdier than that.
Lmao !
No I think that was the next Gen
shivaji likes this.

LG OLED65B7P.
Anthem AVM60 , Anthem MCA525 .
Panasonic DP-UB820 UHD player .
Paradigm Studio CC690 V5 centre channel , Studio 100 V5’s front and rear . Paradigm PW-2200 subwoofer
post #69 of 102 Old 11-12-2018, 07:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked: 425
I still like going to the theater, especially Dolby Cinema.

HDR Colorist and Conversions
INTO THE CAVE OF WONDERS
Directed by MANUEL BENITO DE VALLE Produced by PEDRO PABLO FIGUEROA
Cast MANUEL ANGEL REINA, CLAUDIA GARROTE
LOVETHEFRAME STORIES, SOUNDTRACKS AND FILMS
post #70 of 102 Old 12-13-2018, 02:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked: 324
Well today was the day. I took the day off from life and went to see Robin hood. The theater was under construction, noticed this after buy my ticket. Found my seat and I'm like "all I hear is right channel?! So the movie starts and i swear to God the center channels tweeter was not working. It was like someone threw a mattress in front of the speaker. Then s bright scene came and lit up the room, about 200 seat cushions were stacked in front on the floor just below the screen. Reflecting light back and all weird angles!

First time I ever walked out and wanted money back. Told them they had atleast one blown speaker and a surround was popping. Went to a theater a few miles away and the same movie was just starting by the time I'd get there. So a beautiful freaks and geeks Linda cardelini look alike gave me a ticket, I go in and I'm like hmmm these are different previews. Movie starts and its Ralph breaks the internet. Go back out and complain and finally got the right movie going.

Think I'm done with them lol. Atleast the speakers sounded good. No way the center had a working tweeter in the other theater lol. Crazy day for movies. I'm currently recovering listening to music on my mirage m290s, love these little speakers lol.
unretarded likes this.

- 6 BA CR6 array center channel, QSC AD-S82 L/R, 4 jbl 8330a surr , 8 jbl 12" subs w/Inuke 6000. JVC rs420, Denon x4000, Sony x800 -

Last edited by trilkb; 12-13-2018 at 02:36 PM.
post #71 of 102 Old 12-13-2018, 02:29 PM

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 156
I don't think it is too hard to beat the "technical" movie theater performance...

But, going to the theater is an experience in itself, and I think you can't replace that, for some people...
m0j0 likes this.

Shane
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it.” ― George Orwell
- The Unemployment Basement Project -
post #72 of 102 Old 12-13-2018, 05:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1792 Post(s)
Liked: 1483
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane661 View Post
But, going to the theater is an experience in itself, and I think you can't replace that, for some people...
It's usually an awful experience because of other (inconsiderate) people.
Ratman likes this.

“You are not special. You are not a beautiful and unique snowflake.” Chuck Palahniuk
post #73 of 102 Old 12-14-2018, 08:19 AM

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by A9X-308 View Post
It's usually an awful experience because of other (inconsiderate) people.
It is not always. I recently saw Bohemian Rhapsody and had nothing objectionable in a packed theater. It can be enjoyable watching a movie with a well behaved audience. There is something about the community experience that can not be reproduced at home.

There are times though, that my home is much better (most times). I know what the quality of the picture or sound will be, because I control it. I have fine tuned all aspects for my preferences. Too loud, turn it down, not enough bass, turn it up etc. My seat is my seat, I never have to worry will I be stuck in a bad location, can I reserve the seats I want etc. Need a bathroom break, just pause the show.
PrimeTime and KenM10759 like this.
post #74 of 102 Old 12-14-2018, 12:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Highfalutin' talk about the sacrosanct Director/Artist's Intent aside, how can a good movie's carefully constructed Suspension of Disbelief survive a bathroom break?

At home women seem to require them, but I can't remember an occasion at the cinema house that my wife got up and left the movie in progress for one-- and that's with popcorn and soda going on. Which I offer as a testament to the immersive quality of the not-home theater experience.
shivaji and fill35U like this.

Last edited by PrimeTime; 12-14-2018 at 12:59 PM.
post #75 of 102 Old 12-14-2018, 01:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane661 View Post
I've found metaphorically, in life, that most people will give away a lot of performance for a chocolate bar.

