Commercial theater vs yours... - Page 4 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 95Likes

post #91 of 102 Old 04-27-2019, 02:47 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by m0j0 View Post
The last movie I saw was Captain Marvel and I could not believe how bad the audio was, totally lacking in anything even resembling bass. I came out of there thinking to myself that going to the movies may never be good for me again now that I have my home setup dialed in.
So true, that's one area the theater will always lack vs a good home setup. Since the theater has to try to provide ok sounds for the whole room vs a very specific spot, the "king seat", home audio often leaves theater s in the dust.
m0j0 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 102 Old 04-27-2019, 04:57 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by trilkb View Post
Last week I went and saw jurassic world 2, today I saw deadpool 2. I just threw in tomb raider cradle of life...instantly I'm back in happy movie mode. Audio is just crap in standard commercial theaters. Dolby theaters are ok. I walked out of jurassic world and said "Wow that sounded sooo bad". I never thought I'd be in the "my theater is better then a commercial theater" boat, but it does exist and I'm glad I'm there.

Who else is there?

My missus is not a movie fan and hates my home theatre, wondering why I spend so much time and money on it. But she took our little girl to the cinema today, came home and said ours is better

And I haven't even gone close to finishing it yet.....
xpostal and fill35U like this.
post #93 of 102 Old 04-27-2019, 06:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked: 382
Quote:
Originally Posted by niterida View Post
My missus is not a movie fan and hates my home theatre, wondering why I spend so much time and money on it. But she took our little girl to the cinema today, came home and said ours is better

And I haven't even gone close to finishing it yet.....

That's what we call "vindication" my friend!
mcallister and xpostal like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #94 of 102 Old 04-29-2019, 11:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 641 Post(s)
Liked: 324
See this is back from the dead lol.

Im going to see avengers tonight....fingers crossed the audience isnt full of mouth breathing, snack chomping, hacking, coughing, scratching neanderthals with their horde of children yelling out every time they see a character "LOOK DADDY ITS BATMAN!!! LOOK! LOOK! LOOK! LOOK! - " ...."no...thats not batman"
xpostal and JohnnyWilkinson like this.

- 6 BA CR6 array center channel, QSC AD-S82 L/R, 4 jbl 8330a surr , 8 jbl 12" subs w/Inuke 6000. JVC rs420, Denon x4000, Sony x800 -
post #95 of 102 Old 04-30-2019, 06:58 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by trilkb View Post
See this is back from the dead lol.

Im going to see avengers tonight....fingers crossed the audience isnt full of mouth breathing, snack chomping, hacking, coughing, scratching neanderthals with their horde of children yelling out every time they see a character "LOOK DADDY ITS BATMAN!!! LOOK! LOOK! LOOK! LOOK! - " ...."no...thats not batman"
👍👍👍👍
post #96 of 102 Old 05-01-2019, 09:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 641 Post(s)
Liked: 324
It was ok. Bunch of idiots still. Cant fix stupid. When theres 2 entrances and exits on the left and right of the theater (so noone has to walk in front of the screen) and they cant figure it out I just want to hit them. Then kids were running around the whole time. I hate people.

I remember seeing matrix and pirate of the caribbean and star was episode 3 on opening weekends and being jam packed into a theater and not having these issues. Its like people were so crammed in the theater that they didnt want to get up and disturb 20 people in a row. Now with recliners they can walk in front of them easier and hey, give em an inch and they take a mile.

There needs to be a law that until 7 days from opening day you cant take your kids to a movie unless its rated G and its a kids movie. There were F-ing 5 year olds in this, what they hell are people thinking? Do you think that 5 year old absorbed anything from End Game? Other than 64 oz of sugar?
Alan P likes this.

- 6 BA CR6 array center channel, QSC AD-S82 L/R, 4 jbl 8330a surr , 8 jbl 12" subs w/Inuke 6000. JVC rs420, Denon x4000, Sony x800 -
post #97 of 102 Old 05-05-2019, 07:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 739 Post(s)
Liked: 681
My theater is significantly better than any of the commercial theaters I have been in on the audio side, and better than all that I have been in on the video side with the exception of the IMAX in Universal Studios.