Said Julie Andrews to James Garner via Paddy Chayefsky.
post #76 of 102 Old 12-14-2018, 01:18 PM

If I can be entertained by giant robots fighting giant monsters (Pacific Rim), then I can get past a bathroom break and jump back into the movie undisturbed. It could also be that I am easily entertained.
1st Cav and MJB1023 like this.
post #77 of 102 Old 12-14-2018, 08:51 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Here in Raleigh, the closest Atmos theater is 40 minutes away in good traffic. We have a nice IMAX theater located in a downtown museum. If I go to the theater, it is always in one of those venues. Truthfully, my home theater is so much more enjoyable in nearly every way. I saw the latest "Fantastic Beasts" movie a few weeks ago at the IMAX theater and the SPLs were painful at times. I usually listen to movies at 10 db under reference at home, which is plenty loud without becoming shrill.
post #78 of 102 Old 12-14-2018, 11:33 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 9
I don't really think that you can compare the two.

It's a bit like drinking at home, Toilet never has a queue and the quality of the beverage is far superior at home.
But it's just not the same as going down to the local pub, If you like that sort of thing of course.

Also, comparing the quality of the cinema to your own system is biased because you have naturally set your system up for your own tastes. That doesn't make it "better" it just makes it better for you. (which is a good thing).

Last time I went to a cinema (was actually a production at a museum type thing) I was actually impressed by how well it sounded in my poorly assigned seats, and then started to wonder what kind of compromises are made so that everyone can enjoy the show....
I never thought to compare it to home though.

Amp: Yamaha RX-V383
L&R: Dali Zensor 5
Center: Dali Zensor Vokal
Rear: Dali Spektor 2
Sub: Polk PSW 110
post #79 of 102 Old 12-15-2018, 01:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpostal View Post
If I can be entertained by giant robots fighting giant monsters (Pacific Rim), then I can get past a bathroom break and jump back into the movie undisturbed. It could also be that I am easily entertained.
With that genre, I'm not sure that a viewer's Disbelief is capable of suspension. You're almost always in overdrive -- simple enough to resume. With Mad Max: Fury Road I just stopped trying to follow the strange plotline and enjoyed the props, scenery and sensory-overload ride. The end seemed rather arbitrary -- useful for potential sequels when so-called franchise movies are involved.

In Bohemian Rhapsody, the portrayal of Freddie Mercury is so convincing that you feel that you're watching Queen until, at the credits, you awaken from the dream and realize that it's just a cinematic conception. It helps, of course, that he was an actual living person.
xpostal likes this.
post #80 of 102 Old 12-18-2018, 05:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkpenguin View Post
The number one reason I built a home theater was to avoid commercial theaters!

My system sounds better,
looks better,
I can pause it when I need to,
I shut it off if the movie sucks,
the foods better,
the foods cheaper,
theres no commercials,
my floors arent sticky,
the chairs don't squeak,
nobody kicks my seat,
nobody talks on a cell phone,
it's never out of focus,
there's never spit wads on the screen,
the room temperature is where I want it,
AND NO CRYING BABIES!!!!
You forgot one;

You always get the sweet spot.
1st Cav, xpostal and unretarded like this.
post #81 of 102 Old 12-18-2018, 12:39 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by josh6113 View Post
I much prefer my home system than a theater.My definitive 9060's plus the likes of Netflix and Vudu streaming that give you movies in a very short time after they hit theaters is the way to go.

You can pause when you like..take a break whenever,eat,drink what you want.Its just a better experience at home now than ever before.

I say do away with movie theaters and let's bring back drive-in theaters...now those were a fun night out...and worth the price of entry...plus you see 2 movies instead of one....ah good times,good times.

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk
I'm only 5 months late to this response, BUT, there are fantastic at home solutions for outdoor theaters with the same great benefits as at home indoor movies! Better food thats cheaper, you get to say who comes, you get to watch what you want, Karaoke included! Its a great way to bring the fun of a drive in to the kids who will never get to see one.
post #82 of 102 Old 12-18-2018, 12:52 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4891ttt View Post
The speakers used in movie theaters are often very well designed (some are actually close to perfection). In fact, a good cinema speaker can easily be described as 'high-end'.
Imagic did a great recap of this when he put Behringer B215XLs as his home theater front stage (LCR) People acted surprised that 'ugly' PA speakers (Pro speakers, although low end) sounded as good or better than some of the 'pretty' cabinets for sale at big box outlets, and were a truckload less expensive.