The audio has gotten so bad - I watched Endgame and the volume was ridiculously low, no dynamics, no bass, minimal surround effects, nothing. I thought theaters are supposed to be played at reference level, but my theater at a calibrated -12 is louder than any movie I've watched in a theater the past 3 years.
m0j0 likes this.
post #98 of 102 Old 05-05-2019, 08:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked: 382
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveCallas View Post
My theater is significantly better than any of the commercial theaters I have been in on the audio side, and better than all that I have been in on the video side with the exception of the IMAX in Universal Studios.

The audio has gotten so bad - I watched Endgame and the volume was ridiculously low, no dynamics, no bass, minimal surround effects, nothing. I thought theaters are supposed to be played at reference level, but my theater at a calibrated -12 is louder than any movie I've watched in a theater the past 3 years.

It really is a travesty. I wish they would just speed up the release of movies to blu ray or streaming. Movie theaters aren't really even playing a movie after a month or two, so why not release it sooner? That would make it so much easier for everyone!
post #99 of 102 Old 05-05-2019, 10:35 AM

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Here is my report from this past Tuesday viewing of Avengers Endgame. I can start out by saying it may be tough getting my wife out to the theater after that evening's performance. It was not the movie, or the theater. The movie was entertaining, and the theater we saw it was top notch, best screen/projector/sound combo of the 10 screens at that Theater. It was shown in 3D and the presentation was great. Crisp and bright enough. Seating and sound were excellent.

But.....the people. I would say Neanderthals, but that may insult them.

Next to my wife sat a man that was belching throughout the movie. Quite loud and disgusting. It disturbed her tremendously. Next to me was a couple that would not shut up throughout the movie. The girlfriend obviously never saw most of the Marvel movies and kept asking questions. The boyfriend should have shut it down, but nope. He engaged in long winded explanations of characters and and plots. It was quiet talking but SUPER annoying. We tried to quiet them nicely but the girlfriend was twice my size and the guy bigger than her. Not a battle we were going to win.
Some people don't care about anyone else but themselves and don't think they are ruining the experience for others.

I will be back to waiting several weeks and going mid week or Sunday morning to a less crowded showing. I was ducking spoilers for this movie and could not wait and paid the price.

This time Home Theater Wins, it is not even close. Had the audience been on better behavior, it would be super close with the edge going to the commercial theater.
post #100 of 102 Old 05-06-2019, 09:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 788 Post(s)
Liked: 487
^^ That happens sometimes. It's simply one of the downsides of risking a public experience. Win some, lose some. They're not all bad.

As a rule when we want to see what all the fuss is about (like Bohemian Rhapsody), we wait a few weeks for all the fans to have seen it and then try and go in the midweek afternoon around happy hour at the Americana. (Ah, the pleasures of being older....)
xpostal likes this.
post #101 of 102 Old 05-07-2019, 09:28 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Definitely home, unless it is a movie we want to see in IMAX such as Jurassic World or Infinity Wars. When we do go, it is on a Friday late morning or early afternoon after the move has been out for awhile. Each time there have been less than eight people, including the two of us, in the theater. It is 100 miles away, but worth it.
xpostal likes this.
post #102 of 102 Old 05-07-2019, 12:08 PM

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by titan ii View Post
Definitely home, unless it is a movie we want to see in IMAX such as Jurassic World or Infinity Wars. When we do go, it is on a Friday late morning or early afternoon after the move has been out for awhile. Each time there have been less than eight people, including the two of us, in the theater. It is 100 miles away, but worth it.
100 miles, that is dedication.

Next up on my must see in a commercial theater will be Godzilla in an IMAX near me. I will wait a week or two, as there are no real spoilers I am worried about. I loved the monster movies when I was a kid, so I am all in on this one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page