And as the DiY speakers and subs forum agrees, its sitting in the dark, it doesn't need to be 'pretty' to sound good.

Tl;DR Yep, good theater speakers ARE high end.
4891ttt and unretarded like this.
post #83 of 102 Old 12-18-2018, 10:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Strangely I'm the only person I know with any kind of HT system so it's been tough to compare how well home can compete with commercial. When I do hear someone's HT it's just some tower speakers, satellites, and sub... with not a lot of calibration or balance. But my opinions on commercial theaters - have found that the better these theaters have gotten over the years the less you are bothered by other people talking. In the Washington, DC area there are a few very well-calibrated theaters (at least to my ears) and being bothered by idiots has been a thing of the past. At least I've stuck to either the Atmos or Imax auditoriums at the Tysons AMC. Specifically that theater opened in 2006 with a sound presentation beyond anything I'd ever heard. Noticed a few AMCs that had good quality control. Over the years it declined - usually the issue has been poor or non-existent bass. Tysons' Atmos theater has been quite consistent and is the one I use the most. I have heard no sound better than that. There definitely is a correlation between a properly calibrated system (even with off-axis seats) and the greatest of idiots being able to stay focused on the movie without having to secrete any noises or inane thoughts. The best bet has been AMC for this even without Imax or Atmos. Arclight Bethesda does this wonderfully too despite I am not crazy about the type of horns used in their speakers, or at least I think the highs sound too rolled-off in their auditoriums.
post #84 of 102 Old 12-24-2018, 11:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon D View Post
Over the years it declined - usually the issue has been poor or non-existent bass.
In the Hollywood/Burbank area, where there a several elaborate cinemas, often the problem is overbearing bass.

I sometimes wonder if the projectionists are trying to impress the professional mastering engineers who may be in attendance.
post #85 of 102 Old 02-28-2019, 01:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked: 324
Quote:
Originally Posted by A9X-308 View Post
Lots of us. It's impossible to get the low distortion and LFE clarity especially, in a space designed for hundreds of people, when it is with sufficient effort in a reasonable domestic space.

Plus you don't have to deal with idiots on their phones. Heck the last time I went to a commercial theatre, we had to repeatedly call out to get the projectionist to get it in focus. And it wasn't even close to start with.
Lol, I dont even want to know, all of our theaters here are basically automated, I dont even think anyone hits a start button. The two times Ive been in a theater with the wrong movie playing I had to get up and walk to the front, noone was even in the projector room.

- 6 BA CR6 array center channel, QSC AD-S82 L/R, 4 jbl 8330a surr , 8 jbl 12" subs w/Inuke 6000. JVC rs420, Denon x4000, Sony x800 -
post #86 of 102 Old 02-28-2019, 02:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1792 Post(s)
Liked: 1483
Quote:
Originally Posted by trilkb View Post
Lol, I dont even want to know, all of our theaters here are basically automated, I dont even think anyone hits a start button.
That incident was some years ago. Dunno how it is here today, but I suspect it's similar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trilkb View Post
The two times Ive been in a theater with the wrong movie playing I had to get up and walk to the front, noone was even in the projector room.
If that had happened to me, you would have heard me berating the management in the next suburb.

“You are not special. You are not a beautiful and unique snowflake.” Chuck Palahniuk
post #87 of 102 Old 04-24-2019, 07:56 AM

Last night I had a terrible theater experience. I was so angry by the time the movies started it took me a while to start to relax and enjoy the actual movie. I went to see Captain Marvel for a 9:30 showing. I arrive to the theater at 9:35 with a pre-purchased seat. No worries about finding a seat I figured I may miss a trailer or two but no big deal. I don't like to watch most trailers due to Hollywood's insistence on showing the entire move to get me to see a move. You know after seeing the enter movie in the trailer, I am less inclined to want to see it again. Rant for another thread I am sure.

I get my seat and was subjected to 30 minutes of commercials and ads for apps and other things. No trailers, just commercials. Why am I paying to see commercials? Even one or two would put me off, but 35 minutes of this crap, then the trailers. I am not kidding. I checked the time when the Marvel intro starts and it was 10:25. I double checked my ticket and it says 9:30. This is not acceptable. So 55 minutes after the scheduled start the actual movie starts. It turns into a much later night than I expected and will keep me out of the commercial theaters if this becomes the norm.

As for the technical experience I give it a 6/10.
The seats were the nice powered recliners. I like them, but have recliners at home.
Sound was OK, nothing special, bass was a bit disappointing. I have better at home.
Picture quality was OK. It was digital, but no 3-D. I found it was a bit dim, the dark scenes were too dark and lost detail. I also think the focus was off a little bit. My projector is definitely dialed in better.
There was also some marks on the screen. It is possible they tried to clean it and it left some marks. It only showed in a couple scenes. My home screen also has a few spots (kids) on the bottom edge that only shows in full screen lights scenes, never in movies.

One win for the theater, they have an Icee machine, my home theater does not but I could buy one, but my waist line prefers I do not.

The negatives are starting to outweigh the positives. Other than wanting to see a movie now, why should I leave the house? There is something about the theater experience, audience reactions and such that add to it. The screen while taking up less of the area in front of my face still seems larger than at home. It could be the high ceiling and overall space I cannot duplicate at home. Nearly an hour of crap before the movie starts is totally unacceptable to me. I would pay a dollar or two more to just see the show or just stay home.

I will see Avengers Endgame on Tuesday (I have the tickets already) and will see if my experience is the same.
mcallister likes this.
post #88 of 102 Old 04-24-2019, 02:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by xpostal View Post
Last night I had a terrible theater experience. I was so angry by the time the movies started it took me a while to start to relax and enjoy the actual movie. I went to see Captain Marvel for a 9:30 showing. I arrive to the theater at 9:35 with a pre-purchased seat. No worries about finding a seat I figured I may miss a trailer or two but no big deal. I don't like to watch most trailers due to Hollywood's insistence on showing the entire move to get me to see a move. You know after seeing the enter movie in the trailer, I am less inclined to want to see it again. Rant for another thread I am sure.

I get my seat and was subjected to 30 minutes of commercials and ads for apps and other things. No trailers, just commercials. Why am I paying to see commercials? Even one or two would put me off, but 35 minutes of this crap, then the trailers. I am not kidding. I checked the time when the Marvel intro starts and it was 10:25. I double checked my ticket and it says 9:30. This is not acceptable. So 55 minutes after the scheduled start the actual movie starts. It turns into a much later night than I expected and will keep me out of the commercial theaters if this becomes the norm.

As for the technical experience I give it a 6/10.
The seats were the nice powered recliners. I like them, but have recliners at home.
Sound was OK, nothing special, bass was a bit disappointing. I have better at home.
Picture quality was OK. It was digital, but no 3-D. I found it was a bit dim, the dark scenes were too dark and lost detail. I also think the focus was off a little bit. My projector is definitely dialed in better.
There was also some marks on the screen. It is possible they tried to clean it and it left some marks. It only showed in a couple scenes. My home screen also has a few spots (kids) on the bottom edge that only shows in full screen lights scenes, never in movies.

One win for the theater, they have an Icee machine, my home theater does not but I could buy one, but my waist line prefers I do not.

The negatives are starting to outweigh the positives. Other than wanting to see a movie now, why should I leave the house? There is something about the theater experience, audience reactions and such that add to it. The screen while taking up less of the area in front of my face still seems larger than at home. It could be the high ceiling and overall space I cannot duplicate at home. Nearly an hour of crap before the movie starts is totally unacceptable to me. I would pay a dollar or two more to just see the show or just stay home.

I will see Avengers Endgame on Tuesday (I have the tickets already) and will see if my experience is the same.

I’m with you on the amount of previews/commercials before the movie. It’s out of control. The actual movie start time should be on the ticket, play all that other **** before.
xpostal likes this.

post #89 of 102 Old 04-24-2019, 02:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 468 Post(s)
Liked: 386
The last movie I saw was Captain Marvel and I could not believe how bad the audio was, totally lacking in anything even resembling bass. I came out of there thinking to myself that going to the movies may never be good for me again now that I have my home setup dialed in.
post #90 of 102 Old 04-24-2019, 02:46 PM

I have seen a few commercials before a showing and been annoyed, but last night was out of control. I was wondering if there was a technical issue or it was only a the last showing so they could run it late and squeezed in as much as possible. It does not seem right. I will be at the same theater next week and relay my findings. I truly hope this was a one off night.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page